Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

A wum ,yes good lad.Wow.
    Im hardly a wum,now go so many matches while you have blisters stuck up your arse sitting down and not going any id say .If you did,you know what cregan has.

I saw mary I train many times ,even played limerick minors in ul,o mahony wasnt there .Check back ,i posted here in december.

Your clueless,cregan had nothing do with ,Mary I .
    You say same re minors ,i bet,still I bet ,you never wattch them train.

Take your head out the sands ffs ,Cregan had huge input in mary I .

Haven spoken to most of the team I know who they would praise more for their success- But i'll let you off on your rant, you seem to know more than me even tho I speak to most of the lads on that team every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Vanolder wrote: »
    Haven spoken to most of the team I know who they would praise more for their success- But i'll let you off on your rant, you seem to know more than me even tho I speak to most of the lads on that team every other day.

You speak and get second hand info
    I watch and actually see it,like I saw mary 1

You want more games as example just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Im not bitter,i just call it straight and have unlike some ,no agenda.
    You havent called me on any contrdaictions.Name them,i answer every post,you pick and choose ,when you dont like what you read.

Your the one running with the hare ,and chasing with the hound when it suits .
    You said here o grady way was outdated and against him,you then mellowed a bit ,and saying two sides to it.Then you change tact again.

Many not just me have said what I said .Are they all bitter ??

No there real,gaa men,know what there talking about and arent naive our fickle enough to think limerick can win with out tactial nous,and tj is clearly lacking in that.

Please explain what have selectors done prove there up to it???
    Please dont spout jibberish,i want real fact,like what they won.
    Now please dont say cork junior hurling title is quantifable .

You say you feel for the real limerick supporters yet you make jibes and can't wait to see how this plays out etc.

I pick and choose what to reply to because I haven't to time to read and reply to too long posts that repeat the same things over and over.

I said to premier that I can see his point of view, there is evidence for both sides, as I pointed out. I still stand by my view and doubt I will ever be proved wrong as no other county will be offering enough cash to tempt O'Grady out again.

Lyons has been involved with the limerick team the last two years and Beary was the main man alongside Stack when Na P won two munsters titles, though I don't know why that's an issue now.

You say you feel for the real limerick supporters yet you make jibes and can't wait to see how this plays out etc.

I pick and choose what to reply to because I haven't to time to read and reply to too long posts that repeat the same things over and over.

I said to premier that I can see his point of view, there is evidence for both sides, as I pointed out. I still stand by my view and doubt I will ever be proved wrong as no other county will be offering enough cash to tempt O'Grady out again.
    Lyons has been involved with the limerick team the last two years and Beary was the main man alongside Stack when Na P won two munsters titles, though I don't know why that's an issue now.

I do short posts

Simplify in all irelands ,that what ye want aspire to?or is

They won nothing

Of course its a shambles yere own said that

And yes I wont support team or tj or board now

I know what is right and wrong,just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭cnoc

Hanalei wrote: »
    Well that's good to know at least! To add a bit of context, I had been speaking to one of the stewards that day before the game and he was telling me about one of the Clare lads going out with a few friends after his exams in either UCC or CIT. The group of friends go into a shop and all buy ice creams except for the Clare panelist who refused as he was afraid it would get back to Davy that he had an ice cream!

No idea just how true that story was but I remember thinking at the time; "There's one of the Limerick lads scoffing down a bag of wine gums in front of the management while the Clare lads over there are afraid of their lives that Davy will hear they had an ice cream on a hot day a hundred kilometres away in Cork!"

Some years ago I was at a game in the Gaelic Grounds - I cannot remember the team Limerick were playing - and a member of the team was replaced by a substitute. The player that was taken off smoked a cigarette on the sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Just a few observations from an outsider.

It is generally accepted that the Limerick County Board has shown no little incompetence in the current debacle. Do remember though that the board consists of volunteers. Probably their biggest problem is the endless availability of money, and money is the root of all evil. It attracts the wrong kind of people for the wrong reasons.

The same County Board must have something going for it considering the success of underage teams, colleges and county, and club teams winning. Munster championships. Clearly decent structures are in place but unfortunately when it comes to senior ranks there is a problem.

The County Board now have an opportunity to recruit a top class modern coach. With their latest/previous appointment they got it wrong for reasons we will never really know.

While O'Grady seemed like the correct appointment first time around it was a big mistake to give him a second bite of the cherry! You can argue about his relative success first time around but in truth under the prevailing circumstances at that time he just couldn't lose. Limerick were at rock bottom and O'Grady had a previous track record in dispute situations which to some extent clouded his perceived coaching skills. Cork followers have every right to be forever thankful to him for rescuing Cork and understandably will defend him and his coaching prowess. The facts are though that as manager of Cork he lost an All Ireland final and won the following year having adapted the game plan from Newtownshandrum. And credit to him for that. He then rode into the sunset.

As was posted many times previously, O'Grady knows no other game plan and therein lies the problem with Limerick. You play to a teams strengths, never inflicting an alien style on them. Limerick need somebody who knows their style and can appreciate and accept it. Clearly O'Grady simply doesn't.

Back to finance - the County Board officials are unpaid, the player are unpaid but the manager gets well paid. Remember that when levelling criticism. The other thing to remember is that O'Grady in his well paid role as analyst with RTE TV, TG4, RTE Radio, Irish. Examiner etc doesn't spare players from time to time. Those players have no forum to defend themselves against him unlike he had this week when running to a variety of media outlets to publicise his side of the row.

As another poster correctly said, O'Grady is outdated as a coach in the same way that Ger Loughnane and Justin McCarthy were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Go and get Martin Fogarty if you want a really top class man. He has been Brian Cody's right hand man for years with an excellent underage record of his own. At present he is helping out out Westmeath and is almost certainly available.

Go and get Martin Fogarty if you want a really top class man. He has been Brian Cody's right hand man for years with an excellent underage record of his own. At present he is helping out out Westmeath and is almost certainly available.

A top top coach,far too shrewd and wise to get involved current limerick set up ,where unlike cody set up would not be trusted ,be undermined and work with a lad miles of elite intercounty level

Its a job not many top coaches would touch

Aidan walsh said unlikey cusack would go in after o grady.

Updates match on cork thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Seamus Hickey came on as a sub, that is great news at least!

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Seamus Hickey came on as a sub, that is great news at least!

And Declan Hannon.

And Declan Hannon.

What game is that, is there a challenge versus Cork on this weekend? Can't imagine the result following the week Limerick have had. Nothing but a hammering by a Cork team with top class management team and total harmony in the camp. Fingers crossed for ye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Grats wrote: »
    What game is that, is there a challenge versus Cork on this weekend? Can't imagine the result following the week Limerick have had. Nothing but a hammering by a Cork team with top class management team and total harmony in the camp. Fingers crossed for ye.

Challenge against Cork in Charleville.

Lost by 3 points. Hit 18 wides apparently. Graeme Mul scored 2 goals, Dodge at centre-forward.

Expected some sort of performance following the walk-out, thought we might win it tbh. But these matches really don't matter results-wise, it's all about building towards Championship... there didn't seem to be much variation in the team selection.

Na Piarsaigh won a 3-in-a-row of U-21s today, against Patrickswell. Was following a few updates, were down by 2 at half-time, but won by 11 in the end.

Had Mark Buckley at 3, Ronan Lynch at 6, Dave Dempsey at 11; with Michael Casey at 5, William O'Donoghue at midfield, the minor Grimes at 10, Dowling at 12, Peter Casey and Evan Egan inside.

Dempsey got 1-3, Grimes 1-1, Peter Casey 0-4. You'd have to think a few of them would be in contention for the U-21s this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭cnoc

Lost by 3 points. Hit 18 wides apparently. Graeme Mul scored 2 goals, Dodge at centre-forward.

Expected some sort of performance following the walk-out, thought we might win it tbh. But these matches really don't matter results-wise, it's all about building towards Championship... there didn't seem to be much variation in the team selection.

Who was FB for LK? Any new players get a run out?

3 points??? Guess the sort of troubles ye had during the week can work two ways, heavy beating or all out performance. Either way I would never have expected ye to get that close to Cork. Three goals scored? Were Cork under strength? Hopefully ye can put this sorry episode behind now and kick on. That result should give Limerick great hope. A good modern coach now with TJ and look forward to the Munster campaign.

I wasn't there, thinkstoomuch is the man to ask about the game but:

cnoc wrote: »
    Who was FB for LK? Any new players get a run out?

Richie Mc was full-back. No new players, I'm pretty sure the team only included players who made the final cut for the Championship, so all of them would have played some part in the league.

Hickey and Hannon coming on would have been the big news.

3 points??? Guess the sort of troubles ye had during the week can work two ways, heavy beating or all out performance. Either way I would never have expected ye to get that close to Cork. Three goals scored? Were Cork under strength? Hopefully ye can put this sorry episode behind now and kick on. That result should give Limerick great hope. A good modern coach now with TJ and look forward to the Munster campaign.

Cork didn't have their best team out... a mix of big players and a few more fringe players.

There was no Lehane, no Joyce, no O'Neill, no Harnedy, no Kearney, no McLoughlin, no Horgan in the starting team. Significantly weakened.

Doubt we'll gain much hope from the performance tbh. You have to remember that training-wise, the players should be well up to speed, it's only tactics that have left them down to date. And with rumours of discontent with O'Grady, there should have been a big performance from some of them today. I just don't see us having it on the sideline for the Championship- whoever the new coach is, a lot of pressure on him.

I wasn't there, thinkstoomuch is the man to ask about the game but:

Richie Mc was full-back. No new players, I'm pretty sure the team only included players who made the final cut for the Championship, so all of them would have played some part in the league.

Hickey and Hannon coming on would have been the big news.

Cork didn't have their best team out... a mix of big players and a few more fringe players.

There was no Lehane, no Joyce, no O'Neill, no Harnedy, no Kearney, no McLoughlin, no Horgan in the starting team. Significantly weakened.

Doubt we'll gain much hope from the performance tbh. You have to remember that training-wise, the players should be well up to speed, it's only tactics that have left them down to date. And with rumours of discontent with O'Grady, there should have been a big performance from some of them today. I just don't see us having it on the sideline for the Championship- whoever the new coach is, a lot of pressure on him.

Hang in there and hopefully things will turn for the better. Cork had a decent set of backs out and ye got three goals on them, that ain't bad.

Hang in there and hopefully things will turn for the better. Cork had a decent set of backs out and ye got three goals on them, that ain't bad.

Dont judge a game you werent at
    Anti cork bias ,give it up

Nash two penaltes you be glad to know

Fireball updates on cork thread mate

Ye had no plan,had direct hurling had a stronger team

Hannon seamus hickey came on

We had ten lads out around

And won by 3
    Just being honest ye were poor

I do report cork thread later

Teams are there already

Ghrame got 2-5 aprox senasiostnal

Condon went of injured

Walsh destroyed paudi o brien

• Advertisement

Dont judge a game you werent at
    Anti cork bias ,give it up

Nash two penaltes you be glad to know

Fireball updates on cork thread mate

Ye had no plan,had direct hurling had a stronger team

Hannon seamus hickey came on

We had ten lads out around

And won by 3
    Just being honest ye were poor

I do report cork thread later

Teams are there already

Ghrame got 2-5 aprox senasiostnal

Condon went of injured

Walsh destroyed paudi o brien

Of course. I wasn't at the match, why would I be. For your info I was at three matches today but not too many readers are interested in every little insignificant incident of my pastime and certainly not yours. It is a public forum on which everybody is entitled to express an opinion. God knows you express more than your fair share and do your best to hijack various forums with your drivel. This is the Limerick forum on which I am encouraging their supporters to keep the faith unlike you and the disgraceful posts you contributed all week with the prime purpose of defending an outdated coach who is well compensated for the small amount of criticism he gets.

You've been told on many forums that you're nothing but a bully. You're entitled to say what you want on your own thread, and indeed even there you were put in your place, but don't try talking down to those of us on other forums.

Your type of arrogance I associate with an outdated coach who does his best to promote himself as to be something he ain't, just like you.

Only a double, and after-timing, but I've always liked betting on the Limerick Football Championship- have generally been lucky predicting games and odds are often favourable.

ByyM2Ae.jpg

Meant to add Ballysteen, St. Kieran's and NCW to it yesterday. Luckily I didn't, because while the first 2 won, Fr. Casey's under Liam Kearns beat NCW. Hopefully it can be a fruitful market for me for the year :)

Cork 3-20 to 3-17 limerick
    Cork team was changed from the programme even the subs

Limerick had one change

Cork had nash,sullivan,keane,burke
    Ellis,egan(shane o neill replaced him )
    Cahalane was down as 7,was cormac murphy who was lad got two great points,damien came on

O shea,lawton

cian,cooper,and walsh
    Moylan,bud,and cads

Subs as programme

Mccarthy
    Mcdonnell
    Kearney
    Lehane
    Bud
    Harnedy
    Joyce
    O neill
    Cahalane

As I said above team lined out differently
    Murphy wasnt in programme started
    Mcdonnell,harndy,lehane were nt there

Limerick unlike in feb,however played an orthdox game 15 v 15 hit ball after down on our backs ,and we were alert to it.Limerick were so predictable.Had around 20 wides so players got to take responbilty.

Tipp play maher as a sweeper ,and they have much bigger probs that tonight.
    Cork cant get carried away ,as we wont met as naive manager as tj again,and most teams play a sweeper ,test us .

I expected limerick to win ,as stronger team ,and expected a rection from them.They were flat ,and looked a team that had no energy.And I didnt expect it with full strength side close to it tonight.
    They have real problems going forward.

Limerick

Quaid,walsh,riche,condon(king as injured).condon I think it was a groin injury,he was paying superbly
    O brien ,wayne mac,gavin o mahony
    Browne,tom ryan
    James ryan didnt start,allis did
    Dodge,
    Reidy
    Muclchay
    Downes
    Tobin

Hannon,hickey ,o loughlin(brother is with minors,and played harty with chareville, got game,hannon two great points
    Looked good

Seamus hickey great to see him again after an awful injury ,was solid in ist game back as a sub

The subs they had per programme(not 100 per cent was programme holder)

Hennesy
    King
    O loughlin
    Morrisey
    Allis
    Hickey
    Fitzgibbon
    O. brien
    Quaid hannon

Limerick best men ,riche ,condon,wayne at time,dodge ,and hannon,ghraeme mul and tom ryan had a superb game.King had a great game

Ghrame got around 2-5 from play

Ryan hurled a lot
    Allis wasnt down to start,replaced james ryan,and wasnt much in the game

Paudie and gavin struggled

Riche had a great game,great point

Latest news is that there will be no hurling coach appointed, Beary will step up. While I have no problem with Beary, I definitely think we needed to appoint someone new, if only from a tactics pov. It may never have been likely at this stage but we should have at least tried. If the result from Cork is anything to go by, it could be a very tough year.

Latest news is that there will be no hurling coach appointed, Beary will step up. While I have no problem with Beary, I definitely think we needed to appoint someone new, if only from a tactics pov. It may never have been likely at this stage but we should have at least tried. If the result from Cork is anything to go by, it could be a very tough year.

Tj running the show so.
    This gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

That's a weak cork side, losing by 3 doesn't bode well.

The broer thought Stephen walsh was very good. Graham obviously good and tomas ryan played very well.

Seanie tobin 4 wides

Browne 2 bad wides went for goal when should have scored also.

Hickey came on and went from goal from 30 yards pfff, obviously his decision making hasn't improved either.

Allis not good enough, reidy average on the frees.

Not happy with downes at FF.

Paidi needs to move back to midfied ASAP.

I don't think Paudie is physical enough for wing-back tbh. A wonderful distributor, and fine against certain sides as he's decent in the air. But he's a midfielder first and foremost, and against strong half-forwards, he can be exposed defensively.

But the complete lack of variation in that position throughout the last 2 years will come back to haunt us. Ryan is a fine hurler but much more suited to wing-back than Paudie is really. He'll do well higher up for sure, but he has the power and strength to dominate at half-back too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've cleaned the thread - don't get personal with things again. We love great debate, but not when there are personal insults flying. If you have a problem with a post, report it please rather than engaging with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

When's the next challenge TTM, we're playing club the next 2 Thursday nights, presume it'll be clare of KK?

• Advertisement

Yeah lads, I don't come here to read pointless arguments tbf, come here to talk about Limerick.

Anyone see that Diarmuid Dee from Mungret got called up to the Junior World Cup squad for the Ireland U-20s? Decent achievement... he didn't feature at all during the U-20 6 Nations, but if he can get even a game or two and perform well, he might have an outside chance of getting a professional contract. Presume he won't be playing for the Limerick U-21s either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement