Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thecrammer

Thanks a million guys you've helped me out so much... I want to help too, so tonight I'll post some history/science/geography :P it actually helps me to revise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

briant16 wrote: »
    Any chance you could post it here ? Thanks

My opening paragraph is only saying that I'm on holidays with my family in China(2008) olympics, as well as the usual opening phrases and the closing is saying how it's great here and I hope to be back soon etc. I'm looking for the main skeleton of the letter. Sorry, I'm only looking for a C in Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

Troxck wrote: »
    My opening paragraph is only saying that I'm on holidays with my family in China(2008) olympics, as well as the usual opening phrases and the closing is saying how it's great here and I hope to be back soon etc. I'm looking for the main skeleton of the letter. Sorry, I'm only looking for a C in Irish

Why the **** are you learning about the 2008 olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AoifeK88

If anybody has anything on cheese for home ec it would be greatly appreciated :D

If anybody needs people in history essays I always get full marks for all my essays so pm or whatever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

sports and olympics are tipped by teachers to come up this year because the olympics are on this year. How obvious was that :L

• Advertisement

AoifeK88 wrote: »
    If anybody has anything on cheese for home ec it would be greatly appreciated :D

If anybody needs people in history essays I always get full marks for all my essays so pm or whatever :pac:

Umm can I have the D-day essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

is there any thread on junior cert predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

is there any thread on junior cert predictions?
    There is now.. ;)

Why the **** are you learning about the 2008 olympics?

I have basic Irish, I'm doing it in the past tense and then I will put it into the future, okay? I was asking for tips/help on what I could add.

I have some French Letter notes(basic) and melody/answering phrase for music. Anyone want them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I have some French Letter notes(basic) and melody/answering phrase for music. Anyone want them?
    French letter notes please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭briant16

French letter phases please

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

If you prepare to cover a reasonable range of these questions then the options available to you in the Junior Certificate will allow you to answer this section well with this material.

In order to revise efficiently you need to identify the following:

- Your favourite character and why you like that person so much
    - Your favourite moment in the story and the reason it held your attention so well
    - The opening scene
    - The moment of greatest dramatic tension in the play, the climax
    - How the key problem or question was resolved or concluded

If you select and learn these aspects well then you will have more than enough material to deal with this section of the drama.

French letter phases please

I won't be able to put them up until Friday/Saturday because my friend needs them. Is that okay with you? It's just a simple opening/closing and helpful verbs in the 3 tenses.

I won't be able to put them up until Friday/Saturday because my friend needs them. Is that okay with you? It's just a simple opening/closing and helpful verbs in the 3 tenses.

Ye grand thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

If anyone has got any notes or help points on lord of the flies or much ado about nothing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ye grand thanks:)

Address: From Ireland-(Home town), le 5 mai
    From France-Rennes, le 9mai
    Don't forget that days of the week and months of the year DON'T take capital letters!

Sign-off: Amitiés,
    (Your name)
    Opening paragraph: Merci de ta gentille lettre qui j'ai recue hier(Thanks for your kind letter that I received yesterday). Elle m'a fait grand plaisir(It gave me great pleasure) Désolé de ne pas avoir écrit plus tot mais je suis vraiment occupé en ce moment(Sorry for not having writen sooner but I'm very busy at the moment). Comment vas-tu? Moi, je vais bien(Me, I'm fine)

Conclusion: Voila! C'est tout pour l'instant. Écris moi bientot. Jai hate de te lire.(I look forward to hearing for you)

<b>KEY VERBS</b>
    Faire:To do/make
    Present-Je fais
    Past-J'ai fait
    Future-He ferai
    Useful expressions to be used with faire!
    faire du tourisme-To go sightseeing
    faire du shopping-To go shopping
    Faire mes devoirs-To do my HW
    faire du velo-To cycle
    faire de la natation-To swim
    faire du ski-to ski
    faire de la planche a voile-to windsurf
    faire un promende en bateau-To go on a boat trip
    faire une excursion-to go ona trip (e.g a Paris)
    faire du babysitting-to babysit.

I have the verbs aller and sortir but I'll type them in another post.

<b>POSITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT PEOPLE/THINGS</b>
    C'est génial/super/chouette/formidable-It's great!
    C'était-It WAS
    Ce sera-It WILL BE
    Je suis content-I'm happy
    Je suis ravi-I'm thrilled.
    Il est sympa-He's nice
    Il est gentil-He's kind
    Il est strict-He's strict
    Il est amical-He's friendly(amicale-feminine version)
    Il est facile a vivre-He's easy going
    Elle est une bonne cuisiniere-She's a good cook
    Le match était passionnant- The match was exciting
    Pratique-Practical
    Marrant- Enjoyable
    Décontracté-Relaxing

<b>NEGATIVE</b>
    ennuyeux-Boring
    Difficile- Difficult
    fatigant-tiring

<b>Making suggestions/Invites</b>
    Est-ce que tu veux venir en Irlande?
    -Do you want to come to Ireland?
    Est-ce que tu veux passer deux semaines ici l'été prochain?
    -Do you want to spend two weeks here next summer?
    Si nous allons a match de hurling ensemble?
    -How about going to a hurling match together?
    Nous irons-We will go
    Nous ferons(with a faire phrase)

<b>Thanks for a letter/present</b>
    Merci mille fois pour le cadeau-Thanks a million for your present
    J'adore le maillot, le bleu est mon couleur préfére.
    -I love the jersey, blue is my favourite colour.
    C'était tellement gentil de te part
    -It was very kind on your behalf.

That's all I have for now, sorry. I have a bit more on school, family, verbs and time expressions but this will have to do for now I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

bigben121 wrote: »
    If anyone has got any notes or help points on lord of the flies or much ado about nothing, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://juniorcertenglish.com/Junior_Certificate_English/Lord_of_the_Flies.html

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

Lor1963 wrote: »

oh :D thanks. It looks very good , only if there was the same for much ado..

Does anyone know what you'd have to know on the "The Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921" and how would it come up in an exam? Thanks.

• Advertisement

^Generally need for S6 or a question on who signed it in S.Q.

If S6 then its important for Civil War because Collins saw that the majority of voters in a general election were pro-treaty which meant more people supported the candidates who agreed with the Treaty. Then say what happened in the Civil War.
    Also need in People in History when writing about say, Collins or de Valera.
    Know one or two of the terms.
    Know who signed the treaty, why and what happened at the signing - Lloyd George threatened war again.
    Know why some people didn't like it.
    It also led to the split in Sinn Féin in 1922.

Think that's all!

xfabgalx wrote: »
    ^Generally need for S6 or a question on who signed it in S.Q.

If S6 then its important for Civil War because Collins saw that the majority of voters in a general election were pro-treaty which meant more people supported the candidates who agreed with the Treaty. Then say what happened in the Civil War.
    Also need in People in History when writing about say, Collins or de Valera.
    Know one or two of the terms.
    Know who signed the treaty, why and what happened at the signing - Lloyd George threatened war again.
    Know why some people didn't like it.
    It also led to the split in Sinn Féin in 1922.

Think that's all!
    I have the Civil War semi learnt, same with de Valera.
    I just needed to know where to start, thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

When they ask about Political Developments in the 60s do you just write about Lemass' government?

Anybody have any accounts on the age of exploration handy for Q6?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

So I seen that someone asked for the field notes a while back! I havent seen any so far on this thread so here's some I have! :)

Bull McCabe- As his nickname suggests, ''The bull'' McCabe is as strong as an ox and just as dangerous. His powerful physical presence if often used to intimidate others.Armed with his sturdy ash plant, he is indeed a fearful man, especially when he is angry or agressive. He easily frightens Maggie butler, the bird and Mick Flanagan. After the murder the whole village remains silent despite the impassioned pleas of the Bishop. No-one is prepared to risk the wrath of the Bull.

McCabe is of course first and foremost a farmer. All his life he has struggled with the elements to eke out a precarious livelihood from the land. He loves his fields and his cattle with a feirce passion incomprehensible to an outsider like William Dee. He has been renting the land off of Maggie Butler for 5 years at 40 pound a year. He sees it as his. He is shocked at the idea of grass being buried under concrete. To the bull that is a terrible sin.

There is no doubt that McCabe is a dangerous and violent man. He shot a tinkers pony for grazing on his farm and beat a donkey to death for the same ''crime''. Each time he has walked away scot free with the gardai unable to find any evidence against him. Such a man does not threathen idily. William dee doesnt take him seriously though. However this anger and strength is such that neither he nor Tadhg can stop until there victim is dead.

The bull is more than just a mindless killer. He is a proud man with great pride in his land, his heritage and his son. With his strong personality he dominates all arouund him. Only Dee dares to go against him and he cannot tolerate that.

The bull is a tragic figure. His wife hasnt spoke to him or slept with him in 18 years. He is lonely. He has tryed to win her back by buying her a tv and a new bathroom but she has refused to relent.

The bull has a conscience. He regrets killing the pony and the death of Dee is clearly tormenting him. Immediatley after the murder he whispers an act of contrition into Dee's ear. Most likely the words are an expression of his own repentance for his terrible deed. At the end of the play when he has bought The field, his inner pain is exposed.
    '' The grass wont be green over his grave when he'll be forgotton by all... forgot by all except him!''

Bird O'Donnell- A calfjobber by trade, Bird is a man who lives largely on his wits. He has earned himself the nickname from his habit of whistling but it suits him for other reasons too. The bull says he is like a sparrow because he cant sit still. Like a bird too, He is constantly on the lookout for fresh pickings and ready to exploit any oppurtunity that comes his way

It is clear that his occupation of selling calves for small farmers is not a lucrative one. He constantly scrounges for whiskey. The auction provides him with a way of making a few pounds so he is happy to help. He is willing to sit in the pub drinking away Bulls money if it means Bull has an alibi. However, his poverty is not so desperate to make him accept the seargents offer of 500 pound for information about Dee's murder. He knows the money would only pay for his funeral.

Most of the humour in the play is provided by the bird. He flatters Maimie and gets drink. Most of the characters have little regard for Bird and even less respect. Nevertheless he does try to stop the McCabes from going too far with the beating. He has no love for the law or the seargent and sticks to his story of spending the night with bull. He is of all a survivor.
    '' I have to live, and whats more I have to live in Carraigthomond, murder or no bloody murder''

William Dee- Though born in Galway, Dee has come from england where he has been living for the past 12 years. He has a block making business. He is a confident young man at the age of 28 and very succesful. He has no understanding or sympathy for Bull. Land to Dee is just another commodity, to be bought and sold and used as required. The bull's threats arent taken seriously nor are micks warnings about a boycott.

Dee has great faith in the law. He understands auctions and is thoughoughly farmiliar with proceedings. He easily outbirds the Bull and is eagarly going to buy the field the next day when he returns with his solicitor . He fails to realise how desperatley Bull needs the field. Bull has looked after the land and it has a passage to water. It is Williams blindess to this reality that proves fatal.

There is much to admire about Dee. He is handsome,well built,confident and well dressed. He is extremely polite. Generously, he buys drink for the pub. He is well prepared to give Maggie butler a fair price for the field. He is a loving husband willing to move his business to Ireland for his wife.

Finally, he is a brave man, the only one prepared to take on Bull. All in all, this is what makes him a victim of bull.

Mick Flanagan- A differant kind of business man that Dee. He is greedy and compels his wife to sneak a drink behind his back. He happily cheats Maggie butler fxing the auction by not putting up the bill's so that Bull is the only bidder. He willingly accepts Bull's bribe.

He leaves alot to be desired as a husband. We learn from Maimie that he beats her. Maimie complains of his hygeniene. He beats his wife but isnt brave enough to stand up to Bull McCabe.

He also is a reason for Dee's death. He was an alibi for Bull and Tadgh the night of the murder. After the murder, he maintains his story. However, this isnt the first time he turns a blind eye to Bulls violence. When the blessop brothers beat Broderick he remained silent then too.

Tadhg McCabe- He is the bull's son and completely devoted to his father. He shares his love of the land and of there farm animals. He resembles bull in his strength and physical size. Together they make a fearsome pair. He is every bit as violent as bull. He delivers the final kick to Dee's head that ensures his death.

He appears to be more callous than Bull. He shows no remorse for the death of Dee. The girl he wishes to marry has been chosen because he will inherit acres of land not for her physical attractions. If there is any love in tadgh its reserved for his father and there land.

Maimie Flanagan- She is Mick Flangans wife. She is the mother of 9 children and pregnant with her tenth which she isnt happy about. Her marriage isnt as she imagined it. She is expected to work in the bar and to type up bills for the auctions and be a mother. She is good lucking with a great sense of humour. She is easily flattered by the bird about the lawyers son. Dee is impressed by her and insists on buying her a drink. He praises her as a nice friendly woman.

Though involved by her husband, she despises what has happened. She maintains her silence because she is afraid of the McCabes who she refers to as bullies. She is explains to Leamy her eldest son '' A child makes a prisoner of a woman and I have nine''

Maggie Butler- The owner of the field. She is an old widow. She finds it hard to live on her pension so deicdes to sell her land by fair auction. She is cheated out of her reserve of 800 pound and only receievs 350 of them.

She is a vulnerable woman who lives on her own and she is easily scared of the McCabes. They make threats which shock and terrify her. She refuses to give any informaiton on the murder even though her house is close to where it happened. She is offered protection but she says '' I dont live in the Barracks with the other guards in all the rooms'' She exits from the play desiring only to be left alone.

Leamy Flanagan- Maimies eldest son. Works in the pub on his holidays. Adores his mother and helps her in any way he can. He is an obediant child, yet Mick finds anyway to get at him telling him ''its a daughter you should have been''. He see's many of the men as bullies in the village. The murder of Dee has a deeply disturbing effect on Leamy, he wants to see the culprits brought to justice. He cracks under pressure and goes to live with his aunty in the midlands where he is said to be recovering.

• Advertisement

Seargent Tom Leahy- He is the upholder of the law in Carraigthomond. He is portrayed in the play as ineffective and a bit of joke. The first time we see him he is investigating the death of a donkey. He has no success. He is frustrated by the lack of help from the community.

He isnt entirely blameless though, in the past he has turned a blind eye to beatings. He is seen as a hypocrite who only acts when pressure is applied from outside. He has no conviction to whats right or wrong.

Dandy McCabe- The bulls cousin appears in act 3. He provides Bull with an alibi for the night of the murder too. For him blood is thicker than water. He provides us with moments of entertainment before the killing . He softens the mood before the murder occurs. He shows us exactly how strong the links were in rural ireland.

Advertisement