Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia, Homosexuality and Men

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd see someone "being camp", and "acting the eejit" been in the same group: some you'll ignore, others you won't mind. And then there are those who you question if they're a straight person acting the eejit, or a camp homosexual?
    Most straight guys have at some point fancied a girl but let on they were just friends. Most straight guys would ride their female friends if a no strings attached scenario came up. They assume a gay male friend would think the same about them. I'm not gay but if I had to bet I'd say they're probably right a fair amount of the time.
    LoLz. Was in the Sugar Club attending the Rocky Horror Show, and was talking to some dude about the talent. Somewhere along the conversation the fact that he was bi came up, quickly followed by the "don't worry, I'm not trying to chat you up" line. :pac:
    Boston wrote: »
    One of the lads remarked that he'd never met a non-camp gay guy at which point I leaned in, showed him a photo of me and my partner.
    Btw, I'm not gay.
    Uh-huh. You do confuse us at times, though, in the way you phrase things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

*sees boulder has come to rest on a ledge, decides to kick it to start it rolling again*

Let me see if I understand this thread.

Straight guys are saying they dislike when Gay men are:

1. Loud
    2. Shrill
    3. Camp
    4. Outrageous
    5. Queens

In return they are being accused of being:

1. Morons
    2. Retards
    3. Idiots
    4. Homophobes
    5. Ignorant
    6. Bigots

Is that about the length and breath of it? A lot of assumptions and generalizations are being made. I wonder who, from above, is getting the raw end of the stick :rolleyes:

Seems to me also that a few posters in here are quick to jump on others for assuming someone is Homosexual, but they don't seem to care when it is assumed someone is Straight (which has happened) Everyone loves double standards :pac:

I also find it delicious the amount of bile filled vitriol coming out of Boston who, on the first page, took such umbrage with someone having the audacity to say they hated something. Tastes. So. Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

I cant say I know many gay people, each to their own but I say I would find myself uncomfortable should I find out one of my male friends was gay. Its not homophobia as such, I wouldnt want harm to come to him but at the same time I would find it hard to treat him the same way as I did before, I guess my main reason for this is because I do think homosexuality is unnatural. On the flip side female homosexuality is rather appealing however if I were a women I do believe I would be of the same feeling as to gay male persons. I wonder do staright females find two gay males attrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

1. Loud
    2. Shrill

Attack the post and not the poster else face the wrath of my vitrolic BanHammer.

"Straight guys are saying they dislike when Gay men are: " .
    No no no.
    Some people are saying they... Don't rope me in with the rest of ye.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Some people are saying they... Don't rope me in with the rest of ye.

Did you really imagine I meant all Straight People everywhere? Anyway, you are excused from this group. BTW, I'm Straight and I wouldn't personally have an issue with Queens either. I find personality traits that have an almost memetic spread to be fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

*sees boulder has come to rest on a ledge, decides to kick it to start it rolling again*

Let me see if I understand this thread.

1. Loud
    2. Shrill
    3. Camp
    4. Outrageous
    5. Queens

Wrong.

How about?

Most people are saying they dislike when anyone (regardless of sexuality/race/religion etc) is:

1. Loud
    2. Shrill
    3. Camp
    4. Outrageous
    5. Queens

Last month I was sitting in a reception room with several other people quietly waiting to be interviewed for a job.
    A person's phone rang, she started roaring into the phone & laughing & generally annoyed the **** out of every single person in the room. Everybody was looking at each other as if to say WTF?
    I felt very angry because it was just plain ignorant. A total lack of consideration for others.
    Didn't ask her if she was gay or what religion she was to find out if it was ok for me to be annoyed at her.

Bad manners just piss me off regardless of who the person is.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

fartmaster wrote: »
    I cant say I know many gay people, each to their own but I say I would find myself uncomfortable should I find out one of my male friends was gay. Its not homophobia as such, I wouldnt want harm to come to him but at the same time I would find it hard to treat him the same way as I did before, I guess my main reason for this is because I do think homosexuality is unnatural. On the flip side female homosexuality is rather appealing however if I were a women I do believe I would be of the same feeling as to gay male persons. I wonder do staright females find two gay males attrative?

Some straight females find gay male sex attractive, some don't. Not all straight males find gay female sex attractive.

Why do you think homosexuality is unnatural? It occurs in the animal kingdom all the time. It's been happening pretty much as far back in human culture as you can go (as far as I know). It's good to know you wouldn't want any harm to come to your friend though. I'd love to know why you think it's unnatural though.

Personally if I ever had a son I wouldn't be presuming he was going to be straight so I'd be no more suprised if he was gay/straight/transgender/whatever... I'd be happy for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sexuality isn't a binary system. Sexuality is actually a spectrum with each individual at their own place along it. If you imagine a scale from 1 to 6 with one being exclusively heterosexual and 6 being exclusively homosexual, then I'd probably be a 4 at this point in time. Most people fall into the middle somewhere few are at the extremes. Thats not me saying it, it's backed up by in-depth research.
    Most of the studies Ive read on the subject found men tended to be at one end or the other. The middle ground wasnt particularly weighted at all. The research and others like it that iptba referenced that seemed to show women were more "in the middle". I could see how if both genders were merged then it would show a more middle bias. As an interesting aside it also showed that women were more visually sexual than men than the prevailing notion has it. They just didnt report it(or maybe conscious of it). Indeed in one study women were aroused by bonobo chimps sexual behaviour. Like iptba's link says, men were aroused by their preference and that tended to be gay or straight. If men were more in the middle in general then you would expect them to be more like the womens results.

Additionally, sexuality isn't just about who you have sex with.
    I would say for bi people that's true. For gay or straight men who they want to have sex with is their sexuality. Of the gay guys Ive known even the thoughts of being with a woman are in the eeuuuugh zone. Pretty much identical to the take of straight guys if thinking about being with men. Then again that could well be down to me only knowing men at either end of the scale you describe.
    Best way to think about it is that for a lot of people they simply have a strong (maybe very strong) preference for one gender over the other. How many of your guys genuinely get on better with your best mate then you do your girlfriends? It was true for me, at which point I realised I didn't care that much about gender when it came to finding the right person to be with.
    I get on with my male mates more than most of my exes, so I can see your point. OK Thought experiment. Thinking back on the exes I got on the most with, if one of them went away and came back after gender reassignment surgery? No matter how much I got on with them or loved them, I would not sleep with them again. I do know of a guy, who was very confused about his sexuality and labeled himself as gay, but later realised he was transexual. So she had the surgery and became a woman. Gay men didnt want to know and yet beforehand she had a full sex life as a "gay" man. So I do think it works on both sides.

I do agree there are a lot of grey areas. I do think too that there are more bi people out there. More than straight society thinks but less than bi society thinks if you know what I mean.

The bi thing somewhat fascinates me. My understanding is that they fall for/are attracted to someone first regardless of gender and the sexual tags along on that. Kinda like you describe. I think it fascinates me because of how a guy I knew came out to me when I was young. TBH I was a bit eh what? He put it to me that imagine I lived in a world where the "norm" was being gay. I'd still be into women. I may have to try and pass as gay for appearnces sake, but I would still be into a different thing. Which made perfect sense to me personally. The bi thing doesnt though. I can understand the preference one way or the other but not both. Dunno if Im explaining that well though. :s

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kisaragi wrote: »
    Not all straight males find gay female sex attractive.
    I dont for one. Does nothing for me. TBH it looks weird.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Wibbs wrote: »
    The bi thing somewhat fascinates me. My understanding is that they fall for/are attracted to someone first regardless of gender and the sexual tags along on that. Kinda like you describe. I think it fascinates me because of how a guy I knew came out to me when I was young. TBH I was a bit eh what? He put it to me that imagine I lived in a world where the "norm" was being gay. I'd still be into women. I may have to try and pass as gay for appearnces sake, but I would still be into a different thing. Which made perfect sense to me personally. The bi thing doesnt though. I can understand the preference one way or the other but not both. Dunno if Im explaining that well though. :s
    Bi people are just attracted to people of both genders, what's so hard to understand?

Also, I don't see how anything you said in between "The bi thing somewhat fascinates me" and "The bi thing doesn't though" explains why you don't understand bisexuality at all... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/gaydar/the_bees_and_the_bees_a_homosexuality_and_bisexuality_primer
    Is it unnatural?

It most certainly is not. Not only is it natural in people, it occurs commonly in other mammals and animals as well, such as chimpanzees, cows, ducks and other birds, cats, dogs, insects, gorillas, horses, sheep, monkeys, and a plethora of other creatures. It also is nothing new. Though through much of history many homosexuals and bisexuals have not been "out," -- due not to their orientation, but to the cultural and interpersonal condemnation of anything that isn't heterosexuality -- most anthropologists and biologists agree that it has occurred in humans for just as long as heterosexuality.

It's hard to understand for me simply because of the fact its both genders. I am sexually attracted to one, so I can grasp how someone can be attracted to one, whichever that may be. Man for man, woman for man, man for woman, woman for woman, but not both. So it doesnt compute for me thats all.

If I see a person, their gender triggers pretty much instant low level sexual responses for me. Would I or wouldnt I basically. That's entirely tied to their gender on a sexual level. Yes there may be nuances within that, so I'd have the sub group of would I wouldnt I about the gender Im attracted to, but the other side is just nope. Does not register.

As I say both doesnt compute for me. Thats all. So Im intrigued by someone who is triggered by both. What are the different triggers sexually/physically? Or is it that there is a global attraction that takes place regardless of gender and the sexual rides in on the coat tails?

Most people are saying they dislike when anyone (regardless of sexuality/race/religion etc) is

Oh I know that. But what you are going to have to do now is explain of what relevance that is to this thread? This isn't a thread about "Traits I dislike in general", it is talking about specifically an individuals opinion of gay people.

For example, would this or would this not be a disingenuous statement to make in a thread titled "Attitudes towards Black people"

"I have friends that are black, but the aggressive and violent ones really annoy me. I dislike aggressive and violent people in general"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

I'm just going to answer the questions of the original post. I know people like to argue, but it might help the OP if you also did the same.

I've done all the same things with gay friends that I would with straight ones.

I'm the same. I've gone swimming with gay men, slept in the same room. I never felt in the least bit threatened.

Does it make someone less of a man to be gay? No. I can't tell you the exact reason why, but I've never felt that way about gay men.

Do the sterotypes still exist in your mind, regarding femininity and homosexuality? No. I think men and women display characteristics that are often seen as typical of the other gender. It has nothing to do with sex.

What would you do if your son told you he was gay?
    Nothing, except tell him it doesn't matter to me. I'd love my son for being my son, not for being straight or gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Wrong.

How about?

Most people are saying they dislike when anyone (regardless of sexuality/race/religion etc) is:

No, that wasn't said by anyone.
    Most of the studies Ive read on the subject found men tended to be at one end or the other. The middle ground wasnt particularly weighted at all. The research and others like it that iptba referenced that seemed to show women were more "in the middle". I could see how if both genders were merged then it would show a more middle bias. As an interesting aside it also showed that women were more visually sexual than men than the prevailing notion has it. They just didnt report it(or maybe conscious of it). Indeed in one study women were aroused by bonobo chimps sexual behaviour. Like iptba's link says, men were aroused by their preference and that tended to be gay or straight. If men were more in the middle in general then you would expect them to be more like the womens results.

Yes, most people will be towards one end or the other. Yet a significant number (~25%) of people will have mild to strong bi-sexual tendencies at some point in their life.

I would say for bi people that's true. For gay or straight men who they want to have sex with is their sexuality. Of the gay guys Ive known even the thoughts of being with a woman are in the eeuuuugh zone. Pretty much identical to the take of straight guys if thinking about being with men. Then again that could well be down to me only knowing men at either end of the scale you describe.

Depends on how you define your sexuality. For myself sexuality encompass physical, spiritual, emotional and intellectual attractions. Often the least important aspect will be the physical side of things since physically I'm capable of being attracted to a wide range of people but the ability to make other forms of connections restrict potential partners. For instance, if I don't feel there's the foundation for an emotional connection to someone, nothing will ever happen between us.

I don't think I'm that out of line with the rest of the population. You'll hear people refer to a sexual encounter as just sex making a clear distinction between sex and sex with meaning. All this ties into sexuality. You're straight but do you really think your sexuality is the exact same as that of other guys who sleep with women, or would you say its unique to you?
    I do agree there are a lot of grey areas. I do think too that there are more bi people out there. More than straight society thinks but less than bi society thinks if you know what I mean.

I think most people have a strong preference but given the right circumstances and the right person, may be willing to try something out something which isn't in-line with that preference. Thats not to say they are bisexual, just that they experience a "Why not" phase as I call it. You'd be amazed the number of people who fit into this category.

I'd actually say I'm somewhere between Bi-sexual and Pan-sexual. It's why I'm reluctant to use labels.

Angus Og wrote: »
    I'm just going to answer the questions of the original post. I know people like to argue, but it might help the OP if you also did the same.
    Well adding to the debate may show why some people have one attitude and others another, over something that seems quite straightforward. That actually might help the OP and others more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I can see where your going AngusOg, your attempts to stick directly to my OP are appreciated. But I didn't post it as a limiting factor, more as a way to provoke some discussion, and thats what we've gotten alright. I wasn't specifically looking for help, as, well I've not got anything to seek help on, if you get me.

I certainly would like to see less of people picking each others posts apart to the minute detail though, or making it too personal in nature. Thats something that can rarely be helped though on discussion sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

I know, and I wasn't saying people shouldn't debate. I was just saying it would be interesting to see the answers to those questions. Maybe I'd be interested. Sorry to be confusing.

Depends on how you define your sexuality. For myself sexuality encompass physical, spiritual, emotional and intellectual attractions. Often the least important aspect will be the physical side of things since physically I'm capable of being attracted to a wide range of people but the ability to make other forms of connections restrict potential partners. For instance, if I don't feel there's the foundation for an emotional connection to someone, nothing will ever happen between us.
    Gotcha.
    I don't think I'm that out of line with the rest of the population. You'll hear people refer to a sexual encounter as just sex making a clear distinction between sex and sex with meaning. All this ties into sexuality.
    True enough. I suppose I could never imagine the meaning over writing the gender I suppose? Funny enough though I tend to ascribe meaning even to a one off encounter(albeit a forced meaning)
    You're straight but do you really think your sexuality is the exact same as that of other guys who sleep with women, or would you say its unique to you?
    Good point. Very. Yep I would say though broadly "average" it would be unique to me yea. Not getting off on two women going for it for a start. :)
    I think most people have a strong preference but given the right circumstances and the right person, may be willing to try something out something which isn't in-line with that preference. Thats not to say they are bisexual, just that they experience a "Why not" phase as I call it. You'd be amazed the number of people who fit into this category.
    Gotcha.
    I'd actually say I'm somewhere between Bi-sexual and Pan-sexual. It's why I'm reluctant to use labels.
    Understandable.

Cheers for your unique take. I may be wrong but I have noticed in my convos anyway in both the straight and gay community, bisexuals are often looked at a bit sideways. More than exclusively gay people anyway. Both sides can accuse them of being "don't know what they want/are covering up their real sexuality" types. Bisexuality can appear to be the odd one of the bunch.

So good to get a better angle I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    http://www.scarleteen.com/article/gaydar/the_bees_and_the_bees_a_homosexuality_and_bisexuality_primer
    Is it unnatural?

It most certainly is not. Not only is it natural in people, it occurs commonly in other mammals and animals as well, such as chimpanzees, cows, ducks and other birds, cats, dogs, insects, gorillas, horses, sheep, monkeys, and a plethora of other creatures. It also is nothing new. Though through much of history many homosexuals and bisexuals have not been "out," -- due not to their orientation, but to the cultural and interpersonal condemnation of anything that isn't heterosexuality -- most anthropologists and biologists agree that it has occurred in humans for just as long as heterosexuality.

This is a silly argument.

You do realize that there are a lot of things that humans have deen doing for a long, long time, which also occur in 'nature' (mammels and other animals) that the majority of people in civilized society would consider unnatrual, wrong or illigal...

murder
    killing your own young, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

P.C. wrote: »
    that the majority of people in civilized society would consider unnatrual, wrong or illigal...

murder
    that the majority of people in religions would consider unnatural, wrong or illegal...

sex outside marraige, etc

You do realize that there are a lot of things that humans have deen doing for a long, long time, which also occur in 'nature' (mammels and other animals) that the majority of people in civilized society would consider unnatrual, wrong or illigal...

murder

I found that the best way around this argument is simply agree. If I accept the premise that something is unnatural, so what. Unnatural doesn't equate to wrong and bad, similarly natural doesn't equate to right and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

murder

the banning of homosexual sex and heterosexual sex for anything more than procreation is a construct of religious organisations to control society and exert guilt and shame as a form of mental manipulation
    Homosexuality has never existed in its current form as neither has our current society. We need to legislate to accommodate these changes.

I dont believe in anything being natural or unnatural. Either it occurs or it doesnt.
    Gay people occur
    Flying people do not occur

I found that the best way around this argument is simply agree. If I accept the premise that something is unnatural, so what. Unnatural doesn't equate to wrong and bad, similarly natural doesn't equate to right and good.

I've always found the premise of natural/unnatural divisions to be somewhat of a frivolous human construct.

I mean you take Ants, they build colonies, form and mold the earth, use foreign materials for this process and the end result is that their city is "natural". Humans do the same thing to build their cities, yet ours are defined as "unnatural".

Humans are a part of nature, we are a product of it. I think people make the confusion of saying "unnatural" when they really mean "abnormal". But then again, a "norm" is also a subjective human construct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

murder

You are right just because we feel it does not mean we should act on it and some things like killing young etc we dont do because we are civilised.

However a relationship that does not harm another person well.
    the_syco wrote: »
    that the majority of people in religions would consider unnatural, wrong or illegal...

sex outside marraige, etc

My son of 19 does not question his gay friends sexuality but there is a running joke if they ever start a boy band he (the friend) will have to deal with the manager.
    I've always found the premise of natural/unnatural divisions to be somewhat of a frivolous human construct.

You are dangerousley close to saying Social Construct which would be very Nietzchean and too scary at lunch time.

I mean you could say why do gay couples want marriage. Heterosexual marriage is largely appropriate to bring up kids and share resourses.

Gay marriage monogamy and sharing resourses. Why not.

CDfm wrote: »
    I mean you could say why do gay couples want marriage. Heterosexual marriage is largely appropriate to bring up kids and share resourses.

Thus when children are 18 heterosexual marriages are automatically dissolved. Marriage is a commitment with certain legal benefits and consequences which would render it attractive. I'm at an age where alot of my friends are starting to talk about marriage. Not really planning to have kids, more to do with marriage for it's own shake.

Thus when children are 18 heterosexual marriages are automatically dissolved. Marriage is a commitment with certain legal benefits and consequences which would render it attractive. I'm at an age where alot of my friends are starting to talk about marriage. Not really planning to have kids, more to do with marriage for it's own shake.

Not really -there is permanence - I mean its the same as if two people incapable of having kids mary thru age or for medical reasons. I dont see the problem myself.

I dont see why gays cant get married and its the child issue and adoption etc which is a relatively small side issue which causes the squabbles that hold it back.

Dumb logic IMHO.

CDfm wrote: »

I'm not quite sure what you are asking me, if anything? Are you asking me what is the point of Gay couples wanting marriage? A more liberal use of question marks in your posts would help ;)

Equality would be one. There's no reason such a freedom should be allowed one group and not another. Like Boston said, there are also a myriad of financial and legal benefits to marriage. Then there is also the symbolism of it, which is important to people.

Children are only 1 of the factors involved in why 2 people would get married. Plenty of people marry and never have children.

Its been a while Goduznt -how are you.

I was teasing you about Nietzche :D

I didnt think it was any harm to raise the marriage issue as gay people have the same hopes and aspirations of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness as everyone else. Which I am sure you agree on.Weyhey - we finally agree on something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

There's no reason such a freedom should be allowed one group and not another. Like Boston said, there are also a myriad of financial and legal benefits to marriage.
    Of course financial benefits for the couple mean others are paying for it. So society may decide it only has so much resources from taxes, etc. So, in reply to the first point, there can be a reason (which might be nothing to do with homophobia) even if some/many/most may disagree with the reason.

Advertisement