Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They're nice alright, but similar to the pizzas you get in most italian restaurants, which are far superior to the majority of the take away ones. What i mean is, it must be the scissors that is memorable for most people.

I've always liked La Taverna - but mainly as somewhere to have lunch. Their evening menu is dear alright - and i wouldn't be a fan of the "european option" or whatever they call that section that includes the steaks etc... The pizzas are gorgeous in there, and so are the paninis and bruscettas at lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yes i did pay the bill as i was in a bit of a rush and didnt want to be delayed having to argue! in hindsight i wish i had said it at the time, i normally would, but oddly enough i was thrown off when the waiter didnt enquire as to whether we enjoyed the meal (clearly hadnt) and without hanging around any longer then he needed just dropped the bill and left!!

I can only assume he knew he wouldnt have got positive opinions if he had enquired about the meal and wanted to avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

old gregg wrote: »
    Mrs. Old Gregg and I went out for a meal last night for the first time in Waterford in ages. We strolled down to La Fontana on the quay. We both went starters, pastas, deserts and the house white.The food and wine were excellent and the lot came to €65. It's the closest I've found to the atmosphere you'd get at a good Trattoria in Italy, great food & friendly banter without the pretensions I've found in too many Italian restaurants in Ireland.

they do a great early bird 3 courses and a glass of wine €20 if you like prawns they do a great tiger prawn starter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Boooourns

iseegirls wrote: »
    I've always liked La Taverna - but mainly as somewhere to have lunch. Their evening menu is dear alright - and i wouldn't be a fan of the "european option" or whatever they call that section that includes the steaks etc... The pizzas are gorgeous in there, and so are the paninis and bruscettas at lunch time.

Like the food at lunch but it's sooooo slow in there, i've stopped going in there as you'd only get an hour for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

We went to Revolution on Friday night and got food. The food was fabulous! Pleasantly surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Boooourns wrote: »
    Like the food at lunch but it's sooooo slow in there, i've stopped going in there as you'd only get an hour for lunch!

Thats true, I used to only meet my friend there when she was on a 12:30 to 1:30 lunch, once you get there after 1 pm you havent a hope of being finished before 2 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Has the best fish and chips I ever tasted last week in McLearys. I have always said Johnny Walkers was the best in the city, and as far as a chipper goes they are tops, but this fish was beautifully done in the lightest batter I've ever had. Really a wonderful meal that I look forward to having again next time I'm in Waterford.

Note....I do not have any interest in or ownership of this place...it was just really great....excellent service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

chelloveks wrote: »
    Has the best fish and chips I ever tasted last week in McLearys.

Did you manage to finish it. Have been there twice and got the seafood crepe and then the fish and chips. Haven't been able to finish the fish as they give you two huge bits and those chips are too lovely to leave behind. It's great value for money it must be said and really tasty. From an economic point of view it's a good strategy to give customers value for money but not a great idea to give them so much that they're less likely to get dessert (where they'll usually make their biggest profit margin along with wine).

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

letsbet wrote: »
    Did you manage to finish it. Have been there twice and got the seafood crepe and then the fish and chips. Haven't been able to finish the fish as they give you two huge bits and those chips are too lovely to leave behind. It's great value for money it must be said and really tasty. From an economic point of view it's a good strategy to give customers value for money but not a great idea to give them so much that they're less likely to get dessert (where they'll usually make their biggest profit margin along with wine).

I had the seafood crepe starter as well and it was very good also, but that fish...outstanding. You are right, it was tough to finish, but I ate every crumb off the plate. The 2bottles of wine gave em their profit as restaurants usually double the price, but I couldn't even think about dessert.

That was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had and there are some pretty good restaurants here in NYC!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Hi

Me and 3 of my friends are heading to waterford on Sat and looking for a place to eat...between this thread and other's I'm leaning towards La Fontana...just wondering do ye think is it too late to book it or does it need a booking...does any one know when the ealy bird finishes??

Any other advice on where we could go and things to do also apreciated...this is all of our 1st times there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

bradyle wrote: »
    Hi

Me and 3 of my friends are heading to waterford on Sat and looking for a place to eat...between this thread and other's I'm leaning towards La Fontana...just wondering do ye think is it too late to book it or does it need a booking...does any one know when the ealy bird finishes??

Any other advice on where we could go and things to do also apreciated...this is all of our 1st times there

Here's a link to their webpage http://www.lafontanarestaurant.ie/index.html

I'd always ring and book just to be on the save side!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

I usually have a light lunch in the City during the work week - soup and brown bread - and find some places can be a hit-and-miss at times!

Granary Cafe has awesome, awesome soup, but you only get one slice of bread (the one with bright green seeds baked in :D) and the staff are obsessed with taking the plates/bowls the instant you finish! No lingering around!

The other day I was texting and had my elbows on the table on either side of a bowl of soup... the server with the dark curly hair reaches in and takes my bowl! I wasn't even finished :confused:

O'Briens make soup at the temperature of lava, plus it's really uncomfortable eating in there: too crowded and packed together.

The Pantry is awesome for soup, along with Brunch [whose veg soup never changes, hehe] - I need new locations, though. Does anyone know if Kafe Karma does soup? What about the new Lily O'Briens cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree about the Grannery soup, best in town. I used to get lovely soup in the cafe in stephen's st, can remember the name of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The vegan was given NO CHOICE as usual, which in my opinion is not on.

Vegans are given the same choice as everyone else. They choose not to eat meat etc.

Its not like the waiter says 'no sausages for you today'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

dayshah wrote: »
    Vegans are given the same choice as everyone else. They choose not to eat meat etc.

Its not like the waiter says 'no sausages for you today'. :rolleyes:

What a stupid comment.
    How can someone choose to eat something that they don't eat.

If you had a Restaurant you would only cater for meat eaters?
    To be sucessful in any business you need to try and keep ALL your customers happy.
    Why do I bother evening replying to such stupid comments :rolleyes:

What a stupid comment.
    How can someone choose to eat something that they don't eat.

If you had a Restaurant you would only cater for meat eaters?
    To be sucessful in any business you need to try and keep ALL your customers happy.
    Why do I bother evening replying to such stupid comments :rolleyes:

People choose to be vegans. No-one forces it on someone. Is being vegan some sort of disability that people should be obliged to make an accommodation for them? I'm sick of people who make minority lifestyle choices, and then want everything handed to them on a plate. Your sense of entitlement is ridiculous.

Sure the next time you go to an Indian restaurant why not complain that you had NO CHOICE in your pizza selection. Or you could do the smart thing and go to a pizza place if that's the food you like.

You don't need to keep ALL the customers happy. Italian restaurant's don't sell Indian food, Indian restaurants don't sell Italian food, and normal restaurants sell food for those with normal tastes. That's why there is such a wide variety of restaurants, to cater for people's tastes.

Restaurants have a menu on the door. If you don't like the menu don't go in.

People choose to be vegans. No-one forces it on someone. Is being vegan some sort of disability that people should be obliged to make an accommodation for them? I'm sick of people who make minority lifestyle choices, and then want everything handed to them on a plate. Your sense of entitlement is ridiculous..

Your one ignorant idiot. If someone chooses not to eat animals they should not get a choice? But be expected to pay the same as the other people in the restautant getting loads of choices?

If a restaurant can't cater for everyone then the Chef is not a chef, hes a cook. And the same goes for management.
    I worked in restaurants for a number of years and then had the pleasure of owning my own. EVERY person that walked through my door was entitled to a choice and great food, EVERYONE. And as a manager, waiter, chef and owner I got great pleasure from sending customers out the door happy.
    The Number 1 secret of any restaurant is to make EVERY customer feel special and if as a customer you have that experence you will both return and tell your friends.

But I assume I am wasting my time trying to explain that to someone like you.
    If you had your way people would shut up and put up. What an Irish attitude.

Your one ignorant idiot. If someone chooses not to eat animals they should not get a choice?

I once went to a Vegan place in Dublin. I didn't like the food.

I didn't whine and moan that they offered me NO CHOICE in terms of steak. I knew it was a Vegan place before I went in, and was willing to give it a go.

I like to eat steak, but I'm not going to put other people (the staff of a Vegan restaurant) out of their way just because I want a steak. I chose from the menu.

I didn't return to the restaurant, but wish them the best of luck. Its just not my taste. People are free to make their own choices, but not impose their choices on everyone else.

If you went to a Vegan restaurant and they had no meat-free option you'd be perfectly entitled to complain; but to whine on the internet about a good restaurant, just because they don't suit the food options of a tiny minority, is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

People choose to be vegans. No-one forces it on someone. Is being vegan some sort of disability that people should be obliged to make an accommodation for them? I'm sick of people who make minority lifestyle choices, and then want everything handed to them on a plate. Your sense of entitlement is ridiculous..

Your one ignorant idiot. If someone chooses not to eat animals they should not get a choice? But be expected to pay the same as the other people in the restautant getting loads of choices?

If a restaurant can't cater for everyone then the Chef is not a chef, hes a cook. And the same goes for management.
    I worked in restaurants for a number of years and then had the pleasure of owning my own. EVERY person that walked through my door was entitled to a choice and great food, EVERYONE. And as a manager, waiter, chef and owner I got great pleasure from sending customers out the door happy.
    The Number 1 secret of any restaurant is to make EVERY customer feel special and if as a customer you have that experence you will both return and tell your friends.

But I assume I am wasting my time trying to explain that to someone like you.
    If you had your way people would shut up and put up. What an Irish attitude.

Out of intrest,are you still involved in the catering industry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I once went to a Vegan place in Dublin. I didn't like the food.

I didn't whine and moan that they offered me NO CHOICE in terms of steak. I knew it was a Vegan place before I went in, and was willing to give it a go.

I like to eat steak, but I'm not going to put other people (the staff of a Vegan restaurant) out of their way just because I want a steak. I chose from the menu.

I didn't return to the restaurant, but wish them the best of luck. Its just not my taste. People are free to make their own choices, but not impose their choices on everyone else.

If you went to a Vegan restaurant and they had no meat-free option you'd be perfectly entitled to complain; but to whine on the internet about a good restaurant, just because they don't suit the food options of a tiny minority, is just ridiculous.

It's a Vegan restaurant, the hint is in the name, if a restaurant advertised itself as a Meat only restaurant then the vegans can't complain but a restaurant serves FOOD, not just meat. I love meat but I can sympathise with vegans / vegetarians if a restaurant doesn't serve the food they want unless they advertise that they don't serve vegetarians / vegans.

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    It's a Vegan restaurant, the hint is in the name, if a restaurant advertised itself as a Meat only restaurant then the vegans can't complain but a restaurant serves FOOD, not just meat. I love meat but I can sympathise with vegans / vegetarians if a restaurant doesn't serve the food they want unless they advertise that they don't serve vegetarians / vegans.

By law, ALL restaurants must put their menu and prices by the door. This allows people to check before they go in.

Must restaurants also specifically advertise that they are not kosher/halal? Must they specify they don't have turnip tonight? Must they specify that they don't have Tirimasiu available? Next time I go to a 'food' restaurant I will demand some fried Kangaroo, because hey, that's my choice, and the restaurant just has to bend over backwards to suit me. :rolleyes:

Vegetarians are easily accommodated, but its way too much to expect restaurants to change everything to suit a tiny minority that choose to be vegan.

Out of intrest,are you still involved in the catering industry

Only as a customer.
    I am now in a different line of business as you can see from the link below but my passion is with food. I hope some day to return and open a seafood restaurant and smoke-house. If the economy ever improves.

Just to let you know I love meat, fish, actually all food. But it is very easy to accommodate everyones needs...every kitchen has the ingredients to offer a vegan choices. simple and not a lot to ask.
    If you had a restaurant I am sure you would like to keep all your customers happy?
    And theres more profit margin on vegan food, so chefs should be delighted to make the extra profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

any body here any reports about caseys steakhouse am going on sat 17

any body here any reports about caseys steakhouse am going on sat 17

Have they a vegan option?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mileyjessie

went to la palma 2 weeks ago , 4 of us, food so so so bad unreal. cost 200 and we even refused to pay for one main. wrote letter of complaint 2 weeks ago to manager and owner and still no reply, not very good customer service one would say. keep ur money folks. service great but poor poor quality food

mozattack wrote: »
    Did the Early Bird the other day and it was scrum - had a lovely tomato and fish soup, rib-eye steak and creme brulee. The other half came and the total bill was €55 including a glass of wine.

How bad..

(was there at xmas party too and it was fantastic - shame can't afford to do a la carte there :p)

i may add i felt so badly let down i joined boards and this is my first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sorry to hear that boy/girl

Never had a problem in La Palma, always rate it as my favorite Italian restaurant in the town, as you rightly point out the service is excellent, and for me the food has never been anything but excellent

Off night possibly?

no wouldnt say an off night no to be honest
    no reply from letter for 2 weeks so that wud suggest 14 off nites
    they should at least have the decency to reply to a posted letter to their premises.
    the food was just poor from start to finish and for 2 hundred bucks jeez ud expect a lot more... surely....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭decies

Was in jade palace last night. Had the sizzling fillet steak . Thought it was a bit grizzly to be honest . Spring roll and eclairs were grand .

• Advertisement

no wouldnt say an off night no to be honest
    no reply from letter for 2 weeks so that wud suggest 14 off nites
    they should at least have the decency to reply to a posted letter to their premises.
    the food was just poor from start to finish and for 2 hundred bucks jeez ud expect a lot more... surely....

I too used to go in there weekly and gave up after 3-4 poor nights. Up to last year when you arrive you used to get bread and some dips (Pesto/olive oil and balsamic/etc/) then they just stoped doing them, why I have no idea as it was always nice to get something to nibble on while reading the menu.

Another night I arrived in at 9pm without a booking (but I was a regular) andthere was 4 other people only in the restaurant only to be told that the kitchen had closed.....at 9pm?

I just felt that like a lot of once "Good" Waterford restaurants they seem to have given up instead of working that bit harder to keep customers happy.

Don't think I'd go back again even though it too used to be my fav Italian in Waterford.

Sorry to hear they never even replied, you should give them a phone and see what they say. I personally will never pay for food that is not up to scratch and if the boot was on the other foot I would never charge for poor food either.

Advertisement