Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow - Midlands, West, North 5 - 15cm+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    I've just posted the latest TAFs in the Aviation thread.

Way to go Knock - wall to wall moderate snow for the next 14 hours! :eek:

KNOCK
    EIKN 231700Z 2318/2418 09015KT 9999 SCT010 BKN015
    TEMPO 2318/2400 08017G28KT
    TEMPO 2318/2410 1000 SN BKN002
    BECMG 2400/2402 05012KT
    BECMG 2403/2406 01009KT
    MODERATE SNOW FROM 6PM TO 10AM. MAX WIND EASTERLY 18 KNOTS FROM 6PM TO 4AM.

gosh if it all sticks. there'll be a nice bit up there by tomorrow. thanks su campu you've made up mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok ok .. Question for the experts. What or why is the reason for the wall the front has hit stopping it from getting to Donegal. Same exact thing happened with the last snow front a month ago. Is it the Atlantic influence or what????

It's just to do with the track the low has taken, nothing more sinister than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok ok .. What is the reason for the wall the front has hit stopping it from getting to Donegal.

someone standing on the lighthouse at st johns point with a stop sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Absolutely pouring rain in Dublin this evening some minor flooding on the roads. By all accounts some wet snow on the higher suburbs this afternoon but all in all just way too wet. Done deal for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well i moved house since the last snow.. and guess what... I have a street light to see snow with now !

Street light..... check
    Darkness..... check
    House...... check
    OH....... check
    snow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Both temp and DP on the rise now :

Temp 2.0 c

DP 0.8 c

How come the M7 NRA is reporting a much lower DP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Not much stuck here in NE Co. Galway, snowed from 3 until about 7, light, powdery, wet stuff throughout.

The radar shows the precipitation staying east. Will it push northwest during the night (otherwise the Knock airport forecast of moderate snow is incorrect)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Rain and sleet here now, the heavy snow of earlier has all but gone....I've had enough of the cold now tbh, would like 14 degrees, and a bit o' sun now, because the garden is looking dead and grey at present....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Vudgie wrote: »
    Absolutely pouring rain in Dublin this evening some minor flooding on the roads. By all accounts some wet snow on the higher suburbs this afternoon but all in all just way too wet. Done deal for now.

Yes started to snow in Tallaght (105m) around 1:30pm and was just starting to stick when it turned to rain around 4pm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Not much stuck here in NE Co. Galway, snowed from 3 until about 7, light, powdery, wet stuff throughout.

The radar shows the precipitation staying east. Will it push northwest during the night (otherwise the Knock airport forecast of moderate snow is incorrect)?

looks to wrap a little as it heads directly northwards before swinging northwest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

MayoForSam wrote: »

I've been getting much the same here for the last while... light powder wet snow, not much chance of it sticking.

snow ghost wrote: »
    I've been getting much the same here for the last while... light powder wet snow, not much chance of it sticking.

same here too. hard to see that 3-5 cm accumulation warning being accurate for lower ground unless there is a band of heavier snow to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Evening all..

Still dry here but looks reasonably promising for us later from the charts. Just had a gritter go down my street as well which is always a good sign!

Harps wrote: »
    Evening all..

Still dry here but looks reasonably promising for us later from the charts. Just had a gritter go down my street as well which is always a good sign!

Ah Harps.. you made it. I have been representing the county all day on my own and it snowed everywhere else...lol. Good to have you as back up now :)

Though at this stage I am seriously beginning to think we aren't going to see ANY snow out of this front

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

tinners wrote: »
    How come the M7 NRA is reporting a much lower DP ?

Not sure really maybe because its out on its own away from any interferences , maybe one of the lads on here might be able to say ?

I get my stats from this website :

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

He uses a Davis Vantage Pro 2 which I think is on the higher end of weather stations

EDIT :

Temp now 1.9
    DP 0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Not sure really maybe because its out on its own away from any interferences , maybe one of the lads on here might be able to say ?

I get my stats from this website :

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

He uses a Davis Vantage Pro 2 which I think is on the higher end of weather stations

Yeah have been keeping an eye on that myself... DP is steadily dropping again

UK Met Weather warning for N.I

Outbreaks of snow will become heavier and more persistent tonight and into Wednesday morning. Accumulations of between 5 and 10cm are expected quite widely, though sleet is more likely along the east coast. Across higher ground in the north falls of 15cm are possible with drifting in the strengthening northeasterly winds. Across Armagh and Down the snow should turn to rain during the morning.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 2037 Tue 23 Feb

Poor Owen C is missing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Still snowing in Castlebar, its like icing sugar its so fine but its still coming down heavy, everything seems to be dripping though so temps are causing it to melt...not sticking to the roads but the cars are covered now in a fine layer...Hope we get heavier stuff tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

A centimetre or so of lovely powdery snow still on the ground on our hill just north of Galway city. It stopped a few hours ago and it is melting slightly I think already.
    but lovely to witness.
    And it started about 5 minutes after I arrived home from 9 days in Berlin, where there is over a foot of snow on the ground for a few weeks now! Most snow I had ever seen, so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

more rain than sleet here now (has been for the last 40 mins or so )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Heavy Sleet / Wet snow in Kerry at the mo, BBC graphic shows rain turning to snow tomorrow night over the south, for all those further north and away from the east coast getting snow tonight this heavier stuff might be a sign of heavier stuff to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still waiting..

Looking at raintoday it seems to reach teh Donegal border then just break up for some reason. Slowly getting closer but I've got to get up tomorrow so it best be here before 12 at the latest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Been snowing here since around 2 today, mainly light to moderate snow with a few heavy burst, but sadly it looks like the snow is slowly coming to an end here, snow is starting to get wetter with some rain mixed in now and the snow on the ground is beginning to thaw:(. However im delighted of the outcome today and I have to say Evelyns forecast was pretty much spot on for today.

One more thing is i'm heading to London tomorrow so I won't be here if the snow returns over the next few days. Congrats to all who got snow today and hopefully there will be more to come:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

same here too. hard to see that 3-5 cm accumulation warning being accurate for lower ground unless there is a band of heavier snow to come.

I'm just getting rain now for the last while, tonight's looking like a bit of a damp squid to be honest, unless something changes radically and I'm not confident it will. You might be lucky inland.

On a positive note it looks like the North may be in for a good blast... at least someone will get it!

Harps. If ye read back at my posts it's been sitting there for flipping hours. I am being to think it will not get to us at all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi all,

Been trying to snow here outside Enniskillen for the past hour or so, some flakes blowing about in the wind - wouldn't call it "snowing" though!! Any of the flakes which have hit ground have melted on impact!!

I will report here if things improve!! :D

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!

Those here all day knows what that means :):):)

snow ghost wrote: »
    I'm just getting rain now for the last while, tonight's looking like a bit of a damp squid to be honest, unless something changes radically and I'm not confident it will. You might be lucky inland.

On a positive note it looks like the North may be in for a good blast... at least someone will get it!

just very light grains of wet snow here. i can't see it getting heavier here and if it does it's due to turn back to rain soon enough anyway. perhaps it will intensify the further north it goes. irish1967 deserves it for his patience:) anyway it was nice to see snow fall here, especially when last night it looked like there would be none at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

snow/sleet in Castlebar,1c,grass,cars covered.roads-fine.knock airport is covered in snow,then again its over 600ft.

• Advertisement

Very light here also. But all I wanted was 1 flake and I got it. Very small and I called him Bosco in memory of Eugene Lambert who died today ! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement