Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way Relay 12th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

4 stars (good)
    Anyone interested in a recce of leg six this coming Sunday, 23rd? Not sure on time yet but I should know better after this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Mithril you missed a great evening for a run. Leg 5 recce from Glendalough to Glenmalure, tick in the box. Stopped once or twice to admire some of the views which we'll whizz by during the real event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

I am hoping to do reccee of leg1 this Sunday,anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Hi Tempo, I might be up for a 'recce of leg 1, but probably can't make it until around 11am-12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Hey guys,

I'm not a Boards runner (cries of TRAITOR!!) but I wanted to give whoever is running Leg 2 fair warning that there is an electric fence on part of the route (when you're going along by the river to get to the wooden bridge). So don't stick to the river and cross the fence but run along side it (I assume, but no doubt Joe Lalor will make a judgement on it). My team captain shocked herself (taking one for the team like a true captain!) tonight. It doesn't look like a normal electric fence, to me anyway, it looks almost plastic.

I'd stepped over the fence a moment earlier..luckily running shorts keep everything compact and bijoux or that might have been very unpleasant!
    :eek: :eek:

Anyway other than that it's a cracking run, beautiful night for it. Practically no one else on the mountains. Looking forward to it on the day (although it's a bit early...uuggghhhh)

Just thought, fair warning to all teams. I think my team captain will be putting a post up on the IMRA forum about it.

Ro

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Ar Strae wrote: »
    I'm not a Boards runner
    Yet. The night year is young. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    jeffontour wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a recce of leg six this coming Sunday, 23rd? Not sure on time yet but I should know better after this evening.

I'll join you for this. Anybody else want to come along? Meet start 10:45am. Its not often you get to run with a member of the second best mountain running club in Ireland!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one butfor the sake of certainty I just thought I'd ask ... are there any water stops anywhere in the Wicklow Way Relay?

I don't think there are (unless you fall into a river!) but if anyone could confirm, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

4 stars (good)
    Nope. You have to arrange your own support on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Happy days, thought as much. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

4 stars (good)
    How dodgy is it to drink from the rivers on route e.g. the Dargle?
    I get completely different opinions on this depending on who I ask?

4 stars (good)
    I've occasionally drank water from where the Wicklow way crosses the Dargle on leg 2 (on long runs, not when doing leg 2 itself). It's okay as far as I know, though I don't think you should actually need water for Leg 2 on the day.

As far as I know, most of the other major river crossing points are near changeover points so no point taking a drink there. If you're doing leg 7, there are a number of points half way through where you're on the road so a member of your team could meet you there in the car with water.

4 stars (good)
    If you saw the state of the lads and lassie's campsite along the Dargle on our Leg 2 Reccie yesterday, you wouldn't be in any great hurry to drink the water. I think dehydration is a worthy alternative.

4 stars (good)
    Are you thinking of the Dargle or the Glencree river? I notice there always seems to be what looks like a gang of scouts camped out by the wooden bridge over the Glencree.

4 stars (good)
    Hmm.. Not sure.. Following leg 2, it's the one before Crone Wood. I'm sure scouts would have a lot more respect for the area (or at the very least their scout-masters would have!). Lots of black bags full of rubbish along the route. Bottles, food scraps batteries and drunken louts lying everywhere.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, that's Glencree alright. Wasn't sure what the story was with the wild campers, I used always aim to get past them as quickly as possible without making eye contact any time I've run through there :)

The Dargle's the one just after the short descent before the long climb to Djouce. It leads into Powerscourt waterfall.

4 stars (good)
    One of the ladies on our Boards team is injured, so this is an open call for another lady runner, who might be interested in running leg 3 (just under 8k, minimal climb, good trail). Looking for someone who could do this in 35mins or less, ideally. If you're interested, send me a PM as soon as possible, and come and join one of the Boards teams for the best race of the year! Short notice, the race is on this Saturday, thanks:)

Edit, we've found ourselves a runner!

Anyone else who may be looking to run, there's a few shout-outs on the imra forum of teams looking for last-minute replacements.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    I can just see Magnet volunteering to run all those other legs up for grabs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

4 stars (good)
    Plan 'A' has fallen through :( - so the search is back on!

4 stars (good)
    Take 2 ;)

One of the ladies on our Boards team is injured, so this is an open call for another lady runner, who might be interested in running leg 3 (just under 8k, minimal climb, good trail). Looking for someone who could do this in 35mins or less, ideally. If you're interested, send me a PM as soon as possible, and come and join one of the Boards teams for the best race of the year! Short notice, the race is on this Saturday, thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

3 stars (average)
    Hey

I'm doing leg 1 of the relay Saturday. I've done it before but had a disaster getting lost and breaking 3 ribs in the process. I'm going to do a recce this evening. The directions seem a little hazy. Has anybody ran leg 1 recently and if so any advice / better directions would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 stars (good)
    I did a couple of recces over the last few weeks, so if you have any questions, ask away. Have a look at the map on Garmin Connect

Some tips:
    1) When leaving the car park, take the road parallel to the car-park past the map of the forest and the barrier. Not the path that goes immediately up the hill!

2) After 1.5 miles look out for the new path on the right (up over some rocks). This comes after the S-Bend in the route (if you look at Garmin Connect).

3) After 2 1/4 miles, you'll arrive at a T-Junction, where the left turn takes you towards Fairy Castle. You need to take the right turn, and then follow the general direction of the path until you hit the road.

4) after around a mile on the road, you'll see a right turn, and if you look out for it, a sign with a little yellow man (way mark). Follow the path downhill, up past the farm etc. Make sure you take the correct turns at the next few junctions, as you can get quite lost. Look out for the way-marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

3 stars (average)
    Cheers Krusty much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Lots of Bottles, food scraps and drunken louts lying everywhere.
    was boards cork relay team doin a bit of training......

4 stars (good)
    Take 2 ;)

Just putting this back on top of the agenda:
    Boards seeking lady for casual afternoon of mud, sweat and tears. Any offers considered.

Any ladies willing to step-up to the plate?

4 stars (good)
    We now have a lady for leg 3. Rathfarnham B team had a load of injuries, so every cloud has a silver lining. I know a lot of their runners have joined other teams, hopefully they all got sorted.

Welcome to the new Rathfarnham/Boards AC merger team! Roll on Saturday!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    I won't be running but would like to offer my services as taxi man and photographer, it was great crack last year, would hate to miss out on the athmosphere just because I can't run

Is this taxi offer still going? I'm looking for a back up plan as plan A has already fallen through and I'm on plan B now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    Is this taxi offer still going? I'm looking for a back up plan as plan A has already fallen through and I'm on plan B now. :rolleyes:

No probs, I plan on being around up till the start of leg 4 and then I'll be heading home.
    You'll have to be at my house at about 6'30 am though as I want to get pics of leg 1,leg 2 and then I can drop you to Lough Tay an collect you after your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Good luck to the boards teams on Saturday - hope to be back out there running with ye shortly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    No probs, I plan on being around up till the start of leg 4 and then I'll be heading home.
    You'll have to be at my house at about 6'30 am though as I want to get pics of leg 1,leg 2 and then I can drop you to Lough Tay an collect you after your leg.

That would be amazing. No probs getting to you for 6'30 other than getting myself out of bed - though the stress of getting lost should keep me up all night. :D

Advertisement