Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

francozola wrote: »
    Galway will have all of their Portumna contingent back next weekend. It's a toss for home field advantage, it will take place in the morning, according to the Laois manager. I would give us no chance to win next weekend if it's up in Galway.

That's what I understood but Liam Aherne kept saying it will be up in Galway, he's probably wrong.

Home venue crucial.

Rightwing wrote: »
    The games involving LK/Galway. Tipp/Cork and Clare laois will have a toss of a coin tomorrow to decide who gets home.

Shame as we only had 2 homes, but same as Galway. It shows the league is flawed, all the home teams are winning their games and getting an obvious advantage.

Poor display today v Laois, that wouldn't trouble any serious team.

They should have left the league alone, the 2012-2013 format worked a treat, but the changes made for this year are nonsense.

1st in Division 1 playing 4th in Division 2..... Can't really see either Clare or Laois benefiting much from that game, could be a cricket score. Hopefully not.

Top 4 teams qualifying from 6 team groups? Nonsense.

And not that it will happen, but a system that allows for the possibility of Limerick, Wexford or Laois to win the league yet still remain in the second tier next season is deeply flawed to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

At work, listening to sports bulletin on a Today FM, who claim Laois won by 1-15 to 0-17. "Laois play Galway in the quarters".

Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Hanalei wrote: »
    They should have left the league alone, the 2012-2013 format worked a treat, but the changes made for this year are nonsense.

1st in Division 1 playing 4th in Division 2..... Can't really see either Clare or Laois benefiting much from that game, could be a cricket score. Hopefully not.

And not that it will happen, but a system that allows for the possibility of Limerick, Wexford or Laois to win the league yet still remain in the second tier next season is deeply flawed to say the least.

Absolutely.

On a different issue, O Grady needs to drop the short puckouts. If it failed v Laois, it's going to fail against anyone. Hopefully that penny will drop.

Absolutely.

On a different issue, O Grady needs to drop the short puckouts. If it failed v Laois, it's going to fail against anyone. Hopefully that penny will drop.

100% agree. Drop the short handpassing while he's at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Hanalei wrote: »

It's a flawed system indeed. As you say we can win the Division 1 title but I presume Waterford & Dublin will be feeling aggrieved tonight as they are in relegation whereas, we're in a QF with a chance of winning the title because we have played what most consider weaker competition.
    When they were restructuring the league they should have put all 12 teams in a pot and drew 2 groups. It's not a fair tournament regardless of what pundits say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

grenache wrote: »
    At work, listening to sports bulletin on a Today FM, who claim Laois won by 1-15 to 0-17. "Laois play Galway in the quarters".

Muppets.

They did it again at 5! Where are they getting their information?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Paul Browne is some man... I didn't get to hear most of the 2nd half, but is that going to be the wake-up call we needed?? Bit of a disaster. Not unexpected though, Laois are a good side, sounds like we underrated them. Did enough to pull through in the end, but we're very very far from where we need to be.

There's nothing wrong with short puckouts themselves... sometimes they are good to hold possession. We did it last year at times, balls to O'Mahony or Paudie on the wings and they are our two best distributors. The real problem is that we can't go long as we've got no ballwinners in the half-forward line. But persisting with short puckouts when the opposition know what's coming and are closing us down high up the pitch. That's madness. Mix it up a bit, use your brains.

Short hand-passing... again, there's nothing wrong with it in itself. Last year against Clare, it's what we needed to do to break down their sweeper system as we were just raining long balls down on top of Donnellan and O'Connor. But that day, only Paul Browne seemed to realise that, and again, only Browne seems to have adapted to the system this year.

Have to adapt. O'Grady and Ryan need to realise this. If we play the same style and can't adapt, we will be beaten easily when we meet a good team in the Championship. I still insist that our players aren't that far off the best in the country, but that's absolutely no use if you can't get them playing in the right style- look at Tipperary last year if you want proof of that.

francozola wrote: »
    Galway will have all of their Portumna contingent back next weekend. It's a toss for home field advantage, it will take place in the morning, according to the Laois manager. I would give us no chance to win next weekend if it's up in Galway.

Would rather play them away with the Portumna contingent. Either we step up and perform, or we get beaten. I really don't think Galway are great at all and are quite beatable... but that won't matter if we play like we did in the last 2 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Why are Wexford getting home advantage by default?

• Advertisement

relaxed wrote: »
    Why are Wexford getting home advantage by default?

Only played 2 home games, KK played 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Because they only had two homes games up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Limerick are going backwards! They do not have "the killer instinct" to put away weaker teams. Their goal scoring is very, very poor. Let's see how Clare will cope with Laois!

cnoc wrote: »
    Limerick are going backwards! They do not have "the killer instinct" to put away weaker teams. Their goal scoring is very, very poor. Let's see how Clare will cope with Laois!

Laois are having a decent year in fairness, neither Cork nor Limerick had it easy against them, and they had a good win over Offaly. They definitely won't beat Clare but they have made good improvements and won't be getting hidings off anyone like they were getting a few years back.

Don't think Limerick have gone backwards, hard to know just yet, league really has been a mixed bag, the real test will come next weekend so I'm holding off from making any solid conclusions until we have played Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Lads a big problem for limerick from what I see, is take them out of the gaelic grounds and their performances suffer big time. Need to sort this mental issue out before they can really progress. Have the hurlers otherwise

Our minors are playing Tipp on Thursday, 10th April in the Gaelic Grounds at 7.30pm. I'm almost looking forward to that ahead of the league quarter-final (which I thought I'd be really excited for), because we might actually see good hurling, and we have a serious minor team this year- they've been national champions up through the grades.

I think the seniors probably will improve at some point during the year, I just worry that it'll be too late. Surely he has to give Dempsey or King a run at corner-back from the start next week, Laois cut us open by direct running a few problems, I'm still not convinced by Wayne at centre-back against pacy runners. Still no ball-winners in the half-forward line and the ball going into the inside men is too slow. If we're playing the short passing game, the movement has to be top class, and it's obviously not at the moment.

Murphy
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Hickey Gavin
    Paudie Browne Dodge
    Hannon
    Ryan Downes
    Dowling Mulcahy

That's my new favoured line-up for the Championship, apparently Quaid had a shocker today, and while I wouldn't want to "punish" him for one below-par performance, I do think that Murphy is an excellent keeper aswell and if the short puckouts aren't an option, he does have a lot more range.

And since we seem to be going for the 3rd midfielder a lot, I'd rather we just lined out with a midfielder rather than a forward dropping back. Keep Mul and Dowling close to goal, as good as they are out the field.

Have Ryan and Downes as the ball-winners, with Hannon sweeping around them. Give Hannon a completely free role around the half-forward line, let him pick up the space, because he has the ability to cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Murphy
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Hickey Gavin
    Paudie Browne Dodge
    Hannon
    Ryan Downes
    Dowling Mulcahy

That's my new favoured line-up for the Championship, apparently Quaid had a shocker today, and while I wouldn't want to "punish" him for one below-par performance, I do think that Murphy is an excellent keeper aswell and if the short puckouts aren't an option, he does have a lot more range.

And since we seem to be going for the 3rd midfielder a lot, I'd rather we just lined out with a midfielder rather than a forward dropping back. Keep Mul and Dowling close to goal, as good as they are out the field.

Have Ryan and Downes as the ball-winners, with Hannon sweeping around them. Give Hannon a completely free role around the half-forward line, let him pick up the space, because he has the ability to cause damage.

Yeah , team not much found from last year and would concur with fireball that the team is lacking in a few vital areas. Having said that they are still unbeaten despite having a few away games. Galway is probably the ideal game for them. It is always difficult to win at Salthill and Limerick need to win to keep pace for the championship. Will be interesting to see the team picked for Galway match but it needs to have Dowling and probably Hannon back on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Interesting team Fireball, looks pretty good.

I know we often don't go well in the league but the way in which we seem to be regressing, the overuse of the short pass and above all the team selections are really not looking good. I'm not against short passing, almost every team use it now to some degree and we did ourselves last year, but what we seem to be doing is short passing for the sake of it rather than intelligent use of the ball to a man in space like Dublin, cork and especially Clare are doing, and like we were doing last year. The selections seem bizarre too. Last year we didn't go well either until the challenge game against kk but the team selections and patterns of play are what not looking good for now.

sean mac wrote: »
    Lads a big problem for limerick from what I see, is take them out of the gaelic grounds and their performances suffer big time. Need to sort this mental issue out before they can really progress. Have the hurlers otherwise

That's not unique. Only 1 team won an away game in Div 1a - clare away to Tipp.

We can assume if we had offaly at home, we'd be promoted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Is the game fixed for galway?

The 3rd midfielder is a good option for me, firstly we have the personnel, with hickey and tomas ryan along with the incumbents

2nd against cork when mul got sent off, tobin came out and effectively only left one inside and it still worked.

I think a FF line of Dowling/mulcahy can win plenty of ball

Agree that short passing per se isnt a bad thing, doing it for the sake of doing it is a bad thing, but players and fans need to adapt, its not ok to blame short passing for all our woes, when your in the army you've got to march and if this is what the gameplan is we have to adapt.

Dempsey has to get a game next week.

Is the game fixed for galway?

The 3rd midfielder is a good option for me, firstly we have the personnel, with hickey and tomas ryan along with the incumbents

2nd against cork when mul got sent off, tobin came out and effectively only left one inside and it still worked.

I think a FF line of Dowling/mulcahy can win plenty of ball

Agree that short passing per se isnt a bad thing, doing it for the sake of doing it is a bad thing, but players and fans need to adapt, its not ok to blame short passing for all our woes, when your in the army you've got to march and if this is what the gameplan is we have to adapt.

Dempsey has to get a game next week.

Fixed for Galway if they win the toin coss, otherwise will be in GG.

Toin coss is in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Galway game in gaelic grounds 3.30

Galway game in gaelic grounds 3.30

Good, we have a chance so!

Who else got homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Tipp v cork
    Limesick v galway
    Wexford v cats
    Laois v clare
    Waterford v dubs relega

Semi final is limerick,ye beat galway v cats beat wexford ist half if they want to

Cork or tipp v clare semi

Tipp v cork
    Limesick v galway
    Wexford v cats
    Laois v clare
    Waterford v dubs relega

Semi final is limerick,ye beat galway v cats beat wexford ist half if they want to

Cork or tipp v clare semi

I'd go for Tipp, kk, clare and prob Galway.
    KK v Clare final

Waterford prob to edge the relegation.

All the teams that needed home adv got it. Some interesting ties. Presumably 2 will be televised with the football on saturday predominately?

All the teams that needed home adv got it. Some interesting ties. Presumably 2 will be televised with the football on saturday predominately?

I'd agree with that apart from maybe Tipp.

I'll go to the GG anyway, havent seen Galway in a while.

I'd agree with that apart from maybe Tipp.

I'll go to the GG anyway, havent seen Galway in a while.

Exiled in cork, the mountain will have to come to Mohammed (till the C'ship starts at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Obviously would have been good to get out of 1b but 1b is good if you're trying to have a look at a lot of players. If you were to throw in ten new fellas against Kilkenny or Clare it could do more harm than good.

I'm not convinced by us this year and fear we could do very little. We always seem to struggle to put two years together back to back.

I reckon the Galway game will be a good test to see where we're at but I'd rank us streets behind Clare and KK at the moment. Tipp game is starting to look vital. We don't want to risk early qualifier games against Galway, Waterford or Cork. Our record in Tom Semple's field is worrying though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement