Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way Relay 12th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

4 stars (good)
    Weather forecast anyone????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    Met Eireann-
    Saturday will be dry with a mixture of cloud and sunshine. However, cloud will increase in the northwest later and outbreaks of rain will develop there around nightfall. Light to moderate, northwest winds will back west to southwest and highest temperatures will range 15 to 20 degrees Celsius, warmest in the south and southeast.

Perfect conditions. Might get a bit warm in the afternoon, so teams should have water for their leg 7 runners.

Best of luck to all running tomorrow, its going to be a great race!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

4 stars (good)
    Magnet wrote: »
    Weather forecast anyone????

I heard that there's showers heading in from the West and settling over Laragh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

4 stars (good)
    Met Eireann-
    Saturday will be dry with a mixture of cloud and sunshine. However, cloud will increase in the northwest later and outbreaks of rain will develop there around nightfall. Light to moderate, northwest winds will back west to southwest and highest temperatures will range 15 to 20 degrees Celsius, warmest in the south and southeast.

Perfect conditions. Might get a bit warm in the afternoon, so teams should have water for their leg 7 runners.

Best of luck to all running tomorrow, its going to be a great race!:)

While out on the mountain last time I hid some water for myself just in case....;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I heard that there's showers heading in from the West and settling over Laragh :D

Shuddup you!
    Hope Mrs BeepBeep67 id busy making cookies :pac:.......nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

3 stars (average)
    As long as my team beats BOARDS I'll be a happy man :)

I have rediscovered I am crap on hills recently so I'll be depending heavily on my team mates to whoop some BOARDS ass.

Any of you chickens fancy a gentlemans wager :)

good luck to all runners and hopefully the weather behaves.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)

I have rediscovered I am crap on hills recently so I'll be depending heavily on my team mates to whoop some BOARDS ass.

Any of you chickens fancy a gentlemans wager :)

good luck to all runners and hopefully the weather behaves.

Them's fightin' words:D What wager did you have in mind? *Edit* losing team serves a pint of hooch to each of winning team, venue choice of winners?*

Best advice I can give RR, if you are not used to the hills:

*back off on the uphills. Panting can scar your lungs, so walking- baby steps, slowly- is advisable.
    *remember, the ground is uneven and rough, so be careful on the downhills. Ask yourself, is it really worth your road running career? Think "snapped ankle and major ligament damage- do I really want that?"
    *above all, its a fun event. Don't worry about the navigation, if you go wrong, sure what's the harm. Everyone will see the funny side, so no need for maps.

GO BOARDS!
    :D

4 stars (good)
    Magnet wrote: »
    Hope Mrs BeepBeep67 id busy making cookies :pac:.......nom nom

No cookies tomorrow I don't think as I have a little one with chicken pox and stress levels are high - I'm lucky to be getting out tomorrow at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    I was just packing my stuff for tomorrow, and remembered that I hadn't packed my compulsory rucsack, bivouac tent, gas stove, shovel, emergency flares, maps, compass and three days worth of food supplies. Just as well, as the officials wouldn't let me compete if I hadn't remembered to carry these lifesaving essentials.

Everybody has theirs ready for the pre-race inspection, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Did they ever find that club runner that got lost in the relay last year? Keep an eye out and we could stumble across him.

4 stars (good)
    Did they ever find that club runner that got lost in the relay last year? Keep an eye out and we could stumble across him.

Heard he went native. Lives off frogspawn and tree roots now, in a cave by Glendalough. Brrr! Shoulda kept to his road races...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

From the way RaccoonQueen has been talking, she'll be joining him!! Has anyone got the rescue team on alert?

3 stars (average)
    I was just packing my stuff for tomorrow, and remembered that I hadn't packed my compulsory rucsack, bivouac tent, gas stove, shovel, emergency flares, maps, compass and three days worth of food supplies. Just as well, as the officials wouldn't let me compete if I hadn't remembered to carry these lifesaving essentials.

Everybody has theirs ready for the pre-race inspection, right?

I think our team of sherpas have all our equipment sorted ;) One can never be too careful when leaving civilisation for the wilds of Ireland

3 stars (average)
    Them's fightin' words:D What wager did you have in mind? *Edit* losing team serves a pint of hooch to each of winning team, venue choice of winners?*
    :D

My team are not as confident (or put another way they are not as cocky) as me so I wouldn't like to be the sole looser on an 8 pint round ! I'll think of something in the next hour or so.

BOARDS AC blows donkey balls, come on where's patrick ? (have a guess what happened to one of our runners a few years back?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    From the way RaccoonQueen has been talking, she'll be joining him!! Has anyone got the rescue team on alert?

Pffft I'll be fine. I've studied that map if I was running it from an aerial view I'd fricken ace it!

4 stars (good)
    Boards A team- 7th after leg 1
    Boards B team- 9th after leg 1

4 stars (good)
    ^ that's just savage, interesting day ahead - do you have leg times?

4 stars (good)
    Great performances guys, well done. Back to bed now KC.

4 stars (good)
    ^ that's just savage, interesting day ahead - do you have leg times?

Krusty (A) ?

Earlyevening (B team) 65 mins. Brilliant run, he's been waiting a year to slay that demon:)

4 stars (good)
    The door to the memories of last year's leg 1 can be firmly closed now. Good work EE.

4 stars (good)
    We need satellite tracking of runners. Chip implants I say.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Boards A team- 7th after leg 1
    Boards B team- 9th after leg 1

"where's patrick?" sandwiched between you guys in 8th :D

That was the maddest run I've ever done. 17 minutes for the first 2 miles going up hill, lost lots of ground on the next downhill section. 5.30 minute miling for the next 1.7 miles on the road. I basically did a fartlek hill section on the next uphill. running for 70 seconds walking fast for 30 seconds, this worked well. Lost lots of time on the downhill section again and then ran like feck to try and catch Krusty but he had a decent kick at the end. Great fun and will be interesting to see how the day unfolds. Booh Boards Booh:D

I'm away on holidays now but will be back to gloat over our victory later today or tomorrow :D

4 stars (good)
    Fab 2nd leg by Boards. The pressure mounts on later runners :eek:

4 stars (good)
    Go on the mighty Abhainn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

4 stars (good)
    65 5x for me. I think Krusty was 63 something.
    Its going to be a warm day I'd say. I could already feel it even at 7am.

Good luck to all the later runners!

3 stars (average)
    Yes weather is great. They are predicting highs of 18 but I reckon we could hit 20.

4 stars (good)
    65 5x for me. I think Krusty was 63 something.
    Its going to be a warm day I'd say. I could already feel it even at 7am.

Good luck to all the later runners!

Well done John - nice to put last year behind you with such a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

4 stars (good)
    Well done everyone so far. I'm getting ready to head out the door now for leg 7 - hope to have a nice lead to defend by then.

4 stars (good)
    After a couple of strong runs by Suzanne & Mick (2 mins quicker than last year) - Boards A are in a solid 2nd place 10mins ahead of pre race predictions. 1st place looks out of reach - but who knows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    KC ran leg one in 63 minutes followed by an absolutely INCREDIBLE performance by Abhainn. A team were 12 minutes behind first place after leg 2, 11 minutes behind after leg 3. I've no idea after that.

Great running too by EE with a 65ish minute first leg and a strong run from Magnet on leg 2 coming in in 14th place. I came in just over 40 minutes for leg 3 - still in 14th place. Some really strong runners now in boards B so I wouldn't be surprised if we got a top 10 placing. I'll do it faster next year by making sure I don't need a wee break after 2k. :D

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    After a couple of strong runs by Suzanne & Mick (2 mins quicker than last year) - Boards A are in a solid 2nd place 10mins ahead of pre race predictions. 1st place looks out of reach - but who knows.

Crap we are in 4th. I could be eating humble pie yet !

Advertisement