Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding Street Fighter - Tips etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I've been playing a little Rufus lately and I was wondering how any Rufus players here approach the Dhalsim match, or even vice versa - I just played a Dhalsim with like 4000 player points and was a flukey s.HK off getting double perfected, so any advice would be much appreciated!

The only dhalsim i've played is Kirby and i find it really difficult to get in, but kirby is very good at zoning so thats to be expected.

As always with sim, focus the limbs not the fireballs. Vary the jump arcs so as not to be predictable. Also, random messiah kicks often help to catch his out-stretched limbs. Galactic tornado through fireballs if you can predict them.

Bush might also have better advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Very good video explaining why it can be so easy for a dominating player to read his opponent and why getting frustrated and reactionary can get your double perfected :p
    Yreval wrote: »
    Some of you may be familiar with the Domination 101 series of articles written by Seth Killian some years back. Here's a video illustrating one of them:

It's also showing how the dominating player is manipulating the other guy. Walking up and doing a 'wiffed throw' then jumping up and punishing the reversal attempted/tech attempt that was more then likely going to happen.

I remember in 3s due to the faster pace you'd get a lot of this, you'd run up and do a mock wiffed over head then attack a guy from a low hit as he attempts to wake up high block/parry.

I'd try this in 4 every now and then (dash wiffed forwad+medium punch overhead with ryu, then c.mk into srk fadc ultra etc) but its a lot riskier in 4 and I wouldnt do it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

i was working on a beginners guide over at gamefaqs, i'm going to submit it as an FAQ

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/975212-super-street-fighter-iv/54840631

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

so just a quick question.

How much would you guys incorpoate frame traps into your game?I played a pretty decent player lately who demolished me with tick throws/ frame trap mixups.

Id Like to hear what frame traps you use...for bison/blanka/chun in particular.
    here is a few for bison (that i nicked from srk)

1.Cr lk to Cr mk.
    2. Cr lk to St Hp to Cr lk to lk scissors.
    3.St Mp to Cr Mk to St Hk
    4. Jump in Hp to (Delayed.) St ( Mp or Hp) to Cr lk to lk Scissors.......(frogression @srk)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

so just a quick question.

How much would you guys incorpoate frame traps into your game?I played a pretty decent player lately who demolished me with tick throws/ frame trap mixups.

Id Like to hear what frame traps you use...for bison/blanka/chun in particular.
    here is a few for bison (that i nicked from srk)

1.Cr lk to Cr mk.
    2. Cr lk to St Hp to Cr lk to lk scissors.
    3.St Mp to Cr Mk to St Hk
    4. Jump in Hp to (Delayed.) St ( Mp or Hp) to Cr lk to lk Scissors.......(frogression @srk)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Here's a good Makoto one.

S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp S.Mp

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Modinside uploaded the DVD that came with the japanese version showing the trials, but also showing the players hands while doing the trials. There are several more on his channel

Great little website here for showing punishes per character via a drop down menu. Great for someone who isnt great with or cannot be arsed learning frame date etc :)

*stolen from eventhubs

I should say I havent tried/compared any of this data so I cant vouch for it.

really quiet day in work...

Link - Gootecks guide to beating your friends, pretty basic stuff. but a decent read none the less.

Fair play ropedrink, for making a combo vid that doesn't show the full ultra animation when it is obvious that ultra will follow! I hate vids where they show the full ultra.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Aye I know the feeling - Also, if I did that it'd have probably gone beyond the 10m limit as well so it's win-win.

Most videos that show the full thing are pretty overbearing. NO I CLEARLY DONT PLAY BALROG AND SEE THAT ULTRA ANIM 50 TIMES A DAY GAIS! THX 4 SHOWING IT 2 ME.

They've extended the limit to 15. I still don't want to see the full animation 28 times in a video though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Wanna see loads of that from you tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Anyone with Tips for Ibuki's LP,MP,HP target combo to ultra II?..

Cant get that shít at all.

I watched a vid on super jump cancelling before I was able to do it, If I can find it I'll link it for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

So eh, Eirtakon will be in attendance at Gamer Expo :pac:

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    So eh, Eirtakon will be in attendance at Gamer Expo :pac:

I think you may be in the wrong thread there mark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I think I am! My brain isn't working today. Someone smart should move it to the Gamer Expo thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Anyone with Tips for Ibuki's LP,MP,HP target combo to ultra II?..

Cant get that shít at all.

Try LP, MP, qcf+HP, qcf, uf+KKK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

When people are talking about wake-ups. For example I heard that Makoto had bad wake-up options

Does that mean when she gets up, she doesn't have much options or when the opponent wakes up, she doesn't have much options to attack them?

• Advertisement

Fergus_ wrote: »
    When people are talking about wake-ups. For example I heard that Makoto had bad wake-up options

Does that mean when she gets up, she doesn't have much options or when the opponent wakes up, she doesn't have much options to attack them?

If someone says Makoto is weak on wake up it means that, as Makoto gets up from being knocked down, she doesn't have many good options to stop an opponent hitting her again other than correctly blocking/ teching.

Some characters like Akuma are extremely strong at attacking after knock down. This is a part of a good "mix up" game.

Check out this video for a good example:

In the first fight (especially the second round) Newtype is able to keep constant wake up pressure on me, and I consistently make bad choices or fluff my timing. He's aware if I escape from him I'll have superiority at range (which happens later in the set).

Oh ok.

So a good wake-up for Ryu is cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mk into hadoken? It pushes the person away from me so I can get some space

The most basic of wake up options you will have to learn is to block and throw-tech. Meaning - if they jump in with an attack and you cannot hit them out of it, you block their attack, anticipate the throw and tech it (input a throw when they do to block their throw attempt). Second is a back dash - you have a certain amount of invunerable frames when you back dash, so you can escape certain attacks.

None of these are completely safe so you will have to mix them up a bit.

Ok thanks you two!

Still have a lot to learn with Ryu

Ok thanks you two!

Still have a lot to learn with Ryu

You probably know more than I do already. :)

I doubt that :p

Only been playing with him seirously for a few weeks. I learned some new things at Eirtakon especially playing against a Guile (my worst match-up besides Blanka)

I know to Heavy hurricane kick through his sonic booms to take them by suprise but not to use it too often

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

i find it difficult to punish guiles sonic booms, he's recoevery is too fast. you have to predict it long before he actually does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Oh ok.

So a good wake-up for Ryu is cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mk into hadoken? It pushes the person away from me so I can get some space

Pressing a normal on wakeup (unless you're crouch teching) is absolutely the worst idea you can have - if they're doing any meaty attack (timing their attack so it hits you on the first frame you get up), you'll get counterhit and eat a combo.

Your best option on wakeup with any character in the game is to block.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Pressing a normal on wakeup (unless you're crouch teching) is absolutely the worst idea you can have - if they're doing any meaty attack (timing their attack so it hits you on the first frame you get up), you'll get counterhit and eat a combo.

Your best option on wakeup with any character in the game is to block.

It actually took me awhile to get that through my head. Too often would I become impatient and throw a Shoryuken on wake up and get punished up to about 40% damage. The worst an apponent can do when you block on wake up is a grab, or an overhead. getting used to your opponent should allow you to predict which move might be used.

• Advertisement

prenelf wrote: »
    It actually took me awhile to get that through my head. Too often would I become impatient and throw a Shoryuken on wake up and get punished up to about 40% damage. The worst an apponent can do when you block on wake up is a grab, or an overhead. getting used to your opponent should allow you to predict which move might be used.

Exactly. What you can try to do to protect yourself even more is a late crouching tech.

How this works is you hit the tech throw late as possible in the teching window.

It's an option select, so you won't throw while crouching but you can tech an attempted throw. If the other guy walks in, you'll throw out a cr lk which most characters can combo off (although hit confirming that'd be difficult I think).

The real beauty is if you can time it late enough, and the attacker throws out a move, you SHOULD in theory just block (as your tech attempt should be late).

I've probably got some of this wrong and Azza or Dreddy will correct me promptly. :)

Advertisement