Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chipinchaw

i got an A1 in this English essay that i wrote on Romeo and Juliet, thought it might be useful :P

Identify a hero, heroine or villain from a play you have studied. Explain why, in you opinion, this character deserves the title. Support your answer with reference to the play.

The play I have studied is ‘Romeo and Juliet’ by William Shakespeare. In my opinion, I think that Juliet Capulet is the deserving heroine in this play, because of her development as a character throughout it, immense love and loyalty towards Romeo, and her maintenance of composure throughout the play.

When we are first introduced to Juliet, she seems like a submissive and obedient daughter to the Capulets. ‘Madam I am here, what is your will?’ When asked of her ‘disposition to be married,’ she is uninterested in it, and doesn’t seem ready to love anyone yet. She is ready to find love when it comes to her. ‘I’ll look to like, if looking liking move, but no more deep will I endart mine eye, than your consent gives strength to make it fly.’ She will try to love her suitor, Paris, for her parent’s sake, but doesn’t seem wholehearted in her agreement. However, when she meets Romeo, she instantly falls into a deep and passionate love for him. ‘O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?’ and emerges as a completely rejuvenated character. ‘Deny thy father, and refuse thy name, or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, and I’ll no longer be a Capulet.’ She has become more light-hearted and lively, although she hasn’t let the excitement get the better of her, and worries for Romeo’s safety in the balcony scene (act 2 scene 2). ‘And the place death, considering who thou art, if any of my kinsmen find thee here.’ She maintains the aware and mature side of her, which we see beforehand, but in marrying Romeo, has now become more determined and strong-willed, all suitable traits for a heroine.

She is not afraid to speak her mind when she has to, and will go to all measures to be loyal to her husband. ‘Shall I speak ill of him that is my husband? Romeo lives, that Tybalt would have slain; and Tybalt’s dead, that would have slain my husband.’ She has immense loyalty and fidelity to Romeo. So much so, that she puts herself into a drug induced sleep to fake her death, to avoid a bigamous marriage to Paris. ‘To live an unstain’d wife to my sweet love.’ This highlights her courageous and heroic traits of character, and shows the extent of her love of Romeo. She will give everything for her fidelity to him. ‘O! Bid me leap, rather than marry Paris, from off the battlements of any tower.’ This deems her a very suitable heroine.

Throughout the play, Juliet is faced with almost insurmountable difficulties. Yet time and time again she surprises us as she never loses her cool, and maintains her composure throughout the duration of the play. She confronts forces greater than herself without flinching, and even takes on death itself, as her love for Romeo is greater than the horror of death. ‘Shall I not then be stifled in the vault? Romeo, this do I drink to thee!’ Even in the brief moment before her suicide, she doesn’t even hesitate to stab herself, despite the violence required. ‘Yea, noise? Then I’ll be brief O happy dagger! This is thy sheath: there rust, and let me die.’

In Conclusion, I strongly believe that Juliet is the only true heroine in this play as she has developed from a submissive and dutiful little girl to a tenacious and courageous young woman, has been continuously loyal and loving towards Romeo, and has showed us that she has unbelievable self control and bravery, even in the chaotic last moment of her short life.

:):):):)

i have a recommendation question which i got a B1 in for romeo and juliet if anyone is interested :P :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

hi could some one help me with english, i am hopeless at personal writing and giving my opinion, i got 30 out of 70 in the mock, any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

Is it just me or does love come up every year in the studied poetry for Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

Lor1963 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does love come up every year in the studied poetry for Irish?
    eh yeah! Did you not realise that yet? We knew that in September that's why we do Subh Milis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

xfabgalx wrote: »
    eh yeah! Did you not realise that yet? We knew that in September that's why we do Subh Milis

So do we :D We're also doing An Blascaod Mor Anois(anyone have a sample answer for that?) and An Tigh Nua.Anyone else doing Ecstasy,A Thig na Tit Orm,Dioltas An Madra Rua or An t-Adh? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone have notes on Subh Milis for love? In class we're doing a different poem but I'd much rather have a topic e.g love that is guaranteed to come up!

Subh Milis le Séamas Ó Néill.

Mothúcháín an dáin: Fearg, grá, uaigneas
    Téamaí an dáín: timpeallacht, saol an duine, grá, athair

Subh Milis Sample Answer

(i) Is é an dán a roghnaigh mé ná Subh Milis le Séamas Ó Néíll agus is é an téama a
    roghnaigh mé ná athair.

(ii) Déanann an dán seo cur síos iontach ar an ngaol atá idir athair agus a mhac agus an
    grá atá ag an bhfile dá mhac féín.

Tháinig an file abhaile lá amháin agus chonaic sé subh milis ar bhaschrann
    an dorais. Tháinig fearg air ach ní raibh sé bhfad crosta mar thosaigh sé ag smaoineamh
    ar an lá a bheadh a mhac imithe amach sa saol mór agus bheadh seisean fágtha ina aonar
    agus uaigneas air.

"Mar smaoinaigh mé an lá
    A bheas an baschrann glan"

Léiríonn Séamas Ó Néill an méíd grá atá aige dá mhac. Tuigeann sé go mbeidh ar a mhac
    an baile a fhágáíl lá amháin agus tá sé sásta ligean dó dul. Tá sé chun taitneamh agus
    spraoi a bheith aige lena mhac nuair is féidir leis.

"Agus an lámh bheag
    Ar iarraidh."

Tuigeann sé go bhfuil an saol seo an-ghearr. Níl a mhac ach a iasacht aige agus
    tá sé chun sult a bhaint as anois nuair atá sé fós aige. Is cuma
    leis má tá an teach salach nó glan a fhaid is go
    bhfuil sé féín agus a mhac ag réiteach go maith le chéile.

Lor1963 wrote: »
    So do we :D We're also doing An Blascaod Mor Anois(anyone have a sample answer for that?) and An Tigh Nua.Anyone else doing Ecstasy,A Thig na Tit Orm,Dioltas An Madra Rua or An t-Adh? :D

Click "Search this thread " and type in an t-adh and look for my entry under posted by xfabgalx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

xfabgalx wrote: »
    Subh Milis le Séamas Ó Néill.

Mothúcháín an dáin: Fearg, grá, uaigneas
    Téamaí an dáín: timpeallacht, saol an duine, grá, athair

Subh Milis Sample Answer

(i) Is é an dán a roghnaigh mé ná Subh Milis le Séamas Ó Néíll agus is é an téama a
    roghnaigh mé ná athair.

(ii) Déanann an dán seo cur síos iontach ar an ngaol atá idir athair agus a mhac agus an
    grá atá ag an bhfile dá mhac féín.

Tháinig an file abhaile lá amháin agus chonaic sé subh milis ar bhaschrann
    an dorais. Tháinig fearg air ach ní raibh sé bhfad crosta mar thosaigh sé ag smaoineamh
    ar an lá a bheadh a mhac imithe amach sa saol mór agus bheadh seisean fágtha ina aonar
    agus uaigneas air.

"Mar smaoinaigh mé an lá
    A bheas an baschrann glan"

Léiríonn Séamas Ó Néill an méíd grá atá aige dá mhac. Tuigeann sé go mbeidh ar a mhac
    an baile a fhágáíl lá amháin agus tá sé sásta ligean dó dul. Tá sé chun taitneamh agus
    spraoi a bheith aige lena mhac nuair is féidir leis.

"Agus an lámh bheag
    Ar iarraidh."

Tuigeann sé go bhfuil an saol seo an-ghearr. Níl a mhac ach a iasacht aige agus
    tá sé chun sult a bhaint as anois nuair atá sé fós aige. Is cuma
    leis má tá an teach salach nó glan a fhaid is go
    bhfuil sé féín agus a mhac ag réiteach go maith le chéile.

A life saver! Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aineeck

please tell me someone has good notes on goodnight mr tom ? cant find any anywhere and my teachers are just not good enough, please?

• Advertisement

does anyone have any good tips on the french or irish listening ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DeltaXrayZulu

Is this for leaving cert aswell or just junior?

aineeck wrote: »
    does anyone have any good tips on the french or irish listening ? :P

Frech: it will ask you the alphabet so know that, it will also ask you a telephone number and weather, they come up every year, now for tho other stuff reall you just have to know everything, know jobs, ways of transprt etc

Irish: know all the question form, cathain, cá, cen chuige, etc and know towns and main vocab, your book should cover all the vocab well

Is this for leaving cert aswell or just junior?

it is mainly a junior cert thread but if you are doing the leaving some of the notes on langauges could be useful as there is no set syllabus

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Frech: it will ask you the alphabet so know that, it will also ask you a telephone number and weather, they come up every year, now for tho other stuff reall you just have to know everything, know jobs, ways of transprt etc

Irish: know all the question form, cathain, cá, cen chuige, etc and know towns and main vocab, your book should cover all the vocab well

thanks a million ! :)

does anyone have some essays for the personal writing section for english ? :P would be greatly appreciated ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Good luck to everyone in the JC next week c:
    I have loads of notes but they're all in Irish so I doubt they'd be any help, but the English notes here are excellent.

WHY DIDN'T I LOOK AT THIS MONDAY NIGHT, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HIGHER MARKS IN MY SUMMER TESTS, OH MY GOD I HATE EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IWazEre1

Does anyone have notes for Religion specifically Islam. As I need to study this the most. I will put up a few of my History essays if I have a chance. Plus, I may be able to include pointers for the Spanish letter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caoimh.e

Does anyone have any themes for an t-adh by Padraid O'Conaire? I badly need them :/
    But thanks for all the notes. They have been a great help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ClaireGeraghty

Islam Notes
    -the founder of the islam religion is Muhammed.
    -When muslims speak our write his name they usually say "Muhammed ,peace be upon him"
    -No image of the prophet may be painted or drawn, this is a way of showing respect.

-Muhammed: Born in Mecca in Saudi Arabia and he was orphaned as a child and reared by his uncle family.Muhammed became a camel driver and trader in his uncles business.he was honest and trustworthy.He met many trader and he talked to the about his beliefs and customs.When he was 25 he married a rich widow called Khadijah.He had 6 children.

-mecca was a very religious area for the people of arabia .the arabs believed in good and bad sports they worshiped many carver images of their many gods .theses imagers were situated in the ka'ba.Pilgrams cowed around the ka'ba.Traders sold their goods in the market.Muhammed was troubled by what he saw.trader were dishonest to there poor.There was a lot of fighting and drinking.Women and kids were treated very badly.Muhammed often went to the hill (mount hira) where he could think and pray.
    He was always a religious man but didn't worship all the gods and idols in the ka'ba.He began to think that they were the cause of the troubles,Believing in many gods was leading people astray.He came to the conclusion there was only one god allah. Muhammed was chosen to be a prophet-gods messenger on earth.Muslims celebrated the night of power and excellence.Muhammed wife Khadijah had great faith and became the first convert to the islam religion,as Muhammed continued to receive messages ,Khadijah and other follower learned them by heart.These messages soon became the scribes in the Qur'an

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Off to get all my islam stuff ;)

Islam- The Islam religion began in Saudi Arabia which was known as Mecca back then. It was founded by the prophet muhammad 1500 years ago in Mecca.

Muhammad- Born in Mecca in 570CE. His uncle brought him up as his parents were both deceased. His uncle was a rich camel driver. Muhammad worked with his uncle as a camel driver. He was extremely honest and trusthworthy. When he was 25, he married a rich widow called Khadijah. They had 6 children together. He became very succesful.

Mecca- This was a busy market place but some of the traders were very dishonest and treated women and children really badly. Too much time was spent drinking and gambling and fighting. Muhammad hated seeing this so he would take off to Mount Hira to think and pray. He worshipped only one God not idols or Gods like others. He came to the conclusion that there was one God, Allah. One night the angel Gabriel came to him on Mt Hira He was told that there was only one God- Allah. Muhammad had been chosen to be God's messenger. He rushed home unsettled and immediatley told Khadijah. She was the first converter to the Islamic faith.

Muhammad preached that God's message was true. Some of the messages stated- There was only one God, women and children must be treated with respect, wrong doing would be punished in the next life, everyone must listen to Muhammad. This message was detested by traders in Mecca. Fairness and honesty would reduce profits so they threatened Muhammad to stop preaching Allahs message. He feared for his life and fled with other followers during the night to Medina.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ohsurelook

Does anyone have a list of quotes from The Field.

Cos our teacher is poo and gave us none

In 622CE Muhammed left the city during the night. The followers came too and they went to Medina. This was the beginning of a new religion in Islam. It marks the first day of the first year of the Islamic calender.

Medina- They were welcomed in Medina. He preached his message. The first muslim community was in Medina. A mosque was built as a place of worship and prayer. The rules of Islam was the rules of Medina.

The Ka'ba- 8 years later Muhammad went back to Mecca. The city was surprised. He went to the Ka'ba and removed all idols and statues. This was to be a shrine for Allah. Everyone converted. Muhammad died in Medina 2 years later. He was 62.

Sacred text of Islam- The hadith is another sacred text. Its a document of faith the word of Allah. The hadith is a collection of sayings and teachings from the life of Muhammad. The Qur'an is the direct word of Allah.

The Qur'an- States clearly what Muslims would believe and how they should live. Its wrote in Arabic. From right to left. It begins at the last page. Divided into 114 Sur'ahs (chapters) A muslim is expected to know at least 7 or 8 of these off by heart. All muslims must read the Qur'an every day and there must be a copy in every home. The Qur'an is placed on a special stand wrappped in cloth and placed on a high shelf. Muslims must wash there hands before reading it.

Muslims believe- Only 1 god. Allah has 99 names etc the forgiver. They believe in Angels and god gives messages to his angels who in turn delivers them to prophets. They believe in the sacred text. They believe in prophets like Muhammad. They believe in Judgemennt day after death they will all be judged the good goes to heaven bad hell. Belief in pre destination- Muslims think Allah knows what will already happen.

The 5 pillars of Islam-
    Belief- No God but Allah and prophets of Allah. Muslims say this as much as they can each day
    Prayer (Salat)- 5 times a day prayer. On fridays they pray in the mosque especially.
    Charity(Zakat)- 2.5% of savings is given to charity every year.
    Fasting (Sawm)- Fasting from sunrise to sunset during Ramadam.
    Pilgrimage (Hajj)- Holy pilgrimage. A muslim is expected to go at least once in there lifetime.

Prayer- Keeping in touch with God. Must be done 5 times a day for Muslims. They pray in the morning, midday,afternoon,sunset and before ved. Can be done alone or together with a group.

Salat- Before the salat, muslims must get ready for worship.Remove shoes. Perform wudu (wash hands head and feet ) Stand on a prayer mat and face mecca.

The Rak'ah- Person stands for a sign of listening to God. The person bows as a sign of respect. They bow low touching there forehead to the ground as a sign of obediance and will of God.

ohsurelook wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of quotes from The Field.

Cos our teacher is poo and gave us none

If you look only a few pages back I typed out field charachters and there should be qoutes to go with each character :)

The Mosque- This is the place of worship. This is where people bow down in the presence of God. A specially build mosque is in a rectangular building with a dope shaped roof. The dome represents the universe that Allah has control over. In the corner of the mosque there is a minerat. This is where the cryer stands and calls peopel for prayer. When people arrive at the mosque they enter a courtyard. Shoes removed and heads covered for respect.

Main prayer hall is nearly bare. No altar, seats, pictures, flowers or statues. Walls in mosques are covered beautifully in Qur'an qoutes. Floor is covered in deep carpet. Small arch in one called the mirab it points towards mecca. Only peice of furniture is the minbar its like a puplit. Sermons preached here.
    Friday is the holy day. Men and women dont pray together and the imam is mosque leader.

Pilgrimage- Hajj is main pilgrimage. Lasts for 5+ days. 5 stages.-
    Mecca- Pilgrims stop outside Mecca and perform wudu. Everyone changes into white clothes to show everyones equal and a special prayer is sed.

Ka'ba- Arrive in mecca go straight to Ka'ba. Work around it 7 times in procession. Dark cloth with qritten words from the Quran covers the outside of Ka'ba from top to bottom.

Hills of safa and marafat- Pilgrims then hurry 7 times between these 2 hills in prayer. Hills connectedtlo a long corridor. Pilgrims take water from the ZamZam located near the Ka'ba.

Plain of arafat- 24km from Mecca. They stand there for a ful day listening to sermons and prayers. This is where Muhammad preacched his last sermon. This is where adam was forgiven too.

Pillars at Mina- Stones are thrown at the 3 pillars of mina. This is where Muhammad brought his son to be sacrified. Its there way of showing they reject all evil and follow Allah. A sheep is sacrified in memory of the son Muhammad was going to sacrifice. Marks end of pilgrimage.

Ramadam- Holiest month. Reminds muslims that no matter what Allah comes before all. Fasting occurs. Muslims spend extra time at prayer reading the qur;an or in the mosque. Eid-Ul-Fitr marks the end of Ramadam. Its a 3 day festival. Its a joyful festival. On the last night of Ramadam all Muslims go outside and see the new moon, This marks end of Ramadam. Next day all families attend the mosque for prayer in there best clothes. After prayers families go home for a big breakfast and they visit relations. There are partys, homes are decorated, presents and cards give. Special cakes and sweets are eaten. The next day all muslims visit the cemetrys. Noone is forgootton

Eid-Ul-Adha- 2 months after Eid-Ul-fitr. Celebrated at end of Hajj. Its a festival to show Abrahams willingness to sacrfifice his son for Allah. Muslims who areent in mecca celebrate in there local mosques for prayers and listen to sermons. An animal is sacrificed. After the prayers families have a special meal For the next 3 days gifts and cards are exchanged.

Birthdays- A child is a gift from Allah. The first word they hear when they afre born is Allahs name . After the creed is recited a peice of honey or sugar is placed on the childs tongue in the hope the child grows up as a sweet and honouable muslim.
    The Aqiquh is whena baby is 7 days old a naming ceremoney takes place.The baby is dresed up. Male babys are circumcised. Babys hair is cut and its weight in gold or silver is given to poor. Baby gets a name associated with Allah or Muhammad. An animal is sacrifed to give thanks to Allah for the baby. Meat given to poor.

Marriage- More like a contract. Its a legal agreement between2 families usually arranged by parents. A dowry is given from the grooms family to the brides. Wedding can be held at the mosque or at the brides home. Ceremonial clothes worn,its a very glamerous occasion. Short and simple. Sign the marriage contract after trhere is a meal and reception.

Death- When a muslim dies they hope that the last word they hear is Allahs name liek when they were born. Burial takes place 24hrs after death. Body is wrapped in white sheets and everyone gathers for prayer.

Islam division- There was a disagreement abouit the leaders in the muslim communities. One group thought it should be someone from Muhammads tribe. This was someone from the Sunni tribe. 90% of muslims today are sunnis. Folow Muhammad. Another group thought it should be from Muhammads family. This person was from the Shi'ah muslims. 10% of muslims are this. Take all of the Qurans words literally.

Thats all my notes on Islam i wrote out myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

any notes for To Kill a Mocking Bird or The Merchant of Venice please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭briant16

Anybody have a sample answer on Eoghanin na nEan?I've one but its too complex!

any notes for To Kill a Mocking Bird or The Merchant of Venice please? :)
    i have lots of notes on both, could you please tell me exactly what you want i will do them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

about characters (one or two) in The Merchant of Venice and the trial scene please :)

Advertisement