Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keen to see what the future may hold!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

interested wrote: »
    check the web for juice recipes ... I know theres some natural things you can do to build yourself back up and help flush the system of the antibiotics ... keep stretching, do some core work .... plot the come back ;)

will do, thanks again interested.

Coached Swim Session

10 x 50m 25m kick/25m FS X 5
    25m kick/25m BC X 5

12 x 150m FS off 4 min, coming in on average 2:45.

Cool Down 200m

Very, very easy session just to get back. In 3 weeks this has been only my 3rd session :eek: In the 10 x 50m I was gasping for air, really struggling. As the session went on however I got stronger and more relaxed.

So last week did not go according to plan. It just didn't feel right and I took the decision early in the week to abandon my plans. It was heart breaking watching the tri in Galway on Sat in my old university. However, it was the correct decision.

Feeling much better now, a little weaker but I am getting there. Started a new core workout, will be doing it 3 times a week right up to Athlone to help me get my strength back. Here is the workout.....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Turbo Session Easy 40 min spinning on the turbo

Felt good, nice smooth stroke.

Core Workout

Found it really good.

3 weeks ago I set out my 3 week plan. It didn't happen for me and I missed two races that I was really looking forward to. I am now ready to push on, more determined than ever, 5 weeks is plenty of time and I am just going to follow my plan with some little changes. Once again, I am keen to see what the future holds :)

Must catch up on how everybody has been doing over the last week, in the morning, I'm wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good to see you getting back into it ElD. Slowly does it indeed and you will be right back up on top of things before Athlone. Stick with the Bi-lat breathing. Its totally worth the commitment. Took me ages to get it but glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Wayhay, welcome back man.
    Thanks for the core link. I have seen it before - thats all I have done with it - watched/read it. Have to do some core work really.
    Hope your training goes well from here on.

Good to see you getting back into it ElD. Slowly does it indeed and you will be right back up on top of things before Athlone. Stick with the Bi-lat breathing. Its totally worth the commitment. Took me ages to get it but glad I did.

Thanks MCOS. Going to continue to include sets of bi-lat breathing, finding it difficult but willing to stick at it.

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    Wayhay, welcome back man.
    Thanks for the core link. I have seen it before - thats all I have done with it - watched/read it. Have to do some core work really.
    Hope your training goes well from here on.

Thanks man. I found that core workout very good indeed. Fingers crossed on the training :rolleyes:

Strength Maintenance

Back in the gym this morning, feeling a little tried, wrecked yesterday after going back to training. Over all felt fine.

Yes, I got it! Really didn't expect it but I now have something major to focus on after Athlone and my hols in Cyprus! Go team Ireland! :D

Yes, I got it! Really didn't expect it but I now have something major to focus on after Athlone and my hols in Cyprus! Go team Ireland! :D

Yeehaa, great stuff. Feckin delighted. Fair play, thats great news, especially after the last two weeks of torture for you. Go team Boards!:D

Weds Morn 2nd June

20 x 25m FS 10sec rest.

100/200/300/300/200/100 100 off 2min/200 off 4:15min/300 off 5min

made 00's and 200's no prob but was way way off the 300, coming in on 5min40sec.

50m kick/50 FS x 8 10 sec rest after kick set/FS off 1 min

Well my fears realised today. Swimming fitness has gone backwards, really did expect this. Was wrecked getting out of the pool but at least I am making a start on it now.

Runways June Duathlon on this evening. As I said before, my Weds night training races have not happened so far this year (only once) so I am doing this this eve. I am in the fast lane but going to try to get moved into the medium. I just want to go through the motions, no pressure on myself. This will be the same attitude I will employ for Athy this weekend. My first Olympic of the season and I wasn't too hot at this distance last year so I certainly don't want to put any stress on myself.

After yesterdays news I am going to have to reassess my seasons goals when I get a chance and also it is time to see where I am re my objectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi El D, just noticed you cycle with the swords group on sat morning too sometimes. im sure i ll see you out one of the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done El D, thats fantastic news, delighted for you!! Are in for the Sprint or Olympic distance there? Thats 3 of us Boardsies so far heading to Budapest now. Sweet. I bet that perked you up :D

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi El D, just noticed you cycle with the swords group on sat morning too sometimes. im sure i ll see you out one of the mornings

That's right Kenny but I haven't gone in 2 months or so but I will be going back in mid July as I prepare for my half iron man. Also starting next Weds I hope to do the clubs races. Hope all's goin well for you dude!

Well done El D, thats fantastic news, delighted for you!! Are in for the Sprint or Olympic distance there? Thats 3 of us Boardsies so far heading to Budapest now. Sweet. I bet that perked you up :D

O man it did! It has really given me a sense of purpose for the second half of the season. I am in the standard distance. My mate that I spoke of in my first post is also doing it. He introduced me to tri and last year I was kinda close but never really threatened to beat him. We haven't gone head to head yet this year but we will and where better to have our grand final than the World Champs in Budapest, days before he sets off to Australia for 3/4 years!

And then there's the 3 boardies! The battles will b fierce! Is Bambaata also goin? I booked my flights yesterday, really looking forward to it. After I return from Cyprus, which I will use as a transition phase, I will return for some base work for Groomsport and then start building for Budapest. Dublin city tri is also in there a couple of weeks before Budapest, ideal prep.

Weds 2nd June

Race Report

Well glad I didn't do a run session last night, needed all energy for tonight. Also I don't have a session planed for tomorrow morning, all part of reintergration week.

Asked before the race could I change to the medium wave but said feck it I'll try it, only cos I have no patience to wait around for 15 mins (when medium wave started)

Run 1

Anyway off I went. The pace was fast and to my surprise I went out much faster than I planed I would. But I felt fine so went with it, settled back into a more comfortable pace. Didn't wear the garmin tonight as I didn't want to be pushing myself too hard, just my stopwatch then. First run around 9min 30sec (ish) (2.7k).

Bike

Was never going to pass too many on the bike as it was the fast wave but did manage to get by 5/6. Had a good battle with an older gent, he had terrific bike handling skills, I'd pass him going up hills and on straights, he'd get me on the more technical bits. He won out in the end and I couldn't catch him on the run.

Run 2

Very difficult. Had a stitch all way round and right calf was cramping. I also forgot my orthotics so runningin my super light runners was like running in bare feet. Thank god the run wasn't that long as the old achilles was feeling the strain. Passed 3 or 4, 3 or 4 passed me. Hot evening and glad to get it done, a new PB too. My best last year-45:24, today 43:10. Will give my splits tomorrow when they are up.

I suppose it was my base training that got me through. Really hope it isn't too hot on Sat or I will die. As my coach said this morning, go through the motions and feel your way into the race, ain't going to put a goal time for Athy as I really don't know what to expect. I would have hoped for 2h15min-2h20min.

Met Needs Training there. He was flying, home in 41 something! Really close to the magical 40. Needs Training? Seems to have plenty done already!

Good to be back racing and looking forward to sleep now. :)

Forgot to say.....anybody up for an OW swim on Friday afternoon? North Dublin preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Forgot to say.....anybody up for an OW swim on Friday afternoon? North Dublin preferably.
    I could do friday evening. Finished work at 6. Macanri is looking for a dip aswell.

nomadic wrote: »
    I could do friday evening. Finished work at 6. Macanri is looking for a dip aswell.

Thanks nomadic. That doesn't suit this week, the only chance I have is early in the day so I will have to go with that. Thanks anyway dude.

El D, no worries, thanks for letting us know anyway. Where will you do this ow swim as a matter of interest?

Not sure Mac, any suggestions? I will do my own research too and let ye know.

• Advertisement

Well, I haven't done any OW swimming yet. But from talking to an OW swimmer in the NAc, he was saying there is a place around Portmarnock beach that you climb down a ladder to whent he tide is in. I can't remember where it was. i will have to ask him again. He said there is an OW group there each Sunday morning and to talk to them.

I was thinking of just going down to Dollymount strand and swimming parallel to the shore for 1/2 an hour and get out and walk back to get the approx distance. Not too sure other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

first off, Many congrats on getting your spot for Budapest El D.

some options for you re: ow
    http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0617&PredictionLength=7

a) bull wall +60 mins either side of High Tide is fine - car parking and changing shed pretty handy
    b) portmarnock ladder mentioned - driving from portmarnock towards malahide the ladder down is a bit past the martello tower on the rhs.
    c) Seapoint - martello tower - swam there recently for the first time in years - facilities are actually really good. Public toilets that are actually relatively clean ... mad eh ;)

Ill be at the bull wall this evening at 6.30.

Thanks mac and interested. I am back to running training this eve on the track so it looks like Portmarknock tomorrow afternoon. The weather is so nice, really looking forward to an OW dip.

Here are my splits from last night:

Run 1 09:43 (47/296)
    Bike 20.17 (37/296)
    Run 2 11:25 (75/296)

Really wish I could have another go at this this year, I know I can do better. As you can see I suffered in the second run.

Another thing I would try is my road bike instead of the TT. The course is up and down quite a bit and there are some technical corners to navigate too. If I had a lighter and better road bike there would be no question.

Thurs Eve 3rd June

Warm Up 4k easy

Main Set 300m/200m x 4
    300m came in at 55 sec - 57 sec
    200m came in at 33 sec - 35 sec

Cool Down 4k easy

Legs pretty stiff after last nights duathlon. Sat in with the second group of runners, coach easing me back into it. Times only 1 or 2 secs off what I was doing.

Coached Swim Session

Friday 4th June

600m 11min 28sec

200m x 8 off 4 min (still easing back) coming in at between 3:42 - 3:52

50m kick/100m kick x 3 50's off 1:30 coming in at on ave 1:10
    100's off 3 min coming in on ave at 2:37

Still feeling unfit in the pool. Coach also nticed I am dropping my left elbow in the catch phase, must remember - "high elbows".

Two positives - (1) kick sets were pretty strong
    (2) i made 3 coached sessions in a week for the first time this year.

Had planned for a stretch/code session this afternoon with jacuzzi after, just to help loosen out the legs, still very stiff this evening. I was going to do an OW swim but decided to leavee it and replace it with the easy gym session. Also planned an afternoon nap. Anyway none of this happened, a neighbour of mine at home passed away and I decided to drive home and sympathise, drive back to Dublin again this eve.

Athy tomorrow, wave 6, usually look forward to racing but not this one. First olympic of the season, going to be hot and bottom line I'm not prepared. I know it wasn't my fault that I got sick but bottom line is I did and missed 3 weeks. But the way I'm looking at it is with my usual, "just do your best man". I will feel my way into the race and get through it, on Sunday I will have a rest day and then next week things should be improving.

Summer holidays today :D;)

Aw man don't be making me jealous - it's well for you teachers.

I have organised to meet nomadic for an OW swim at Bull Wall just after 8. The tide is probably out a bit but we'll see what it's like.

All the best for Tri Athy.

It was a pity that I didn't get in the stretch/core/jacuzzi session in on Friday and that nap too because my legs were so stiff on race morning. It was not a good start. Woke at 5:30am and had my usual breakie. I love race morning and I could feel the excitement building inside me. Looking at last years results I notice that times are a good bit slower overall. Well here is my race report.

Swim

Most say the swim was harder than last year but I found it grand. It was longer or there was more up stream but I seemed to enjoy it even though my googles were leaking! It took me about 2 mins longer than last year to do the swim. I tried like many to keep to the left bank but failed and pretty much zig zagged all the way upstream. Kept to the centre of the river on the downsteam. My swim time was 29 min15 sec (214/681). In the last 100m my calf cramped big time. It was difficult getting out of the water because of it.

T1

1 min 32 sec, fast enough although hindered with cramp.

Bike

As I reached down to put my foot into my shoe my left hamstring knoted into a ball and cramped too! Had to get off and stretch, when I would go to bend the leg the hamstring would cramp. Got on again and tried to go only to have to stop again and stretch. Didn't know what was going to happen. Finally got going after a loss of about 2 mintues. Once I did get going I felt good, fast. Passed loads on the fast flat course. Was constantly worried however that the run would be tortuous because I knew I would be cramping from the start. So I decided to keep the cadence high and spin a lot, I feel I could have gone faster on the bike but didn't for fear that I would pay for it on the run. Bike time 1 hr 9 min 40 sec (183/681), 2 mins faster than last year.

T2

1 min 46 sec.

Run

Didn't realise how hot it was until I got on the run. Had to completely change my running style because at this point both quads/hamstrings/calves were beginning to cramp. I looked like a fast walker! Quick steps, high cadence, still passed a lot of other runners. Having cramps so early in a race (coming out of the water) is not ideal and is tough. But I just reminded myself, this is what triathlon is all about. This is were you find out more about yourself. So I just tried to keep it relaxed and kept putting one foot in front of the other until the end. Run time 47 min 44 sec (207/681). 2 minutes faster than last year.

Overall Time/Place 2hr30min00sec 174th out of 681.

So I gotta be happy over all with a new PB. Last year I was in the top 50%, this year top 25%. So that is encouraging.

Good Points

1) Back racing with no side affects:)
    2) Cardiovascular wise I felt great throughout
    3) Second PB in a week
    4) The feeling that I can do better

Bad Points

1) The cramps! Even last year when I did little endurance work, I never cramped like that before!
    2) The feeling that I can do better

As I said before I love this sport because if you work really hard you get to see the benefits and it feels great. And it works the other way too. This is an endurance sport and I've done no endurance work on the bike or the run in 2 months :eek: I have speed but no endurance. When I was doing my friday afternoon endurance run and my Sat morn cycles I was flying, especially when it came to Larne half mara. So it's clear.

What I have learned from yesterday/What am I going to do about it

Well like I said the main thing I learned was that my endurance just doesn't seem to be there. I identified it last year as one of my limiters so I am disappointed that I haven't put it right yet.

From now till Sept my 4 key weekly sessions are:

1) Endurance run (1 - 1.5 hour)
    2) Endurance cycle with hills
    3) Tempo run
    4) OW swim

Perhaps I am being a bit too hard on myself after all I only got back training last Monday but I just want to do better god damn it!:rolleyes:

By the way anyone up for an OW swim tomor eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Try the Tonic water for the cramps, I used to get them the whole time but was recommended tonic water with Quinnan to stop them, it seems to work.

Great time, no endurance needed for you with Budapest anyways

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Try the Tonic water for the cramps, I used to get them the whole time but was recommended tonic water with Quinnan to stop them, it seems to work.

Great time, no endurance needed for you with Budapest anyways

Thanks dude. When would you have the tonic water, before or during the race?
    But I do need the endurance for Budapest, Olympic Distance and it will probably be hot so can't have my muscles fatiguing on me like that again!

Advertisement