Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭marathonic

I accidentally ordered two copies of Windows 7 from PCFritz in Germany. They cost €29.90 + €14.90 shipping and I'm selling one on Adverts.ie for €40 including shipping via An Post.

Might come in handy if someone is looking to pay via Bank Transfer or Paypal (and to save a little money at the same time).

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-7-professional-64-bit-oem/3727835

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

marathonic wrote: »
    I accidentally ordered two copies of Windows 7 from PCFritz in Germany. They cost €29.90 + €14.90 shipping and I'm selling one on Adverts.ie for €40 including shipping via An Post.

Might come in handy if someone is looking to pay via Bank Transfer or Paypal (and to save a little money at the same time).

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-7-professional-64-bit-oem/3727835

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

rob_itb wrote: »
    As above but in tech speak which really comes as a surpise to me since on paper pcie kicks sata 3's behind up and down the street all day long

Regardless of price etc., the OCZ drive is still around a year and a half older than the Samsung, so it's not that surprising that it does so well against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Monotype wrote: »
    Regardless of price etc., the OCZ drive is still around a year and a half older than the Samsung, so it's not that surprising that it does so well against it.

Revo drives are really designed to be caching drives for servers and high end systems. They are pure IOPS orientated devices which for a normal desktop machine is not overtly required past a normal SSD.

In my opinion, SSD's have pretty much reached the point of negligible returns with performance increases for the average user. At this stage I simply look at them purely on a cost/Gb ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

In my opinion, SSD's have pretty much reached the point of negligible returns with performance increases for the average user. At this stage I simply look at them purely on a cost/Gb ratio.

This. They can make SATA Express SSDs all they like, and sure, I'll take extra performance if it's around, but capacity will (almost) always come first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Reliability then Capacity for me tbh. I wouldnt touch a OCZ drive with a bargepole and would just end up buying a Samsung/Crucial Drive even at a slightly higher cost. Speed is not a factor anymore imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Afraid I'm showing my lack of current GPS knowledge now but the 149 7870 on pix has me tempted.... I'm wondering would a 7870 be an ok side-grade from my old cross fired 5850s or should I go 7950? Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭marathonic

Afraid I'm showing my lack of current GPS knowledge now but the 149 7870 on pix has me tempted.... I'm wondering would a 7870 be an ok side-grade from my old cross fired 5850s or should I go 7950? Any thoughts

I hadn't intended to get this but bit the bullet there now.

Basically, the free delivery offer ends today and, starting tomorrow, there's a 5% discount code - NEWPIXIE.

However, they seem to have activated the discount code early and you can get a 7870 for €142.41 including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Not worth it IMO.

Not enough of a jump in performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/amd-radeon-hd-7870-ghz-edition-radeon-hd-7850-review-rounding-out-southern-islands/11

I am on a 6950 which is pretty much equivalent to a 5870 and the 7850, the 5850 is only going to be a little slower.

I wouldn't go less than a 7950 and even then I am waiting till the end of this month to see what is announced by AMD for their pending 9000 series due this October (allegedly...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Is amazon.de the same as .co.uk in regard to postage to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭savemejebus

kevovek wrote: »
    Is amazon.de the same as .co.uk in regard to postage to Ireland?

Amazon.de charge a shipping fee to Ireland regardless of how much you order while Amazon.co.uk (when sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon) offer free super saver shipping on all order over £25 to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Thinking of picking up the Walimex (aka Samyang / Rokinon) 7.5 mm wideangle lens on Amazon.de if it goes for a good price. Typical street price is around €250, will need to be under €200 to tempt me :p

Got the M500 deal, finally a chance to format my PC and start fresh with Windows 8.1!

Edit: bah the lens is "reduced" to €250, great deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'm looking for some new ext HD's for when I start traveling.
    I'm looking for 2TB+ {hopefully a cheapish 4TB} mainly looking for host-powered with either USB3 and/or eSATA and rugged.

Anybody got an idea?
    Also is Samsung and WD still the best, or has Seagate/others gotten better in the last few years?

I'm looking for 2TB+ {hopefully a cheapish 4TB} mainly looking for host-powered with either USB3 and/or eSATA and rugged.

Anybody got an idea?
    Also is Samsung and WD still the best, or has Seagate/others gotten better in the last few years?

There are a few country's around the world that will search your drives at customs and charge you for illicit movies/games/music etc, even jail you if required. And I can't think of much else you would use for that much data.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

There are a few country's around the world that will search your drives at customs and charge you for illicit movies/games/music etc, even jail you if required. And I can't think of much else you would use for that much data.

Are you serious? :confused:
    Movies production, music productions, graphic productions just to mention a few

And btw what has the custom to do with the fact that somebody wants to buy a brand new (blank) drive from an e-tailer?

darconio wrote: »
    And btw what has the custom to do with the fact that somebody wants to buy a brand new (blank) drive from an e-tailer?

Did you miss the "while travelling" part? I work with a lot of tech people who travel the world and carrying any large quantity of movies or music can lead to serious consequences. This isn't the Spanish inquisition, its friendly advice.

Thats completely ignoring the fact that traditional hard drives don't travel well regardless of how rugged the case is.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Anybody got an idea?

Stolen from BA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Station-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00C9TEOCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389274204&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+3tb+d3+station+external+hard+drive
    Did you miss the "while travelling" part? I work with a lot of tech people who travel the world and carrying any large quantity of movies or music can lead to serious consequences. This isn't the Spanish inquisition, its friendly advice.

I'm probably missing something but I thought I was entitled to backup my blu-ray collection to an external hard drive.
    A BR movie on average is 25GB : getting back to the original question you won't need many to fill a 4TB hard disk

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

someone's selling ASUS GTX 670 for €220 on adverts, very descent price even used, very good card... think he has one more left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'm going to leave 2 or 3 of them at home connected to my HP Micro Server with I have Plex and OpenVPN setup on for media.

I will need access to >20 Virtual Machines Images and a large set of DVD ISOs.
    I'm fully aware of the possibility of getting my phone/laptop/ext disks either cloned and/or seized at the boarder for no reason at all. It has happened to a few people I know :/

When buying the disks the only thing customs care about it that the VAT/TAX is fully paid. But traveling over boards is another issue.

When you and at an airport you are technical not in the county till you pass customs/security. So they can search and seize your stuff for any reason and don't need to follow local laws!!!

US is the worst since the Coast Guard can also search a large distention inland from the coast.

darconio wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would it be worth my while upgrading my 580gtx to a titan or 780 that are for sale on adverts? Or even just keeping the 580 and adding one of those? the 780 is for sale for 420 euros which could probably come down into my price range or else i could wait for titans to drop more.

Starting to play games again at 1440 has left me needing a bit more power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Would it be worth my while upgrading my 580gtx to a titan or 780 that are for sale on adverts? Or even just keeping the 580 and adding one of those? the 780 is for sale for 420 euros which could probably come down into my price range or else i could wait for titans to drop more.

Starting to play games again at 1440 has left me needing a bit more power!

580 is not a bad card. I'd hold out. Make maxwell your next buy.

580 is not a bad card. I'd hold out. Make maxwell your next buy.

There's a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and I can't figure out how to squander it.. Could make it into nice monitoring speakers, couple catleap type displays or a new gpu/a good few hard drives.. I love first world problems like these :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

There's a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and I can't figure out how to squander it.. Could make it into nice monitoring speakers, couple catleap type displays or a new gpu/a good few hard drives.. I love first world problems like these :P

Get an oculus rift!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ah quite the dilemma. Then why you buying second hand sheet.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Get an oculus rift!

Should I be worried that I had to google what that was? Looks cool but I'm not really up for having my eyes focus on something that close all the time, they're already destroyed from looking at a screen so much :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The oculus rift is an amazing piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would definitely get a new card if you're playing at 1440p, it will make a huge difference! R9 290 is a savage buy, amazing performance for the price.

Sli is a cost effective upgrade alright if you have a sli board, would get a 2nd card for about €150 now. Only worth it if you have the 3GB 580 though, 1.5Gb model is too little for new games at 1440p.

I would definitely get a new card if you're playing at 1440p, it will make a huge difference! R9 290 is a savage buy, amazing performance for the price.

Sli is a cost effective upgrade alright if you have a sli board, would get a 2nd card for about €150 now. Only worth it if you have the 3GB 580 though, 1.5Gb model is too little for new games at 1440p.

I unfortunately don't have the 3gb 580. Nearly impulse bought a pair of yamaha hs8 monitoring speakers there a few minutes ago I think I might go eat a jam doughnut to calm down. I'm rmaing my h100 cooler because I got one of the original loud ones, and im going to go about getting a replacement for one of my sticks of ram as I'm only seeing 30gb rather than the full 32. I'd say once I have a quiet computer that doesn't lie about ram I should only then think about nice new shiny things.

Hard drives count as a consumable right? So I should be able to write that off as an 'I definitely needed those' kind of thing, so that the cost wont count towards my squandering money pile. Right?..right?!

yes that doughnut will do nicely..

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Taken from here in the Bargain Alerts thread:
    Fnz wrote: »
    Mionix Naos 8200 mouse - £35 on Amazon

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

Thanks to Frank30uk on Hotukdeals for the deal.

I find the following Anker gaming mouse much better value than the Mionix one. The only downside to it is that not all the colours change to the chosen colour, only the breathing light. But it's cheaper and has more buttons than the Mionix and comes with weights allowing you to weight your mouse exactly how you want it.

Edit: I have bought the Anker mouse, it's the one I use for gaming and I can't fault it apart from the nit pick regarding the colour setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I find the following Anker gaming mouse much better value than the Mionix one. The only downside to it is that not all the colours change to the chosen colour, only the breathing light. But it's cheaper and has more buttons than the Mionix and comes with weights allowing you to weight your mouse exactly how you want it.

Edit: I have bought the Anker mouse, it's the one I use for gaming and I can't fault it apart from the nit pick regarding the colour setting.

That Anker one seems well received, alright.

I have the older Mionix Naos 5000, which is a similar design to the 8200. The shape of the Mionix is a big selling point. When I was looking for a mouse, most of the reviews praised how good it felt in the hand.

Although, personally, I'd have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the design.

Advertisement