Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding Street Fighter - Tips etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I doubt that :p

Only been playing with him seirously for a few weeks. I learned some new things at Eirtakon especially playing against a Guile (my worst match-up besides Blanka)

I know to Heavy hurricane kick through his sonic booms to take them by suprise but not to use it too often

On this- yes it works but Guile can punish with a crouching HP or Flash Kick if he sees it coming and alot of Guiles spend alot of time sitting on down back :)

But it's still a good way to stop a boom happy Guile from spamming you if you know it's coming.

prenelf wrote: »
    i find it difficult to punish guiles sonic booms, he's recoevery is too fast. you have to predict it long before he actually does it.

A lp sonic boom is effectively safe. I've had people predict it and jump as I sonic boom, and then have time to air throw/ cr hp as anti air. This is part of why people hate Guile so much :)

The faster sonic booms however progressively get more recovery time til the point with an ex boom that a successful jump in will get a combo just like any other projectile character.

That's not a perfect scenario as even if you train Guile and jump early you're still relying on him doing an ex boom when you want him to, but it's a handy thing to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

A lp sonic boom is effectively safe. I've had people predict it and jump as I sonic boom, and then have time to air throw/ cr hp as anti air. This is part of why people hate Guile so much :)

The faster sonic booms however progressively get more recovery time til the point with an ex boom that a successful jump in will get a combo just like any other projectile character.

That's not a perfect scenario as even if you train Guile and jump early you're still relying on him doing an ex boom when you want him to, but it's a handy thing to know.

I actually punished a guile with a wake up ultra once. He threw a sonic boom but he was standing right next to me. :)

prenelf wrote: »
    I actually punished a guile with a wake up ultra once. He threw a sonic boom but he was standing right next to me. :)

He needs to be standing right next to you AND he needs to have started the boom late (you'll see what looks like sparks flying off his hands during the ultra flash)

DO NOT ultra on Guile if he takes a few paces back on wake up. He's delibrately getting out of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I wouldn't be trying to combo off a crouch tech lk at all, it's just used to relieve yourself of pressure a little bit.

The only way you'd be able to hitconfirm off it is to do a string of a couple of them, which means you're mashing tech in the first place and setting yourself up to get counterhit/thrown out of it.

Try to tech as late and infrequently as possible - at the end of the day it's better to eat a throw than a counterhit combo (obviously this only applies if your opponent knows enough to try and fish for counterhit setups/blow up crouch techs in other ways).

That's why I only mentioned blocking in my previous post as your best option - teching is something you'll learn in time, but at the level of play I was responding to, it's a much better idea to learn to NOT press buttons imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I know to Heavy hurricane kick through his sonic booms to take them by suprise but not to use it too often

Just be careful doing it at range as most Guiles aren't as recklessly aggressive as I am, the amount of times I ate that last weekend because I habitually dashed after a LP boom was off the charts!

I was very slack and only punished properly a couple of times to boot.

When you some games with Doom you'll find he's a whole different game - none of that moving forward nonsense out of him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Right ok. Guess I still have to look at some Guile match-ups then.

Right ok. Guess I still have to look at some Guile match-ups then.

Are you online? I play on XBL and PSN so I'd give you a first to ten or sometime no problem.

I could even record a few for you if you liked. I'll also gladly tell you what I think of the match up and where I think you're going wrong.

PSN = Fergus2k8 (I hate the name to this day :pac:)

I'm online most of the time. I don't mind if you record them

I'll add you

I assume your PSN is DoctorDoom?

• Advertisement

Nope, hadoomken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bonkeyfonkey

Street fighter has such a deep fighting system! No wonder the community is so big!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

As far as knowing your options on wakeup for your character go, remember every character in the game has an unbelievable option on wakeup ; simply blocking! (: (and being on the lookout for throws/having good tech reactions)

For the most part people really over estimate how good blocking really is, especially in situations where doing anything else is just downright silly anyway!

Some characters can really capitalize on your wakeup if they know your options are limited. Characters with bad wakeup suffer heavily from safe jump OS setups, where pretty much all your options are closed, forcing block pretty much on your part.

This can be hard but it all comes down to basic patterns and how you read your opponent and how you escape the aftermath. You might be limited on wakeup, doesn't have to stop you afterwards ^^

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I've often wondered if option selects are cheating or not.

Rob2D wrote: »

Nope.

Sure every cancel is at a technical level an option select.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, so's throwing :pac:

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yeah, so's throwing :pac:

I hear that a suprising amount, as I am sure you do too :)

Yep inputting moves is cheating. We should all play telekinesis fighter

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

There is no such thing as cheating.

Except Sonic Booms!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

It just seems strange to me that essentially rigging the game is accepted. But I don't use it/encounter it often, so I guess theres no reason to worry much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Play Hound or Red350, those guys will hurt your head with the Option Selects

It just seems strange to me that essentially rigging the game is accepted. But I don't use it/encounter it often, so I guess theres no reason to worry much.

You encounter it all the time, you just don't realise. There's no way to realise you've been option selected unless you know the option select that's been used. It just looks like good play. A few days ago I was playing Hound as Cammy and I spent an entire round using one option select for the craic but it must have just looked like I was teching/ reacting to jumps well.

If you've ever used a special cancel, which only comes out if the opponent is hit or blocks, or teched a throw while ducking, which should come out as a crouching short, you've option selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

Its not rigging the game its playing the game. Option selects are a part of the game just like special moves or ultras and are also present in other fighting games. There's no reason not to learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Need help with an ibuki combo.. cant find any other help around... its a long combo but damn worth it for stun.. it starts with TC4 Lp,mp,hp..

Combo im lookin for is;

lp,mp,hp,lp,mk,spin kicks,lp,mk,EX neckbreaker

I just cant ever get the LP off of the spin kicks.. Plx help

Just a link ,keep training!

Option Selects where not intentional designed game mechanic according to the developers but the design of the game mean't they where unavoidable.

There is no Option Select that 100% fool proof usually you have 2 or 3 option selects which cover all your opponents options, so its an eductated guess based on match up experience and knowing/reading your opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Blocking nulifies the option select. So whats wrong with blocking? Do people feel like they have to always press buttons or do dumb s##t on wake up!!?

The Hound wrote: »
    Blocking nulifies the option select. So whats wrong with blocking? Do people feel like they have to always press buttons or do dumb s##t on wake up!!?

Sadly, yep. People don't like to be patient

• Advertisement

Focus dash cancelling also nulifies the option select but still leaves you open for punishement.

Advertisement