Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John McCririck loses it (against the Irish) on Newstalk

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

gandroid wrote: »
    Or maybe he wasn't as good as people thought and that Paddy Power knew as much. Racehorses are not machines and in such a competitive race as the Supreme Novices there is always a chance that another horse will come out of the pack / get a better run on a given day. He wasn't the only hot favourite to get turned over at Cheltenham last week.

''Or maybe he wasn't as good as people thought and that Paddy Power knew as much.''

Well at least you agree with me that if that is the case then P.P should have reflected his chance with a proper price. Not 4/6!
    If Paddy Power knew as much then you agree that the race was indeed fixed.

McCririck is a sensationalist idiot but a lot of what he said was true

Sometimes the truth hurts
    What truth are you talking about - the guy is a little Englander who gets his kicks running the Irish down at any available opportunity.He still subscribes to the belief that England rules the world. Ireland to him is still a backward inferior country that deserved its oppression and colonization. Nothing he said rang true!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Chriskavo wrote: »
    I cant stand John McCririck and his unfounded blatantly anti Irish comments were a disgrace. I do however smell a rat with O' Connells riding of Dunguib. He kept this horse out the back for most of the race with the horse going easy on the bridle.Eventually he decides to make his move at the last fence but by then all apparent hope was gone. It strikes me a bit odd that Paddy Power were driving an unbelievable publicity campaign around this horse with their 'banker bet' special. The bet encouraged punters to back any horse other than Dunguib with the promise of your stake back should the horse win with emphasis on the WIN. This horse is head and shoulders above any novice in both Britain and Ireland and their was absolutely no excuse for that horses defeat on Tuesday. All very convenient that O' Connells riding suddenly gets the spotlight and all very convenient that his so called inexperience gets the blame. In my opinion - the jockey was under strict ORDERS NOT TO WIN THE RACE!!! Paddy Power apparently gained 13 million euros as a direct result of that race. I wonder how much the connections and the owners received from Paddy Power little windfall?
    If ever I saw a race fix - that was one all over.

Ha ha ridiculous post, even the biggest gangsters in racing are trying at Cheltenham. Horses are stopped in maidens and beginners chases nearly everyday of the week to get a handicap mark, nobody stops in a Supreme Novice

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

''Or maybe he wasn't as good as people thought and that Paddy Power knew as much.''

Well at least you agree with me that if that is the case then P.P should have reflected his chance with a proper price. Not 4/6!
    If Paddy Power knew as much then you agree that the race was indeed fixed.

Don't be ridiculous...they're a bookie not a charity.:rolleyes:

This is not the first time they've offered a money back special on a hot fav. And please don't twist my words, I do not agree that the race was fixed, merely that if they thought the horse was overrated then they took a calculated gamble for some free publicity...PP are very good at this.

As for the price reflecting his chance well I am not sure how much you know about betting but a price is not always based on the relative chances of a horse but of the amount of money wagered on that particular horse and the bookie's liability. Very often this will be an accurate barometer as any of its real chance but not always...

gandroid wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous...they're a bookie not a charity.:rolleyes:

This is not the first time they've offered a money back special on a hot fav. And please don't twist my words, I do not agree that the race was fixed, merely that if they thought the horse was overrated then they took a calculated gamble for some free publicity...PP are very good at this.

As for the price reflecting his chance well I am not sure how much you know about betting but a price is not always based on the relative chances of a horse but of the amount of money wagered on that particular horse and the bookie's liability. Very often this will be an accurate barometer as any of its real chance but not always...

I wouldn't be so naive to think that the holy grail of racing isn't sullied by corruption and race fixing. I know people in the racing game and they have told me things that would blow your mind. Watch Dunguib win all his post cheltenham races easily. I will admit that he let me down for a nice double too! ;-)

• Advertisement

Sprouts wrote: »
    Ha ha ridiculous post, even the biggest gangsters in racing are trying at Cheltenham. Horses are stopped in maidens and beginners chases nearly everyday of the week to get a handicap mark, nobody stops in a Supreme Novice

How do you know?...never take things at face value and dont be brainwashed by what the media tells you. It's always healthy to keep an open mind and in my opinion their was no excuses for that horse not winning. He was on the bridle all the way round going easily. The jockey reluctantly puts him into the race at the LAST fence and loses the race. Very odd riding and tactics on the 'banker' bet of the meeting. But then again sprouts I might be just another disgruntled punter who feels hard done by- he did after all let me down for a nice double and I was seriously pissed off with that ride! ;-)

How do you know?...never take things at face value and dont be brainwashed by what the media tells you. It's always healthy to keep an open mind and in my opinion their was no excuses for that horse not winning. He was on the bridle all the way round going easily. The jockey reluctantly puts him into the race at the LAST fence and loses the race. Very odd riding and tactics on the 'banker' bet of the meeting. But then again sprouts I might be just another disgruntled punter who feels hard done by- he did after all let me down for a nice double and I was seriously pissed off with that ride! ;-)

Dunguib had been making mistakes on his previous races, the idea was to leave him out wide so he could see the hurdles easily and keep out of trouble. The connections probably expected Dunguib to pass the horses easily as he had done in Leopardstown. If you think that horse wasn't trying then you havent a clue what you are looking at and maybe shouldnt be betting on horses for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://www.availableforpanto.com/jmc.jpg

I'd say he'd be able to fit both feet in that gaping hole in his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Pittens wears two hats.

Firstly I disagree with this
    McCririck is a sensationalist idiot but a lot of what he said was true

Sometimes the truth hurts

Wrong. We did get subsidised ( to the tune of aprox. 1%) from the EU. However the UK gets more subsidies from Oil. Imagine we found oil, and got rich. WOuld that then be the excuse.

Still I like McCririck. Funny lad.

Funny as in mad. Funny as in humorous.

Pittens wrote: »
    Pittens wears two hats.

Firstly I disagree with this

Wrong. We did get subsidised ( to the tune of aprox. 1%) from the EU. However the UK gets more subsidies from Oil. Imagine we found oil, and got rich. WOuld that then be the excuse.

Still I like McCririck. Funny lad.

Funny as in mad. Funny as in humorous.

Hes a horrible, racist sexist smelly mouthy arsehole, even his colleagues cant stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

OutlawPete wrote: »
    McCririck's a legend.

did you see the big drawers he wore on big brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

goat2 wrote: »
    did you see the big drawers he wore on big brother

See them??

I went and bought them .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I wouldn't be so naive to think that the holy grail of racing isn't sullied by corruption and race fixing.

I don't consider myself naive at all. Nor do I think that your Dunguib theory is anything other than a wild conspiracy theory in this instance. But you're entitled to your view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Does anybody have a copy of the hilarious Ted Walsh interview last week at Cheltenham where he went on a two-minute rant against McCririck? Pat Kenny played an extract of it early last week, but the full version was even funnier.

Sprouts wrote: »
    Dunguib had been making mistakes on his previous races, the idea was to leave him out wide so he could see the hurdles easily and keep out of trouble. The connections probably expected Dunguib to pass the horses easily as he had done in Leopardstown. If you think that horse wasn't trying then you havent a clue what you are looking at and maybe shouldnt be betting on horses for your own sake.

I have been backing horse all my life and I know what I saw. A horse who annihilated a a field of class horses in Cheltenhams bumper the year before on similar ground, a horse that won every one of his novice races in effortless style on the bridle. A horse so imperious in all those victorys that he scared off a lot of the opposition in the Supreme. A horse who on the book and by the nature of his previous runs stands head and shoulders above menorah and get me out of here. When do the excuses stop eh?... that horse was put into the race far too late and should have and would have won that race if he had. Spare me the lecture matey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Relevant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Zombie thread, locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement