Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Fighters XIII discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well, the dream cancel wiki uses B/f etc so why don't we show this game the respect we show all others and use the communities choice like we do with every other game, rather than engage in this bizarre conversation

Ah, I had assumed the game standard was numbered as it's what the BB lads were using and it was the game they were mad into. Doesn't bother me either way, I was just trying to tell kiki that number notation isn't actually confusing in any shape or form :P

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Yeah were use to the number noations due to BB. At casual its mostly the BB players that picked up Kof so we just used numbers for that as well. I don't mind the other method just use what your most comfortable with. d/f is pretty easy too like.

I still have problem with ssf4 names like jab,strong and fierce and sometimes say lp,mp,hp :D

each to there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ah, I had assumed the game standard was numbered as it's what the BB lads were using and it was the game they were mad into. Doesn't bother me either way, I was just trying to tell kiki that number notation isn't actually confusing in any shape or form :P
    But I have just explained to you *WHY* number notation *IS* confusing.

Plus it doesn't work when you're talking Tekken, either (where 1,2,3,4 are the action buttons).

(-_- ');

@chueytoo: yeah I have problems with old-school SF button names, too. "Forward" should never have entered the lexicon for Medium Kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But I have just explained to you *WHY* number notation *IS* confusing.

Plus it doesn't work when you're talking Tekken, either (where 1,2,3,4 are the action buttons).

Look at your keyboard, there, you are no longer confused by number notation, we've gone over this.

We're not talking about Tekken, why do you keep bringing this point up?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Using numbers to describe directions seems fairly odd, we have words that describe directions.

5C means nothing.
    Crouching light punch is fairly self explanatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

yeah, I know bb uses numbers like tekken but offical kof notation (from forums and such) is directions, just letting ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭powerofscience

yeah, I know bb uses numbers like tekken but offical kof notation (from forums and such) is directions, just letting ya know

If it's the norm to use u,d,b,f etc. then I'll just use that, I've got no problem with it. I was only using numbers because it's what I'm used to.

If it's the norm to use u,d,b,f etc. then I'll just use that, I've got no problem with it. I was only using numbers because it's what I'm used to.

Fully understand man, it's like walking up to a pure sf player and saying "oh vegas bnb is 1 lp, 1 lk, 1mp then ex fba"

I only know vega so sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I find the number method confusing, but from an unbiased point of view I think it's the best way.

My main problem with the FG community from a linguistic point of view; is there isn't any consistency in terminology. We use a lot of different words to describe the same thing, and a lot of the "fighting game" definitions don't actually have crystal clear meanings to differentiate them from a "Normal English Word" that describes the same thing.

236A is a definite thing and genius in it's simplicity, when compared with Quarter Circle Forward, QCF, hadoken motion, fireball motion etc etc

If everyone did use it for all games, we'd be able to lift combos straight off of foreign forums and they could do the same for us.

tl;dr: In a perfect world I wish we had all used the number notation since our childhoods; in the current world I'm happy to try and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

So where can I get this offline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Your best bet seems to be to order it online, Ramza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Maxima is the ultimate Dark Saiki killer.

qcb x c all day and hitconfirm into qcf x 2 ac

dat armour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12281&page=6
    Arturo did an interview with Reynaldo after he won NEC KOFXIII in a truely great fashion.
    One of the questions Art asked: "What would you recommend for new players or players that don't have godlike execution ?" His answer: "Don't do mission mode. I can't even do most of that ****. Just practice simpler variations of it and play the game against friends.".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Maxima is the ultimate Dark Saiki killer.

qcb x c all day and hitconfirm into qcf x 2 ac

dat armour

Surely armour is little use against that all emcompassing counter?

I just whiff a poke just outside of reach so he'll whiff the counter, punish, repeat. Hell, once you get him started you can just poke forever with the right rythym if you have a good normal that moves you forwards.

Dark Ash; get him near corner, get knockdown, sweep, repeat.

Surely armour is little use against that all emcompassing counter?

True, I was playing Maxima against him and basically the armor would protect you from the counter but you would basically whiff the qcb C and then he just grabs you. Much easier I found was to just use Terry and just crouch all day until he walks up to you then you do rising tackle, rinse repeat.

I haven't had much trouble with his counter with Maxima, he just punched through the counter with no effect so I just did it again and it hit, rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ramza wrote: »
    So where can I get this offline?

You might be able to get it in Game (I got one last week, they had none in stock in the Ilac centre one, got them to ring the Dawson St. branch who had one, asked them to hold it for me and walked to Dawson St.), but doesn't seem like there's a large supply of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Completely random thought on that: since you can special cancel a CD on whiff, you might be able to use that to trigger the whiffed counter then special cancel -> whatever and beat his face in for full damage (well, without losing the hit of your armoured attack - assuming the counter still eats the hitbox).

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

They have some in ilac centre ramze got mine today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    They have some in ilac centre ramze got mine today

Cool how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Ramza wrote: »
    Cool how much?

think its 49,99 If i remember right. Since Power bought his a few days ago.

Sorry for double post but just a heads up

#SNKplaymore on Efnet server is a pretty decent IRC chat for KoF discussion

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Lol

Really? Raiden was this broken? That kick wasn't even a super right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Terry has some fun cancels, enjoying him. cr lp cr lk df hp RISING TAKU is a v easy starting hit confirm.

Really? Raiden was this broken? That kick wasn't even a super right?

Nope but fully invincible and piss easy to combo after with. . . . . .

Now it only has like 2 frames of start up inv then you can counter hit him out of it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Enjoying this game alot. Getting use to the timing was tough but after messing about, I have some competence with shen, iori and clark. Any bit of free time I get, i'm playing kof or watching vids. Really brought the fighting game bug back for me.

I've yet to try using my HD meter for hyperdrive mode. Anytime I do, my head just goes into a HIT ALL THE BUTTONS! mode... Should that be my focus or is HD ok to ignore early on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

i had a lot of fun with kof at test your hype.1st time ive ever played the series,
    although the lack of a block button is always minus to me (ye i play mk,big whoop want fight about it?:p) im very tempted to get santa to throw this is my stocking but aparently its hard to find atm?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

i had a lot of fun with kof at test your hype.1st time ive ever played the series,
    although the lack of a block button is always minus to me (ye i play mk,big whoop want fight about it?:p) im very tempted to get santa to throw this is my stocking but aparently its hard to find atm?

I gave up on trying to get it locally, had to go online. It's a great game though, well worth it, the only downside is the netcode but apparently they're working on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

I gave up on trying to get it locally, had to go online. It's a great game though, well worth it, the only downside is the netcode but apparently they're working on it.

ah sure never mind the netcode,used to bad ones,mks is pretty rough at times
    dont bother with online gaming outside playing irish/uk people anymore anyway

ye i had to go the online route to get bb,were did ya get it from? sadly the site i go to for games has it at "eta month delivery" so ill have a gander round drogheda later see if i get lucky

Advertisement