Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Sam Jam wrote: »
    Awful negative stuff being said about our year being over. I disagree strongly.

O'Grady is all about himself and I was aware of this years ago and disliked him for it.

No harm has been done in reality. Players may feel offended a little but who knows they actually might be happy enough he's walked. All they have to do now is hurl to their ability and without a doubt in my mind if they do that they'll win the A I this year.
    this this a press release from the co. board, it takes more than this statement to win an all ireland, tactics are most important, training and conditioning come into the equation, enough said for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Rightwing wrote: »
    No more fookin cork managers, it started with justin mccarthy :rolleyes: FFS, who gave him a job.

Bottom line is, county board are for taking on people who are clearly out of their depth. They need to go as well. Get professionals in.

Run with the hare ,chase with the hound.You made a disgraceful comment re cork managers then said when won munster as that anything do with it

You clearly havent got a clue re limerick hurling,if you were geuine youd clearly know minors inside out.Typical, sit back and judge without knowing going ons

You know nothing re minors but you will be the first to judge wallace if they loose and blame it as a cork think.
    Any half knowledable gaa man knows work wallace puts in to the game and yed be poorer without him ,and wallis is central to yere minor evoloution,carring on great work u16 by joe quaid,another man shafted by yere board

To say o grady isnt a professional is more an inditement you than o grady .

TJ the Limerickman will have to roll up the sleeves now and show us he has a strong back to instill confidence and belief in the players.

Hopefully the team will unite now and become all the better for it.

OGrady's gone, big deal. Well able to do without him. Moving forward lads. Championship time around the corner.
    tj could not get garryspillane to play for him, you seem to expect an all ireland from him, my mind is boggling.

flutered wrote: »
    tj could not get garryspillane to play for him, you seem to expect an all ireland from him, my mind is boggling.

Kilworth won intermediate with him alright

Hardly all ireland material

U21 last year woeful

Id agree ,he is poor out he depth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Run with the hare ,chase with the hound.You made a disgraceful comment re cork managers then said when won munster as that anything do with it

You clearly havent got a clue re limerick hurling,if you were geuine youd clearly know minors inside out.Typical, sit back and judge without knowing going ons

You know nothing re minors but you will be the first to judge wallace if they loose and blame it as a cork think.
    Any half knowledable gaa man knows work wallace puts in to the game and yed be poorer without him ,and wallis is central to yere minor evoloution,carring on great work u16 by joe quaid,another man shafted by yere board

To say o grady isnt a professional is more an inditement you than o grady .

O Grady walked the plank, he was hoping it would break as he was walking.

Hopefully he'll stay retired and not waste anyone's time. A waste of space.

• Advertisement

A team can rise up and do it. Look at Clare last year sure. It's all about belief Sean. Davey had those young lads yes young lads they were only 21 year old on average brainwashed to their inner cores that they were going to win the A I. Their hurlers are no better than Limericks.

O'Grady gone so what?,,, This team can do it, I don't doubt that. They just got to get it into their heads.

do we have some one of the calibre of days in our senior set up, more importantly davy has some right hand man, we do not have a man of his calibre in either the snr, intermediate, or u21 setups, to say that clares hurlers are no better than limericks suggests some shortsightness.

You havent got a iota

do we have some one of the calibre of days in our senior set up, more importantly davy has some right hand man, we do not have a man of his calibre in either the snr, intermediate, or u21 setups, to say that clares hurlers are no better than limericks suggests some shortsightness.

Hes posts arent backed up by reality

Reminds me of a rubgy team,last play game

Down by 4
    Lack the reality,sublety and tactial nous to make a creative back line movement to score a try

So we kick a garryowen up the jumper hope the full back drops the ball ,and you run in under the post

9/10 that wont happen despite wishful thinking

Paul kinnerk wont go anywhere near limerick when clare miles ahead

Why would he

No more fookin cork managers, it started with justin mccarthy :rolleyes: FFS, who gave him a job.

Bottom line is, county board are responsible for taking on people who are clearly out of their depth. They need to go as well. Get professionals in.
    did not a number of limerick players travel to thurles to encourage mccarthy to come to limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sam Jam

Three of my posts you've quoted to me one after the other flutered. What exactly is the message you wish to convey to me?

• Advertisement

Hes posts arent backed up by reality

Reminds me of a rubgy team,last play game

Down by 4
    Lack the reality,sublety and tactial nous to make a creative back line movement to score a try

So we kick a garryowen up the jumper hope the full back drops the ball ,and you run in under the post

9/10 that wont happen despite wishful thinking

Why would he

i never suggested for a moment the davys right hand man would jump ship for limerick, what i posted was that limerick did not have a guy of his calibre in most of limericks set ups, back in the day i posted that davy should not have been allowed near the blllysimon roundabout on his way to waterford, i also posted during the players strike that tj was mooted to be the next limerick manager, lots of talk about it back then amoungst the strikeing players.

Three of my posts you've quoted to me one after the other flutered. What exactly is the message you wish to convey to me?

none to you, as per boards rules i was quoting the posts not the poster, i have a passing interest in limerick hurling, as back in the day i used to watch them train, for about four or five years, three night a week in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Regardless of what one feels about Donal O'Grady right now; to call him a waste of space is grossly unfair and I hope you retract that bit at least.

His achievements both as a player and a manager speak for themselves.

none to you, as per boards rules i was quoting the posts not the poster, i have a passing interest in limerick hurling, as back in the day i used to watch them train, for about four or five years, three night a week in fact.

Woah I better make sure I don't cross swords with you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Strong rumours circulating that the Limerick county board see David Moyes as the ideal candidate to be the new Limerick manager!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Strong rumours circulating that the Limerick county board see David Moyes as the ideal candidate to be the new Limerick manager!!
    :)

Well, he's not from Cork ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Its not being a fan

I judge purely on hes skillset

What do u expect manager any backbone do when hes undermined

You walk

Cody would do the same
    He was on a hiding to nothing

He stayed and they beat tipp,board run leader and say we are the reason it happened we threw the guntlet down

They lost,then they have record boys admiued they wrong in league

You judge manager in a season

Why by same values you judge o grady you rduse judge allen shambloic display last year in league f4nal and semi final

Again munster was flawed

Two home wins ,ye cant say would beat cork 15

What game plan u want

Possesion game only way you beat clare

Tom ryan has a poor all ireland wi6ing record

Brian ryan has nothing at all

Carey is unknown

Tj isnt up to it

Leo o connor mayo ,doing well castretroy u15 hardly up to this level

Ger c wont leave laois

Shane fitzgibbon be yere best hope and ger is with adare I believe also

Again wont leave laois

Sheedy wont go near ye

Ger c cork wont touch it

Cusack wont

Yere in dire starits complete shambkes
    On your list of coaches:
    Tom Ryan is an ape. Brian Ryan has a gifted panel and a good coach with him but has done some stupid things as a coach with them, he has no future as a senior manager. Leo O'Connor is a joke after how he finished with the 21s, and before then if you knew much about them. TJ not up to it on all available evidence. Carey is the future and has done well with all teams he was involved with, he should be the future senior manager but will need a top coach with him. The others are all maybes, it's not worthwhile talking about Cusack or sheedy, they aren't options.

You talk of a possession game needed to beat Clare. There's more than Clare out there. O'Gradys style of play is outdated. It has been since Kilkenny dismantled that great cork team. From what we've seen O'Grady has not moved on since then. Anyway, a manager needs to play a style to suit his players, like Kinnerk and Fitz did in Clare. Like Allen did in limerick to an extent.

Right now, there is no reason we need a new manager anyway. I presume the rest of the management are staying. They need to hold a big clear the air meeting with the players, take their views on board, and empower them to have an input into their own summer, and move on. If they do that they can maybe save something from the summer. I saw a few of the players out in the gym in UL this morning, the world hasn't ended.

Why would he
    Not now, of course. But every management/coach has a lifespan and he won't stay with Clare forever. He is from limerick and I would be very surprised if he never becomes involved with us in the future.

To be honest I had resigned myself to two years of TJ and O'Grady and was clinging to the hope of Carey taking over with someone like Kinnerk or Cunningham after that. Or another young coach, remember Kinnerk was plucked from obscurity to the Clare underage then senior set ups. The two Morans are gaining experience too and Niall has great work done with Ardscoil.

could not use one, as i am disabled, so you have no worries there, btw i have been here quite a while, i have had infactions bans etc so i have to be careful in what i print

Not now, of course. But every management/coach has a lifespan and he won't stay with Clare forever. He is from limerick and I would be very surprised if he never becomes involved with us in the future.

To be honest I had resigned myself to two years of TJ and O'Grady and was clinging to the hope of Carey taking over with someone like Kinnerk or Cunningham after that. Or another young coach, remember Kinnerk was plucked from obscurity to the Clare underage then senior set ups. The two Morans are gaining experience too and Niall has great work done with Ardscoil.
    you are quite correct, coaches have a hard and rocky road to travel, very few become sucessfull, to become sucessfull one needs to be to work hard, be lucky, and surround ones self with good help, look at the top soccer and rugby coaches, they have great assistants, old trafford changes theirs every two years, until this year, when ferguson came up with the brain fart of making senir players caches. but to me he had an agenda for this.why so the player did nor be come familiar with their methods, players cannot be left in a safe zone, they need to be pushed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd agree on that... there are lots of good hurling coaches and good hurling minds around the place, who mightn't be that well-known. It's just a matter of recognising their input and getting them involved at a higher level.

Obviously flutey I was joking.

Internet forum communication is fickle in my opinion. People you think you get on with online maybe the greatest as sholes in the world in real life and of course the reverse is true. I've also been banned probably a dozen times at this stage from Boards so you're not alone there.

You've almost 3 and a half K posts so I congratulate you heartily on keeping your powder dry since 2010.

Hopefully the LCB get their act together and try to consolidate some harmony going forward. Give the hurlers a passionate Limerickman with experience to manage them and I could see Limerick dominating hurling for a few years. They have the talent, they just need a driven and consistent manager who won't walk away or be driven out by maverick players or a shortsighted county board. I'd give it to Carey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

any team can win the all ireland espicaly if they can get on a good run and hit form at the right time, back in mid july last year half of county clare wanted davy fitz out of the clare job ASAP the other half like me were undecided two months later and he was a hero

i dont know the full story as to why o grady quit but i am sure yer famous county board had something to do with it no doubt i reckon they should be all lined up against a wall at this stage , all they seem to do is get in the way any time limerick make good progress

i was shocked when i heard the news because i saw tj and donal leave the gaelic grounds yesterday evening in great discussion neither man looked like they wanted out

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

O grady wont loose a wink sleep over it

I hope you are wrong here. If you're not it means O'Grady doesn't give a c**p about the Limerick players or supporters. It means he was just in this for the cash.

Obviously nobody knows the full details here but I hope O'Grady thinks more of the players than it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Lads can I ask 1 question. What has Ciaran Carey achieved in a management role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Cant believe people here questioning the integrity of O'Grady.

Here's the only fact anyone knows - the county secretary issued blatant falsehoods to the media regarding the management. That's it, there in lies the blame.

The following is opinion
    See the statement today, they say DO'G left in 2011 and they don't know why, really does anyone believe that.

See there treatment of Ger C this year, disgrace.

Those of ye involved in clubs make enquiries about the CB and certain individuals and im sure the feed back will be the same as I received, not good to say the least I cant write what some people said.

The county secretary is from the same club as the players who walked out of training Wednesday night. What did they know were told or maybe its coincidence.

You honestly think these guys play a straight game, get real. Imagine DO'G having to deal with these people day to day FFS and then being put in an untenable position.

I said this was doomed from the very start, and im only glad its come to an end now rather than some ignominious back door defeat. It was never going to work.

We move on and get someone else in and in all honesty if they are half way decent they will be better than the previous arrangement which was hamstrung from the start.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.....but with that county board what hope do we have really?

Smith614 wrote: »

Managed the 21s before, and the camogie team. Selector on the limerick team. More than TJ in other words. Anyone I've heard of that played under him loved him and every team he was involved with as manager were happy, well prepared, improved and performed well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Smith614 wrote: »

Had some success with Limerick camogie team in 2007, winning an All-Ireland B title. Took over the U-21 (mens) team in 2008, lost his only game v Tipperary although they did play well, a narrow defeat to a better panel of players.

I think he had a spell in charge of a Limerick senior club (don't remember which one) in 2008 or 2009 but it didn't work out. And he was a selector in 2011 under O'Grady before resigning from that role under Allen in 2012 citing unhappiness with the fitness training.

That's about it, my understanding is our esteemed county board would not be willing to hand him the top job.

any truth in the rumour that frank murphy is going to be traveling up from cork, for advice from the l.c.b.

• Advertisement

Paddy its a sad sad sad day for limerick and I feel for the likes of you geuinely.
    In fairness you said it in october this would happen.

If tipp beat ye maybee heads would roll and that wouldnt be bad like man united yesterday a win would hindered ye,a defeat and moyles had to go.

Glausbaun to blame o grady for 2006 cork defeat is just awful judgement ,in o grady left in 2004,, allen had two years to evolve tweak game plan bring new players ,he didnt.
    O grady devised that plan,learned hes misakes from 2003 and won.

Allen was lucky beat galway in 2005 couldnt beat kk.He lost that final left pat mul on fogarty get 1-3then brought on sherlock.
    O grady had no influence that team in 2006,hes running game got cork to 4 finals won two .Allen never evolved that game plan and it was predictable.

That loss last year and league final to dublin is purely down to your Hero Allen ,the great manager when the team needed him ,he wasnt there at half time.
    Yes players thanked him email ,for fun training.
    When o grady told one senior lad get fit or ship out ,he wasnt happy and a few didnt like o grady.
    _

Limerick lads some not all want to be moddle coddled and O grady wont do that .They want fun training,wrong buisnes.

Clare and kk ,hate training its so gruelling.It should be .
    Brian cocorcan was told by o grady he had change hold hurley.

Player of the year all star ,he didnt get in a huff.He took advice and he and cork won all ireland

Some limerick lads dont take advice and have no reputation as cococoran
    Limerick are down for a while
    As I said names mentioned arent up to it,leo,tom ryan ,brian ryan etc
    Gary kirby no way .
    Riche bennis great hurling man hasnt astute tactical nous

Carey ,any limerick team he has been with was a failure ,yes he had great success with the camoige.
    Hardly sufficent though .

If ye want two bolters joe quaid and shane fitzgibbon as ye wont go outside coach,and be frank wouldnt get top one now as many see it as a poisioned chalice .

There the best choice of a poor list ye have

O gradx wouldnt loose any slee,why should he.I wouldnt.Some team led revolt against him.He owes limerick nothing.Those lads got to prove themselves .

Jesus if thats true with Frank coming up,its some laugh .Unbelievable ,if true by what poster said.A man at the root of many strikes ,gives limerick advice .
    Hardly happen but then again nothing suprises me with either of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement