Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

poppies2 wrote: »
    Another big thumbs up from me for Momo and they are so nice in there and great with kids too!

Yep on both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hes not a very nice fellow at all, he used to have great food up in Ballybricken then I think he lost the run of himself when he went down to the Quay and he likes to see himself as a posh and fancy chef catering to the elite in Waterford.

I remember him doing the carvery in the showboat not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

iseegirls wrote: »
    Some restaurants haven't changed their menu since Day 1 - seems like Sabai have had the same menu in the past 9 years at least.

Fair play if you have gone through the Sabai menu enough times to get bored with it. There must be about 75 main courses on it. It's still my favourite restaurant in town, I love spices but I find Indian a bit heavy going.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Fair play if you have gone through the Sabai menu enough times to get bored with it. There must be about 75 main courses on it. It's still my favourite restaurant in town, I love spices but I find Indian a bit heavy going.

Funny..I was thinking similar but most of all I'm jealous that people have been out so much that they are bored with menus.there are still a good few places I haven't been to yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sheehans is consistently excellent whenever we have been there.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

A few places I have been in the last 6 months or so..

New place Bell Pepper, visited the first week it opened, service a bit all over the place, untrained waitress I think, main course was quite good, massaman curry, starter of sweetcorn and potato patty just tasted like curry powder, although very reasonable for 2 courses each and a bottle of wine and an extra glass each for around 60 euros

McLeary's - I hadn't been there since the new place opened, beautiful decor, nice staff, fast service, food was delicious - had the leg of duck - could of done without the red pickled cabbage (personal opinion) and as a party of around 13 people we spent €300 and as it was a birthday party we had a cake brought out (which was no problem) until the waiter flushed and told us we could not cut the cake! never had this anywhere else - for somewhere that's supposed to be a 'family restaurant' i wouldn't return on this.

Sheehans - Food and service was good, my burger bun was soggy unfortunately, but great coffee and homemade desserts. Decor a bit too specific upstairs, All red.

Burzza is definitely my favourite at the moment! Great ,fast service, fantastic burgers, nachos, a little bit on the high priced side but I don't mind cause you can tell the ingredients are fresh and really put together properly.

I do find it very difficult to find somewhere decent at lunch time though, and end up going between The Bagel Factory (which does a great mexican bagel!) or Amigo, fantastic, fresh food.

Anywhere else seems a little bit overpriced for the quality, such as O' Briens, No.9 , Pantry etc. Would love to see a decent lunch place open up in Waterford City

Although The Granville Hotel do the best carvery in Waterford by far! Large queues everyday. Espresso also deserves a mention, although almost half irish- half italian with the Jack Daniels glazed bbq wings and garlic mushrooms, but great pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

McLeary's - .... and as a party of around 13 people we spent €300 and as it was a birthday party we had a cake brought out (which was no problem) until the waiter flushed and told us we could not cut the cake! never had this anywhere else - for somewhere that's supposed to be a 'family restaurant' i wouldn't return on this.

Got hit with that before. Again, a large party, and I brought a birthday cake earlier in the day over to the restaurant. Got told that we couldn't eat it there, that they'll bring it out and blow the candles etc, but they will not be cutting the cake there. Have never encountered that before.
    They said that they don't want the risk of food poisoning happening, say if the cake made people feel ill - then McLeary's would get the blame. Either that, or they want people to pay over the odds for expensive desserts.

I haven't returned since.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Got hit with that before. Again, a large party, and I brought a birthday cake earlier in the day over to the restaurant. Got told that we couldn't eat it there, that they'll bring it out and blow the candles etc, but they will not be cutting the cake there. Have never encountered that before.
    They said that they don't want the risk of food poisoning happening, say if the cake made people feel ill - then McLeary's would get the blame. Either that, or they want people to pay over the odds for expensive desserts.

I haven't returned since.

'Food poisoning' my b ***ix . They just want people to pay for desserts, unbelievable to be honest, have been to plenty of decent restaurants that don't mind you cutting and eating the cake, spent enough money as it is! You can only get 'food poisoning' from the source of the ingredients which would be traced back to where you bought the cake, I don't blame you, I won't be returning solely on that reason

'Food poisoning' my b ***ix . They just want people to pay for desserts, unbelievable to be honest, have been to plenty of decent restaurants that don't mind you cutting and eating the cake, spent enough money as it is! You can only get 'food poisoning' from the source of the ingredients which would be traced back to where you bought the cake, I don't blame you, I won't be returning solely on that reason

Agree..food poisoning rubbish...Seems a bit much alright considering 13 people buying dinner and drinks, if it was 4 or something people id sympathise with the restaurant, customer service needs to up it in a few places including there, in there recently myself, food was delicious to be fair but a lot of waiting staff in Ireland I find confuse over familiarity with professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

When I used to be a waiter.

I used to get the cake ready hand out plates and forks and leave the table cut it them selfs.

I never once refused a cake due to the fact what's a price of cake when you have a table sending 400 euros......

Only thing I would not let you bring in is wine as we had a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

Very impressed with Coconut take away on O'Connell street. Much the same as Kyoto but a bit cheaper. 20% off if you book through their app. Getting 2 starters / 1 main with side and a drink for under 20 quid is daycent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Has anyone tried the chipper in Lombard Street? I got a voucher through the door yesterday and the deals look good.

Yeah, have been a waitress myself Trusted Apple and anywhere I've worked ('fine dining' also) we would never refuse birthday cakes being brought out or eaten..

Wanderer I wouldn't go near Lombard tbh, definitely not anywhere near the best chipper around, the last time I ordered from them I ordered 2 snack boxes, which were 2 hours late and tasted microwaved reheated..... never again..

Stan's Tasty Bites in Kilcohan is absolutely delicious but doesn't deliver :-(

Obviously Johnny Walkers are great too, but can't really think of any in around the centre of town

I had pizza in a new place on the dunmore road called slice pizza it was very good and is made in front off you and cooked in a wood fired oven but it was a bit small for me even the 12' i felt hungry after it but still one of the best pizza's i had in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

dzilla wrote: »
    Very impressed with Coconut take away on O'Connell street. Much the same as Kyoto but a bit cheaper. 20% off if you book through their app. Getting 2 starters / 1 main with side and a drink for under 20 quid is daycent!

Nicest Thai green curry in the city IMO. Restaurant quality food, very fresh and delicious.

Been to Harlequin a few times over the last while, the food is always delicious and the staff are so friendly. A real gem.

I had pizza in a new place on the dunmore road called slice pizza it was very good and is made in front off you and cooked in a wood fired oven but it was a bit small for me even the 12' i felt hungry after it but still one of the best pizza's i had in Waterford

Wonder is that same chap who does mobile pizza thing..also called slice and delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Where on the dunmore road is the pizza place?

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Where on the dunmore road is the pizza place?

Balinakill centre just behind Oscars and yeah its the same guy who has the mobile pizza thing hes just moved into a shop now

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Max Powers wrote: »
    Wonder is that same chap who does mobile pizza thing..also called slice and delicious

Yes its the same fella, John Keane is his name.

Opened the pizzeria a few weeks ago, its located in the Brasscock Centre, out the back of Oskars. Very good pizzas, I'd say he will do very well there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Thanks for that will def give it a go

In bell pepper recently, place near t&h's, lovely(if you like Asian), informal but lovely food all the same, reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Max Powers wrote: »
    In bell pepper recently, place near t&h's, lovely(if you like Asian), informal but lovely food all the same, reasonably priced.

I had lunch there today and it was delicious and the staff were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Was at Slice wood fired pizza last week, seriously good pizza..... Also try the dips which go great to dip your pizza crust into... Yum.

Tried the new 'Chopped' place in City Square today, had seen them around Dublin but never gone in; apparently they opened five stores in Ireland today alone! actually I think this week alone

Huge choice of greens, vegetables, seeds/nuts, proteins. Cool how you pick what you want then move along like a conveyor belt and they chop it all down to bite size pieces, then add dressing.

Think I'll try a wrap next time though, €9.20 for a (huge IMO ) salad and bottle of water which is kinda expensive to me since I'm a student so wouldn't be a daily or anywhere near that kind of thing. Only other drinks are €2.80 (Vit-Hit)

Then again, Friendly Staff, Huge variety to choose from..and they are pretty lenient in that you can choose a specific salad and swap and change any ingredient you want.

Visited Bodega for the first time in years the other day too, and I definitely prefer next door (Burzza) find the dishes in Bodega have too much going on - €17 for a vegetarian risotto which I didn't finish due to the overwhelming taste of hazelnut and butternut with barely any arborio rice to be seen... and the staff definitely are not as friendly IMO unless you're a regular

Am I just too fussy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Tried Chopped yesterday. Really good, the staff are great and food is delicious. The price of the drinks are the problem as their is nothing under €2

Went to burzza the other day. Very nice again and everything was really fresh and expertly cooked. 3 fed with a soft drink each for under €50, can't complain.

In Bell Pepper yesterday for the 2nd time, the Massaman Curry is actually delicious, had it for the second time. Nice surroundings, nice staff, glass of white wine for €4.

Very quick service too, food is very fresh, though they do little things like serving your rice in a takeaway box with your meal thats in normal crockery, and not bringing your drink until your food comes, my rice was very mushy and overcooked, but I left it off.

Would return!

BTW if looking for a reasonably priced comfort food type dinner The Grattan is somewhere I never went, went for the first time last week and was pretty good for the pricing, a bit of a funny set up in that it feels like you're in someones home.

They basically just do 10 dishes all the time, things like roast beef, ham and cabbage, burgers, lasagnes, all for €9.95

• Advertisement

Fat Angel cafe in cathedral square is a lovely spot, nice sandwiches, coffee, etc, they do booze in there too, mostly wine I presume as i think it might say wine bar on outside, nice people working there. Bit of a gem

Advertisement