Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 strech60

My start date is august 15th. I completed my degree last year and I am doing my PGCE now so I am just waiting on my e-tickets I think :) I will be flying from Manchester.

Yea im the same Oh very good what age group do you want to teach? i did my degree last year aswel - I think il be flying from dublin 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Guys how long did it take for them to get back to you after your second skype interview? And have there been any unsuccessful candidates? Just wondering :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jmurtagh3858

zb2311 wrote: »
    Guys how long did it take for them to get back to you after your second skype interview? And have there been any unsuccessful candidates? Just wondering :):)

Yeah I was wondering the exact same thing. Had my 2nd skype interview last Monday and still waiting to hear back from them- but they told me it would be a couple of weeks as well before Id hear anything. They told me this after my first interview and I had to contact them to find out if I was getting another interview.I havent heard of anyone who was offered a 2nd skype intervew that wasnt offered the job out of people that Ive been talking to but I was talking to one girl and she said that she did her 2nd skype interview in March and they didnt get in contact with her until July only a few days before she was flying out :/

Hope we hear soon. Checking my emails every hour, its slowly killing me :'(

Yeah I was wondering the exact same thing. Had my 2nd skype interview last Monday and still waiting to hear back from them- but they told me it would be a couple of weeks as well before Id hear anything. They told me this after my first interview and I had to contact them to find out if I was getting another interview.I havent heard of anyone who was offered a 2nd skype intervew that wasnt offered the job out of people that Ive been talking to but I was talking to one girl and she said that she did her 2nd skype interview in March and they didnt get in contact with her until July only a few days before she was flying out :/

Hope we hear soon. Checking my emails every hour, its slowly killing me :'(

Me too! The suspense is killing me especially since I haven't got a back up job lined up elsewhere! Hope they let us know soon! I say give it 2 weeks and then email them.. there's no harm in showing a keen interest .. but I'm guessing if it was a no they would have said so by now right? Idk :/ lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Me too! The suspense is killing me especially since I haven't got a back up job lined up elsewhere! Hope they let us know soon! I say give it 2 weeks and then email them.. there's no harm in showing a keen interest .. but I'm guessing if it was a no they would have said so by now right? Idk :/ lol

Yeah they told me 2 weeks too and I'm hoping they let us know during April because I have to give 3 months notice to move out of my flat!!! Where are you guys hoping to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I haven't even gotten my "do you want to come back for a second year" contract yet lol. I am surprised they said they'd answer you all back so soon. I doubt they will to be honest. I might be wrong though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Georgie Berkeley

I haven't even gotten my "do you want to come back for a second year" contract yet lol. I am surprised they said they'd answer you all back so soon. I doubt they will to be honest. I might be wrong though! :)

So, am I right in thinking that those of us who had second interviews via skype and have not been offered places yet are on a reserve panel, to be called upon when a preferred applicant either refuses an offer or decides against taking up the position s/he originally accepted?

So, am I right in thinking that those of us who had second interviews via skype and have not been offered places yet are on a reserve panel, to be called upon when a preferred applicant either refuses an offer or decides against taking up the position s/he originally accepted?

Yeah you could be right it's hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauramay77

Ive just applied for a position in Erbil in Iraqi Kirdistan! Im a little bit nervous now with all thats going on with ISIS in Northern Iraq. I know Erbil is relatively safe but the Foreign office advise against travel to all parts of Iraq. Ive just finished my phd and i wanted to get away to experience a whole new way of life but this forum has scared me now! what is attracting me to the school is the pay seems good, tax free and the accommodation and flights ect are all paid for. what is the accommodation like in these places? Are the kids well behaved? Also im british so are there lots of english speaking teachers so i dont feel isolated if i do chose to go to Erbil ?any advise help would be greatly received!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 madmannohj

lauramay77 wrote: »
    Ive just applied for a position in Erbil in Iraqi Kirdistan! Im a little bit nervous now with all thats going on with ISIS in Northern Iraq. I know Erbil is relatively safe but the Foreign office advise against travel to all parts of Iraq. Ive just finished my phd and i wanted to get away to experience a whole new way of life but this forum has scared me now! what is attracting me to the school is the pay seems good, tax free and the accommodation and flights ect are all paid for. what is the accommodation like in these places? Are the kids well behaved? Also im british so are there lots of english speaking teachers so i dont feel isolated if i do chose to go to Erbil ?any advise help would be greatly received!

Hi Laura,

I have an application in for Erbil, Iraq too. I have my second interview sometime next week.

I originally wanted to go to somewhere like Egypt or some of the other countries, not too pushed on UAE even though those locations look amazing!

At least there might be a pair of us in it... I just don't know what kind of social life would be had in Kurdistan and I'm also major pissed Erbil doesn't have a coastline.. no beach :O !!

If you have any info (esp. salary) etc, please give me a shout!! :)

• Advertisement

Does anybody have any experience of working with Sabis/ISC in any other countries other than UAE etc.. ?

I know its the Dubai/UAE forum... But Dubai is all that is spoke about and its impossible to find info on any where else ?

Are you coming from the UK too?! My family aren't very happy about it but it sounds interesting! Are you male or female?! I'm quite nervous about going there being a woman and I've been reading so many forums that seem to think women are very oppressed! I wonder what the accommodation is like!! The pay seems to be around $2,200 upwards tax free!

lauramay77 wrote:
    Are you coming from the UK too?! My family aren't very happy about it but it sounds interesting! Are you male or female?! I'm quite nervous about going there being a woman and I've been reading so many forums that seem to think women are very oppressed! I wonder what the accommodation is like!! The pay seems to be around $2,200 upwards tax free!

Nope, I'll be coming from Ireland. Yeah I don't think anybody really approves, but it would be really interesting!

$2,200 sounds good once the cost of living is low and things aren't hugely over priced! Erbil is in the Kurdish region and not "real" Iraq so I wouldn't worry about it much, from what I've read the expat population is growing all the time :)

Aww that's good! Have you had an interview yet? Would you take the position if they offer it you?! They said its to start in August so perhaps we would start at the same time!
    madmannohj wrote: »
    Nope, I'll be coming from Ireland. Yeah I don't think anybody really approves, but it would be really interesting!

$2,200 sounds good once the cost of living is low and things aren't hugely over priced! Erbil is in the Kurdish region and not "real" Iraq so I wouldn't worry about it much, from what I've read the expat population is growing all the time :)

Guys, sorry to chime in, but I've some experience here too.

I originally applied for Erbil too. I got an email about English language teachers there and applied alongside Bahrain. My family weren't happy but I was adamant that Iraq/Erbil was safe. The woman who interviewed me did so holding a baby and several times the internet failed. It didn't speak wonders about the place to be honest. Eventually in the second interview it was just audio. I mean surely the school must have good internet right?... She was also making sure I knew about the "situation" there, which I was surprised she brought up since I though it was "supposed to be safe". Also, accommodation there is 40mins driving from the school, so you're going to have really frickin' long days there.

Lastly, I still wasn't sure I made the right choice in coming to Bahrain, but I've met several teachers here from Iraq... they were all absolutely SHOCKED when I told them I originally wanted to go to Erbil. They insisted that it just was not safe, despite my intention to stay in Erbil.

That's all I know, hand to heart about Sabis in Erbil. Take from it what you will :)

Oh and I'm sure that most of the kids in Sabis Erbil are most likely locals (since most expats wouldn't want to travel there), behavior (my hunch) is probably disgustingly bad. But they do pay a little more there I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You are applying to work in a semi-autonomous region of a failed state in one of the most volatile regions of the world.

Seriously, look past the dollar signs and have a proper think about it.

What consular assistance is there should something go wrong? How easy is it go get back home? What are the social amenities like? What is the infrastructure like? What is the telecommunications infrastructure like (being easily able to communicate with loved ones is vital when you move abroad)? Are there any restrictions on you practicing your faith? Any restrictions on women? What is your get-out clause should you not like it? What are the school facilities like? And so on.

Far too many questions. I honestly think you would be nuts to consider working in Iraq.

Actually, on top of that I get a lot of emails from Sabis telling me teaching positions have opened in Erbil and if I want to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eva H

My husband and I are moving to Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE in August.
    We are going teaching
    We have 2 children and are worried about childcare. Can anyone give me any suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Faychick21

Hi all,

Lovely to hear all your successful stories.

Unfortunately, I just recieved an email telling me i was unsuccessful after having my second interview 5 days ago. I was absolutely gutted as i visit the UAE every summer and most of my family members live in the UAE and it would have been a great opportunity to be closer to them.

The interviewer i had was a very rude woman who seemed like she didnt want to be there. She kept shaking her head and telling me she couldnt hear me. And just before she ended the interview she asked what was my country of birth because she had never heard of the city before. I found it bizarre and told her where it was and that i lived in the UK since i was 6 years old and i am 21 now. Just wondering do they not give the job to people whos mother tongue isnt English? Although i speak better English than my mother tongue.

Faychick21 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    ...do they not give the job to people whos mother tongue isnt English? Although i speak better English than my mother tongue.

Your native (first) language is all that matters. If it's not English you wont get a job teaching English. They generally give the P.E jobs to Romanian people because of this. Since English isn't their first language they can pay them less and make them work more. Sad but true.

• Advertisement

Faychick21 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Lovely to hear all your successful stories.

Unfortunately, I just recieved an email telling me i was unsuccessful after having my second interview 5 days ago. I was absolutely gutted as i visit the UAE every summer and most of my family members live in the UAE and it would have been a great opportunity to be closer to them.

The interviewer i had was a very rude woman who seemed like she didnt want to be there. She kept shaking her head and telling me she couldnt hear me. And just before she ended the interview she asked what was my country of birth because she had never heard of the city before. I found it bizarre and told her where it was and that i lived in the UK since i was 6 years old and i am 21 now. Just wondering do they not give the job to people whos mother tongue isnt English? Although i speak better English than my mother tongue.

I'm so sorry to hear that, the whole application process takes so long and to have a no at the end of it must be hard! Best wishes and good luck for your future endeavours, don't give up!

Guys, sorry to chime in, but I've some experience here too.

I originally applied for Erbil too. I got an email about English language teachers there and applied alongside Bahrain. My family weren't happy but I was adamant that Iraq/Erbil was safe. The woman who interviewed me did so holding a baby and several times the internet failed. It didn't speak wonders about the place to be honest. Eventually in the second interview it was just audio. I mean surely the school must have good internet right?... She was also making sure I knew about the "situation" there, which I was surprised she brought up since I though it was "supposed to be safe". Also, accommodation there is 40mins driving from the school, so you're going to have really frickin' long days there.

Lastly, I still wasn't sure I made the right choice in coming to Bahrain, but I've met several teachers here from Iraq... they were all absolutely SHOCKED when I told them I originally wanted to go to Erbil. They insisted that it just was not safe, despite my intention to stay in Erbil.

That's all I know, hand to heart about Sabis in Erbil. Take from it what you will :)

Oh and I'm sure that most of the kids in Sabis Erbil are most likely locals (since most expats wouldn't want to travel there), behavior (my hunch) is probably disgustingly bad. But they do pay a little more there I think!

Thanks BigStupidGuy for your input, so I am guessing you never took the job there in the end? I actually originally applied for Azerbaijan but the positions filled fast, it's a new school so they probably only have few students not requiring many teachers.

Whats the situation like in Erbil now, I would of thought myself it was safe considering it was the Kurdish region but that may have been naive of me...

I am really unsure about the whole thing, I have my second interview tomorrow with the director and my first interview with HR went great! I really want to have a new job lined up for after college (maybe a bit too much), but I think with the amount of applications going to UAE and surrounding Gulf regions it could be near impossible to get a job there at this point?

I will take the interview tomorrow and see how it goes and what they offer etc and if I am offered anything I will have to have a good think about it. I am 25 so I will kind of want some sort of social/night life which may not be available there and also I'm guessing women in this country are a big no-no haha, lets hope the expat population is growing fast!

I may be a bit nuts but I am also really interested in the Schools in Egypt and Lebanon also, anybody have any experiences with ISC/SABIS and these countries ??

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You are applying to work in a semi-autonomous region of a failed state in one of the most volatile regions of the world.

Seriously, look past the dollar signs and have a proper think about it.

What consular assistance is there should something go wrong? How easy is it go get back home? What are the social amenities like? What is the infrastructure like? What is the telecommunications infrastructure like (being easily able to communicate with loved ones is vital when you move abroad)? Are there any restrictions on you practicing your faith? Any restrictions on women? What is your get-out clause should you not like it? What are the school facilities like? And so on.

Far too many questions. I honestly think you would be nuts to consider working in Iraq.

Tom Thanks for your input also, these are definitely some questions I need to think about.

I will keep ye posted on how tomorrow goes.

Thanks,

I had my interview today with a lady who told me everythin I need to know! The school in erbil is very well respected and has there own contingency plan for staff should anythin go down but over the last ten years they haven't had to use it! of course there is an element of risk with it being so close to a war zone, however less people are killed in Erbil each year than there is in London in a month! I've also spoken to loads of ex pats out there through forums and I'm happy enough to take the job if I get offered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coole31

Hi all, I have signed my contract with Sabis but am still awaiting confirmation of where I will be placed. I applied with a friend and we did the interviews together and signed together informing each person who was in contact with us that we would like to travel together if at all possible. Does anyone know if Sabis do place people together or just put people in different locations. We have applied for Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Doha!

Your native (first) language is all that matters. If it's not English you wont get a job teaching English. They generally give the P.E jobs to Romanian people because of this. Since English isn't their first language they can pay them less and make them work more. Sad but true.

My first language is English but i guess they just didnt like me. Yeh, the last thing they care about is equal rights which is very sad indeed. I have witnessed how the Indians are treated over there and it just breaks my heart.

I'm so sorry to hear that, the whole application process takes so long and to have a no at the end of it must be hard! Best wishes and good luck for your future endeavours, don't give up!

Yeh it was very disappointing to have that news broken to you after having your hopes up for such a long time. But i guess thats life. You win some, you lose some.

Thankyou very much for your kind words. Wish you the best and success in your job too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kagey15

Hey,

Anyone know how to get their degree attested and how long it takes. Do I have to send my actual degree or just the transcripts ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jmurtagh3858

Just wondering did anyone else who did a second skype get asked for their locations? I was asked for my locations at the end of my interview just wondering if this is a good sign? Had my interview last Monday week but still havent heard anything or got any reply :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Just wondering did anyone else who did a second skype get asked for their locations? I was asked for my locations at the end of my interview just wondering if this is a good sign? Had my interview last Monday week but still havent heard anything or got any reply :(

Yeah! In the same boat, really just want them tell me some (hopefully good) news on the interview. The weather in the UK today is making me want to leave even more!

Advertisement