Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

Thanks and some Irish is on last page! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

The plantation of laois and offaly (1556)

person in charge: Queen mary Tudor

The immediate cause: the O'mores and O'connors frequently raided the pale. The english found it hard to control

The plantation: 2 thirds or o'more and o'connors territory was set aside for planters. the land was divided into two counties. Each planter got a farm of around 360 acres.
    o'connor's was called queens county( now laois) and a town called maryborough(now Daingean) was built

o'more's land was called king's county( now offaly) and a town called philipstown( now Portlaoise) was built

in each county a "sheriff" was appointed to enforce the common law and to ensure each town had a courthouse and a gaol

The munster plantation (1586)

person in charge: Queen elizabeth 1, a protestant

queen elizaberth quarrelled with the "fitzgeralds of Desmond" for 3 reasons

1. for hundreds of years the fitzgeralds ran munster without interference from England but when queen elizabeth tried to enforce common law they did not give in without a fight
    2. they were catholic and did not want to become protestant
    3. "adventures"( descendants from norman lords) arrived and were claimng land and the lords of munster were worried they would lose all there land
    immediate cause: they finally rebelled in 1579 and after 4 years they surrendered and elizabeth confiscated all their land.

The plantation:the land was given to undertakers who promised to follow the protestant religon, not rent to irish , to build a castle and employ soliders and to bring in english tenant/servants. they were given estates of 4000,6000,8000 or 12,000 acres.

result: it failed as not many english came over and they rented land to irish tenants

The plantation of Ulster

personm in charge: King James 1

The immediate cause: Hugh O neill of tyrone and hugh o donnell of donegal fought a nine year war but were defeated at the battle of kinsale, 1601 where they joined with a small spanish army. after this the leaders left ireland (flight of the earls) King James declared them traitors and declared to plant their land.

the plantation: 5 million acres were planted in the counties of Donegal,Derry,Armagh,Cavan,Fermanagh and Tyrone. they land was rented to 3 types of groups. they were:-
    Undertakers. Scottish and English landowners. They got estates of 2000 acres and paid £5 per 1000 acres and could not rent to irish.
    Servitors: they served the king as officals or soliders. they got estates of 1,500 or 1000 acres and had to pay £8 per 1000. they could rent to irish
    Loyal irish:they were irish who stayed loyal to the king. they got estates of 1000 acres and had to pay £10.

Results:
    • King James persuaded twelve london companies to invest in derry, they divided the land between them and called it "londonderry"
    • by 1640 about 40000 undertakers came over
    • they brought in common law
    • most of the settlers were anglican or presbyterian
    • they built new roads to increase trading, grew more crops and had less animals ans det up markets and fairs
    problems:
    • They seperate religon divided the people
    • any undertakers broke their agreement and did not build proper defencea
    • attacks were common on the undertakers

soryy i know that it is not what you asked for but its good to know, tomorrow i will do the cromwellian plantation, a settler in a named plantation and a native irish landowner who lost land in a plantation.

Thats no problem at all! Hope you saw the Irish stuff I put up will put more up in a while. Thanks so much for those!

xfabgalx wrote: »
    Thanks and some Irish is on last page! :)

thank you, you wouldnt have any high quality storys or letters for any title, i will finish the rest tomorrow and i also have a good few phrases if you would like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭briant16

Sample answer for operation Barbarossa,battle of Britain or d days landings !?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

Sup lads.. I'm really de-motivated about studying, so if anybody wants any notes for English,Irish,Maths,Geography,French,Science,Business,TG,Woodwork ..just ask and I'll type em up..that way I get some revision done!! :L

Sup lads.. I'm really de-motivated about studying, so if anybody wants any notes for English,Irish,Maths,Geography,French,Science,Business,TG,Woodwork ..just ask and I'll type em up..that way I get some revision done!! :L

hi would you have any english, to kill a mocking bird or merchant of venice notes, and irish higher sample story/ letter and good phrases and maybe some french vocab aswell, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

briant16 wrote: »

Yeah...I'll put them up later when I get a chance :)

Anyone have a sample answer for An Blascaod Mor Anois?

Lor1963 wrote: »
    Anyone have a sample answer for An Blascaod Mor Anois?
    i have telifis,calua and reiteoig mharfach if u want

• Advertisement

briant16 wrote: »

Battle of Britain

During Hitler's invasion of France,Neville Chamberlain was replaced as Prime Minister by Winston Churchill.After the fall of France,Britain now got ready for invasion.Churchill showed great determination to fight and encouraged British people to resist.Hitler prepared his invasion plan of Britain.which was code-named Operation Sea Lion.He knew that he had to gain control or the skies over the English Channel first.This led to the Battle of Britain between the British Royal Air Force and the German Luftwaffe.

German Messerschmitts,Stukas and Heinkels took off from France,Belgium,Holland and Norway.Their plan was to attack airfields and radar stations in Britain and to defeat the RAF.Hundreds of German aircraft attacked Britain daily in August and September 1940.One day alone-the Day of the Eagle(13 August)-0almost 1,500 planes attacked Britain.

During the Battle of Britain,the RAF lost many aircraft and pilots,and the pilots who survived were exhausted.But the Spitfires and Hurricanes of the British matched the German planes.The British also had radar.This gave the RAF the advantage of knowing when and where the Luftwaffe aircraft were going to attack.

Then the Germans switched their attacks to cities,which gave the RAF a chance to recover.In the middle of September,Hitler postponed the invasion of Britain 'until further notice'.This was Hitler's first defeat.

Operation Barbarossa(1942-1945)

Hitler looked on Communist Russia as his greatest enemy and he planned to destroy it.He also wanted to create lebensraum(living space) in Eastern Europe for the Third Reich.He ordered the German army to attack Russia on 22 June 1922 in Operation Barbarossa.He used blitzkrieg war tactics in a three pronged attack directed towards the important Soviet cities of Leningrad,Moscow and Kiev.

However,the Russian leader,Stalin,called on Russians to fight the 'Great Patriotic War' against Germany.Stalin also made preparations for the attack by moving heavy industry east of the Ural mountains.As the Russians retreated they used a scorched earth policy. They destroyed crops and communication lines so the Germans could not use them.Hitler's early progress was halted by the Russian winter.Lorries,tanks and aeroplanes seized up and soldiers froze to death on duty.In 1942,Hitler's armies advanced towards Stalingrad.Stalin insisted this city must not be lost.The Russians attacked from all sides and cut off the German army in the city from their supplies.Eventually 200,000 German soldiers were forced to surrendered in February 1943.The German defeat at Stalingrad was a major turning point in the war.

D-Day Landings(Normandy Landings)-6 June 1944

Most of the fighting in Europe was being done by the Russians,so Stlin demanded that the Allies open a 'second front' in the west.America and Britain went ahead with Operation Overlord-the invasion of the continent of Europ on D-Day,6 June 1944.The Allies selected France because of its beaches,shallow water and closeness to Britain.They surprised the Germans,who expected an attack over the shorter sea route to Calais.

On 6 June 1944,General Eisenhower,the commander of the D-Day operations,gave the order to attack.Thousands of Allied Planes bombed the German defences-part of the Atlantic Wall which Hitler had built-while others dropped paratroopers behind enemy lines.At the same time,130,000 soldiers were ready for invasion.Warships and landing craft crossed the English Channel and landed at five beaches code-names Utah,Omaha,Gold,Juno and Sword.Allied troops set up artificial harbors(called mulberry piers) to bring in tanks and trucks,and they built a 'pipeline under the ocean'(Pluto) to supply oil.They were protected by British and American aeroplanes,which controlled the air.

The Allies later advanced across northern France to Paris.The British and Americans suffered a setback in the Battle of the Bulge,when the German army tried to break Allied lines in the Ardennes mountain range in Luxembourg and southern Belgium.But the German advance was quickly halted.

RoRo979 wrote: »
    i have telifis,calua and reiteoig mharfach if u want

No thanks....I'd only get confused :D We did Subh Milis,An Tigh Nua and An Blascaod Mor Anois :) If you have any sample essays or phrases it would be great though :pac: Thanks anyway :)

hi would you have any english, to kill a mocking bird or merchant of venice notes, and irish higher sample story/ letter and good phrases and maybe some french vocab aswell, thanks

Sorry, I do R+J and Roll of thunder hear my cry :/ I will get some of those Irish and french up later though :)

The Cromwellian Plantation

The ruler:
    Oliver cromwell was in charge

in 1639 a row broke out between Royalists and parliamentarians. The irish saw this as an oppertunity and began killing English settlers, they returned to England and gretly exaggerated the stories. The english were angry and when Oliver beat king Charles and had him executed he wanted revenge for the massacres of 1641

in 1649 cromwell landed with 12,000 soliders to drogheda and when it was captures he killed the inhabitants, soon the rest of Ireland was under his control

The plantation: in 1652 cromwell brought in the Act of settlement, this was where if people could not prove they were loyal to cromwell during the war the lost their land. people whose land was taken were sent to the west of the shannon where the land was the worst

results:catholics lost alot of their land but got it back as they outnumbered protestants

priest were executed

Exam Questions

1.A settler in a named plantation:

My name is

and i am from england. I came to Ireland in 1610 because i was granted land by King James 1, in tyrone, one of the six counties planted

This plantation was made possible by the flight of the earlswhere hugh o neill and his ally left ireland.The land of these traitors were confiscated for plantation

I am an undertaker and i got a grant of 2000 acres at £10. this is really cheap i never thought i could have so much land

i had to swear to bring english tenants and craftspeople with me. i Tried bringing people and offering them land at a cheap price but not many came so i had to rent to irish natives even though i was not allowed, but i needed the money.

I also had to swear i would spread the protestant religon and english lawa and customs in ulster. This is not a problem as i am anglican, most of the other settlers seem to be presbyterian though.

i have already built a village around my house and a bawn as it is required. I was happy to do this as the irish are very angry after losing their lands and constantly attack us. they are irish clansmen and they hide in the woods, they use guirella tactics. We call them Tories.

I have based the design on my town on the two big towns, londonderry and coleraine. it has a square in the centre where farmers can sell their produce. it has wide straight roads and it has a courthouse and a gaol which is also required

The soil is very good here and we grow flax to make linen and potatoes. we hope we will be granted a charter by the king, this will allow us to elect a corporation to run the town. it might also allow us to elect a member to the parliament in London

A native irish landowner who lost land in a plantation:

i am sean o neill of tír eoghain, a clansman of the great Hugh o neill. IN 16609 i was driven from my land beacuse of the plantation of ulster. Before the english interfered we raised cattle on our land, Hugh o neill was the leader of the clan but it was the clan that owned the land. a planter names
    now grows on 2000 acres of our land. he has been "granted" the land by king James 1. According to English law he now owns the land and will leave it to his eldest son when he dies

in 1607, Hugh was forced by the british to leave Ireland, this "flight of the earls" gave King Jams 1 an excuse to plant the lands. they land was given to 3 types of people; undertakers, servitors( who had served the king as civil servants or soliders) and loyal irish, who betrayed their own people.

is an undertaker. this means he has undertajen(promised) to keep the land safe and practice the protestant religon. He is not allowed to rent to irish tenants.

He has built a stone castle and a walled enclousure called a bawn. He will need them! My clansmen and I have now retreated to the woods and mountains from where we attack the foreigners. The english and scots live in fear of us. They call us Tories!

ok so this is what i have to offer, i have good science and business notes( except accountancy as that is just practice), i can give french vocab and irish sample stories and phrases. i can write history and geog long questions. Also if anyone would have any irish higher sample stories, phrases, religon long questions( not essay) and french vocab that would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone know how to structure an answer on tension between two characters in a play you have studied? I know the reasons for tension to exist between these characters but I just can't structure it. Can anyone help? I have studied The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare and the two characters are Antonio and Shylock.

Troxck wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to structure an answer on tension between two characters in a play you have studied? I know the reasons for tension to exist between these characters but I just can't structure it. Can anyone help? I have studied The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare and the two characters are Antonio and Shylock.

Paragraph 1...Intro-name novel/play and the author and characters who you're going to talk about

Paragraph 2...Character 1-brief description of the character,no longer than a paragraph

Paragraph 3...Character 2-same as character 1

Then do 2/3 paragraphs on the reasons for /type of conflict(tension)-1 point per paragraph

That structure get's me full marks a lot of the time

Paragraph 1...Intro-name novel/play and the author and characters who you're going to talk about

Paragraph 2...Character 1-brief description of the character,no longer than a paragraph

Paragraph 3...Character 2-same as character 1

Then do 2/3 paragraphs on the reasons for /type of conflict(tension)-1 point per paragraph

That structure get's me full marks a lot of the time

Thanks, I always have the right ideas but it's not in a correct order, thanks a million!

No problem...If anyone wants any English, history,science,music,geography or religion notes just ask,I've lots :D Does anyone have anyone have any sample Irish essays or letter phrases? Thanks :D

No problem...If anyone wants any English, history,science,music,geography or religion notes just ask,I've lots :D Does anyone have anyone have any sample Irish essays or letter phrases? Thanks :D

Could I have a sample letter for anything except a birthday or new principal ?
    I'd like a fashion show or holiday ... please :D

• Advertisement

Science please, Chemistry to be specific. I can't learn it at all, all I understand is Physics, and a bit of Biology. What would be the most important topics in Chemistry to learn and could you give some notes and where should I start? THANKS!

Science please, Chemistry to be specific. I can't learn it at all, all I understand is Physics, and a bit of Biology. What would be the most important topics in Chemistry to learn and could you give some notes and where should I start? THANKS!

Bonding, acid and bases and structure of an atom come up every year.

I'll put up some notes tomorrow.Carbon dioxide,water and oxygen are important to know,especially the chemical formulas and preparation :)

xfabgalx wrote: »
    Could I have a sample letter for anything except a birthday or new principal ?
    I'd like a fashion show or holiday ... please :D
    I have one on the Gaelteacht and one on a holiday! If you want I can put them up after school tomorrow :) Does anyone have a sample answer for An Blascaod Mor Anois? Or a people in history on Albrecht Durer?

ok so this is what i have to offer, i have good science and business notes( except accountancy as that is just practice), i can give french vocab and irish sample stories and phrases. i can write history and geog long questions. Also if anyone would have any irish higher sample stories, phrases, religon long questions( not essay) and french vocab that would be greatly appreciated
    Hey could you put up some of that French vocab and the Irish stories and phrases? Any tips for geography long questions? I can put up some religion if you just tell me what questions/sections you want :)

I have one on the Gaelteacht and one on a holiday! If you want I can put them up after school tomorrow :) Does anyone have a sample answer for An Blascaod Mor Anois? Or a people in history on Albrecht Durer?

I have Durer! :D

Albrecht Durer was born in 1471 in Nurembourg, Germany. He came from a family of goldsmiths but was not interested in the family business. At 15, Durer became an apprentice in a workshop that produced woodcuts and painting. To improve his skills in drawing and use of colour, he visited Italy and other countries.

Durer was unhappy making woodcuts as he wanted to put in extra detail. He began to make engravings. Durer took a sheet of copper and carved a picture onto it to make an engraving. The picture was given detail by thousands of tiny lines. Then ink was put on the copper and printed onto paper. An example of an engraving Durer made was of a hare. He always engraved his initials on his engravings.

Like many Renaissance artists, Durer was interested in nature. He believed that 'art is hidden in nature' and tried to copy nature exactly as he saw it. Durer's painting, "Piece of Turf" is so detailed that you can almost see every blade of grass included in the painting of the layered turf.

At the court of the German Emperor in 1512, Albrecht Durer became chief painter. Even Italians accepted the fact Durer was a great painter. He produced over a thousand drawings and one hundred paintings.

It is thought Durer worked so hard because he was unhappily married. His wife, Agnes, was said to be mean and bad-tempered and he had an arranged marriage. Durer became a Protestant in the Reformation like many Northern Renaissance artists. He died at 57 in 1528.

This is long because our teacher says to aim for a page and a half for homework. You only need 8 SRPs. Our teacher says to included about 10 because some examiners are picky ... and evil :D

Bonding, acid and bases and structure of an atom come up every year.

Great, a place to start. If I can get the hang of Chemistry I could get a B!

The Cromwellian Plantation

The ruler:
    Oliver cromwell was in charge

in 1639 a row broke out between Royalists and parliamentarians. The irish saw this as an oppertunity and began killing English settlers, they returned to England and gretly exaggerated the stories. The english were angry and when Oliver beat king Charles and had him executed he wanted revenge for the massacres of 1641

in 1649 cromwell landed with 12,000 soliders to drogheda and when it was captures he killed the inhabitants, soon the rest of Ireland was under his control

The plantation: in 1652 cromwell brought in the Act of settlement, this was where if people could not prove they were loyal to cromwell during the war the lost their land. people whose land was taken were sent to the west of the shannon where the land was the worst

results:catholics lost alot of their land but got it back as they outnumbered protestants

priest were executed

Exam Questions

1.A settler in a named plantation:

My name is

and i am from england. I came to Ireland in 1610 because i was granted land by King James 1, in tyrone, one of the six counties planted

This plantation was made possible by the flight of the earlswhere hugh o neill and his ally left ireland.The land of these traitors were confiscated for plantation

I am an undertaker and i got a grant of 2000 acres at £10. this is really cheap i never thought i could have so much land

i had to swear to bring english tenants and craftspeople with me. i Tried bringing people and offering them land at a cheap price but not many came so i had to rent to irish natives even though i was not allowed, but i needed the money.

I also had to swear i would spread the protestant religon and english lawa and customs in ulster. This is not a problem as i am anglican, most of the other settlers seem to be presbyterian though.

i have already built a village around my house and a bawn as it is required. I was happy to do this as the irish are very angry after losing their lands and constantly attack us. they are irish clansmen and they hide in the woods, they use guirella tactics. We call them Tories.

I have based the design on my town on the two big towns, londonderry and coleraine. it has a square in the centre where farmers can sell their produce. it has wide straight roads and it has a courthouse and a gaol which is also required

The soil is very good here and we grow flax to make linen and potatoes. we hope we will be granted a charter by the king, this will allow us to elect a corporation to run the town. it might also allow us to elect a member to the parliament in London

A native irish landowner who lost land in a plantation:

i am sean o neill of tír eoghain, a clansman of the great Hugh o neill. IN 16609 i was driven from my land beacuse of the plantation of ulster. Before the english interfered we raised cattle on our land, Hugh o neill was the leader of the clan but it was the clan that owned the land. a planter names
    now grows on 2000 acres of our land. he has been "granted" the land by king James 1. According to English law he now owns the land and will leave it to his eldest son when he dies

in 1607, Hugh was forced by the british to leave Ireland, this "flight of the earls" gave King Jams 1 an excuse to plant the lands. they land was given to 3 types of people; undertakers, servitors( who had served the king as civil servants or soliders) and loyal irish, who betrayed their own people.

is an undertaker. this means he has undertajen(promised) to keep the land safe and practice the protestant religon. He is not allowed to rent to irish tenants.

He has built a stone castle and a walled enclousure called a bawn. He will need them! My clansmen and I have now retreated to the woods and mountains from where we attack the foreigners. The english and scots live in fear of us. They call us Tories!

did u get this last one from a book or something because there's the exact same one on page 3 on this thread

This is a big ask but could anyone be able to give me a two paragraphs relating to the Olympics or Euros for a letter? I have an opening and closing for it and they generally ask something bad/good/you liked. Also, would it be in the past or future? As in the 2008 Olympics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭briant16

This is a big ask but could anyone be able to give me a two paragraphs relating to the Olympics or Euros for a letter? I have an opening and closing for it and they generally ask something bad/good/you liked. Also, would it be in the past or future? As in the 2008 Olympics

Any chance you could post it here ? Thanks

Advertisement