Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Max Powers wrote: »
    Fat Angel cafe in cathedral square is a lovely spot, nice sandwiches, coffee, etc, they do booze in there too, mostly wine I presume as i think it might say wine bar on outside, nice people working there. Bit of a gem

Was in there for the beer not the food recently. Nice place but pricey none the less for the drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Cafe Lucia today for late lunch / early dinner

A delicious spaghetti bolognese cooked with red wine, mushrooms, with garlic bread only €9.95. Was really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Lovely meal in Peppers last weekend.

Any place to get late food? Going to an event in town friday and won't be done until 9.30pm, anywhere that serves food that late??

dzilla wrote: »
    Any place to get late food? Going to an event in town friday and won't be done until 9.30pm, anywhere that serves food that late??

Bell pepper. (Beside back of shaws, by michael guineys) We had a late dinner there the other night. They're open until 11 every night. Delicious massaman curries & the rest of curries are delicious. There is also a great deal on at the moment if you book a table for minimum 2 people you get a free bottle of wine! Unfortunately we were too early the other night.

Kashmir Tandoori on High street is also open until 11. BYOB/BYOW. Its a basic Indian, cheap and cheerful but good food. Although they've been taken over by new owners and I've heard they are a bit all over the place at the moment.

Cafe Goa also open until 11

• Advertisement

Bell pepper. (Beside back of shaws, by michael guineys) We had a late dinner there the other night. They're open until 11 every night. Delicious massaman curries & the rest of curries are delicious. There is also a great deal on at the moment if you book a table for minimum 2 people you get a free bottle of wine! Unfortunately we were too early the other night.

Kashmir Tandoori on High street is also open until 11. BYOB/BYOW. Its a basic Indian, cheap and cheerful but good food. Although they've been taken over by new owners and I've heard they are a bit all over the place at the moment.

Cafe Goa also open until 11

Thank you for your suggestions, Cafe Goa it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Tried chopped for first time, pleasantly surprised, lovely and reasonable.
    Piri piri chicken salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A funny old weekend in Waterford weather wise. One of the few times where the weather in most parts of the country was sunnier and warmer than the south east.

The plan was to nip out to Tramore on Sunday for a stroll, and herself wanted to visit a boutique that got some positive reviews. Unfortunately, as soon as we crossed the boundary into Tramore, a heavy mist was sitting on the town, coming in off the sea. Then the boutique was closed, so we turned the car back and went back to Waterford!

While at least Waterford had a bit of sun, I couldn't believe how many things were shut up on a Bank Holiday Sunday. Even the Tourist Office was closed!

Anyway, we ended up nipping into McLearys nearly to kill some time as much as eat. While the main restaurant was pretty full, we did spot a lovely space out the back which is a lovely suntrap. Again, I was surprised that we were only one of two couples sitting out, but they've done a lovely job restoring some of the buildings around it.

Food was fairly straightforward - black sole and a burger. Food was well presented with good portions. Friendly service - would recommend to those in the area - 7/10.

Again I sing Bell Peppers praises. ALL main courses all day long are now €6 or €6.99 served with rice. An absolute steal considering they were originally €12.50 , great value. What was a great lunch deal is now an all day and all night deal!

Olive Tree also. Can’t say enough good things. They have a deal on now where you buy 3 tapas of choice for €17.50 or 6 for €34. And they’re all the most popular ones, we got wings, monkfish, prawns, two potato dishes and a lentil dish, two Hefty glasses of wine for €44. Staff are very friendly and professional

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Totally agree, was in bell pepper for second time recently and only first visit to olive tree too, both excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Again I sing Bell Peppers praises. ALL main courses all day long are now €6 or €6.99 served with rice. An absolute steal considering they were originally €12.50 , great value. What was a great lunch deal is now an all day and all night deal!

Olive Tree also. Can’t say enough good things. They have a deal on now where you buy 3 tapas of choice for €17.50 or 6 for €34. And they’re all the most popular ones, we got wings, monkfish, prawns, two potato dishes and a lentil dish, two Hefty glasses of wine for €44. Staff are very friendly and professional

I've only been to the Olive Tree once and, whilst the food and vino were excellent, the music was so loud that it put us off going back. Perhaps it was a one-off and we should try again. How was it when you were there?

I've only been to the Olive Tree once and, whilst the food and vino were excellent, the music was so loud that it put us off going back. Perhaps it was a one-off and we should try again. How was it when you were there?

I've been there 4/5 times, most recently last week and before that was Valentines Day and can't say I noticed the music being overly loud, definitely try it again and maybe if it's too loud next time i'm sure they wouldn't mind turning it down a little!

Went to Rockin Joes today for a bite, I do like the atmosphere of the place and the milkshakes, but the food always seems to be mediocre with a bit of let down :( the curry on my fries was borderline disgusting, my burger was fine, we waited 30 mins which seems to be the norm. They also charge €3 for soft drinks, we asked for Fanta and it was definitely Freeway from lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Was in Chopped at the weekend.
    Very very impressed with what they offer. Friendly and enthusiastic staff too.

Food was delicious and priced very reasonably.

So great to have a genuinely healthy option in the middle of town for lunch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When is Boojum coming to Waterfor? Until it does, Waterford just won’t have “arrived.” ;)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When is Boojum coming to Waterfor? Until it does, Waterford just won’t have “arrived.” ;)

Have you not been to amigo? Their food completely outweighs anything I’ve ever had in a chain burrito place.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Had the nicest chicken and mushroom crispy pancake for lunch yesterday at No.9 in George's court. Took me back to my childhood! It's seems they do an old style special every Tuesday calling it throwback Tuesday.

Singing Bell Peppers praises from the rooftops here again, one of the two only restaurants I visit lately anyway!

They've added to their menu, and a decent deal at the moment is a main course and rice with a soft drink for a tenner, all day, or a main course with glass of wine for 12! Their new madrassi korma is to die for, the fresh vegetables are what make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Singing Bell Peppers praises from the rooftops here again, one of the two only restaurants I visit lately anyway!

They've added to their menu, and a decent deal at the moment is a main course and rice with a soft drink for a tenner, all day, or a main course with glass of wine for 12! Their new madrassi korma is to die for, the fresh vegetables are what make it!

Their takeaways are lovely too.

Ate in Peppers Indian on the Quay weekend before last, absolutely fantastic and great staff, very accommodating, highly recommend.

^^ Ooh yes I love peppers myself, and the staff! Worked there for a few months. All the food is unreal, especially their vegetarian chickpea dishes, and I'm far from a vegetarian..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

^^ Ooh yes I love peppers myself, and the staff! Worked there for a few months. All the food is unreal, especially their vegetarian chickpea dishes, and I'm far from a vegetarian..

Never would have guessed you worked there!!!!

debok wrote: »
    Never would have guessed you worked there!!!!

Why’s that? I’ve never posted about that restaurant... unless it’s bell pepper you’re getting mixed up with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Why’s that? I’ve never posted about that restaurant... unless it’s bell pepper you’re getting mixed up with

Sorry misread my mistake. Only trying to have the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

When is Skippers reopening?? I speak of the Skippers once an after disco institution chipper on Patrick Street. I miss you Skip. And your battered sausages. They soaked up any excess alcohol after a long evening. Then again if it does return maybe they should rename her "Batters" instead of Skippers in honour of the down @ heel roughness flowing thru the late night Waterford streets. Back in the 90's it was a hunky dory kind of town. A man could walk home blotto without any fear of being mugged. I blame the molly coddled snowflake millennials. Just cos you can beat some up to within an inch of their lives on a computer game doesnt mean it can be done in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,784 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When is Skippers reopening?? I speak of the Skippers once an after disco institution chipper on Patrick Street. I miss you Skip. And your battered sausages. They soaked up any excess alcohol after a long evening. Then again if it does return maybe they should rename her "Batters" instead of Skippers in honour of the down @ heel roughness flowing thru the late night Waterford streets. Back in the 90's it was a hunky dory kind of town. A man could walk home blotto without any fear of being mugged. I blame the molly coddled snowflake millennials. Just cos you can beat some up to within an inch of their lives on a computer game doesnt mean it can be done in real life.

Coming back to me now where that was

Think a kebab place moved in there but it now closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Coming back to me now where that was

Think a kebab place moved in there but it now closed

Maybe you're thinking of somewhere else because it was never a kebab place,it was mizzoni pizza the last number of years and is now currently pizza pan i think its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

is that the place on the corner between johns st and parnell st

• Registered Users Posts: 37,784 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe you're thinking of somewhere else because it was never a kebab place,it was mizzoni pizza the last number of years and is now currently pizza pan i think its called.

I knw I thought it was a kebab place now

Due to been in my 20s i Missed out a lot of good pubs/nightclubs and chippers from things I've heard about the place in the 80s/90s. Teens/young aldults now are growing up in the pizza/kebab takeaway era

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ah Skippers, grand spot after the Forum

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Speaking of kebabs... went to 'Zaytoon' the other night in Temple bar I think it was, my god, the best kebab I've ever had!

Advertisement