Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I signed my life away for the sake of city centre apt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rent is dead money folks.

Property always goes up.

Bad and all as this woman is, she has some sort of an excuse. Buyers now, don't.

There is still people out there swallowing this bull.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pittens wrote: »
    Indeed they are. If in doubt go look at the property threads - use the search function. I have lurked for a long time and I know what is going on

Well done.

If you read my posts you would see that I had a problem with the pleasure people were taking out of the girls bad mistakes. I just don't think that is very nice, thats all. Someone comes on and admits what they did was a disaster, a huge mistake and all (some) people can do is come on and laugh, get pleasure out of that fact.

She admits the mistakes she makes and all some people can do is log on to reiterate what she has just said with venom, bad language and name calling and assuming she drinks a certain coffee..

At least she has the balls to admit her fook up, as I said, earlier on, there are people in the same boat as her that won't admit it, won't sell their cars, and will drive with bald tires, no tax etc. I just think her article brings to the front what people are going through, the struggles the pain and worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I just don't think that is very nice, thats all.

People aren't nice. The world isn't nice. There's your lesson for today.
    Someone comes on and admits what they did was a disaster.

Just so you know she's not on boards admitting she did something wrong, she's writing about it in a national paper. If she came on here as a private user in the property forum she'd probably have been treated a bit nicer. Just a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just so you know she's not on boards admitting she did something wrong, she's writing about it in a national paper.

again. just in case you missed it the first time she wrote it last year. but the paragraphs were in different order and the amount lost wasn't so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Berkut wrote: »
    In fairness to her she accepts it was her decision to buy despite warnings from the CB and her parents.

On the one hand, yes, there is no mention in the article of any call for her debt to be relieved or negated.

On the other hand, the Sindo is involved in a concerted campaign at the moment to call for some kind of "NAMA for property speculators". Since this is a rehash/reprint of a previous article of hers, I imagine this reprint is part of their campaign.

P.

• Advertisement

People aren't nice. The world isn't nice. There's your lesson for today.

Some people ABoy.... some people. But... you are very wrong. I have seen a good bit of the world, and is really nice, stunning, and another thing, the people are nice, from Kilkenny to Dublin to Hanoi to Dehli to kota kinabalu.

You ARE right though, I have learned a lesson, and that lesson is....
    People seem to be very brave and can let rip behind a keyboard a lot easier than they can face to face!! I think I will try and keep my keyboard comments the same as I would talking face to face with someone.

That could be a lesson for you, seeing that I learned one from you, After all, barter is good.

Some people ABoy.... some people. But... you are very wrong. I have seen a good bit of the world, and is really nice, stunning, and another thing, the people are nice, from Kilkenny to Dublin to Hanoi to Dehli to kota kinabalu.

People seem to be very brave and can let rip behind a keyboard a lot easier than they can face to face!! I think I will try and keep my keyboard comments the same as I would talking face to face with someone.

That could be a lesson for you, seeing that I learned one from you, After all, barter is good.

Believe me John, I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say/haven't said to people to their face. I tell it as I see it. There you go. I'm a bit too long in the tooth at this stage to play nicey-nicey all the time for the fear of hurting someone's oh-so-delicate feelings.

The woman is a fool for buying that apartment and I would have no problem telling her that to her face.

If somebody makes a huge mistake and doesn't want to be criticised for that mistake then it might be an idea for them not to write about it in the national press.

I would have no problem telling her that to her face

Again, you are missing the point, but tell me how you get on with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

People seem to be very brave and can let rip behind a keyboard a lot easier than they can face to face!!

Seriously, any guy that farts in another guys face deserves to be kicked off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Sorry, but we're not talking about some unknown waif writing a blog post. We're talking about a professional journalist writing an article as part of a campaign by a vested interest in the property market.

P.

• Advertisement

No I'm not. You're asserting that I'm the sort of person who only says things behind a keyboard and wouldn't say them to people in real life. I'm telling you I'm not.

So I'm not missing the point and frankly I think your 'let's be nice' attitude is missing the point. There you go.

[edit]In fact all your point seems to be is that "at least she has the apartment she wants" which is frankly weak. You seem reluctant to even acknowledge that anyone who bought an apartment for that price at that time was making a massive mistake[/edit]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

You just try that in this country........... we aren't in the US. No Jingle Mail here.

Nate

There is if you can leave the country for 12/13 years. Then the banks can't come after you for the remainder.
    I wouldn't be too eager to see my report from the Irish Credit Bureau after such a move though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Big egos need to spend big.

I do have sympathy for people who needlessly over spent though. They don't know any better in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Some people on this thread are describing this article as brave etc. That she's not asking for any handouts.
    Why do you think this article was written? Why is it just one of about 5 articles in the Sindo about more or less the same thing?
    This is a concerted effort people! Alison wants your money as does Brendan ballsy O'Connor and the rest of them.
    The cries of "where's my NAMA" and "NAMA for the little guy" will get louder and louder.
    As to the few people who think this property will EVER be worth what she paid for it,then think again. By the way,some of those apartments will be, if they are not already, designated for social housing. See how that effects the price.
    People need to get a bit more critical when interpreting the media.
    This is an agenda. Does this girl deserve a bailout? Because make no mistake that is what she wants. These articles are just testing the waters.
    Do you think Alison is worth paying more tax for?
    Remember Eoghan Harris proudly exclaiming that they rowed in behind Ahern and FF in the last election because
    we got what we wanted on stamp duty
    . This was to kick start the property bubble when it showed early signs of deflating,which would have been a good thing. Eoghan got his seat in the senate as a reward for the glowing articles,the Sindo got what they wanted and indeed ALISON got to delude herself that she was living in Manhattan. There was no down side!Property only goes up!
    Now the Sindo have another agenda to "get what they want." Will someone give it to them? Will you?

"at least she has the apartment she wants" which is frankly weak.

It's not, think about it. Think of where she could be stuck. Do you know about people who are stuck out in the fringes with massive commutes, kids, no schools or infrastructure?
    You seem reluctant to even acknowledge that anyone who bought an apartment for that price at that time was making a massive mistake[/edit]

?????
    she is telling us about a massive mistake she made and the regrets she has
    She's just admitting what a mistake she made
    Someone comes on and admits what they did was a disaster, a huge mistake
    She admits the mistakes she makes
    At least she has the balls to admit her fook up

There are five examples of me saying what you say I am reluctant to admit. What's the point in this discussion if you are not obviously not reading any of my posts?
    As to the few people who think this property will EVER be worth what she paid for it,then think again

How much will it be worth in 2038? Can you honestly say you know how much it will be worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jump

This girl makes the 02 girls journalism look good. The standard to the sindo has dropped but we deserve better than this one- she writes pure sensationalist crap the whole time- check out the rubbish she wrote on college goers a couple of weeks ago and about law students last year i think- trying to make a name for herself- how on earth she was taken on by the sindo i'll never know. Sorry rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Berkut wrote: »
    Sell your house/apartment if you can and downgrade to a cheaper one.
    Or sell the same article over and over :rolleyes:

tech77 wrote: »
    "The cold wind of reality is never far from me and it constantly blows abruptly into my life".

Nobody talks like that. I'm going to pull a Lie To Me on this - but guarantee you this story is fake. That sentence has the ring of someone imagining their situation not actually experiencing it.
    Dord wrote: »
    How is this news?
    Its not. Its an attempt by the Indo to identifiy with a cohort of readers to reinforce their readership. And as I said I don't believe that story.
    This is just a rehash of another article she wrote last year.. not only is she a stupid bitch for paying that much for an apartment but she's also a lazy journalist

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/trapped-in-a-negative-equity-nightmare-after-dreams-of-city-apartment-living-turned-sour-1794601.html

Well spotted

The most embarassing thing in the article is
    I had a five-year plan of......
    I suspect that part might be true. Muppet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

How much will it be worth in 2038? Can you honestly say you know how much it will be worth?

Japan had similar property boom in the eighties and property prices have never returned to anywhere near where they were. I'm not sure why you're defending such a bad financial decision - perhaps you or a family member are in a similiar situation, in which case I have alot of sympathy.

The media in this country let us down badly over the past decade (I'm not gonna even bother mentioning Zanu FF).

How much was this dictated by revenue from property supplements and hand outs from the governing parties. We had boasting of Celtic Tiger and Bertie lifestyle. We still have such distractions about musical chairs in cabinet and who will replace wee Willie, as if it matters.

I wonder if Alison O'Riordan attributes blame to the very rag Sindo she works for. Sir A O Reilly was more than happy to get massive income from his papers' contamination with property supplements.

And the shameless line continuously pushed that if people did not get on the "property ladder" immediately, they would forever be left behind, with the result we had young people staying out all night in sleeping bags so they could put a desposit on a badly constructed shoe-box.

If anyone takes anything away from the last 10 years i hope its that they use their brains more often when making judgement calls on whats put in front of them. I also wonder what ORiordans motivation is in writing such drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

John,
    If you think this is just a confessional piece and her admitting her mistakes,then you are taking it at face value. Fair enough. I contend it is not as innocent as that. It's part of an agenda,that the Sindo has form in producing.
    I am reading between the lines,you are not.Whether you are deliberately doing that I don't know.
    With regard the prediction on the price of her apartment,call it an educated guess.Over 500,000 euro for a two bed in Dublin?:D I am basing my estimate on past property crashes. It just does not seem likely to say the least.
    We are heading in to a Japan situation,except Japan at least had a huge export based economy,they actually produce. We do not. Make of that what you will.

No one can realistically place a price on this property in 2038, no more can they place a value on the money in 2038!

We have a better chance of giving it a value relative to something that has real value, as in the "hamburger test"
    200,000 hamburgers in 2006 = Dublin appartment
    45,000 hamburgers in 2038 = Dublin appartment

How many hamburgers would your wages get you?

How much the money is worth is meaningless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sounds like a older lady trying to get down with the kids!!! "hip Singletons" "city slicker" "happening City" etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sounds like a older lady trying to get down with the kids!!! "hip Singletons" "city slicker" "happening City" etc.

Nah,if she was older she'd have had more sense..i reckon she's early to mid 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Are we still talking about the "journalist"? The article seems to suggest she was 25.

"I had a five-year plan of living in the city centre until I hit 30, and then I'd trade up and purchase the suburban house with the immaculate garden and the white picket fence -- all the trappings of a family home."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

bonerm wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the "journalist"? The article seems to suggest she was 25.

"I had a five-year plan of living in the city centre until I hit 30, and then I'd trade up and purchase the suburban house with the immaculate garden and the white picket fence -- all the trappings of a family home."

Noted..she certainly wasnt an older woman through any stretch of the imagaination.
    She also sounds like a complete tool...thinking she can turn a substantial profit on a flat that cost over half a million quid...deluded,stupid and arrogant in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Will this woman be making any public appearance that I can go to point and laugh at her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

sesna wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you're defending such a bad financial decision - perhaps you or a family member are in a similiar situation, in which case I have alot of sympathy.

I am not defending such a bad financial decisions, did you not read my posts??? The last post there has FIVE examples where I acknowledge her bad mistake. Please take the time to read my posts. I'm just amazed at the raw contempt people have for the girl, the "she deserves everything she gets" attitude displayed by people because she drinks a certain type of coffee. I am not in a similar situation nor do I know the girl. But, when I bought my first house in 1992 in Dublin city center I was told I was nuts by people like the experts on this thread.

As for people predicting how much her apartment will be worth in 2038?

I bow to their expertise. I genuinely couldn't predict property prices that far ahead. I didn't think anyone could, but on this thread there seems to be people with incredible insight.

Just to confirm things for people.

I am not defending her mistake, I said from the start it was a bad decision. But there are people in a lot more trouble out there. They are too embarrassed to admit it.

Yosser I take your (and others) point about this being a push towards a bail out. Good point, maybe I am a bit innocent, sure what would I know ;)

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    45k for a parking space :eek:
    You'd begin to wonder if she even has a car, was probably planing to buy it later in the year once she got the space sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

ScumLord wrote: »
    You'd begin to wonder if she even has a car, was probably planing to buy it later in the year once she got the space sorted.

45k would buy you 2 cars. She basically bought a piece of tarmac and the air over it.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    45k would buy you 2 cars.
    They'd be poor people cars, this is a lady who demands the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement