Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope's Pastoral Letter

Options
  • 20-03-2010 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Should be released tomorrow. Pope Benedict says it should be read "with an open heart and in a spirit of faith".

I don't like the pre-emptive spin that the liberal media are already putting on this letter. It's as if they've already made up their minds and are simply sharpening their little axes in preparation to have another go at those tasked with cleansing the organisation and providing recompense to victims.

I see the crusty communists over on indymedia.ie are planning to defile the altar of Christ at churches all over the country on the most important day of the Catholic calendar: Easter Sunday, April 4th. How brave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Oremus wrote: »
    Should be released tomorrow. Pope Benedict says it should be read "with an open heart and in a spirit of faith".

I don't like the pre-emptive spin that the liberal media are already putting on this letter. It's as if they've already made up their minds and are simply sharpening their little axes in preparation to have another go at those tasked with cleansing the organisation and providing recompense to victims.

To which liberal media do you refer then?
    I see the crusty communists over on indymedia.ie are planning to defile the altar of Christ at churches all over the country on the most important day of the Catholic calendar: Easter Sunday, April 4th. How brave.

Eh, link please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm looking forward to getting a copy of it to stick in the bathroom in case I run out of toilet paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Oremus

I'm looking forward to getting a copy of it to stick in the bathroom in case I run out of toilet paper.

In other words: I'm not open to the idea of the Catholic Church trying their best to heal deep wounds. If you want to live out your days being a bitter man, that's your perogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The catholic church in Ireland is a systemic and horrific cluster**** of abuse and suppression. They deserve all the abuse they get.
    I wouldn't agree with defiling alters and I believe the church has or had real potential as an organisation that could have helped people who needed it. But I repeat. A systemic and horrific cluster****.

Millicent wrote: »
    Eh, link please?

Good evening. Here is the link: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/96032

• Advertisement

I see the crusty communists over on indymedia.ie are planning to defile the altar of Christ at churches all over the country

It'll make a change from priests defiling children all over the country then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Unless it says:

1. Priests can get married
    2. They WITHOUT QUESTION, will report all possible sex crimes to the state authorities
    3. Admit they did hide the truth from the public for decades.

I expect more of the same Rome spin and bluster and inevitable useless ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Eh, link please?

ere ya go: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/96032

I'm sorry but I don't understand how placing baby shoes on the altar is "defilement". They're shoes not pig's blood or something equally hideous.

ETA: I notice it's at the altar rather than on. Many things get laid at the foot of the altar. Seriously- not defilement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not open to the idea of the Catholic Church trying their best to heal deep wounds.
    I'd certainly be open to that... but it's doubtful it's gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

The church is an absolute joke. Canon law my fcuking hole.

Organised religion? Fcuking organised child abuse is all that seems to have gone on down through the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Straight from 1930s Catholic/fascist thinking! It's a siege mentality too many of you have - not a repentance mentality. All guns are out in defence of "mother Church", the institution. To hell with finally confessing your sins in front of us.

In other words: I'm not open to the idea of the Catholic Church trying their best to heal deep wounds. If you want to live out your days being a bitter man, that's your perogative.

I think you are confusing criticism with biterness .

Shryke wrote: »
    The catholic church in Ireland is a systemic and horrific cluster**** of abuse and suppression. They deserve all the abuse they get.
    I wouldn't agree with defiling alters and I believe the church has or had real potential as an organisation that could have helped people who needed it. But I repeat. A systemic and horrific cluster****.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

It's inevitable that an organisation on the scale of the Church will succumb to human failings. And to compound matters: unlike employees who work 40 hours a week and can engage in their perversions outside office hours, priests represent God's Church 24-7.

The church is an absolute joke. Canon law my fcuking hole.

Organised religion? Fcuking organised child abuse is all that seems to have gone on down through the years.

Ah here now, that's not fair. Just because there were abuses in the church does not make it right to tar all religious people with the one brush. I am a consciously lapsed Catholic (a lot of the dogma regarding women bothers me immensely) but I can still admit there are many members of the Catholic Church, clerical and followers alike, who are good and decent people who would never dream of harming a child.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Straight from 1930s Catholic/fascist thinking! It's a siege mentality too many of you have - not a repentance mentality. All guns are out in defence of "mother Church", the institution. To hell with finally confessing your sins in front of us.

When it comes to defiling altars, yes: all guns are out. Young men will be on hand to discreetly neutralise matters if necessary.

I don't like the pre-emptive spin that the liberal media are already putting on this letter.

Is the Pope not putting a pre-emptive spin on it himself by telling people how it should be read?

When it comes to defiling altars, yes: all guns are out. Young men will be on hand to discreetly neutralise matters if necessary.

The Church are experts at discreeetly neutralising matters.

I'm sorry but would you mind answering my question as to how that is actually defilement instead of insinuating that some sort of Catholic secret service will be on hand to take non-believers out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Crusty Communists? Liberal media sharpening their 'little axes'?

Have you ever heard the expression 'Judge not, lest ye be judged.'?

The Vatican would want to say Jesus is coming to change the past if they want me to think the people who were involved in abuse and covering it up can be absolved or forgiven or whatever.

I don't think people should bash Catholics, but they can say whatever they want about the disgrace that is the vatican and its cardinals and bishops who lied to the public time and time again about truly despicable crimes.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but would you mind answering my question as to how that is actually defilement instead of insinuating that some sort of Catholic secret service will be on hand to take non-believers out?!

The altar and its ornaments are specified by the rubrics. I'm afraid communist paraphinalia is not listed.

http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/Law/Index/6

It might be worth learning what "communist" actually means...

The altar and its ornaments are specified by the rubrics. I'm afraid communist paraphinalia is not listed.

http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/Law/Index/6

What about putting a Rubrics Cube on the altar? Is that defilement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Since when are shoes Communist paraphanalia?

Dudess wrote: »
    It might be worth learning what "communist" actually means...

Yeah, look through the indymedia.ie site to get a good grasp the communist mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Yes. Lets not be spinning. Spinning is bad.
    IndyMedia wrote:
    Religious Abuse Truth are calling for a symbolic protest at masses on Easter Sunday. We are calling for parishioners and protestors to join in by placing baby shoes with a message at the altar at mass. As a symbol of your protest at the lack of response from The Vatican and Bishops.

Yes. Lets not be spinning. Spinning is bad.

Since when are shoes Communist paraphanalia?

If the Bishop hasn't approved this liturgical innovation, they will be removed and donated to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In communist Russia, altar put shoes on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I think letting child abusers preside over altars is more of a defilement than placing baby shoes at them.

• Advertisement

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
    Whatever sins I've committed (and I'm sure there are plenty) none of them come close to systematic child abuse and cover-ups.

Advertisement