Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Very surprised. Always thought it did well. It's a bit on the expensive side, but they had a few deals sometimes through groupon - which let us go a few times.

La Palma was myself and my wife's favourite Restaurant in Waterford, I always thought the food was excellent and well priced however I always kept hearing that folk tought it was expensive where as it was in a actually was no different in price to Bodega, Mc Learys and many other restaurants.

I have said it before on here the Waterford diners are more accustomed to going out for a meal consisting of familiar everyday food that someone who knows their way round a kitchen can cook at home, step outside that comfort zone of regular everyday food and go to a restaurant that presents you with a dining experience along with food that requires skill to make and its automatically met with the perception that establishment is posh and expensive where as a matter of fact their prices are the same or sometimes less than the restaurants that have a more familiar menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

fricatus wrote: »
    Aw crap! I thought that would have been a very solid, established place. I've been in there (for a treat) a couple of times and it always seemed to have a good, well-heeled crowd, who you'd imagine wouldn't be shy to shell out on lobster, steak and a nice bottle of CDP!

BTW, what about Sabai then? Am I right in thinking they're owned by the same people, or is it just because they're next door to one another? And what about Espresso? That defintely belongs to the same crew, doesn't it?
    There's an ad in this weeks Waterford Today (other papers too I'd imagine). It says in the ad that Espresso and Azzurro in Dunmore East will operate as normal. Don't think they've anything to do with Sabai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been to Loko twice in the last two weeks and loved it. Everytime I drive past there and spot the place I'm reminded of the lovely meals I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

La Palma and Sabai have two totally different sets of owners.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Espresso have different owners also (Related though)

• Advertisement

Shame to see it gone, of I have it right it has been open since the late 80's? We were in there just before Christmas for a works night and it seemed very much business as usual, food was still excellent, service very good.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Shame to see it gone, of I have it right it has been open since the late 80's? We were in there just before Christmas for a works night and it seemed very much business as usual, food was still excellent, service very good.

La Palma, the name, has been in existence since the 80's but they were a more cheap and cheerful option back then operating out of the corner of John Street, underneath where the Foundry is now. They moved to where Espresso is now for a few years and bought the Mall at the height of the property madness which is, I would imagine, what killed it. It also wouldn't have helped that they moved up-market just when the economy tanked. The extended family still have Espresso and Azzurro so it is not like their skills will be lost to us I hope. I hope they have better luck in the future.

It is no harm to reiterate again what other posters have pointed out above, The Sabai ownership is as different from La Palma as, I dunno, Thai food is different to Italian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wonder if someone could advise on Sunday lunch options locally. Looking to treat my mother for mother's day. Something a bit more refined than a carvery.

Tried the castle who were fully booked..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

hardybuck wrote: »
    I wonder if someone could advise on Sunday lunch options locally. Looking to treat my mother for mother's day. Something a bit more refined than a carvery.

Tried the castle who were fully booked..

Faithlegg are advertising an a la carte menu for Mothers Day on Facebook. It didn't look too expensive but sounded nice!

• Advertisement

In Espresso last night and got a pizza, it was one of the more disgusting ones I have ever had I was shocked! Way too much cheese, I obviously sent it back and asked the question and was told that was how they always go out.

Certainly wasn't always the way, they used to do quite a good pizza, it was the complete opposite of what you would expect from an Italian pizza, the amount of cheese was just unbelievable!

sillysocks wrote: »
    Faithlegg are advertising an a la carte menu for Mothers Day on Facebook. It didn't look too expensive but sounded nice!

Thanks folks. I went with Athenaeum House Hotel in the end. A very suitable three course lunch plus tea/coffee for €24.

Food was good, not top class, but they're trying quite hard and they've a few very nice touches.

Was able to move from the dining room to a drawing room for a chat, a couple of Irish coffees, and to relax after the meal.

Overall I'd recommend, and a nice alternative to the restaurant buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

Are there any Carverys which open late, until like 7pm or so?

Doubt it, none that I have heard of anyway.

My friends and I went to La Fontana last night and loved the food and the service. We'll definitely go back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I posted in a separate thread looking for a nice restaurant in Waterford for a weekend.

I was browsing though this thread and seeing Bellossimo mentioned a few times. Is this a far drive in a taxi from Tower hotel?

Can anyone recommend a bar after with a good atmosphere and live band for a Saturday night?

Cost you the best part of a tenner in a taxi I'd imagine, its not far away and there is a pub called the Uluru across the road from it with a good bar and live music, there is also the Cove bar directly across from the Uluru, not sure if they still have live music on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Klopp wrote: »
    I posted in a separate thread looking for a nice restaurant in Waterford for a weekend.

I was browsing though this thread and seeing Bellossimo mentioned a few times. Is this a far drive in a taxi from Tower hotel?

Can anyone recommend a bar after with a good atmosphere and live band for a Saturday night?
    If you're staying in the Tower Hotel than you have the excellent Olive Tree tapas restaurant right across the road, as well as The Reg right beside it which has a restaurant, bar and nightclub.

If you have your heart set on Italian food then you have La Fontana on the Quay and the excellent Antichi Sapori and also Emillianos on High Street, all within a 3 minute walk of the Tower!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

I thought this thread should be reactivated as I used to find it helpful. Was in the Bay Tree Bistro at the weekend and thought it was excellent. Very innovative food. Best in Waterford at the moment I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I thought this thread should be reactivated as I used to find it helpful. Was in the Bay Tree Bistro at the weekend and thought it was excellent. Very innovative food. Best in Waterford at the moment I think.

I was there last year and although I thought the food and service was very good, his prices are quiet steep! Plus it seems from reading some reviews of his establishment on TripAdvisor, the chap who runs it seems to have a very thin skin when it comes to any form of criticism.
    Any form of complaint, and I'm talking about constructive criticism about wait times and service etc is immediately brushed off and bluntly dismissed in a petulant manner, almost akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum.

• Advertisement

I was in Momo's at the weekend and it was probably the best experience I had in a number of years.

In my opinion a lot of the more established restaurants have become a bit stale. There are a lot of decent spots around but few are in the ‘great' territory. Momo's is entering the great category for me with a fresh and creative menu. Enjoyed the service also.

In addition I had one of the nicest coffees I ever had in the Arch Cafe on George's St. The chap working there was an absolute gent as well. I had one of the worst coffees I ever had in Brooklyn in Tramore - not good.

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you've said. I don't think that he should get involved in that TripAdvisor stuff as I think that the food is above it. I also think that a bit of proof-reading should be done on menus and posts. But essentially the main point is that the food is great. Price-wise, I think it's worth it. It's heading towards Cliff House territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you've said. I don't think that he should get involved in that TripAdvisor stuff as I think that the food is above it. I also think that a bit of proof-reading should be done on menus and posts. But essentially the main point is that the food is great. Price-wise, I think it's worth it. It's heading towards Cliff House territory.

What's the bay tree bistro like for kids?

I don't know, to be honest. Would be worth giving them a call to ask. The main menus wouldn't really suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I was there last year and although I thought the food and service was very good, his prices are quiet steep! Plus it seems from reading some reviews of his establishment on TripAdvisor, the chap who runs it seems to have a very thin skin when it comes to any form of criticism.
    Any form of complaint, and I'm talking about constructive criticism about wait times and service etc is immediately brushed off and bluntly dismissed in a petulant manner, almost akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Yes, and to be honest that completely puts me off going. Had a similar experience with him where he made me look fairly stupid in front of the group I was with. Not professional at all.
    In fairness the food he's producing looks great in photos and something new for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ate there (Bay Tree) a while ago and didn't find it anything out of this world. Didn't think there was anything wrong but nothing that would have me running back again.

Ate in Momo about 6 months or so ago and it was really top notch. Very accommodating for allergy suffers (something that is a big issue for us).

If you are a fan of sushi I'd highly recommend the Royal Garden out beside Aldi in Ardkeen. Some of the best sushi I've ever had (try the Royal Garden Special Rolls). I love Kyoto in High Street and the service is top notch there but for sushi Royal Garden is the best I've come across in this country.

To be honest, if we are going for a meal for a night out we generally head to KK due to the abundance of top notch restaurants there. As one poster mentioned above I've found things in Waterford a bit stale lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Some restaurants haven't changed their menu since Day 1 - seems like Sabai have had the same menu in the past 9 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Another big thumbs up from me for Momo and they are so nice in there and great with kids too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

sillysocks wrote: »
    Yes, and to be honest that completely puts me off going. Had a similar experience with him where he made me look fairly stupid in front of the group I was with. Not professional at all.
    In fairness the food he's producing looks great in photos and something new for Waterford.

Hes not a very nice fellow at all, he used to have great food up in Ballybricken then I think he lost the run of himself when he went down to the Quay and he likes to see himself as a posh and fancy chef catering to the elite in Waterford.

• Advertisement

My family celebrated my son's graduation in Sheehan's at lunchtime today. Everything from the food to the service was spot on.

Advertisement