Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sosmyface

noticed some talk about mice in the off-topic thread, came across this steelseries on amazon - not sure how good a deal/mouse it is but...

31DXr5y2yVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    SteelSeries Xai Laser Gaming Mouse (PC) £25.97 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nice find, 125eu for 120gb SSD is not bad!

i got 60gb corsair SSD myself and so far i cant complain. i heard there were problems with corsair SSDs, but i havent experienced anything yet ( touches wood ). thumbs up from me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

nice find, 125eu for 120gb SSD is not bad!

i got 60gb corsair SSD myself and so far i cant complain. i heard there were problems with corsair SSDs, but i havent experienced anything yet ( touches wood ). thumbs up from me anyway!

What Link are you referencing? I just looked through past 3 pages, I don't see an SSD linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭M00lers

Check the sticky.......i.e look up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

luyolo wrote: »
    What Link are you referencing? I just looked through past 3 pages, I don't see an SSD linked.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78070354&postcount=673

This thread is for discussion about the actual bargain alerts thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

SSDs are coming down a bit alright. The M4 64GB is now just ~€75 on HWV. I was just thinking yesterday after seeing a partition that I had left at the start of a drive that I had intended to use for a main OS drive, that I probably wouldn't be bothered buying a system for myself without an SSD ever again (unless something better comes along!).

Monotype wrote: »
    SSDs are coming down a bit alright. The M4 64GB is now just ~€75 on HWV. I was just thinking yesterday after seeing a partition that I had left at the start of a drive that I had intended to use for a main OS drive, that I probably wouldn't be bothered buying a system for myself without an SSD ever again (unless something better comes along!).

yeah, the prices of 120gb SSDs becoming quite reasonable. i would love 120gb on just for steam and keep my 60gb as boot drive.

ffs, i havent finished one upgrades and i am thinking of others... ****... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm going to wait until I can pick up a 1TB SSD for around €300. That should do me for all my Steam stuff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

sosmyface wrote: »
    noticed some talk about mice in the off-topic thread, came across this steelseries on amazon - not sure how good a deal/mouse it is but...

31DXr5y2yVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    SteelSeries Xai Laser Gaming Mouse (PC) £25.97 delivered

Thanks sosmyface, tasty find 7 a great mouse especially for lefties like me as its ambidextrous. The delivery is for 3/5 weeks for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

RoverZT wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

/That is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

2 of those vertex SSDs in raid0 for €150 and you got the speed of the newer gen SSD, but double the storage capacity, for the same price. very interesting.

I think Linus (tech tips) runs 8 of them in raid0.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    2 of those vertex SSDs in raid0 for €150 and you got the speed of the newer gen SSD, but double the storage capacity, for the same price. very interesting.

I think Linus (tech tips) runs 8 of them in raid0.

:OOO I feel very stupid now, I didn't think you could run more than two in raid 0!

I don't think there is a theoretical limit, but you you get bottlenecks in other places. raid card, pcie lanes, CPU etc.

one of my favorite videos of SSDs, though dated and slow at this stage.

24 SSDs in raid0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

i have to say that raid idea is damn neat!

cheapest high speed 256gb ssd solution out there.

though i got only 2 sata-3 on my mobo and i am already using one for 60gb corsair!

you can use sata2 though. that's the beauty of raid. half the data goes across the one sata port, and the other half across the second.

certainly with 2 of those vertex SSDs in raid, sata2 won't be a bottleneck, but you'll still get 500/320mbps read/write respectively, which is far more than a single sata2 port can handle.

downside of raid is lack of trim (not really a problem, the ssd firmware will have native garbage collection) and in raid0 if one drive dies, you lose all your data across all of the stripe.

That's why you pick up six of them and run the lot in RAID 5. :)

on the other hand i hated raid setup when it was/still is on my dell. every now and then it would poop it self and get some error, so then i had to do a error scan and put it back up... fecking annoying.

i should really stay the feck away from pc hardware now. my car is for sale and after its sold i will be getting new car, which will be quite an upgrade. so i need every penny saved now :(

i still want to get for my current pc:

u2312hm ( one more at least )
    256gb ssd
    2gb storage
    death adder mouse
    logitech g27

ffs... :rolleyes:

on the other hand i hated raid setup when it was/still is on my dell. every now and then it would poop it self and get some error, so then i had to do a error scan and put it back up... fecking annoying.

i should really stay the feck away from pc hardware now. my car is for sale and after its sold i will be getting new car, which will be quite an upgrade. so i need every penny saved now :(

i still want to get for my current pc:

u2312hm ( one more at least )
    256gb ssd
    2gb storage
    death adder mouse
    logitech g27

ffs... :rolleyes:

You selling the R33 in your sig?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What's embarrassing with an MX5? Better car than an R33 for sure ;)

I was no insinuating that:) Had a loan of a 2L one years ago & loved it. just thinking it would be sad to part with a motor like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Brian wrote: »
    What's embarrassing with an MX5? Better car than an R33 for sure ;)

Filthy lies.

lol lads. yup, unfortunately my r33 399hp skyline is going for sale on monday. :(

after the talk with misses i had to admit, that i can afford and justify by putting it back on the road :(. i am not earning as much as i used to and plans on buying a house are pushing too. ( already tried last year, but 2 deals felt through, so we took a break ).

i still keep my mazda and my shiety 500eu ford mondeo :D.

love the mx5 myself. beautiful ride. top speed isn't everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's why you pick up six of them and run the lot in RAID 5. :)

6 of these it is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-Vertex-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B0058RECN6/ref=zg_bsms_computers_2

lol lads. yup, unfortunately my r33 399hp skyline is going for sale on monday. :(

after the talk with misses i had to admit, that i can afford and justify by putting it back on the road :(. i am not earning as much as i used to and plans on buying a house are pushing too. ( already tried last year, but 2 deals felt through, so we took a break ).

I still keep my mazda and my shiety 500eu ford mondeo :D.

Any chance you'd swap for an A5 3.0? I careful owner

..and then me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

We should be careful, Motoring and Off Topic threads are a sensitive subject on this site lately!

Brian wrote: »
    We should be careful, Motoring and Off Topic threads are a sensitive subject on this site lately!

Lol so true. I can't believe what happened in motors forum with off topic thread... I got 30 day ban anyway :)

A5 sounds fun, but I am trying to lower running costs, not make then bigger :D

Lol so true. I can't believe what happened in motors forum with off topic thread... I got 30 day ban anyway :)

I'm curious. :)

Anyway, I'd seriously consider a bunch of Vertex Pluses in RAID, if it wouldn't mean a completely unreasonable amount of SATA ports used. For the amount of capacity I'd need (750GB at least) it would mean a lot, and I don't even think ports on different controllers can be used in the same stripe.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm curious. :)

Anyway, I'd seriously consider a bunch of Vertex Pluses in RAID, if it wouldn't mean a completely unreasonable amount of SATA ports used. For the amount of capacity I'd need (750GB at least) it would mean a lot, and I don't even think ports on different controllers can be used in the same stripe.

to be honest i would sit and wait now, all SSDs took such a dive down, so it is interesting to see how far they will fall and/or there is something new fancy out soon.

• Advertisement

what happened on the motoring forum?

Advertisement