Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow - Midlands, West, North 5 - 15cm+

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Min wrote: »
    Apparently Moscow is having it's snowiest day since records began.
    Arrgggh. :mad::mad::mad:Why is it snowing there when here all we have is slety rain snow, and my neighbour's house is covered like an igloo :confused::confused::confused::confused: pffff..hate when it snows in russia and not here:mad: OC

:p:p

Ahem...snow stopped here now. Hoping for more on the way. Air temp is -1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snow sticking now its got dark. air temp .2c. it'll be nice to wake up tommorrow to a covering, but i dont think that will happen here.

That second band heading up from Kerry now could be worth watching?

snaps wrote: »
    snow sticking now its got dark. air temp .2c. it'll be nice to wake up tommorrow to a covering, but i dont think that will happen here.

That second band heading up from Kerry now could be worth watching?

yep. will let you know when it hits me. Just curios about this midler air kicking in. I presume it is following that second band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

because it's better to have it for a while than not have it all.

I just don't see who benefits from snow that falls when people are sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    yep. will let you know when it hits me. Just curios about this midler air kicking in. I presume it is following that second band?

Yeah wondering the same but its getting colder here as i type!

Check the band of cloud racing in towards us from the west. Its to the west of the low swirl out west, thats travelling at some rate.

image.ashx?country=eu&type=slide&index=1&sat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just don't see who benefits from snow that falls when people are sleeping.

what if they're not sleeping and they get to see it on the ground before they sleep. anyway , i might understand where you're coming from if i had spent time in colder climates, where 4- 8 inches of snow was nothing unusual.

nice to see a window of non-opportunity for clare
    3hr-rain.gif

looks like there is life in this precip for most yet

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

To all those who are getting snowfall at the moment or who have had snowfall during today, many congratulations!

We might be heading towards the end of February but the interest is far from over yet it would seem, in the short & medium term. The latest NAE Guidance is very interesting for the southern half of the country in particular for later on Thursday, as colder air begins to move back down across the country from the North - as the main area of low pressure progresses Eastwards. With 850mb temperatures lowering again to values towards -5, there is an outside risk at the moment, that if precipitation is in place as indicated, that snowfall may develop across the Southern half of the country in particular & most especially over high ground in these areas:

10022506_2312.gif

Looking further ahead towards Friday, we have a very interesting development with much colder air in place over the country. For example, the latest ECMWF 12Z Guidance places the 850mb temperature profile between -5 to -7. If there is precipitation in place, as per the 12Z UKMO & GFS Operational Guidance, then snowfall could well develop. Either way, it should be cold to very cold across most areas.

NSea_2010022312_thgt850_72.png

Looking further ahead & there are signs that a severe depression will form just to the Northwest of the Iberian peninsula in some 4 - 5 days time & will begin to track Northeastwards. The exact track is very uncertain at the moment, however there is an outside risk of impact from winds etc. In addition, as per the UKMO 12Z Guidance, there is also an outside risk of snowfall along the northern edge of any assocaited precipitation. This development could be quite dangerous for France in particular, depending upon it's exact track.

Looking even further ahead into the medium term there is a signal develping now for a change in the overall pattern. It's quite possible that the pattern will become more HP dominated with HP developing to the North/Northeast, with a risk of an Easterly flow developing into the medium term.

SA :)

a wintry outlook from jerry murphy just there. some places in the north could see snow up until tomorrow evening:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had 3 hours of snow today, didnt stick, lashing rain here for past hour, the final remains of saturdays snow is melting now due to the rain. Dont think there will be any more snow in my area 2nite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must admit Evelyn's forecast last night was quite accurate as snow fell a lot further South than I thought, so I was wrong on that one.
    Interesting temps in Cork were only 3C all day, so there must be huge potential further North tonight
    As SA says further interest later in the week as the cold air sweeps South again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I must admit Evelyn's forecast last night was quite accurate as snow fell a lot further South than I thought, so I was wrong on that one.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Blizzard conditions here starting to stick. Temp 1.3

the snow is still falling moderately now rather than heavy. i wonder will there be a heavier band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

That feckin snow shield is on full power yet again. Would be funny if it weren't so true!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Oh well.....

Tipperary v Kilkenny in Thurles called off due to heavy snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Just started snowing in Castlebar, like a heavy drizzle but of small flakes of snow...DP of about -2.0....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Driving home from town , reached Newlands cross and it was just snow , got to City west and it was a full on heavy snow Shower ,

From Junction 4 to Junction six visibility was about 100mtrs and it was lashing it down .

Then stopped from about J7-J8

Home in Newbridge now and there is big dark clouds all about but nothing is happening :confused:

Temp 1c

Dp -0.2c

Don't just sit there... get it back !!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Raining here now, but I'm still keeping the faith for later. :)

Don't know if anyone is interested, but there is a program on BBC2 at 8pm - How the Earth Made Us - that discusses how "the advent of farming prevented a new ice age", might be worth a look if you're into that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow every except cork. seriously i'm travelling to galway where there supposed to be a snow event on friday. if theres not i'm gonna scream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Just had a very light snow shower here. Stopped again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

what if they're not sleeping and they get to see it on the ground before they sleep. anyway , i might understand where you're coming from if i had spent time in colder climates, where 4- 8 inches of snow was nothing unusual.

Guess i'll never understand the desire for it to snow just for the sake of seeing it. US winters spoiled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Are we expecting a winter wonderland in kildare tonight? its feckin cold outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've just posted the latest TAFs in the Aviation thread.

Way to go Knock - wall to wall moderate snow for the next 14 hours! :eek:

KNOCK
    EIKN 231700Z 2318/2418 09015KT 9999 SCT010 BKN015
    TEMPO 2318/2400 08017G28KT
    TEMPO 2318/2410 1000 SN BKN002
    BECMG 2400/2402 05012KT
    BECMG 2403/2406 01009KT
    MODERATE SNOW FROM 6PM TO 10AM. MAX WIND EASTERLY 18 KNOTS FROM 6PM TO 4AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Su Campu wrote: »

KNOCK
    BECMG 2400/2402 05012KT
    BECMG 2403/2406 01009KT

Wow !!! Ill never Knock Knock again !! :p

Do you think ww might see somthing around our neck of the woods tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Su Campu wrote: »

KNOCK
    BECMG 2400/2402 05012KT
    BECMG 2403/2406 01009KT

Lucky B******S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

just started Sleeting here with a strong easterly wind.
    (not long now Irish1967 ) 1hour max i recon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok ok .. Question for the experts. What or why is the reason for the wall the front has hit stopping it from getting to Donegal. Same exact thing happened with the last snow front a month ago. Is it the Atlantic influence or what????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

tinners wrote: »
    Wow !!! Ill never Knock Knock again !! :p

Do you think ww might see somthing around our neck of the woods tonight ?

We'll get buck all snow tonight, just rain. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Both temp and DP on the rise now :

Temp 2.0 c

DP 0.8 c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement