Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

francozola wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a bust up, more a difference of opinion if you will.
    I would take it with a pinch of salt though (if it's true at all), surely someone like O'Grady and his man management should be able to resolves issues like this.

Yeah, what Brudair has achieved must be considered a success, gives the platform to build upon. Seems that comeback against Wexford was the key result in terms of staying up.

Yeah, bust up is too strong a phrase alright, just sort it out lads FFS.

As for all the dropped balls, errors etc, it suggests people are uncomfortable with the game plan to me, fellas are thinking about the next pass before the ball is in the hand etc. They need to work on skills and decision making and as fireball says running off the ball, its easy make a decision if your team mates make it obvious.

The only good thing is we are 2 months from the c'ship - we need every minute of that time to come up to speed. Club games need to be watched, if any of last years minors have kicked on then they have to be squad options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

F**K. I'm hearing of a high profile departure (you can probably guess who...) from the panel from a man I know who knows many of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That would be a disaster...

Ah FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

It would be text book Limerick if that is true.
    In fact this year has been text book Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Any truth in this? Doesn't seem to be anyone putting their head above the parapet and reporting these rumours yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

That's a good thing!

As i understand it

Richie hasnt left

One high profile player and one manager dont get along

Some disquiet over the short passing game.

But its more of a storm in a teacup

The players have to commit to gameplan 100% imo, rightly or wrong if you dont commit it wont work, we alluded to it after the game on sunday, all the dropped passes poor skills etc. Commit and work on the passing game and movement all over the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

As i understand it

Richie hasnt left

The players have to commit to gameplan 100% imo, rightly or wrong if you dont commit it wont work, we alluded to it after the game on sunday, all the dropped passes poor skills etc. Commit and work on the passing game and movement all over the park.

Do you think that Limerick will have mastered the short hand pass by the time they will play Tipp? It really did not succeed in gaining promotion from Div1B. Under John Allen the short hand pass was not an issue.

There's nothing wrong with short handpassing, in fact keeping possession is a very good tactic, nothing wrong with it. The whole short game revolves around that simple fact, holding the sliotar, opening up space and creating chances.

However, handpassing it to a player who's marked is not keeping possession. That's just stupid.

Sticking too rigidly to one style of play at a cost to your overall play is just brain-dead.

• Advertisement

As i understand it

Richie hasnt left

This is close to what I was told, I'll just add that the person I know was "let go" by Donal O'Grady when he took over at the end of 2010 and he's not the fondest of him as a result, so he may well have exaggerated just how much Richie Mc and Donal O'G don't get along.

But I'm hearing other things now from various sources in the last few days, most of it probably bullsh*t, but no smoke without fire as they say....

Your spot on re committing to the gameplan. Players need to buy in to it, otherwise we're in big trouble. And they don't have the appearance of a team that is buying into the gameplan so far to me. Luckily, 9 weeks is plenty of time for that to change, up to the players now.

If the management can't convince the players to buy into the game plan then that doesn't reflect well on them either. It's hard to tell whether O'Grady has moved on at all or is simply foisting the cork game plan of the early 2000s on every team (ie us) that he coaches. Is he capable of devising an original gameplan to suit players available like Davy in Clare.

We had a brilliant defence last year. What we needed was work on more return from the forwards. Instead we seem to have dismantled the defence and successful patterns of play from last year and ok we're missing a few players but the only improvement in the forwards is a few individual moments of brilliance of Downes and Mulcahy.

That semi final defeat to Clare is haunting me more than '94 and '96 ('94 was worse, but time has healed that one a little bit:o)

The team bottled it that day, we played quite poorly in the first half but had our free taker not had an absolute shocker in the first half we would probably have been in the lead at half time, even after playing so poorly. I'm still angry at John Allen and the team for not noticing that we were being destroyed by the Clare sweeper, they did nothing about it, kept aimlessly hitting ball up the field into space, Donnellan had a field day....

How different things could have been. I'll never get over that game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

If the management can't convince the players to buy into the game plan then that doesn't reflect well on them either. It's hard to tell whether O'Grady has moved on at all or is simply foisting the cork game plan of the early 2000s on every team (ie us) that he coaches. Is he capable of devising an original gameplan to suit players available like Davy in Clare.

We had a brilliant defence last year. What we needed was work on more return from the forwards. Instead we seem to have dismantled the defence and successful patterns of play from last year and ok we're missing a few players but the only improvement in the forwards is a few individual moments of brilliance of Downes and Mulcahy.

Agree with you here Glas, our defence was top notch last year. Especially in Munster. Barely any soft frees given away which made a huge difference. And turnover ball from defence was executed into scores or at least chances at our end.

I can't see O'Grady/Ryan changing their ways. The U21s tried the short game last year and it was a disaster as well. The track record of both was my big concern upon appointment. Ryan barely achieved anything in terms of coaching and O'Grady's gameplan was clearly not suited in 2011.

Here is what Ryan said after the U21s match
    LIMERICK U-21 hurling manager TJ Ryan was left bewildered by his side’s poor showing in the Munster championship.

As a former Limerick senior hurling captain and selector, TJ Ryan is used to the post match media duties.

But rarely has the Garryspillane man cast such a forlorn figure.

“I am bitterly disappointed - we came over here trying to go at these boys hammer and tongs from the word go. We were trying to get a good start but got the total opposite,” said the Limerick U-21 manager.

“I don’t have excuses, if I could throw something in the pot I would but I don’t have anything,” said Ryan, who is in his first year as U-21 boss.

“I thought we had everything done right but we didn’t hit the ground running - you don’t give Tipperary that kind of a lead and we were chasing the game all day. The scoreboard doesn’t lie,” he said with a shake of his head.

“I don’t have anything to pinpoint or to point at to say it was this or that - that kind of performance wasn’t good enough but unfortunately that is what we served up tonight,” he sighed.

“I would love another go at it but there isn’t one,” he said of the straight knockout format.

“You take the credit but you have also got to take the kick up the behind and that’s’ what tonight was,” he said.

“It defies belief,” he said of the opening 30-minutes.

He added: “We didn’t start at all and then it just got worse and worse - we were fighting for pride in the second half.”

“Were we too keyed up, I don’t know? We warmed up well, it just wasn’t to be. At half time we were in a hole but tried our best to make changes for the second half and I thought what changes we made did pretty well. You could probably make a small case at when we brought it back to five points and there was the penalty or was it a penalty - it looked like a penalty to me and then they go down the field and get the goal and it was game over at that stage,” he outlined.

“We didn’t play well enough - we were looking to our big players to take the game to Tipperary and really take them on. I thought coming into the game that everything had gone really well and according to plan. We played Kilkenny there a couple of weeks and I thought that went well,” he explained.

“We just weren’t at the races and there is no excuse for that - the only thing that I can say is that our players are not as bad as that.”

On another note, does anyone have a list of the minor panel due to play next week? Also watched our U21s take on Galway a few weeks ago in a challenge out in UL. Albeit the result went to Galway by a few points I was very impressed with Limerick's style of play - direct running, good use of possession and most importantly they seem set on creating goal chances and taking them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yere minors beat clare in a challenge match ,got 4 goals last week in the ul north campus by around 3 or 4 points

Ye beat westmeath minors/and u21 selection last sunday ,played in the gaelic grounds,and it gave the lads a run out there ,by around 11 points .
    Cian lynch is captain,ronan is vice captain this year.

Panel is 37.Serious competiton.Colin ryan,pallas is likely to play half forward with ballybrown goalie hedderman in goal .They won a all ireland c title just recently with Clare Senior hurler ryan coaching there school in pallas .

Its a serious strong limerick panel,as for example one ,great talent with Na Piarsaigh just missed out on it as far as im aware when the final cut was done to the panel.Thats how competive it is.Wouldnt be suprised if he was on it down the line.He made the football panel,the same lad.

Ye played Dublin ,and in the ul grass ptich beat wexford a few weeks ago scoring 5-12 around.
    Yere in great shape for Thursday.
    It will be interesting to see how it goes,a lot of expectation with this team.

Lost to Cavan today in the football, but matched them for long periods and brought in a lot of young players from the bench- Peter Nash, Keith Hartnett, Jamie Lee; as well as Garrett Noonana and Killian Phair. Phair scored 0-3 from the bench. Sean O'Dea and Colm Moran both started, and seemed to do well.

I think Brudair will be encouraged with that... we have things to work on still, but the amount of players who have been given gametime during the league, and impressed to some degree, is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Lost to Cavan today in the football, but matched them for long periods and brought in a lot of young players from the bench- Peter Nash, Keith Hartnett, Jamie Lee; as well as Garrett Noonana and Killian Phair. Phair scored 0-3 from the bench. Sean O'Dea and Colm Moran both started, and seemed to do well.

I think Brudair will be encouraged with that... we have things to work on still, but the amount of players who have been given gametime during the league, and impressed to some degree, is good.

Happy enough with the performance today, wouldn't worry too much about the result as we were already safe. Having said that there was no reason why we couldn't have won this one too. I would say we had 16-17 wides and 3 clear cut goal chances. Bruadair got a chance to give some fringe players a chance.
    Of those you mention, Killian Phair is the most likely player to make the starting 15 come championship time, simply because he can score.
    Would like to see Lavin make a comeback now. We can still be reasonably strong come the Tipp game which will be on in the G/Grounds.

washman3 wrote: »
    Happy enough with the performance today, wouldn't worry too much about the result as we were already safe. Having said that there was no reason why we couldn't have won this one too. I would say we had 16-17 wides and 3 clear cut goal chances. Bruadair got a chance to give some fringe players a chance.
    Of those you mention, Killian Phair is the most likely player to make the starting 15 come championship time, simply because he can score.
    Would like to see Lavin make a comeback now. We can still be reasonably strong come the Tipp game which will be on in the G/Grounds.

Do you know whether we're likely to see any of Eoghan O'Connor, Derry O'Connor or Bobby O'Brien for the Championship?? Lavin would obviously be a huge asset, although he'd have a bit of a fight on his hands for a starting place now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Do you know whether we're likely to see any of Eoghan O'Connor, Derry O'Connor or Bobby O'Brien for the Championship?? Lavin would obviously be a huge asset, although he'd have a bit of a fight on his hands for a starting place now!

Hearing the Eoghan is travelling for the year, so unlikely to see him. Derry should be back when Y/Munsters season finishes. 50/50 if BO'B will return.

washman3 wrote: »
    Hearing the Eoghan is travelling for the year, so unlikely to see him. Derry should be back when Y/Munsters season finishes. 50/50 if BO'B will return.

Eoghan will be a big loss, because he can score, which has long been Limerick's weakness. And Bobby O'Brien would be a huge asset in midfield to partner Galvin. I'd have him as better than Lee, Treacy or Hegarty tbh. But at least we have options now.

• Advertisement

As far as I can work out, we used a total off 34 players during the league; 28 different starters, and 28 who appeared in at least 2 games.

There were 4 players who started every game- Johnny Mac, Paudie Browne, Ian Ryan and Gerry Collins; while Boris Hanrahan also featured in every fixture- O'Sullivan, Razor, Corbett, Ranahan, John Riordan, Treacy, Buckley, Brosnan were also regulars.

Considering we wouldn't have seemed to have much depth, it's great to see that many players get a start and most of them do well, and lay down a marker for the Championship.

Also consider that we've recently lost Jim Donovan, Andy Lane, Stephen Kelly and possibly Stephen Lavin to retirement. Eoghan O'Connor and Bobby O'Brien who would be certain starters aren't with the squad at the moment, and neither is Derry O'Connor. Not to mention other players who have been with the squad in recent seasons- Damien Quaid, Cian Coady, Sean Sheehan, Eoin Joy, Eoghan Barry, Paul Kinnerk, Jamesie Kelly, Barry Fitzpatrick, (even Micheal Reidy)... the likes of Shane Gallagher & Cormac Joyce-Power. And then players who have chosen hurling such as Steve Walsh and James Ryan.

Not all of those are up to Championship standard, but some undoubtedly are... if even Hanrahan, Brosnan, Hegarty, Fitzgibbon, Phair, O'Dea and Neville were to be seen as real Championship options after this league, then that is a success.

Goalkeepers (2)
    Donal O'Sullivan 6; Brian Scanlon 1

Full-Back Line (5)
    Johnny McCarthy 7; Mark O'Riordan 4 (2); Colm Moran 2 (1); Lorcan O'Dwyer 2; Sean O'Dea 1

Half-Backs (7)
    Paudie Browne 7; Iain Corbett 6; Pa Ranahan 5 (1); John Riordan 4 (2); Mike Sheahan 2 (1); Stephen Lucey 2 (1) James O'Meara 1 (2)

Midfielders (4)
    Tom Lee 6; Darragh Treacy 4 (2); Gearoid Hegarty 3 (2); John Galvin 2 (2)

Half-Forwards (9)
    Eoin Hanrahan 6 (1); Seanie Buckley 6; Micheal Brosnan 5 (1); Mike Fitzgibbon 1 (3); Cian Sheehan 1 (1); Garrett Noonan 0 (2); Derry McCarthy 0 (1); Jamie Lee 0 (1), Peter Nash 0 (1)

Inside-Forwards (7)
    Ger Collins 7; Ian Ryan 7; Seamus O'Carroll 2 (3); John Mullane 2 (3); Danny Neville 2 (2); Killian Phair 0 (3); Keith Hartnett 0 (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The Limerick minor team to play tipp,7 that started last year,5 more on the panel,and Fanning would have but for taking a break and playing rubgy.A great talent.

Ten of that team aprox have played Harty cup with Doon,castletroy and Ard scoil.And theres the like Hedderman in the subs that won a All ireland title C with Pallas .
    Paddy Loughlin in the subs has played Harty cup with Chareville .
    Loughlin is some talent,only 16,captain an outstanding centre back in the Kinnane cup(Munster b competion u16) as well as harty , winning charville team ,and so good that he made the Harty cup team starting all the group games and quater final at corner back .

Flanagan starting has won a Limerick B hurling title with Diarmuid buckley cork with Hazlewood .If ye beat Tipp its a game v cork in june in the gaelic grounds in the semi.

If cork and limerick do meet its not just management in jerry wallis links to cork,its we have a cork lad playing with a limerick school ,and they have a limerick lad playing in a cork school ,and browne casey and o loughlin are teamates with charville cbs and then diarmuid buckley and Flanagan are teammates at hazlewood .
    It would be an enthralling and fasincating contest cork v limerick .

Ye have some half back line,cosgrave ,lynch(Munster minor 2013 player of the year),lyons and at half forward ,Barry nash(anthony cousin)cian lynch and Flanganan.
    There the team to beat and if form book goes to script Corks opponents the end of june .I wouldnt bar injury see much change in that team should they win.
    Limerick are the Leaders in Munster underage Hurling,today Kilmallock won a Munster u 15b title.

LIMERICK: Eoghan McNamara (Doon); Sean Finn (Bruff), Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen), Jamie Porter (Monaleen); Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen), Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock), Cian O’Brien (Mungret), Seamus Flanagan (Feoghanagh-Castlemahon), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell, Tom Morrissey (Ahane), Ed Doyle (Monaleen), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen). Subs: Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown), Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock), Shane O’Connell (Doon), Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsagh), Dylan Dawson (Blackrock), Cian O’Brien (Monaleen), Eoghan Costelloe (Adane), Conor Moroney (Tournafulla), Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun).

Tipp have 3 from last year starting.Tipp ran ye close beaten by two points in u 16 in 2012 in the all ireland semi.
    Liam cahill is coaching them.
    I have never seen a bad Tipp minor team.I think they will run ye close but you would have to fancy Limerick .

Will tune in if this is on the radio - represents our best shot at an all ireland

Will tune in if this is on the radio - represents our best shot at an all ireland

Doesn't look as strong a team as last year, even then you could be right. It's a while off yet but I'll be very interested to see how the 21s go. If Ciaran does a good job he has to be next in line for the senior job. Clare look unbeatable this year but there are a lot of players off last years minor team that will be at u21 for a couple years to build a good team.

Doesn't look as strong a team as last year, even then you could be right. It's a while off yet but I'll be very interested to see how the 21s go. If Ciaran does a good job he has to be next in line for the senior job. Clare look unbeatable this year but there are a lot of players off last years minor team that will be at u21 for a couple years to build a good team.

I don't know, this group of players have won stuff up all along, I would think they're the strongest group of players we've had in a while.

I know, on paper, it looks weaker; but remember not many expected much from last year's group against Tipp. It was only after that that the hype really started. Doon are the minor champions again, and we've lost most of that group- Coleman, Ryan, English, Donovan... and then you've got Dempsey, Casey and Butler gone too. But you have 12 of last year's panel starting- that's a serious half-back and half-forward line like. The likes of the Lynches, Nash, ALTC, Morrissey, Finn are all a year older, will be better and we've got plenty of good players coming in too.

Dylan Dawson and Shane O'Connell can only make the bench, have heard great things about them. Slightly surprised Tom Morrissey's younger brother, Paddy, isn't included- could be the best of them.

Monaleen are very strong at this level, and that's seen in their representation- Doyle, Lyons, Cosgrave, Porter; with O'Brien on the bench. It might take a game or two for them to find their strongest team for the Championship, it took them a while last year, so let's hope they can get over this first hurdle.

Can't forget that Tipp will be a big threat too, only beat them by 2 points when they met at U-16 level.

Definitely going to this, €5 for students/OAPs, €10 for adults, U-16s free.... throw-in at 7.

Not on radio - updates appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Tipp radio will have it and if you can listen to them.

And presumably some twitter account will have updates, I won't be able to sadly.

They're streaming coverage of the match on the 95fm website, if you have internet access at the time of the match.

I used the stream for the U-21 football and it was perfect.

• Advertisement

So far so good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement