Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

shamelessly stolen from settings thread,

Crucial m4 128gb for £89 (plus a bit of Irish tax) so around €112 delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004...sc_act_title_1

Whats the feedback like on these?

I've got a 60GB OCZ Agility SSD that I was having some issues with trying to setup, but I paid €80 for it. Contemplating just getting rid of it and buying one of the above.

The issues with the OCZ SSD however has made me weary of buying another, but 128GB would be alot more useful

Thoughts?

And I wonder, if I was to say hold onto the 60GB one and use it for storing my games like Wow, Diablo 3 etc. would I notice the same performance boosts I was before, or does it really only work when the OS is on the same OS ?

the performance boost was significant and probably enough to entice me to try again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

crucial is a far more reliable brand than ocz. The above SSD is highly recommended as being almost the best in its class (Intel and Samsung are slightly better, but far more expensive)

I've built several PCs with that drive and no problems yet :o

and all the speed benefits will remain with SSDs regardless of the fact that the OS isn't on it, like a storage drive on steroids. obviously you want the OS on one of them though, to make windows desktop etc browsing snappy.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    crucial is a far more reliable brand than ocz. The above SSD is highly recommended as being almost the best in its class (Intel and Samsung are slightly better, but far more expensive)

I've built several PCs with that drive and no problems yet :o

and all the speed benefits will remain with SSDs regardless of the fact that the OS isn't on it, like a storage drive on steroids. obviously you want the OS on one of them though, to make windows desktop etc browsing snappy.

Excellent.

I might try get the OCZ working properly, and use the more reliable Crucial for my OS and some programmes and then the OCZ for games.

I need to look into a new motherboard aswell, wonder if its best to make a new thread highlighting my current spec to get recommendations for a motherboard?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Excellent.

I might try get the OCZ working properly, and use the more reliable Crucial for my OS and some programmes and then the OCZ for games.

I need to look into a new motherboard aswell, wonder if its best to make a new thread highlighting my current spec to get recommendations for a motherboard?
    start a new thread and we can move the discussion there I suppose. what's the problem with the SSD?

changing to AHCI is easy enough once you have windows installed.

www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?69682-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

conveniently from ocz website :rolleyes:

if you get the crucial, unplug all other HDDs and SSDs, install as usual (with AHCI already enabled), once you boot into windows, you can shut down and plug the others in again. I also disable hibernation:

www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/05/what-is-hiberfilsys-and-how-to-delete-in-windows-7-free-up-hard-drive-space/

which frees up 8+gb of space on your SSD (dependent on how much RAM you have)

That is all you need to do. it'll easier to install new firmware on your ocz when you've a separate OS install on the crucial anyway. note that you will lose all data on the ocz when doing to update.

I bought a 128gb crucial m4 a week ago and it had the most up-to-date firmware available, so I assume all batches now do.

Thanks started a new thread :)

I get a prompt everytime windows boots asking do I want to switch to ACHP, always weary doing it, but I think I need to bite the bullet and just do it.

At present
    OCZ not in machine, has an OS on it, no problem with wiping
    1 Hard Drive with all my games and music etc. (critical remains untouched)
    1 Hard Drive with my OS and my programmes (can be formated, no big deal)

So the plan of action is (correct if wrong)

1) Turn on ACHP with the current two HDDs plugged in
    2) One windows boots succesfully with the change in place, shut down machine
    3) Plug in the OCZ SSD
    4) Run the firmware upgrade from the guide I have from OCZ
    5) When done I should have a recognised and working OCZ (hopefully)

I have another issue with my main OS HDD where on bootup I get NTDLR and it doesn't get recognised as a bootable device. Regularly the BIOS forgets the boot prio and I've to manually go in and promote the main HDD to 1 so the PC can load windows.

Taking me bout 7 boot ups a go to get into my machine, but thats for another thread :)

Thanks pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Need to pick up internal 3.5"hd, >1tb, preferably 7200rpm, today or tomorrow, so it'll be B&M store.

I know of Memoryc in Celbridge and PC World (overpriced). Think that komplett does not actually stock anything, but everything ordered would be shipped from Holland first, so no chance of picking it up so soon.

Any recommendations please. Midlands and Dublin. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Easons is another option. The B&M stores are about €20~30 more expensive. Which isn't that much if its only one drive, if you buying a bunch of stuff then that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Don't Elara and Komplett allow collection from their warehouse? They both have representatives here on boards. So you could look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Komplett allow collection from their pick-up point, but stuff still has to get shipped from their warehouse in the Netherlands, except for the few bits and pieces they stock at the pick-up point itself. You'd have to poke one of the reps to see what they actually stock there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Serephucus wrote: »
    Komplett allow collection from their pick-up point, but stuff still has to get shipped from their warehouse in the Netherlands, except for the few bits and pieces they stock at the pick-up point itself. You'd have to poke one of the reps to see what they actually stock there though.

Stock April to May:

OCZ Petrol 64GB 2.5" SATA600
    €74.95
    SKU 20108990 / Manufacturer P/N: PTL1-25SAT3-64G

DVD Player 7” DIVX - Remote, OEM (ex-demo)
    €34.95
    SKU 80002354 / Manufacturer P/N: DVD-9819

Seagate2TB 3.5" SATA-600 5900rpm 64MB
    €114.95
    SKU 20070533 / Manufacturer P/N: ST2000DL003

OCZ Vertex Plus SSD 60GB - 2.5" SATA-600
    €69.95
    SKU 20096691 / Manufacturer P/N: OCZSSD2-1VTXPL60G

Kingston Data Traveler USB-stick 16GB - USB 2.0
    €19.95
    SKU 20088178 / Manufacturer P/N: AS102-16G-RGY

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056274399&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dabs have a range of GTX570's starting at 250, and GTX560Ti's starting at about 180 - this seems very good value compared to other retailers, if I'm not mistaken, as I was looking at buying either soon (should never have bothered with that 550Ti :eek: )

I wouldn't bother, get a 7850 for 30 quid cheaper, and overclock it, should be better than a 570 and miles more power-efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭somurray

Hello all,

Found this graphics card, the
    Zotac GeForce GTS 450, for only £66.14 (€81.76). Offered with Super Saver Delivery (important for us consumers in Ireland)

However, it listed as a 512mb GDDR5 graphics card. Would 512mb make a big difference, opposed to 1gb?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-GeForce-Grafikkarte-512MB-Speicher/dp/B004CSIFL2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338661568&sr=1-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

somurray wrote: »
    Hello all,

Found this graphics card, the
    Zotac GeForce GTS 450, for only £66.14 (€81.76). Offered with Super Saver Delivery (important for us consumers in Ireland)

However, it listed as a 512mb GDDR5 graphics card. Would 512mb make a big difference, opposed to 1gb?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-GeForce-Grafikkarte-512MB-Speicher/dp/B004CSIFL2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338661568&sr=1-2

It is only really needed for higher resolutions and multiple screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Samsung 830 128gb - €99.98 delivered.

from Dabs

also the 256gb for €212

its coming up as Eur123 for me??

Was going to pick one up at that price.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Same for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Have harddrives returned to normal prices yet? Like, 45€/TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Nope still double that at the moment for best prices

deejer wrote: »
    its coming up as Eur123 for me??

Was going to pick one up at that price.......
    I think dabs is messed up at the moment. its 123 for me too now.

its also doing weird stuff in the Raven3 thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The €99 price only shows up through the email link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Have harddrives returned to normal prices yet? Like, 45€/TB?
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/129874-hdd-pricewatch-higher-prices-are-the-new-normal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I'm not buy any harddrive until I can get them reasonably cheap again, I'll just start clearing old tat off my current drives. Can't stand price gouging like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

Samsung 830 128gb - €99.98 delivered.

from Dabs

also the 256gb for €212

99.98 + 7.66 no?

Republic of Ireland - orders under €123 inc Vat €7.66

stevenf17 wrote: »

will they not just charge us normal price if we didnt receive the email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

pcadvice wrote: »
    99.98 + 7.66 no?

Republic of Ireland - orders under €123 inc Vat €7.66

will they not just charge us normal price if we didnt receive the email?

Free delivery so €99.98 all in.
    You don't need the email link if you search for the drive you will find it on there, just type in "Samsung 128GB 830" and it will pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

54kroc wrote: »
    Free delivery so €99.98 all in.
    You don't need the email link if you search for the drive you will find it on there, just type in "Samsung 128GB 830" and it will pop up.
    when you go to checkout the price changes to €123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Saw a post in the Bargain alerts thread for coupons for logitech peripherals. I'm looking at buying myself a gaming rig at the moment but have been on the lookout for a nice mouse and keyboard. Those coupons would save me a ridiculous amount :O

I feel weird just asking for them though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Saw a post in the Bargain alerts thread for coupons for logitech peripherals. I'm looking at buying myself a gaming rig at the moment but have been on the lookout for a nice mouse and keyboard. Those coupons would save me a ridiculous amount :O

I feel weird just asking for them though...
    I sent them in a PM to Craig B a couple of days ago.
    I'll PM Craig B and say that if he hasn't used them by tonight, I'll send them onto you. Seems reasonable i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

MugsGame wrote: »
    No, it appears that the 6th June date only applies to notebooks, the VAT cashback on SSDs offer is over. From your link:

Apparently, they honoured VAT cashbacks for SSDs too, this is the email a friend of mine got for a 256Gb SSD he bought from Amazon.de a couple of weeks ago.
    Date: Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Subject: Samsung VAT Cashback - Claim validated
    To: X

Dear Mr. X
    Claim Reference: xxxxx
    Your claim has now been validated and approved for payment. Typically payments are processed within 30 working days. You will receive your payment within this timeframe.
    Please keep this email for future reference.
    If you have any questions please check our Terms and Conditions or email help@samsungvatback.com
    Kind regards
    Samsung VAT Cashback Promotional Support
    This is an automated email, please do not reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

More than reasonable. Thanks for being so charitable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

this is not a bargain so much as it is a free competition, but thought all this talk of tech stuff, yous might be interested.. i presume it's a samsung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ebuyer still don't deliver to Ireland do they?

Advertisement