Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

When Gumbi posted the 7950 Dual-X on the bargain alters thread I was wondering if it was voltage locked.. Couldn't find a definitive answer online but just spotted something on the description.

"For enthusiasts wishing to maximise performance, a new version of the SAPPHIRE overclocking tool, TriXX supporting this latest generation of technology is available free to download from the SAPPHIRE website. TriXX allows tuning of GPU voltage as well as core and memory clocks, whilst continuously displaying temperature. Manual control of fan speed is supported, as well as user created fan profiles and the ability to save up to four different performance settings."

^ Seems to imply its not voltage locked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Price of the Radeon HD7950 will probably drop a bit over the coming weeks. Nvidia's GTX760 is getting decent reviews from a price:performance standpoint. So I wouldn't jump on the first price-reduced 7950 unless the reduction was fairly significant.

I believe third party versions of the 760 are due in the next fortnight. A near-silent option with a bit of an overclock could tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Danger781 wrote: »
    When Gumbi posted the 7950 Dual-X on the bargain alters thread I was wondering if it was voltage locked.. Couldn't find a definitive answer online but just spotted something on the description.

"For enthusiasts wishing to maximise performance, a new version of the SAPPHIRE overclocking tool, TriXX supporting this latest generation of technology is available free to download from the SAPPHIRE website. TriXX allows tuning of GPU voltage as well as core and memory clocks, whilst continuously displaying temperature. Manual control of fan speed is supported, as well as user created fan profiles and the ability to save up to four different performance settings."

^ Seems to imply its not voltage locked :D

There's headroom on the stock voltage, too though ;) Over-volting won't be your priority anyway if going CF, anything over 1000mhz would be fantastic for performance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Gumbi wrote: »
    There's headroom on the stock voltage, too though ;) Over-volting won't be your priority anyway if going CF, anything over 1000mhz would be fantastic for performance. :)

Oh I know. I just like having the option of tweaking if need be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lu Tze wrote: »

Im trying to save for a camera but Im pretty sure Im going to buy one of them tomorrow...
    VESA Mounting 75 x 75
    ^important.

Bye bye 17" dell secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ED E wrote: »
    Im trying to save for a camera but Im pretty sure Im going to buy one of them tomorrow...

^important.

Bye bye 17" dell secondary.

I have the 23" version, it's a quality panel, the stand is a bit ****. Used a mounting arm, was tempted to get a second but the slight difference in size would annoy me!

I have the 23" version, it's a quality panel, the stand is a bit ****. Used a mounting arm, was tempted to get a second but the slight difference in size would annoy me!

Yeah, I have an arm there already so the stand is irrelevant to me.

Whats it like for gaming, my other panel will be a dell ST2210 which is a fair bit faster TN panel? Blacks are crap but ghosting would kill me so working out which one will get centre stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yeah, I have an arm there already so the stand is irrelevant to me.

Whats it like for gaming, my other panel will be a dell ST2210 which is a fair bit faster TN panel? Blacks are crap but ghosting would kill me so working out which one will get centre stage.

Its fine, dont really play FPS so not sure if there is any ghosting in fast paced games. Best monitor i have had though since about 10 years ago when i had a 20" crt for cad for a while!

Gave the aul fella my spare DVI cable, now I need one. Cant get the imaging positioning right and Im pretty sure DVI would work off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Gave the aul fella my spare DVI cable, now I need one. Cant get the imaging positioning right and Im pretty sure DVI would work off the bat.
    just picked one up myself. too much temptation at €120.

im severely short on DVI cables too though.

this seems to be the best value i can find. its €1 more than the other but 1m longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

If your in churchtown,on Nutgrove Avenue theres a place called micro pro (beside Mr hire) that should have them if you want it immediately.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    just picked one up myself. too much temptation at €120.

im severely short on DVI cables too though.

this seems to be the best value i can find. its €1 more than the other but 1m longer.

Got em in a €2 before, gonna see if they still do them. Its digital so dont give a damn about quality, just gonna be tied to my mounting arm either way.
    game4it70 wrote: »
    If your in churchtown,on Nutgrove Avenue theres a place called micro pro (beside Mr hire) that should have them if you want it immediately.

Know it well :) (Went to primary in the school behind it :p )

Its rated at 15ms but doesnt seemt that slow, gonna try CSS later just to see.

You'd think it'd ghost like hell but tried Borderlands 2 and it was grand. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

You'd think it'd ghost like hell but tried Borderlands 2 and it was grand. Awesome.

LG themselves say the response time is 5ms, not 15 like Argos say.

So so tempted to get 3 of these and set up eyefinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can't trust response times quoted on specifications. The tests aren't standardised and one manufacture can have a different definition over another.

You could also get a 23'' on for the centre and get the 21.5'' ones for the sides. I think a slightly bigger screen often does well in the centre - depends on the game though such as use for peripheral vision or if you want it with perfect continuity into the next screen.

LG themselves say the response time is 5ms, not 15 like Argos say.

So so tempted to get 3 of these and set up eyefinity.

I'd seen it listed as 14 elsewhere so I assumed it was around there. 5 makes senese though
    Monotype wrote: »
    You can't trust response times quoted on specifications. The tests aren't standardised and one manufacture can have a different definition over another.

You could also get a 23'' on for the centre and get the 21.5'' ones for the sides. I think a slightly bigger screen often does well in the centre - depends on the game though such as use for peripheral vision or if you want it with perfect continuity into the next screen.

Yeah, dont always tell you if its grey to grey or black to black etc.

Wish I had room for a third but there just isnt the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Qnix 1440p 27" Samsung panel

~€233 + shipping (says free shipping but I don't believe that).

Apparently 120Hz capable.

Interesting, but:
    Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions

And in the exclusions:
    Shipping and handling
    Item location: 614-090, Korea, South
    Shipping to: Worldwide
    Excludes: South America, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Laos, Macau, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Korea, South, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands (U.S.), Israel, American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Bermuda, Greenland, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City State, Central African Republic, Comoros, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mayotte, Saint Helena, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Western Sahara

Yes, that's pretty much the whole of Europe excluded, along with Australia and South Korea itself...

Is this guy for real? Why not say "we only ship to USA"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Chosen wrote: »
    Interesting, but:

And in the exclusions:

Yes, that's pretty much the whole of Europe excluded, along with Australia and South Korea itself...

The ads themselves are always copy/pasted form each other. if you go on the UK/Irish sites you see it says it can be shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Chosen wrote: »
    Interesting, but:

And in the exclusions:

Well double arse! :mad:

Edited the post meow.

Found 2 more slightly more expensive ones that do ship here.
    Replied in Bargains thread.

• Advertisement

Without meaning to piss on your parade... is this really a bargain alert? They've been around that price for a while.
    Now, it is a bargain alright, but most people on this forum know about them. Those who don't and are just passing by should probably be notified that there's import duties on top of that.

I thought they were floating around the €300 mark.

No, that's about the price I bought mine about 1-2 months ago. It's when you add the customs that it's €300 or so, so that's the price everyone says they are.

Edit: List of Prices in the post here. Now that I think about it, a list of dates could be handy to add to the chart.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79484145&postcount=458

Jonny7 wrote: »

That's great value and seems to be cheaper than everywhere else, but looking around, they seem to have dropped recently.
    Are we expecting a Steamroller release or something?
    Or is it to entice new purchases away from Haswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably just a grab for attention. I have to say that buying an AMD processor like the 8320 or 8350 was incredibly tempting for price alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I would like to buy an 83X0 but even though my mobo is AM3+ compatible its VRM only supports 4 cores :(

I wonder if you'd be okay though; there's the high end Thubans and Bulldozer octo-cores, which were worse for power-grabbing than Piledriver, on the compatibility list. I reckon if you weren't to overclock that it could be done. It could be of some risk to the board in the long term, but how long are you planning to keep it anyway. If you were pushed and the board got fried (would risk of corrupt data be a possibility?), then AM3+ can be gotten for not too much.

Price drop on the Samsung 840 500gb SSD at amazon - clearing stock ahead of the evo launch?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LI7CEE/ref=nosim

About €282 delivered

courtesy of hukd

Ooh! Tempting. I've been meaning to get additional SSD space for a while. Is there anything else cheaper per GB at large capacities at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Price drop on the Samsung 840 500gb SSD at amazon - clearing stock ahead of the evo launch?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LI7CEE/ref=nosim

About €282 delivered

courtesy of hukd

Down to £232.60 (~€270) delivered now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Down to £232.60 (~€270) delivered now!

Nice catch. It's a reasonable price given the free shipping. It's 293 euro on HWVS.

Advertisement