Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Like I suspected ,and said limerick wanted there own man

Tj likey to be confirmed as manager season in the morning ,jerome o connell said twitter

I knew it if true
    He didnt go with o grady wanted to stay.Wait now pr job,its good limerick ,and continuity I do it.
    Terrible,disgraceful loyalty to man who brought him in ist term

People must realise tj will see a two year term as board back him now and any failures they blame soley o grady than look within.

Now the fun starts ,long two years now.Best luck with tj .

This was a set up .Tj said board undermined him ,yet he stays.
    Jesus that man has real qualites you want in a manger .

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Thinkstoomuch, I didn't blame O'Grady for cork losing in 06, read the post. I said O'Grady's game plan was outdone and outdated then, and he has shown nothing since to suggest he has moved on and developed as the game has.

The limerick county board didn't set out to shaft DoG in order to get TJ in. That's just stupid. I'm not defending them, it's just nonsensical.

Also, you are showing serious ignorance if you are suggesting Quaid as a viable coach or manager. Take a step back and keep the posts short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Browney7 wrote: »
    Some good debate in here the past while. Good to have input from rebels and tipp men aswell.

Personally feel OGrady couldn't lose the last time he was in charge. The strike wasnt as clear cut as the cork one. Plenty in Limerick sided against the players so the lads would have been fired up to prove people wrong and if the team failed miserably OGrady wouldn't have been blamed. If we were competitive O'Grady would have made progress.

That said, OGrady takes no crap and laid down standards and markers that the players bought into and Allen built on this resulting in the first Munster in 17 years and in fairness to both we've been hurling at the end of July for the last 3 years.

I feel TJ blotted his copy book last year with the 21s. I suspect some of the lads on the senior team didn't have the heads right. I'm willing to give him a chance but to me its no way near a dream team. Also find the co manager thing odd. Perhaps O'Grady couldn't commit to every training session but that's doubtful in fairness.

Can't understand what the Cunningham story is though. Was he screwed over by the Limerick co board or what. Strange he resigned. Thought he was a fait accompli for the job. Maybe waiting for the dust to settle but why leave Cork for anything other than a top job.

No doubting O'Grady's pedigree but the jury's out on the arrangement for me

Posted back at the time it was announced. Thought it would last more than 6 months.

If any county can manage to do everything possible wrong its us. To think we beat Clare in thurles 2 years ago and now look at us. Between strikes, politics and general commmmitttteeeeee ar5eh0les in general we'll never win an all Ireland.

Hopefully the top table get a b0llicking by the delegates at next county board meeting but doubt that will happen either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

The limerick county board didn't set out to shaft DoG in order to get TJ in. That's just stupid. I'm not defending them, it's just nonsensical.

Its non sensical but that could make it highly likely as nothing is beyond the realms of possibility with our county board.

Joe quaid I wouldnt have but better than list people have here

O gradys plan was top notch,it never evolved.
    How is it nonense,wanted o grady ryamd apogise,both said no

O grady walked and a joint statement said with ryan they were undermined

Then ryan stays
    No coincendence ,just my opionion but he was set up

And tj get two year s now id say

He is main man in charge ,and no replacement for o grady

Jesus ye are a team most counties fear now

• Advertisement

Joe quaid I wouldnt have but better than list people have here

O gradys plan was top notch,it never evolved.
    How is it nonense,wanted o grady ryamd apogise,both said no

O grady walked and a joint statement said with ryan they were undermined

Then ryan stays
    No coincendence ,just my opionion but he was set up

And tj get two year s now id say

He is main man in charge ,and no replacement for o grady

Jesus ye are a team most counties fear now
    Quaid better than no one except maybe Tom Ryan and Justin McCarthy.

How can it be top notch if it has never evolved?? The game has moved on.

The board wanted O'Grady. For some reason they wanted him back after last time. They didn't do this to get TJ in on his own, that is ridiculous. Thick and all as they are I don't believe that.

The rest of the management staying put with no new additions according to twitter. IMO this is the only way to proceed anyway.

Quaid better than no one except maybe Tom Ryan and Justin McCarthy.

How can it be top notch if it has never evolved?? The game has moved on.

The board wanted O'Grady. For some reason they wanted him back after last time. They didn't do this to get TJ in on his own, that is ridiculous. Thick and all as they are I don't believe that.

Exactly the penney finally drops

Who was manager 2004-2006

Not o grady your hero was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Normally I take conspiracy theories with a large pinch of salt but I know TJ is a very well connected man within county board circles; and that there was a large element within the board who lobbied for TJ to take sole charge 6/7 months ago.

But there was an equally large element who were very much against that due to his lack of experience and due to the view that better candidates existed.

Liam Sheedy was the one that there was universal support for, he was approached, but he made it clear that if he manages again it will only be for Tipp.

So back to the drawing board; the pro TJ side continued to lobby for him, while the TJ-skeptics turned their attention to O'Grady. But O'Grady shot them down.

Next, Ger Cunningham. Things appeared to be going well, although there was an insistence from the county board that TJ be involved in the backroom team. This was a sticking point, the board wouldn't let Cunningham pick his own backroom team.

I'm a bit hazy on some of the exact details but the joint manager "masterplan" was ultimately a compromise between the pro-TJ and the TJ-skeptic sides. Those who wanted a Limerick man got their wish. Those who wanted a proven big name got their wish. Those who wanted TJ got their wish. It was a compromise but ultimately it was a cop out.

Like I said at the start of the post, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I know for a fact a lot; not quite a majority but a lot of people in Limerick county board circles have now got exactly what they originally wanted back in September/October...

Exactly the penney finally drops

Who was manager 2004-2006

Not o grady your hero was
    I mentioned already that we get it you're an O'Grady fan, you're coming across as very bitter about this.

You've missed the point. By 2006 O'Grady's gameplan was outdated. Yet in 2011 and 2014 he tries to implement the exact same gameplan. Allen showed he could at least adapt and develop play to suit the players available. Davy and Kinnerk developed their system to suit the Clare players available, so did JBM in cork. O'Grady hasn't shown that he can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I mentioned already that we get it you're an O'Grady fan, you're coming across as very bitter about this.

You've missed the point. By 2006 O'Grady's gameplan was outdated. Yet in 2011 and 2014 he tries to implement the exact same gameplan. Allen showed he could at least adapt and develop play to suit the players available. Davy and Kinnerk developed their system to suit the Clare players available, so did JBM in cork. O'Grady hasn't shown that he can do that.

It doesnt matter if DO'G was yesterdays man tactically. You have to acknowledge that he was put in an untenable position by the county board. They wanted him out and got their way. The notion that he was petulent as you put it is ridiculous.

Even if we are better off without DO'G that doesnt mean he has done anything wrong here and you should acknowledge that.

I wont miss the short game tbh, and we could get an upswing in the short term, however if last years u-21's are anything to go by, it'll be a short championship.

It doesnt matter if DO'G was yesterdays man tactically. You have to acknowledge that he was put in an untenable position by the county board. They wanted him out and got their way. The notion that he was petulent as you put it is ridiculous.

Even if we are better off without DO'G that doesnt mean he has done anything wrong here and you should acknowledge that.
    I disagree. The county board were completely wrong, but DOG walked out on the players 6 weeks before championship and IMO that is wrong. The players didn't even get the respectful gesture of being the first to know.

Dont compare allen and o grady like apples and oranges

Allen had no game plan ,you fail accept that against clare was brutally exposed

I told you that would happen

Sorry but hitting long direct balls down on half forward lime that had muscle and brawn then put subs on ten to go isnt a game plan

O grady had a possesion game ,clare had it but tweaked it

O grady was 6 months in

This is going to be comical to watch unfold

Limerick are going to be beaten by tipp and then ryan survives

You need to wake up you think tj is gone this year

Yes what I heard he will be allowed a coach next year but he has immunity imo,as whatever happens they blame o grady despite glaringly flaws in ryan as a manager

The story of limerick hurling always blame someone else rather than look within

They need to get honesy munster rubgy and mindset to build from

I hope cork get ye this year.no fear at all ye

Yere a beaten team before season starts

Tipp beat ye

Clare would annihlate ye
    Laois have a better management team and proven than ye ,cheddar plunkett,huring man with tactical genius of ger cunninghan and fitness coaching pat 3langan ex kerry,waterford ,tipp u21football manager

I would fear ye against most teams
    Players some not all havent covered themselves in glory

From a lad that supported ye,i have no sympathy for team or manager or board whentit goes wrong

I do geuinely feel for fans

As a cork man I identify a lot we yere situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

We were going nowhere under that regime. Couldn't even beat offaly FFS. Even Antrim did a number on them.

It's not fair to use terms such as he "walked out" on the players.

I hate to bring up the players, but a number of players didn't exactly give their all for O'Grady. I wish I could say more but I can't link to any articles to back up what I know so I'd rather not go there. But it's fair to say there was a degree of resistance to O'Grady's methods from some of the players.

And nobody is obliged to stay on the panel of backroom team no matter what. Any player, any coach, any manager has the right the walk away at any time if they so choose.

The county board basically libeled O'Grady and Ryan, and despite admitting privately to O'Grady that they made incorrect statements that they would publicly retract, the county board never retracted the statement.

Why on earth should O'Grady accept that? His actions are 100% understandable; nobody should be expected to put up with the likes of that.

The only villains here are the county board.

I disagree. The county board were completely wrong, but DOG walked out on the players 6 weeks before championship and IMO that is wrong. The players didn't even get the respectful gesture of being the first to know.

Respect is two ways

Some of the players didnt cover themselves glory

O grady dead right
    An email was sufficent for them,sure they used email with allen,so they should have no complaints

He also sent a text

He hardly was going to have meeting way it turned out

He owes limerick nothing

Huge pressure on the team now
    A lot of yere guys must walk the walk

Also; expect TJ to be the manager for 2015 regardless of what happens in 2014. Unless the clubs intervene in a manner like they did with Dave Keane, there are people in the CB who will make sure TJ gets all the time he needs.

TJ should be sacked, he's not up to it either. Although I do hope we abandon that headbanger short hand passing stuff now.

Rightwing wrote: »
    TJ should be sacked, he's not up to it either. Although I do hope we abandon that headbanger short hand passing stuff now.

Not gonna happen, he's too well connected, a smart man when it comes to politics. How do you think he got the U-21 job last year despite having no real experience or any real success as a coach? And how do you think he got the senior job despite doing an awful job with a good U-21 panel last year?

I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to TJ for the medium term future!

• Advertisement

Hanalei wrote: »
    Not gonna happen, he's too well connected, a smart man when it comes to politics. How do you think he got the U-21 job last year despite having no real experience or any real success as a coach? And how do you think he got the senior job despite doing an awful job with a good U-21 panel last year?

I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to TJ for the medium term future!

I agree.

But the pro O Grady folk have to admit we were going nowhere. If you can't beat Offaly forget it. The season was a write off and still is.

Hanalei wrote: »
    It's not fair to use terms such as he "walked out" on the players.

I hate to bring up the players, but a number of players didn't exactly give their all for O'Grady. I wish I could say more but I can't link to any articles to back up what I know so I'd rather not go there. But it's fair to say there was a degree of resistance to O'Grady's methods from some of the players.

And nobody is obliged to stay on the panel of backroom team no matter what. Any player, any coach, any manager has the right the walk away at any time if they so choose.

The county board basically libeled O'Grady and Ryan, and despite admitting privately to O'Grady that they made incorrect statements that they would publicly retract, the county board never retracted the statement.

Why on earth should O'Grady accept that? His actions are 100% understandable; nobody should be expected to put up with the likes of that.

The only villains here are the county board.

100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Were are you getting this from that the players weren't let know first?

Haneli you speak so much sense

I knew that ryan was going to stay as said it post few days ,if he goes,as I could see ,he didnt go with o grady he was likely to stay on.
    Just had to be confirmed.

Wait for the Pr game to start now.

Just my opinion,i could be wrong but it Could be something like this Tj will say now to the media

I had put two much work in lads lad really sacrficed so much,two wrongs wont make a right in limerick so look at end day ,i want best limerick I had to stay as it is just 6 wks to go.i slept on it,couldnt walk away and got reasuarance from the board also

We had a lot honesty ,we put it out there,both sides could handled it better (they rarely say there wrong)we got to learn ,we are where are ,but I know limerick will be up there in august hurling,we have fantastic bunch lads here ,the best in the country

Great time for donal ,but I dont want go in to that ,he has he views and hes own man wish him well
    Clean slate now .I will put every part of me in to limerick and will leave no stone unturned .My immediate focus is cork saturday.
    All my intention on that game.Its important we move on.I given so much as a player to limerick I want to channel that energy in to mananagement.
    He is the Hero then

I could be wrong but that is just my opioion I expect a line similar to that to be said in media

I have seen it so many times in cork other places after strikes its like a pre ordiained script Dont worry ,all right noises be made now

Ryan defo like I said is here to stay 2015.He is immune from criticism till 2015.
    Two years wasted if ye loose.
    Ye are so far of an all ireland its sad
    The days outside manager are gone

What should happened was a clear out,tj had any loyalty or principle to o grady he would walked

Get interim lad in ,Niall moran and cregan possibly

And wait ,and if daly likey to leave dublin win nr loose goes ,get that man in to manage ye .POssibly he may want to stay clear limerick

He wants to go closer to home
    A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

why did TJ stay put? The board basically slammed the team's performance so far - is he ok with being publically humiliated like that?

Are the board ok with continuing with a guy when the performances far, partly under his stewardship, have been so underwhelming?

as inept as each other methinks but nobody else will have anything to do with either party

new board and management team please

donfers wrote: »
    why did TJ stay put? The board basically slammed the team's performance so far - is he ok with being publically humiliated like that?

Are the board ok with continuing with a guy when the performances far, partly under his stewardship, have been so underwhelming?

as inept as each other methinks but nobody else will have anything to do with either party

I agree, the whole thing is a shambles. No one there has any credibility.

donfers wrote: »

Thats valid points ,and thats why it doesnt add up

My opinion ,they wanted o grady to go
    Saw opportuinty after galway and played of the fan8

They felt the "venom"they said in gaelic grounds and had ask ?

If they so worried re fans then wouldnt had the Ger c,or tom ryan fiasco

A lot of running with the hare,and chasing with the hound it seems

Dont compare allen and o grady like apples and oranges

Allen had no game plan ,you fail accept that against clare was brutally exposed

I told you that would happen

Sorry but hitting long direct balls down on half forward lime that had muscle and brawn then put subs on ten to go isnt a game plan

O grady had a possesion game ,clare had it but tweaked it

O grady was 6 months in

This is going to be comical to watch unfold

Limerick are going to be beaten by tipp and then ryan survives

You need to wake up you think tj is gone this year

Yes what I heard he will be allowed a coach next year but he has immunity imo,as whatever happens they blame o grady despite glaringly flaws in ryan as a manager

The story of limerick hurling always blame someone else rather than look within

They need to get honesy munster rubgy and mindset to build from

I hope cork get ye this year.no fear at all ye

Yere a beaten team before season starts

Tipp beat ye

Clare would annihlate ye
    Laois have a better management team and proven than ye ,cheddar plunkett,huring man with tactical genius of ger cunninghan and fitness coaching pat 3langan ex kerry,waterford ,tipp u21football manager

I would fear ye against most teams
    Players some not all havent covered themselves in glory

From a lad that supported ye,i have no sympathy for team or manager or board whentit goes wrong

I do geuinely feel for fans

As a cork man I identify a lot we yere situation

I've said a few times I like your posts and you generally have a good insight and knowledge but I'm losing a lot of respect for you here.

"This is going to be comical to watch unfold" does not sit well "I do genuinely feel for fans". You completely undermine yourself and that type of triumphalist comment is annoying.

You make big criticisms of Allen but are completely wrong about lack of gameplan. 4 missed frees and a poxy goal were the difference between the teams that day and while Clare beat us tactically (as they did cork and Galway too) you can't legislate for a free taker having a meltdown and losing one of your most important players early in the game.

I have little doubt tipp will beat us and of course no team will fear us. This is obvious so making these stupid triumphalist comments just smacks of bitterness.

You have a strong devotion to O'Grady, that much is clear. You stated your view as nauseum. Can you stop repeating the same thing over and over again now please.

I've said a few times I like your posts and you generally have a good insight and knowledge but I'm losing a lot of respect for you here.

"This is going to be comical to watch unfold" does not sit well "I do genuinely feel for fans". You completely undermine yourself and that type of triumphalist comment is annoying.

You make big criticisms of Allen but are completely wrong about lack of gameplan. 4 missed frees and a poxy goal were the difference between the teams that day and while Clare beat us tactically (as they did cork and Galway
    too) you can't legislate for a free taker having a meltdown and losing one of your most important players early in the game.

I have little doubt tipp will beat us and of course no team will fear us. This is obvious so making these stupid triumphalist comments just smacks of bitterness.

You have a strong devotion to O'Grady, that much is clear. You stated your view as nauseum. Can you stop repeating the same thing over and over again now please.

Lads you dont like my views fair point,dont read them or try like you have several times tried to shut me up

Its a forum and im entiled my opinion

You said that yesterday just you cant back up any point re allen etc and o grady you resort to that

I am purley giving an opimion and unlike you that aust has views,i have as my record here provf contriubue so much with minor,u21 ,challenges u16 ,etc

I constantly done previews harty cup and give info re yere players

Whatever my view buddy I thinked I earned the respect of the geuine fans here so please dont try and shut me up

Debate the point ,you cant then ignore posts

I always helpful to this thread.I posted challenge matc as soon as I knew to help ye

Your arguments are cleary incorrect as even limerick lads have take you up on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Were are you getting this from that the players weren't let know first?

Email was sent to the players at 10.40pm apparently, with the county chairman told at 10pm via voicemail. How come the Irish Examiner had the story on their facebook page 20 minutes after the email, with the front page of their sports section already and the article written and ready to go? How many of those players would be reading an email at 10.40 at night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement