Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Ball Lineup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Baza210 wrote: »
    Which is worse, Trinity Ball line up or Oxegen...

Oxegen is worse by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

Baza210 wrote: »
    Which is worse, Trinity Ball line up or Oxegen...

Oxegen, cos you're unlikely to be stabbed this year at the Trinity Ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Star_Me_Kitten

I cant stand oxegen... jok of a festival! and thats before the bands got sh!te...

As for Tball, not happy bout the acts... when Mystery Jets and Definately Mightbe are the things I look forward to, I really dont wanna pay 80blips, but its my last year as an undergrad and I only went before in 1st year so....think I will. Eugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

Oxegen line-up is terrible at the minute, but I find it's often the 2nd and 3rd announcements that contain some of the best reasons to go.
    Gonna be up in the morning to get Ball tickets, but for the general craic more than for who's playing.
    Would love if the student body had some kind of input into the line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Two things:

1. Are people seriously impying Boyzone would be better than Dizzee Rascal? C'mon.

2. Everyone in the entire college thinks they could get a better line-up on the same money but at the end of the day it is contingent on a) who's touring at the time b) what will please the most people and c) what will nominally make for a good night for the randomer (i.e. house music, basically). The kind of "rock" bands that the most people are into tend to juggernaut-sized monster rock crap like Muse whose advance would be about a billion times too expensive, and beyond that it gets too splintered to even imagine pleasing much of a crowd.

I could put together possibly my ideal gig line-up with the money Dizzee Rascal is probably getting on his advance alone, but I'd be there by myself, or with loud drunken arseholes wrecking it. So on that level I think the line-up's alright this year.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but a bloody poll wouldn't be too hard would it? I'm sure they weren't the only people touring/cheap enough and willing to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

Yeah, but a bloody poll wouldn't be too hard would it? I'm sure they weren't the only people touring/cheap enough and willing to play.
    They know the tickets are all going to get sold so of course they put in as little effort as possible when it comes to picking the acts. It's Trinners Ball loike, the biggest music fest of its kind in Europe! Who wouldn't want to be port of that!

If they did better acts, the only outcome would be that MCD would make less of a profit.
    Same amount of tickets would be sold (i.e. all of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A friend asked me did I want to go and after seeing the lineup for the first time the answer was a long, drawn out NOOOOOOOOOO.

I'd say there's only about 4 bands I'd like to see there tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Karlusss wrote: »
    Two things:

1. Are people seriously impying Boyzone would be better than Dizzee Rascal? C'mon.

The difference is that Boyzone know their ****e. It might actually be a bit of a laugh if they played. But some egotistical rapper kid from east London - no thanks.
    what will please the most people and c)

You forget that most people are idiots.
    I could put together possibly my ideal gig line-up with the money Dizzee Rascal is probably getting on his advance alone, but I'd be there by myself, or with loud drunken arseholes wrecking it. So on that level I think the line-up's alright this year.

You insult yourself, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Denerick wrote: »
    But some egotistical rapper kid from east London - no thanks.

There's nothing funny or cool about refusing to respect good musicians just because they don't fit the social image which you've created for yourself.

Dizzee isn't one of these Hollywood made rappers talking about their limos and their chains, Boy In Da Corner was a brilliant album, in which he sung about personal problems in his life. He brought grime into mainstream popularity, and his chart collabarations are better than most of the other top 40 stuff out there.

Trolling is funny sometimes, but this all musicians are shit except the ones I like mindset infuriates me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

He also puts on a great live show, including pretty eclectic re-works and collabs (anyone see Jool's Annual Hootenanny?). The guy works hard to entertain and you have to respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

According to twitter all the Trinity Ball ticekts have been allocated with the online booking system.

If this is true, Trinity Ball is technically sold out, and was so after 4 hours.

The tickets allocations last for 3 days and then lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

According to twitter all the Trinity Ball ticekts have been allocated with the online booking system.

If this is true, Trinity Ball is technically sold out, and was so after 4 hours.

Here's hoping my brother bothered himself to book the tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

What's the budget for the Trinity Ball? How much does Dizzee Rascal command for a night? What's MCD's cut? How much input does the ents guy have?

Trinity ball is ****. TBH i've only myself to blame for that. Spend too much time on the drama, getting tickets for people, getting drink, doing stuff. Then I end up totally hammered by midnight and become completely disillusioned with the fact all the guy in hi-vis are *****, the bands are ****, the drink is expensive, the girls are emptyheaded spas, the guys are all drunk buffoons and all my friends are **** craic. end up sober by around 7am eating a ****ty breakfast roll in some ****ty centra wishing i stayed at home and saved my self a fortune.

if i was going to go again, i'd drink less and do loads of drugs and just blend in with all the ****.

Actually it's good if you nab one of those wans with the colourful bracelets and go back to their room afterwards to ride your hangover off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Currently there's been more applications than actual tickets, so its the first people to pay that get them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

There's nothing funny or cool about refusing to respect good musicians just because they don't fit the social image which you've created for yourself.

Dizzee isn't one of these Hollywood made rappers talking about their limos and their chains, Boy In Da Corner was a brilliant album, in which he sung about personal problems in his life. He brought grime into mainstream popularity, and his chart collabarations are better than most of the other top 40 stuff out there.

Trolling is funny sometimes, but this all musicians are shit except the ones I like mindset infuriates me.

My sister and a friend of mine adore's Dizzee and thus I have been exposed to his music. Not my cup of tea. He would be tolerable (As in a live act) if he wasn't such an egotistical twat to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Heard this earlier and found it mad. All I've heard is people giving out about how useless the line-up is (and that's not just from here on Boards, it'd be a bit mad to assume that boards accurately represent the entire TCD demographic, or even a majority). Yet as far as I remember it sold out quicker than last year, and people were slightly happier with that line up? Amirite?

Question for the older heads here.

Is getting tickets for this thing always this disorganised? I mean, this is my first exposure to the thing and to have a line of people stretching past the exam hall waiting in the rain was bloody ridiculous.

How hard would it be to do the thing online or through ticketmaster? God know s there's enough profit being made on it to put a decent structure in place rather than the shambles at the minute.

The whole idea that the reservation number guarantees you nothing is a joke tbh. The sooner it's all online the better tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

So has the whole thing sold out completely now?
    Not just the online sales I mean, the one's you buy from the SU in person too?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

Is getting tickets for this thing always this disorganised? I mean, this is my first exposure to the thing and to have a line of people stretching past the exam hall waiting in the rain was bloody ridiculous.

So you've a problem in that you had to queue up to buy a ticket? Several thousand tickets were sold in the SU Shop today and you're complaining that there was a queue?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

So has the whole thing sold out completely now?
    Not just the online sales I mean, the one's you buy from the SU in person too?

According to Ents on facebook....

"The remaining tickets will be on sale again tomorrow from 9am.

There are very few left. They will be sold on a first come first served basis for those who have already applied. note that there are more applicants than available tickets"

So you've a problem in that you had to queue up to buy a ticket? Several thousand tickets were sold in the SU Shop today and you're complaining that there was a queue?.

Yes, that's precisely it.

How hard would it have been to have it fully done online?

Not all students have access to a credit/debit card. They're not allowed go to the Ball? Just because you couldn't be bothered getting up early and buying one of the 2,000 tickets that were sold online.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Trinity Ball is a private party. As such one of the stipulations of the agreement allowing it to take place annually is that ticketing remain in the control of the capitated bodies involved (ie the Union and CSC). This is to ensure that Trinity students, alumni and staff are the only people with the right to buy tickets. (and before you start I know that there is a difference between the actuality of who attends and those who have the right to attend).

This is why the tickets are numbered as there have been cases where the identity of the person who brought a guest who became somewhat troublesome was easily found and that person and the consequences were theres. Remember that you are responsible for your guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

I agree its not fair to make it fully online because many students don't have credit cards but its not fair to make them queue for that long either having registered. And its annoying trying to ring up all day to pay by card too, maybe next year they could sell vouchers in the weeks before in the SU with a code, if you want a ticket you can buy one beforehand and register as normal entering your code as payment. If you decide you don't want to go to the Ball/tickets sell out before you get one you can return it and get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

Got up mad early, booked the tickets at 9 from a laptop in House 6 and went down to the shop a few minutes later to a queue of around 10 people. Ever so worth it.
    Miserable day for it to rain.. did they only have one person stamping the tickets for the whole day?

Tarka wrote: »
    Got up mad early, booked the tickets at 9 from a laptop in House 6 and went down to the shop a few minutes later to a queue of around 10 people. Ever so worth it.
    Miserable day for it to rain.. did they only have one person stamping the tickets for the whole day?

They had three.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Question for the older heads here.

How hard would it be to do the thing online or through ticketmaster? God know s there's enough profit being made on it to put a decent structure in place rather than the shambles at the minute.

The whole idea that the reservation number guarantees you nothing is a joke tbh. The sooner it's all online the better tbh.

I had just written a nice long reply to this and my laptop crashed:mad: so here goes again.

Im heading to my 4th ball this year so I guess I just about qualify as an 'older head'. I'll fill you in on my ticket getting experiences for the past three Trinity Balls.

First Ball
    Ents Officer: Barry SomeoneOrOther
    Headliners: Ash, CSS, Director, Hot Chip DJ's, Erol Alkan, Justice, The Blizzards, BoyzNoise, The Enemy, Dr Lectroluv, Aslan, The Pigeon Detectives, Delerentos
    There seemed to be a trend (at least thats what I picked up on from my older friends) that ticket sales had been casual the few years beforehand anyway. This year however was different, there was a mad rush to get tickets at the start and then demand dropped off, with it not selling out up until relatively close to the ball itself. It meant that people (the older heads in particular) could decide whether or not they wanted to go as demand grew and number of remaining tickets fell.

Second Ball (First year take 2!)
    Ents Officer: Ed O'Riordan
    Headliners: Mark Ronson, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Vitalic, Lightspeed Champion, Boyz Noise
    Early demand was far greater than the previous year except continued right up until the tickets sold out. I'm fairly sure that this took only three or four days. I know that quite a few people missed out on getting them as they expected demand to be similar to previous years and didn't make up their minds in time.

Third Ball
    Ents Officer: Nick Longworth
    Headliners: Calvin Harris, Ladyhawke, Vitalic, Fight Like Apes, The Script
    The ball sold out quicker than ever. It took only 48 hours and nearly everyone knew the drill this time around and were all up good and early on the first morning of ticket sales. I wasn't aware of too many who wanted tickets that didn't get them. The queues in Front Square were massive as the tickets sold out, as they were this year.

I have heard people giving out about the fact that there were only 2 lines that you could phone to pay by laser/credit card. This is always the way it is done, at least since I came to Trinity. This year is the first year that there have been internet sales and it is a step in the right direction imo.

I think that if you actually want to go to the ball you would have gotten up at 9am this morning and gotten your ticket nice and early. I paid for mine with a credit card from the comfort of my bed. Fair enough not everyone has a CC but I know that the queue was not too big this morning.

Finally to all the haters, the Trinity Ball is not all about the music. It is a spectacular evening that only comes around but once a year. I don't know how its possible not to enjoy yourself at the ball (barring exceptional circumstances). As I've said, it's not all about the music, it's about having fun with your friends, it's about heading into college on the last day of term and soaking up the excitement and the atmosphere, it's about getting into your tux/suit/dress/whatever and going with your mates or your class to a party/pub, it's about having the craic, it's about bumping into people that you never thought you would see at the ball, it's about seeing Front Square all lit up and looking amazing and it's about listening to and going mad with the hilarious and (more often than not) brilliant tribute bands in front of the Camponile.
    I'm a firm believer in making your own fun so if you are going to the ball, excellent! Have a blast because it's going to be brilliant again (again, again, again). If your not going to the ball, quite simply, hard luck because your missing out

They had three.

:eek: That's so much better!

And Mountain Surfer, cheers for the reply. It's much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Not all students have access to a credit/debit card.

I'm sure they do tbh. How many banks are here handing them out willy nilly in Fresher's week? Certainly if they had the ability to pay by Laser as I'm nearly sure close to all students have, I couldn't envisage any problems.
    Just because you couldn't be bothered getting up early and buying one of the 2,000 tickets that were sold online.

Guess what, paypal doesn't take laser. :eek:

Advertisement