Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding Street Fighter - Tips etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Malchia

jonnybadd wrote: »
    While I have ye, Is there much benifit in the challenge mode side of things? I mean I've learned a few combos/links because of it but is there a real need to learn these for play? I mean from the fights I've seen its almost like a chess match, a few hits, defence, a few more and you eek out the wins, but is there ever a situation where you need the muscle memory of these combos to win?

From my experience (and depending on your character) a lot of the hard challenge trials have some useful B&B punishments or Ultra setups in them, but a lot of it is also just flashy stuff. Not all of it necessary, some of it you'll find yourself using a lot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Aye, was gonna come along last week but never made it into town, but maybe Saturday week I'll come along if ye'll have me. At least it'll be an easy win for a few people:rolleyes:

Do the higher tier characters take more learning to be good at playing them?

I generally play Ken, and really enjoy playing him, from what I know it doesnt take a lot to learn most of his game, and I'm not the biggest fan of charging characters. Are there any tips ye would have for playing single player to get better or is it a case of purely playing real people to improve?

There's all levels at the meet ups and you'll learn quick, trust me.

It's not that high tier characters are harder to learn, it's more that they have options in any situation, comboable ultras and usually high damage/ stamina.

Ken's solid enough akaic, his EX DP is a big damage punisher, he can FADC ultra, and he's got a good poking game with all those kicks, especially cr mk and f mk.

Got to say, I would rarely bother with 1 player save to practice combos.

BanjoB wrote: »
    Actually tried it 2day and yep, no cancel properties. that close fierce is what confused me.. was tryin some of those combos too and that one frame link into mp is damn tough.. do u use them much doom??

Not right now. I'm currently using either mp xx fk or mp xx sb cr hk as my main combos.

At the moment I am working on plinking to the cr mp as it'll be handy to use if I haven't time to charge a FK straight from the mp. I think the damage difference is neglible because of scaling.

My Guile is mainly about the zoning and wearing you down slowly. I get a certain amount of slagging over it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Cool, I need to get me XBL Gold or along to meetups then, and in the meantime just do my best to kick seven shades of sh**e out of cheap Seth, and learn how to annoy everyone by playing Sagat

Cheers for the advice lads, one final question, is there a meet up this Saturday and how long do they normally go on and cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Cool, I need to get me XBL Gold or along to meetups then, and in the meantime just do my best to kick seven shades of sh**e out of cheap Seth, and learn how to annoy everyone by playing Sagat

Cheers for the advice lads, one final question, is there a meet up this Saturday and how long do they normally go on and cost?

Not sure if there is one on this week. The cost isn't high at all, a fiver at most (depending on numbers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Why wouldn't there be a meetup this week? People show up every week now, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We didn't make a thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Nobody has mentioned his videos yet I see:

LordofUltima on youtube does some pretty good SFIV videos

3 Minute Fundamentals

Akuma 101

Joystick Tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Anyone know how to do a cr.jab/sweep option select to punish a back dash on wake up? I play somone who does this to me. I asked him how to do it but he never told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

just input cr.jab, cr.jab+sweep with the timing of craining two jabs. If your first jab connects it will cancel into the second jab (chain cancel) and if the first jab whiffs(eg. the opponent backdashes) the sweep will come out because HK has higher priority than LP. It works because the game freezes for a few frames whenever a move connects.

• Advertisement

DarkTalant wrote: »
    just input cr.jab, cr.jab+sweep with the timing of craining two jabs. If your first jab connects it will cancel into the second jab (chain cancel) and if the first jab whiffs(eg. the opponent backdashes) the sweep will come out because HK has higher priority than LP. It works because the game freezes for a few frames whenever a move connects.

Cheers.

Also would a good reversal beat this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Anyone got tips/links to vids for 360, and more importantly 720 motions / ultras?

A-Trak wrote: »
    Anyone got tips/links to vids for 360, and more importantly 720 motions / ultras?

For one you don't need to do the full 360, a 270 rotation does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I read that yesterday, (That you only need to touch 4 points, 8 for 720 so it's only a 540 motion in effect,) and bizarrely this made me whiff the motion more once I knew this.

A-Trak wrote: »
    I read that yesterday, (That you only need to touch 4 points, 8 for 720 so it's only a 540 motion in effect,) and bizarrely this made me whiff the motion more once I knew this.

Dreddy is who you really need to ask this but also maybe you are forgetting you don't need to start in any particular position. So if you're jumping forward, use the up forward position to start buffering. That buys you a little time to be precise.

You looking to use the Orochi breaker? Took Super Honda out of the bag tonight and got it a couple of times.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's a pretty meh move. It would've been okay with a bit more range.

There's one or two ways I've managed to make it slightly workable, though I still prefer U1. Happy to share though :)

First, and much less likely to work against anyone good/someone you haven't trained is c.lk c.lp xx EX.HHS (holding towards) >U2
    Note: You need to leave a tiny tiny gap before you input the button press. Swing that stick 720 towards the end of HHS, then input the button a little after it has ended. If you do it too early they're still in hit stun. But it's pretty easy.

The only problem is they may just jump away as soon as you finish HHS, so if you think they will, jump after them with a jumping fierce, and pressure on the land.

If you think they're going to reversal, block and U2 when they're finished.

A much better way to do it is to FADC out of either a standing fierce or a hp.HHS. The hit stun is much more noticeable though, so you'll have to leave a decent gap before you input the button press, but you can be 720ing before hand. You've a much better chance of catching them off guard with this one, but the above notes still apply. Hope this helps :)

Theres a great frame data app on iphone now. I had a sf4 one but this is way better, really easy to navigate. Its called ssf4guide and its 1.70

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Bush80 wrote: »
    Theres a great frame data app on iphone now. I had a sf4 one but this is way better, really easy to navigate. Its called ssf4guide and its 1.70

Cool.I'm gonna get it right now. Very handy havin all that frame data at my fingertips. Thanks for the heads up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Bush80 wrote: »

Is it the one made by Andrew Stanton?

Ye thats the one. Theres a few on there I think

Heres the link

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-street-fighter-iv-moves/id371887651?mt=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

animaX wrote: »
    Is it the one made by Andrew Stanton?

Yep. It's that very one. Got it last night. Nice menus and easy to read frame data.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dan was asking me today which of Chun's moves link/cancel into SA2.
    Answer: LOTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Makaveli 27

Alright lads, pretty surprised to come across an Irish fighting game site!

Just getting into SSF4 and well im pretty **** so far. Out of maybe 20 online matches ive won about 4.

Watched the videos on the front of this page, some of that stuff is alot to take in for a beginner.

Any tips or advice to get better? Main character is Ryu, mainly because of all my causual encounters with street fighter games throughout the years he was the one with the easiest special moves.

Anyway any input would be appreciated! Getting beaten online gets boring fast.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Alright lads, pretty surprised to come across an Irish fighting game site!

Just getting into SSF4 and well im pretty **** so far. Out of maybe 20 online matches ive won about 4.

Watched the videos on the front of this page, some of that stuff is alot to take in for a beginner.

Any tips or advice to get better? Main character is Ryu, mainly because of all my causual encounters with street fighter games throughout the years he was the one with the easiest special moves.

Anyway any input would be appreciated! Getting beaten online gets boring fast.

Thanks.

Where are you living? Would be very beneficial to you to go to casuals. You'll learn a lot more than online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Makaveli 27

Where are you living? Would be very beneficial to you to go to casuals. You'll learn a lot more than online.
    Dublin, What where when and how is a casual?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Casuals are on in the XGC on Liffey street Wednesdays from 4 o'clock and Saturdays from 2 o'clock.

As chopper said you will learn a lot at the casuals.

There's an article on our website to help get you started going to the events.

There won't be casuals on Saturdays for the next two weeks because there is tournaments on, which you are more then welcome to come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

Nice to see I'm not the only noob around, heh.

I have real problems doing double QCFs on my stick.. Even on their own just in training mode, horribly inconsistent. In fact, my consistency is disgusting in general, my execution is woeful. I really need to improve on this somehow productively.

I also mash like crazy without meaning to, even when I make an effort to only hit a button once. Deary me!

As a result of these I can do no real combos yet either.. I can jump around, do a little damage, and hope I luck the rest.. I can't inflict any real pain or exploit most of the openings I see. Sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

You'll get there, practice doing motions slowly and build up speed as you find your landing your moves. Don't spam. Eventually muscle memory with kick in and your hands will enter in the commands a lot better without you having to give it much thought.

Sisko wrote: »
    You'll get there, practice doing motions slowly and build up speed as you find your landing your moves. Don't spam. Eventually muscle memory with kick in and your hands will enter in the commands a lot better without you having to give it much thought.

This.

I've been playing Guile for well over a year now and last night I spent about 20 minutes in training throwing sonic booms gradually from slowly to as fast as I could over and over again because the new timing is throwing me off. It's not muscle memory yet and it's affecting my game. I mightn't be the best SF player in the world but I am certainly no noob to it. It's part of playing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ian McTetly

I've been playing a little Rufus lately and I was wondering how any Rufus players here approach the Dhalsim match, or even vice versa - I just played a Dhalsim with like 4000 player points and was a flukey s.HK off getting double perfected, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisement