Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Heavy Snow this evening especially in eastern/southern areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rain and sleet for the last 20 minutes which has finally turned to snow. too wet to stick now.

just as i say that it has started to stick in patches:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at the latest radar somebodys getting a lot of something around north Tipp area?

Very slight north of east movement in the showers/that area of ppn so hopefully should be on its way to south Dublin. :D

But not too soon - 4.5c DP 0.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Smokey grey clouds starting to block out the sun in Waterford, 4 deg with a cold breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

A showery band of hail and rain pushed through around 30mins ago. Moved to the north now and look quite impressive on their back edge; more impressive, that it, than they actually were... 3.5c.

It was pure snow here, lots of lying snow here. but it does seem to be melting now. Lots of showers around. I can see a huge shower out towards Tuam way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Looks like a bit of action on the radar now for some, from anyone in that area is snowing falling from that???

Web_radar.gif

Hailstones a little while ago but just rain now :(

12Z ends the cold spell as early as Tuesday with rain for all away from Mountains.
    Roll on Spring, it's too late in the year now for another freeze up!!

quite a change from the tones of your posts on netweather during last week.

i suppose if it's going too be on the wrong side of marginal in the south it may as well get milder overall;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at the latest radar somebodys getting a lot of something around north Tipp area?

Very slight north of east movement in the showers/that area of ppn so hopefully should be on its way to south Dublin. :D

hope we get some thing on this side of the city :D:(

-4.5c in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

snaps wrote: »
    -4.5c in Dublin?

i'd say it +4.5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I can't be sure, but I thought I just seen a flicker of lightning there. There is a shower moving northwards just about a mile to my SE. No thunder so I can't be sure. I think my mind just wants to believe it is true :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

quite a change from the tones of your posts on netweather during last week.

i suppose if it's going too be on the wrong side of marginal in the south it may as well get milder overall;)
    :rolleyes:

I can't be sure, but I thought I just seen a flicker of lightning there. There is a shower moving northwards just about a mile to my SE. No thunder so I can't be sure. I think my mind just wants to believe it is true :o

Well i thought i heard thunder when i was outside trying to get the cats in.

funny you say that. as i thought i saw a flash of lightning earlier on .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I think it might be another case of the crows arse !!! :pac:

Can you see the same shower to the east as me Snaps?, it seems to have sprung up from nowhere. It is quite nasty looking from here.

funny you say that. as i thought i saw a flash of lightning earlier on .

Nacho, those showers that passed here earlier has quite big shower tops visable when the moved away. I am not sure if they are heading your way, but the did seem to be intensifying a little.

As I type, big hail has just started to fall :eek: very dark all of sudden.

Edit: Darkness increasing but hail has turned into just light rain. Temp now down to 2.4c.

Can you see the same shower to the east as me Snaps?, it seems to have sprung up from nowhere. It is quite nasty looking from here.

Yes i posted that report of that shower about 2 pages back mate. I noted it was out your way. We've had some nasty showers today and some actually heavy snow just after lunch which settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Looking at the radar we should have got a lot more precip than we actually did (few miles south of Nenagh). Few snowflakes and hail mixed with rain, very light overall. Stopped now. Almost eerily calm, though. Maybe it's a portent.........

I'm off out to continue my main task for today - moving oak tree. Man, those roots !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

16.30 UKMO radar looking nice! Just hope it starts taking a more northerly track.

3.9c DP -0.2c here now.

• Advertisement

So are these showers what was forcast or is there a more organised band of percip heading in for later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Snaps, could you read their paws and tell us what's in store for tonight?

So are these showers what was forcast or is there a more organised band of percip heading in for later?

It think the forecast is for a band of organised showers. ;)

3.6c DP -0.2c

jprboy wrote: »
    . Almost eerily calm, though. Maybe it's a portent.........

Same here JP. Very calm, eerie and dark at the moment. Showers seem to be popping up all over the place. I think there is some convection going on, hard to believe with temp so low.

Thunder and lightening confirmed....There is a huge shower (Sky as black as coal) to the North of me (Possibly Partry/Castlebar area). Saw a flash and about 8 seconds later the rumble.

There is not a breath of wind either here. Smoke from chimneys going straight up in the air.

Thunder and lightening confirmed....There is a huge shower (Sky as black as coal) to the North of me (Possibly Partry/Castlebar area). Saw a flash and about 8 seconds later the rumble.

Can see a very black shower to my SW now Snaps. Seems to heading your way but hard to tell with the sheer slackness of the wind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Where is Weathercheck?

Looks like the showers will be hitting the East coast earlier then thought based on the latest radar. Don't think that will help the snow chances but we will see.....Meanwhile it's 4C here in North Dublin. That will have to fall a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

3.7 here in Kildare with a DP of -0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The seagulls around here are moving inland in numbers and going absolutley nuts at the moment... whatever that means. Impending snow doom perhaps! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

keep in mind that all visible precip will soon start to shift ESE and then SE. It has been tracking E for the past couple of hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement