Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Georgie Berkeley

Thanks! Fingers crossed its the same this year! :)

For what it's worth, I emailed SABIS the other day and asked what the situation was with my application. I was told that I'm "being considered for the next academic year", and that I will be "contacted soon for [sic] the next steps in the process".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Hi guys, just got word that I have my final Skype interview with ISC this week which I'm super happy about - can anyone shed light on what I might be asked if anyone has had their second skype interview already?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jmurtagh3858

Hi guys, just got word that I have my final Skype interview with ISC this week which I'm super happy about - can anyone shed light on what I might be asked if anyone has had their second skype interview already?

Thanks in advance!

I just got word yesterday that I have my second and final skype interview too. I was talking to a friend who has already completed their interview and they said to focus on the following for the final interview:
    - SABIS point system (read through all notes on the the sabis individual applicant log in page)
    - The qualities of a good teacher
    - Reasons why you would be a good teacher in your opinion
    - How you would control a class (classes are usually 35+ students- so think this through- best to read up on and use SABIS discipline methods: detention, reporting to Department/Academic Quality Controllers etc..)

Im also gonna read over my application form and the answers that I gave for the questions.

Hope this helps!

I just got word yesterday that I have my second and final skype interview too. I was talking to a friend who has already completed their interview and they said to focus on the following for the final interview:
    - SABIS point system (read through all notes on the the sabis individual applicant log in page)
    - The qualities of a good teacher
    - Reasons why you would be a good teacher in your opinion
    - How you would control a class (classes are usually 35+ students- so think this through- best to read up on and use SABIS discipline methods: detention, reporting to Department/Academic Quality Controllers etc..)

Im also gonna read over my application form and the answers that I gave for the questions.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much that is really helpful! Good luck! Where are you hoping to be placed?

Thanks so much that is really helpful! Good luck! Where are you hoping to be placed?

No problem! Thank You! Well we have to choose 4 locations and they will more than likely give you one of your 4 choices. My preference is Abu Dhabi or Sharjah. Still not sure about other locations, will need to do some more research about them! Do you know if we will have a face to face interview after the second skype interview? After the face to face interview the interviewees were given the contract to sign and I havent had any emails with a contract as of yet. Just wondering if you know anything about this?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

No problem! Thank You! Well we have to choose 4 locations and they will more than likely give you one of your 4 choices. My preference is Abu Dhabi or Sharjah. Still not sure about other locations, will need to do some more research about them! Do you know if we will have a face to face interview after the second skype interview? After the face to face interview the interviewees were given the contract to sign and I havent had any emails with a contract as of yet. Just wondering if you know anything about this?

Thanks!

Did they say in your email about chosing 4 places? I know others have had to but they didn't mention it to me. They just said this was my second and final skype interview... But no contract! I'm guessing there won't be a face to face as they said it was my final interview!? Others have written that they had a contract sent to them before the final interview soaybe we will get it before? Or maybe just after? Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 strech60

Thanks!

Im new to this !i had my final skype interview last week it lasted 10 minutes! my first skype interview was 40 minutes tho! i was asked about my preferences that i would know in 24 hours about my contract -i had it monday on wednesday morning was sent an email with it and was offered a place in Ras Al Khaimah had 48 hours to comfirm it !

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

strech60 wrote: »
    was offered a place in Ras Al Khaimah had 48 hours to comfirm it !

FYI - Just so you know, I've heard quite bad things about that school. Moral is apparently quite low among staff. It should be okay if you are teaching something like English or Math, as you'll have support. However, if you applied for PE, art, music or computers I would heavily recommend against it.

But I don't know for sure... :(

FYI - Just so you know, I've heard quite bad things about that school. Moral is apparently quite low among staff. It should be okay if you are teaching something like English or Math, as you'll have support. However, if you applied for PE, art, music or computers I would heavily recommend against it.

But I don't know for sure... :(

Oh really :/ i applied for KG level i was told il will have a teaching assistant ?i suppose il find out in september anyways !

Did they say in your email about chosing 4 places? I know others have had to but they didn't mention it to me. They just said this was my second and final skype interview... But no contract! I'm guessing there won't be a face to face as they said it was my final interview!? Others have written that they had a contract sent to them before the final interview soaybe we will get it before? Or maybe just after? Who knows!

No I didnt get an email about choosing 4 places but thats what everyone else who have already been interviewed have been asked- so Im preparing just incase I am asked about my location preferences! Yeah thats what I assumed aswell as they told me it was my final interview after being successful in my first one! I think maybe they have finished the face to face interviews (in Dublin) and were under some time pressure to get as many people as possible interviewed!

• Advertisement

The "teach dubai" website is a useful resource if you are preparing for your final interview (search for interview questions on this website - I found in particular the first 20 odd questions listed on the page were relevant)

Oh really :/ i applied for KG level i was told il will have a teaching assistant ?i suppose il find out in september anyways !

You should be fine then! :)

I'll throw this open to the floor, though BigStupidGuy is probably best placed to answer it: Why would they inform you at the end of your skype interview that you'll be invited to a face-to-face interview, to take place in Dublin in mid-March, but then, 3 months after that initial interview, offer you a second skype interview? It just doesn't make sense to me, given that they had interviewers in Dublin last week.

Has anyone had a second skype interview and not received/ been declined a job offer with sabis? Or does anyone know if you are invited for a second skype interview does that mean you have a strong chance of getting the job? I had my second skype interview and they told me that they would be in touch in the coming weeks! If anyone has any experience/information regarding this would be appreciated!

Has anyone had a second skype interview and not received/ been declined a job offer with sabis? Or does anyone know if you are invited for a second skype interview does that mean you have a strong chance of getting the job? I had my second skype interview and they told me that they would be in touch in the coming weeks! If anyone has any experience/information regarding this would be appreciated!

It was a second interview, so they're obviously very keen. I don't know any more than that. In fact, their whole approach to recruitment has me quite confused.

It was a second interview, so they're obviously very keen. I don't know any more than that. In fact, their whole approach to recruitment has me quite confused.

They didn't let me or my roommate know we were going until about 5 days before we flew out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lhealy2

They didn't let me or my roommate know we were going until about 5 days before we flew out.

Hi a few of my friends are teaching in UAE they are not with sabis but tell me they are earning extra money giving grinds in the evening, is there much opportunity to do this while working for sabis out there?

You're not allowed to have any other income whilst working for Sabis. If they catch you you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lhealy2

You're not allowed to have any other income whilst working for Sabis. If they catch you you're in trouble.

Oh ok Thanks, Guess they have different contracts!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

Actually it depends on the school. If you're in a city, you'll get away with it. I know people in SABIS schools in Dubai, Al ain and Abu Dhabi who all do grinds and nothing has ever been said to them.

Technically you're not supposed to as your visa is only granted for teaching and grinds is not included in this but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.

Policies for most things vary from school to school anyway.

• Advertisement

Well to be honest, you'll get away with it. Just don't be stupid about it. Don't teach students in your school and don't tell anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HeronymusBotch

Well! I was wondering if anyone had contacted schools directly and if there is anyone who could say where the best jobs are? I heard a lot of negative stories about sabis and I was wondering if anyone has an alternative or a heads up about any jobs going?

Cheers in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HeronymusBotch

Sorry, I just realised I posted twice with general questions and never even said thanks to BSG for the reply, my apologies!

So, thanks for the reply BigStupidGuy, you're a gent. If I could pose another question; How closely do they check references for sabis and ADEC? If I said I had a first class honours how could they check it?

Thanks again to everyone on this, it's been a great help!

Hey guys, so had my second interview yesterday and all looks pretty positive, they will be in touch in the next two weeks. Can I ask a question - what are the chances of getting one of the first 3 of your 4 choices and because I have given them those choices will they offer me a contract with the specific place or a contract saying it will be one of the four? Thanks 😊

Sorry, I just realised I posted twice with general questions and never even said thanks to BSG for the reply, my apologies!

So, thanks for the reply BigStupidGuy, you're a gent. If I could pose another question; How closely do they check references for sabis and ADEC? If I said I had a first class honours how could they check it?

Thanks again to everyone on this, it's been a great help!

:pac:

They'll ask you to send your degree and transcripts. Scans obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rachael.Zayne

Im new to this !i had my final skype interview last week it lasted 10 minutes! my first skype interview was 40 minutes tho! i was asked about my preferences that i would know in 24 hours about my contract -i had it monday on wednesday morning was sent an email with it and was offered a place in Ras Al Khaimah had 48 hours to comfirm it !

I am also going here! I have signed and scanned the contract. How are you getting along with it?

I am also going here! I have signed and scanned the contract. How are you getting along with it?

Oh really im the same just waiting for my degree to translated ive everything else sent ! Whats your starting date ?

Congrats on getting your contracts :) out of curiosity, did you give them an indication of how long you wanted to stay with the company?

Congrats on getting your contracts :) out of curiosity, did you give them an indication of how long you wanted to stay with the company?

I told them a year maybe two that i plan on doing a masters il have to see how the first year goes! The guy interviewing me seemed grand about it 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Rachael.Zayne

Oh really im the same just waiting for my degree to translated ive everything else sent ! Whats your starting date ?

My start date is august 15th. I completed my degree last year and I am doing my PGCE now so I am just waiting on my e-tickets I think :) I will be flying from Manchester.

Advertisement