Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Thinkstoomuch, that's a very long post, I normally agree with most of what you post but I disagree with pretty much all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sam Jam

Your view defines all what wrongs in limerick

Just turn up day,hope it clicks

You have any idea what it takes tactically to win an all ireland and training wise

You really show your hurling punditry skills when zou dismiss clare as being average same as limerick

Clares touch and speed miles ahead limerick and o grady working towards that.

I say you never watched clare train ul north campus jan to april,you did you would clearly see why they won it and why limerick if tj stays wont be in an asses roar of a munster not to mind all ireland

He would struggle to win a waterford crystal

But hey ,ye may get lucky in 4 games and go all the way.

Sorry for having an opinion about my own counties hurling fortunes. Thanks for putting me straight on this. We need more Cork people telling us what to do. Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Sam Jam wrote: »
    Sorry for having an opinion about my own counties hurling fortunes. Thanks for putting me straight on this. We need more Cork people telling us what to do. Good man.

Tom Ryan would do a good job, I think TJ needs to be shown the door asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Rightwing wrote: »
    Donal O Grady has disgraced himself. Stay retired FFS.

Now, over to the county board, resign. You lot are a total embarrassment.

How has he?

He simply refused to apologise and be undermine by lads in suit and ties that wouldnt recognise a sliothar from tennis ball if hit them on the nose and bounced back up and slapped them in the arse

Hes trying to change a game plan

Should waited til june t. Judge

Donal og has came out standing as tall as he ever did,even better takes no sh*t lads havent got clue re the game

Its ist time he walked out.
    This limerick 4th huring management fiacaso ,who do you think seriously looks worse

O grady doesnt need earn hes cord.Been there done that player manager

Limerick board are the ones that have to justify there actions

O grady wont loose a wink sleep over it

Limerick are ,a joke ,i hate to say it

Yere top table messed with wrong lad

He was dead right ,told them where to go

You either got pride,principle or you dont

He has it.

O grady is far from disgrace.He would be taken any county in the morn

Yere the team no ones wants now

Oh wait ,tom ryan,tj ryan ,ciaran carey and davie moriaty trainer

And limerick board run to the leader,like fai with stan the man and the late bobby robson(rip)as world class management,and say we got best management in the country

Ye fool no ones but yerselves

Well done donal

Sweet jesus

Good wont win all irelands

Ye wanted an all ireland I thought

A man that made a balls of newtown,year later went to win all ireland

He lost every club ,senior all ireland manager

Clare u21 tear ye new one
    Unreal ,tom ryan.Good luck with him

• Advertisement

How has he?

He simply refused to apologise and be undermine by lads in suit and ties that wouldnt recognise a sliothar from tennis ball if hit them on the nose and bounced back up and slapped them in the arse

Hes trying to change a game plan

Should waited til june t. Judge

Donal og has came out standing as tall as he ever did,even better takes no sh*t lads havent got clue re the game

Its ist time he walked out.
    This limerick 4th huring management fiacaso ,who do you think seriously looks worse

O grady doesnt need earn hes cord.Been there done that player manager

Limerick board are the ones that have to justify there actions

O grady wont loose a wink sleep over it

Limerick are ,a joke ,i hate to say it

Yere top table messed with wrong lad

He was dead right ,told them where to go

You either got pride,principle or you dont

He has it.

O grady is far from disgrace.He would be taken any county in the morn

Yere the team no ones wants now

Oh wait ,tom ryan,tj ryan ,ciaran carey and davie moriaty trainer

And limerick board run to the leader,like fai with stan the man and the late bobby robson(rip)as world class management,and say we got best management in the country

Ye fool no ones but yerselves

Well done donal

If he wasn't able for the job, he shouldn't have taken it. That's the bottom line, anything else is searching for excuses.

Shame to be hounding people but from the off I thought he was a joke candidate and when O'Grady appeared as his partner I couldn't believe it particularly after he shyte himself in 11 and walked.
    Things must move very quickly now to get a team firing properly for June 1st. A Tom Ryan /Bennis type who could command instant respect. Regretfully I couldn't see it happen with all Tom has said in the past the board would never entertain him. It was the fault of the players Bennis got the boot.
    Ciaran Carey or Kirby should get it now I think. TJ is going to have to say his goodbyes to the seniors for now and leave the stage today to maintain any integrity. If he doesn't I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to take the reigns seeing as we're so close to Championship. I rather see Carey in there instantly though as in tomorrow morning.

It's a bit of a mess but I can still see the lads stomping over any opposition this year if their attitude is right. Plenty of A v B games in training, plenty of them.

Shame to be hounding people but from the off I thought he was a joke candidate and when O'Grady appeared as his partner I couldn't believe it particularly after he shyte himself in 11 and walked.
    Things must move very quickly now to get a team firing properly for June 1st. A Tom Ryan /Bennis type who could command instant respect. Regretfully I couldn't see it happen with all Tom has said in the past the board would never entertain him. It was the fault of the players Bennis got the boot.
    Ciaran Carey or Kirby should get it now I think. TJ is going to have to say his goodbyes to the seniors for now and leave the stage today to maintain any integrity. If he doesn't I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to take the reigns seeing as we're so close to Championship. I rather see Carey in there instantly though as in tomorrow morning.

It's a bit of a mess but I can still see the lads stomping over any opposition this year if their attitude is right. Plenty of A v B games in training, plenty of them.

I never liked the look of that partnership. O Grady has proven himself to be a quitter after a disastrous league campaign. He has fooled no one, his reputation is in tatters. Well maybe he fooled 1 poster. ;)

TJ, what has he ever done to have even been considered ?

County board needs to go. They are a joke. No one should take the job whilst they are in charge.

Absoultey ,cork men ye need

Our record speaks itself

Your a wonderfually knowedable poster,you know this already yeah

That 3 u21 all irelands row,dave keane cork man

Fergal lyons cork man with ard scoil

Dave boylan with na piarsaigh cork man

Ned english ,drom broaford munster club title cork man

Do you want more please?

Jerry wallis rechanged yere whole u16 etc development squads to minor

Go ul sat morn,my dear good man and you see what cork man bring

You with respect shoot from the hip and havent got a clue real goings on in limerick

And yes ,as you say lets not panic limerick

We have luck against tipp,and wait we get lucky 3 m6re times

Ffs would you get real

Laois hurlers put two hard days im told ul the weekend.stayed overnight.

Trained gym then astro turf

Ger cunningham ul and pat flangan(kerry coach and waterford ,tipp u21footballers,

They yes laois had a video anaylist there also like they done all year

Do you think and there not even all ireland contenders they rely on luck

They dont believe such sh*t

They prepare well ,as fail to prepare,prepare to fail

I admire your happy go lucky fairtale view but that wont win limerick anything

That view be frowned upon in munster rubgy

Should be in gaa

Thats why yere gaa teams are poor relations senior

Theres a optimist,pessimist and a realist

Optisim you have is so far out of touch with reality in that limerick just need to click.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Haven't read much of the posts but here are my thoughts on the events.

9 weeks between Allen stepping down and the joint management being appointed. We know the County Board had reservations about TJ/DOG in tandem and if they allowed Ger Cunningham to pick his own staff he would be manager.
    When the management was proposed - not one question was asked from the floor. I would have had dozens of questions re the set up. The delegates had the chance to query the appointment but not for the first time they stayed quiet.
    Talking to players around the same time, they were wondering if they were going on a team holiday as a reward for winning Munster. That still hasn't been sorted out.

The warning signs were there in the Waterford Crystal, Clare were miles ahead in terms of skill, speed and strength.
    The last 50 minutes against Cork were probably the best of Limerick we'll see this year.
    The team lost its shape badly against Wexford & Galway in the second half of both matches.
    The short game broke down far too often even against Antrim.
    We've heard rumours of discontent in the camp most of which is true.
    DOG didn't seem motivated or interested in doing his job on the sideline.

The County Board also seem obnoxious and oblivious to how much work went into winning that Munster last year. Instead of rewarding the players & management (as pointed out above) and key personal members - Ger O'Connell and Joe Hannon; they instead rewarded themselves. I've heard that Morrissey, Mann and Riordan got commemorative watches for winning Munster.

Who do I like to see in charge? My first choice was Brian Ryan last winter but he was always going to stay as minor manager.
    I think he will be Limerick's manager next year. As for now, maybe Richie Bennis can come back ;) But I think Cregan would be the best option. Limerick need to go back to basics and if they can do that they build and reach a Quarter final.

Martin Kiely's column should be fun this week :pac:

• Advertisement

Absoultey ,cork men ye need

Our record speaks itself

Your a wonderfually knowedable poster,you know this already yeah

That 3 u21 all irelands row,dave keane cork man

Fergal lyons cork man with ard scoil

Dave boylan with na piarsaigh cork man

Ned english ,drom broaford munster club title cork man

Do you want more please?

Jerry wallis rechanged yere whole u16 etc development squads to minor

Go ul sat morn,my dear good man and you see what cork man bring

You with respect shoot from the hip and havent got a clue real goings on in limerick

And yes ,as you say lets not panic limerick

We have luck against tipp,and wait we get lucky 3 m6re times

Ffs would you get real

Laois hurlers put two hard days im told ul the weekend.stayed overnight.

Trained gym then astro turf

Ger cunningham ul and pat flangan(kerry coach and waterford ,tipp u21footballers,

They yes laois had a video anaylist there also like they done all year

Do you think and there not even all ireland contenders they rely on luck

They dont believe such sh*t

They prepare well ,as fail to prepare,prepare to fail

I admire your happy go lucky fairtale view but that wont win limerick anything

That view be frowned upon in munster rubgy

Should be in gaa

Thats why yere gaa teams are poor relations senior

Theres a optimist,pessimist and a realist

Optisim you have is so far out of touch with reality in that limerick just need to click.

Thanks mate. I wouldn't know anything if it wasn't for you.

Gary kirby ,it just gets better

Ul u ucc freshers,i there I posted match report

He was nearly beaten tactically

Carlow beat them in final

Done good point,but way of intercounty
    Go to match watch him

You are just way of.A v b training games.Limerick struggle to put 18 great players out so a v b is jack sh*tagainst poor panel players.How do you get real intenstiy

What tom ryan do??play limerick intermediates ,week in challenge before tipp

Then go paper,were flying in training hoping of the ground.

I look forward to your views post tipp match

A lot of realistic fans here know there beef.They wont agree your optisim

Go to match watch him

You are just way of.A v b training games.Limerick struggle to put 18 great players out so a v b is jack sh*tagainst poor panel players.How do you get real intenstiy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There's an emergency county board meeting tonight as far as I know.

This is primarily their fault, and pressure shoulld be put on them to resign tonight. But will that do any good? If the top table go, who replaces them? More of the same, I'd imagine. Are we ever going to have a county board without political motivations who can do what's best for Limerick GAA, both hurling and football. I'd say that's hard in any county, but particularly here where that kind of culture has gone on for so long. Still though, after fcuking up so badly, surely they have to go.

Realistically, this was a disaster of a league campaign. Donal O'Grady has previously been a great manager and TJ is Limerick through-and-through; but they fcuked up badly aswell. Not only was there a stark refusal to try certain players despite it being an almost desperate need, there was a real inability to change things/react on the sideline not to mention persisting with tactics that didn't work. I'm not talking about short passing, there is nothing wrong with that; but movement off the ball, runners off the shoulder, not handpassing when you're surrounded by 3 men..... basic stuff that just wasn't there.

You'd have to question O'Grady's motivation, we all know he's getting paid quite a bit, but did he really want to do it? And then getting into disputes with some of our top players..... it didn't happen in 2011 anyway. So yeah, I would wonder how motivated he was... and people are right, it's not 2003/2004 anymore.

I think Carey will end up in charge, he's the only one who will be offered the job that will take it. I'm not sure the time is right for him, but we're desperate at this stage. If he can convince maybe one top class coach to join him, maybe we can salvage something. Maybe.

No more fookin cork managers, it started with justin mccarthy :rolleyes: FFS, who gave him a job.

Bottom line is, county board are responsible for taking on people who are clearly out of their depth. They need to go as well. Get professionals in.

Go to match watch him

You're very flustered here thinkstoomuch1y. I'm very sorry that my views have you so disheveled. You're going to have to put me on ignore if this is the way I affect you.

Thanks mate. I wouldn't know anything if it wasn't for you.

Id certainly agree there

Only too glad to help mate

It doesn't matter where a manager is from, as long as they are both the right man for the job and willing to commit 100%.

Is Ciaran Carey the right man for the job? Maybe not... but who is at this stage? I would have loved to see the Limerick Ger Cunningham take the job, or the other Ger Cunningham. But the County Board fcuked that up too. If Jerry Wallis or Eamonn Cregan wanted it, I'd let them have it. But why would they?

At least we're not quite in the dire straits of 2010 yet, not much consolation, but there it is. The players are still united, the public are universally behind them, and the county board are the ones at fault.

Thinkstoomuch, enough with the big long posts. You are a fan of DOG, we get it. You are also fairly knowledgeable about hurling and I enjoy your posts. You have to accept though that some people will have a different opinion. I pointed out some fairly obvious failings of o'ogrady's management last time around when he was appointed. You could see a lot of the same this time around. People are split on whether he was right or wrong to walk. The county board were completely wrong, but O'Gradys reaction is petulant. He took his ball and went home like a little boy, and walked out on the players 6 weeks before championship.

In any event, I'm not convinced he's a loss. I don't expect us to do very well this year now, but then I didn't when he was there either.

No more fookin cork managers, it started with justin mccarthy :rolleyes: FFS, who gave him a job.

Bottom line is, county board are responsible for taking on people who are clearly out of their depth. They need to go as well. Get professionals in.

Should wallis walk away from yer minors

Brian ryan is managememt in name only

Cregan and wallis run that show

Anyone in limerick can confirm that

Wallis u16 beat clare saturday

There isnt a player underage limericl he isnt aware of

Brian ryan has no credentials role

People should watch limerick minors train

Cregan and walLace are the main men

Jerry is hooking,blocking,ball work etc

Cregan tactial side

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where a manager is from, as long as they are both the right man for the job and willing to commit 100%.

Is Ciaran Carey the right man for the job? Maybe not... but who is at this stage? I would have loved to see the Limerick Ger Cunningham take the job, or the other Ger Cunningham. But the County Board fcuked that up too. If Jerry Wallis or Eamonn Cregan wanted it, I'd let them have it. But why would they?

At least we're not quite in the dire straits of 2010 yet, not much consolation, but there it is. The players are still united, the public are universally behind them, and the county board are the ones at fault.

Leave TJ and the three selectors in place. Nothing will be gained by replacing them. Source a coach if they need to but Lyons and Beary can do that job, they have strong experience. It is what it is now, move on and do the best for the year. A large clear the air session and a lot of input from the players should be taken and then get on with it.

Long term, Ciarán is the man. I'd like him to get two years with the 21s first, and he might need a good coach a la Kinnerk beside Davy Fitz, but he would be a fantastic manager.

Should wallis walk away from yer minors

Brian ryan is managememt in name only

Cregan and wallis run that show

Anyone in limerick can confirm that

Wallis u16 beat clare saturday

There isnt a player underage limericl he isnt aware of

Brian ryan has no credentials role

People should watch limerick minors train

Cregan and walLace are the main men

Jerry is hooking,blocking,ball work etc

Cregan tactial side

Cork have fallen away massively. When did Cork even win a senior munster last? I can't remember cork minors doing much either. Cork isn't the place to be looking at imo.

Fact is we need to getting a manager from a county that is successful, there has to be someone in KK that's up to the job.

Leave TJ and the three selectors in place. Nothing will be gained by replacing them. Source a coach if they need to but Lyons and Beary can do that job, they have strong experience. It is what it is now, move on and do the best for the year. A large clear the air session and a lot of input from the players should be taken and then get on with it.

Long term, Ciarán is the man. I'd like him to get two years with the 21s first, and he might need a good coach a la Kinnerk beside Davy Fitz, but he would be a fantastic manager.

Can TJ really stay on though after releasing a joint statement with O'Grady. From what I gather, it looks like he's only staying on until a new manager is appointed. I'd agree with keeping some continuity, but they definitely need a coach of some sort, it's a pity they didn't get Kinnerk himself.

We'll find out tonight presumably.

Thinkstoomuch, enough with the big long posts. You are a fan of DOG, we get it. You are also fairly knowledgeable about hurling and I enjoy your posts. You have to accept though that some people will have a different opinion. I pointed out some fairly obvious failings of o'ogrady's management last time around when he was appointed. You could see a lot of the same this time around. People are split on whether he was right or wrong to walk. The county board were completely wrong, but O'Gradys reaction is petulant. He took his ball and went home like a little boy, and walked out on the players 6 weeks before championship.

In any event, I'm not convinced he's a loss. I don't expect us to do very well this year now, but then I didn't when he was there either.

Its not being a fan

I judge purely on hes skillset

What do u expect manager any backbone do when hes undermined

You walk

Cody would do the same
    He was on a hiding to nothing

He stayed and they beat tipp,board run leader and say we are the reason it happened we threw the guntlet down

They lost,then they have record boys admiued they wrong in league

You judge manager in a season

Why by same values you judge o grady you rduse judge allen shambloic display last year in league f4nal and semi final

Again munster was flawed

Two home wins ,ye cant say would beat cork 15

What game plan u want

Possesion game only way you beat clare

Tom ryan has a poor all ireland wi6ing record

Brian ryan has nothing at all

Carey is unknown

Tj isnt up to it

Leo o connor mayo ,doing well castretroy u15 hardly up to this level

Ger c wont leave laois

Shane fitzgibbon be yere best hope and ger is with adare I believe also

Again wont leave laois

Sheedy wont go near ye

Ger c cork wont touch it

Cusack wont

Yere in dire starits complete shambkes

Again cork like ye,politcs plays a part

Wallis,o grady proven men top level

My question is should in your viem wallis leave minors and how do you rate him ,as people fast enought to laud him yewin all ireland

So how do you rate wallis as coach ???

Cork won munstes 2006,irrel vant to this as again o grady and wallis proven

Walsh ,gerald mac two manager since cork,noboddy mentioned them.Dont dag argument of in tangent you cant answer? Asked

Jbm is manaper now ,nobody said he is limerick man

Cunninghan and cusack were ideal for ye

Even gerald mac or denis walsh wouldnt go to ye now

Cork coaches ,and ye particulary fan of allen,he won munster yere quick to point out .Ye change tack all of a sudden

Dave keane best u21 coach ye had 3 in a row still to be done ,and he was senior man and again board shafted him

Cork coaches in general done well

Yes justin shouldnt got job but ye have done great cork coaches

Ask any limerick parent,there univesal praise wallace

Every sat he training future limerick,the goes back to cork .Yore way of to say cork mangers ye dont want

If wallis left yere minors forget bout an all ireland

Some of the disrespect for cork he couldnt be blamed to walk away

Again cork like ye,politcs plays a part

Wallis,o grady proven men top level

My question is should in your viem wallis leave minors and how do you rate him ,as people fast enought to laud him yewin all ireland

So how do you rate wallis as coach ???

Cork won munstes 2006,irrel vant to this as again o grady and wallis proven

Walsh ,gerald mac two manager since cork,noboddy mentioned them.Dont dag argument of in tangent you cant answer? Asked

Jbm is manaper now ,nobody said he is limerick man

Cunninghan and cusack were ideal for ye

Even gerald mac or denis walsh wouldnt go to ye now

Cork coaches ,and ye particulary fan of allen,he won munster yere quick to point out .Ye change tack all of a sudden

Dave keane best u21 coach ye had 3 in a row still to be done ,and he was senior man and again board shafted him

Cork coaches in general done well

Yes justin shouldnt got job but ye have done great cork coaches

Ask any limerick parent,there univesal praise wallace

Every sat he training future limerick,the goes back to cork .Yore way of to say cork mangers ye dont want

If wallis left yere minors forget bout an all ireland

Some of the disrespect for cork he couldnt be blamed to walk away

Christ, I'd nearly have as a good a chance of understanding Chinese as this jumbled up stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

thinkstoomuch, just because a small minority of posters indicated a willingness to move away from Cork managers does not mean the county as a whole lacks respect for Cork, we haven't had a Limerick man in (sole) charge since 2008, some people are a bit tired of going to the same county over and over again; there's nothing personal meant by it so there really is no need to take offence to some comments and launch a repeated defence of all things Cork.

It irritates me to see you say things like "Some of the disrespect for cork he couldnt be blamed to walk away", that doesn't represent the opinion of people like myself who said he was right not to put up with the bullsh*t the Limerick county board threw his way recently. They bent over backwards trying to convince him to take the job and 5 months later they are using him as a pawn to massage their own idiotic ego's by washing dirty linen in public; throwing him into a pantomime.

There are plenty like myself who have never said a thing about Cork so I don't appreciate some of the generalisations you have made about my county in a bid to defend your county's honour. This isn't a Limerick V Cork thing; it's a Limerick thing.

Christ, I'd nearly have as a good a chance of understanding Chinese as this jumbled up stuff.

You always know when a poster is rattled ,attacks my style

Id make it easy How do you rate Jerry wallis as coach

Be nice to koow where you stand

You lauded john allen last year as best thing since slice pan then was fast to change tact

Be consistent at least

Hanalei wrote: »
    thinkstoomuch, just because a small minority of posters indicated a willingness to move away from Cork managers does not mean the county as a whole lacks respect for Cork, we haven't had a Limerick man in (sole) charge since 2008, some people are a bit tired of going to the same county over and over again; there's nothing personal meant by it so there really is no need to take offence to some comments and launch a repeated defence of all things Cork.

It irritates me to see you say things like "Some of the disrespect for cork he couldnt be blamed to walk away", that doesn't represent the opinion of people like myelf who said he was right not to put up with the bullsh*t the Limerick county board threw his way recently. They bent over backwards trying to convince him to take the job and 5 months later they are using him as a pawn to massage their own idiotic ego's by washing dirty linen in public; throwing him into a pantomime.

There are plenty like myself who have never said a thing about Cork so I don't appreciate some of the generalisations you have made about my county in a bid to defend your county's honour. This isn't a Limerick V Cork thing; it's a Limerick thing.
    Fair point ,

Certainly be unfair to post ye all as same

just unfair that some blame it as were sick cork managers

Nothing do us ,its board problem

Its fair point you make
    W

• Advertisement

You always know when a poster is rattled ,attacks my style

Id make it easy How do you rate Jerry wallis as coach

Be nice to koow where you stand

You lauded john allen last year as best thing since slice pan then was fast to change tact

Be consistent at least

I agree with the above poster, no one here is anti cork.

Fact is I'd like to see them win something.

I didn't really rate Allen, I thought keeping Dowling/Downes on the bench was headless stuff. But I'll give him credit - he won something.

The minors are doing well, I don't know enough about Wallis to answer your question, but I've no problem with the minor setup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement