Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Deiseen

dzilla wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    How is there a bigger market there thou?

Tourists spend less in Kilkenny, with a slightly higher number of tourists but you also have less than half the people living there too. Maybe the rent is cheaper or the property is amazing but definitely a bigger market in Waterford, and as I said, with the North Quays incoming it doesn't make much sense. Especially to a premises actually on the Quay!

Don't have a clue tbh, but I know from experience of being there mid week for whichever reasons that pubs and restaurants are busy (Not Dublin or Galway busy, but busy non the less). Unlike Waterford City where you may aswell put a Closed sign over the bridge after 6pm midweek.

I've been to Kilkenny mid week and it's often completely dead! Waterford busy midweek with Tully's, Phillies, Geoffs, Walsh's, Uisce Beatha, the Reg and others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Kilkenny Town Center is booming midweek aswell as the weekend.

I'd say you miss the wimpy

The what?

Burgerland was where it was at boy.

Have you eaten there?

Nah. Read some of the guys "responses" to customers reviews on tripadvisor. Enough to warn me off ever setting foot in there. Pics on their facebook page; literally foam on a plate with assorted blobs. Think I'm happy enough to let that one slide.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Have you eaten there?

Nah. Read some of the guys "responses" to customers reviews on tripadvisor. Enough to warn me off ever setting foot in there. Pics on their facebook page; literally foam on a plate with assorted blobs. Think I'm happy enough to let that one slide.

If you haven't eaten there then shut up will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

sillysocks wrote: »
    He had done very well and reviews etc were great. I wondered when I saw the announcement whether the new building might have some accommodation and they might be aiming for a ‘destination’ restaurant like the Tannery. Total speculation though! It’s a big move and definitely a loss for Waterford even if you didn’t like their style of food.

Have you read his response to the bad reviews?

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186638-d10990392-Reviews-The_Bay_Tree_Bistro-Waterford_County_Waterford.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Exactly..that's a bit pathetic and kind of small minded too engi....I don't like look of it so it must be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

WOW !!

Very petty owner, that cant take (mostly justified) criticism !?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Max Powers wrote: »
    Exactly..that's a bit pathetic and kind of small minded too engi....I don't like look of it so it must be crap.

Never said it was crap, I said it was pretentious. Could taste gorgeous, it doesnt look like my kind of joint and the owner has come across as an ignorant so and so more than once so no skin off my nose. Brooklyns casual italian style will be a much better fit tbh.

On a side note, you seem to very quick with the sneaky personal attacks, particularly when you sense a bit of herd mentality behind you. Something to examine perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

ah here.

I've been to Kilkenny mid week and it's often completely dead! Waterford busy midweek with Tully's, Phillies, Geoffs, Walsh's, Uisce Beatha, the Reg and others

Are they all serving food now? Thought it was just geoffs and the reg.

• Advertisement

What's this particular function on the internet commonly referred to as?

Are they all serving food now? Thought it was just geoffs and the reg.

Haven't even mentioned restaurants to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have had an experience with the owner in person, similar to the TripAdvisor responses and that put me off visiting. I imagine very nice so long as you agree with him! Still he’s done very well and will be a loss to Waterford I’m sure. Having a good selection of every type of menu is always good in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Never said it was crap, I said it was pretentious. Could taste gorgeous, it doesnt look like my kind of joint and the owner has come across as an ignorant so and so more than once so no skin off my nose. Brooklyns casual italian style will be a much better fit tbh.

On a side note, you seem to very quick with the sneaky personal attacks, particularly when you sense a bit of herd mentality behind you. Something to examine perhaps.

Yeah fair enough, maybe a bit strong there engi, wasn't personal, apologies, but I do agree with deiseen in thinking bad mouthing the place publicly (pretentious, ignorant, whatever) when you haven't even tried it is a bit unfair to restaurant and it's people, it could be real relaxed in there with a brilliant food, i have never been, pity, meant to at some stage.

I see on facebook that Brooklyn are opening on the Dunmore road out next to Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I see on facebook that Brooklyn are opening on the Dunmore road out next to Aldi

I ate in Brooklyn recently and got a takeaway the other night. Their pizza is delicious and the staff are lovely. The vegetarian pizza is lovely, next time I'm going to ask for chicken on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Tried Sabai the other night. Nice but found it no different in quality to Bell Pepper tbh except obviously more expensive and fine dining.

Only somewhere I'd be going on an occasion at €18.95 for a curry and steamed rice!

Lovely in there though

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I ate in Brooklyn recently and got a takeaway the other night. Their pizza is delicious and the staff are lovely. The vegetarian pizza is lovely, next time I'm going to ask for chicken on it :)

We've eaten there a couple of times in the last month and food has always been fab, great sized portions too :)

Peppers on Saturday, always a great spot and great to see them so busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hi has anyone a good word (or maybe a bad one!) for Saratoga Bar and Restaurant in Woodstown? Thinking of going out there as a possible late afternoon/early evening spot for a catch up with a friend for a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Hi has anyone a good word (or maybe a bad one!) for Saratoga Bar and Restaurant in Woodstown? Thinking of going out there as a possible late afternoon/early evening spot for a catch up with a friend for a meal.

Fairly standard pub grub from what I can remember. It's been a while since I've been there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Anyone try Berkana (former berfranks) yet?

I was shocked to see Berfranks on the Quay gone. Now its an italian place full of fresh pasta, cakes, ragus, high quality coffee apparently.

Anyone tried it? Looks reasonable enough. Itll be nice to have a central Italian place for lunch

Ramen has been packed out the door anytime ive passed this week,havent been in there myself yet but heard its very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ramen has been packed out the door anytime ive passed this week,havent been in there myself yet but heard its very good!

My son went there yesterday with his classmates - last day at college and liked it and went back again today with different friends.

He was telling me about a 6 before 6 meal deal, you get a meal for €6 if before 6pm and I think there's a different meal everyday plus they got an ice cream cone wafer to fill themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Going to be in Waterford next week- where’s really good for lunch? Open to suggestions.
    Last time I tried the City Arms (beside the City Square)- was drawn in by the “grastropub” promise but thought it was terrible tbh. Have had way better food in many canteens! Service was very friendly but food very poor.
    Time before that was done Italian place up the old cinema street and was a let down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

road_high wrote: »
    Going to be in Waterford next week- where’s really good for lunch? Open to suggestions.
    Last time I tried the City Arms (beside the City Square)- was drawn in by the “grastropub” promise but thought it was terrible tbh. Have had way better food in many canteens! Service was very friendly but food very poor.
    Time before that was done Italian place up the old cinema street and was a let down too.

Everetts and Emilianos, both on high street and excellent. La boheme, l'atmosphere both good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Bodega (John St) excellent, Antichi Sapori High Street,excellent Italian, Momo Patrick Street, excellent, Everetts High Street, excellent, La Boheme George's Street, L'Atmosphere Henrietta Street, Emilianos High Street, all excellent really and dependable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

road_high wrote: »

Can't beat Geoff's for a good pub lunch if that's what you are looking for. MoMo's on Patrick Street does a great lunch too.

Opening today

• Advertisement

Gino's pizza opening in tramore it's going to be attached to the sands hotel,from their facebook.

Advertisement