Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keen to see what the future may hold!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Don't you just love that EUREKA moment! Fair play. Once you get the fitness levels up you will be flying it. Out of curiosity, how much are the coached sessions costing you? Are they 1-1?

Sorry to hear you won't be winning the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks P! I was waiting, very patiently, for some time for this moment! But the real work starts now, now that I knew what to do.

It paid 250 euro for Nov - June. It isn't 1 to 1, it is a club training session for elite swimmers, basically teenagers 13 - 19 boys and girls. I get a lane to myself and the coach gives me pointers and sets, he gives me plenty of attention and you could see this morning he was genuinely delighted this morning.

Played the 90 mins last night....no injury :rolleyes: we lost, the lads finding it hard to pick themselves up after sunday, at least one game left now, cup 1/4 final.

Feet very sore yesterday and again today. This is because i got new runners this week, Saucony hurricane grid, I used to have have asics kayano but decided to change as these have more of a sability block in them, as I have very flat feet this is important. I also have orthotics and the combination of the new runner and orthotics has left me crippled! Hoping I just get used to them, failing that I will leave the orthotics out, as I am never without them this would be weird.

Ok to todays session. Did some research this week on bike training so I based todays session on these two articles:

http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art21.htm

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/4_Great_One-Hour_Bike_Workouts.htm

Bike Session

Warm Up Easy Spin Time 33min; Distance 14.8km;

6 x 45sec on/1min15sec off

1) 45 sec Max; Distance 500m; Ave Speed 40.2km/h; Ave Cadence 121rpm; Max HR 160;
    2) 45 sec Max: Distance 520m; Ave Speed 41.3km/h; Ave Cadence 100rpm; Max HR 163;
    3) 45 sec Max: Distance 500m; Ave Speed 39.9km/h; Ave Cadence 120rpm; Max HR 168;
    4) 45 sec Max: Distance 470m; Ave Speed 37.8km/h; Ave Cadence 119rpm; Max HR 167;
    5) 45 sec Max: Distance 490m; Ave Speed 39.3km/h; Ave Cadence 112rpm; Max HR 167;
    6) 45 sec Max: Distance 460m; Ave Speed 36.4km/h; Ave Cadence 117rpm; Max HR 168;

Recovery Easy Spin Time 33min; Distance 15.08km;

5K TT Distance 5k; Time 8min 55sec; Ave Speed 33.6km; Ave Cadence 100rpm; Ave HB/Zone 153/3.7;

Cool Down Easy Spin Time 21min; Distance 10.2km;

Nice session. I also attacked all hills. Getting more confident on the bike. Perfect conditions. Next week I must repeat this session with some variance, but on my TT bike. I would like to be as comfortable on that as I am my road bike.

One thing that I noticed today was the importance of the core strength when out of the saddle. I made a conscious effort to tighten my stomach muscles and I was much more powerful for it!

Great session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Interesting bike session there, kind of like a track session only on the bike... hmmm

Well done on the penny drop swim moment.. progress from now. Significant swing to faster water results.. good stuff!

yea hopefully, timing couldn't have been better - 76 days to the euros. Just need to keep building the swim fitness now. As for the bike session I was thinking last week that surely I should be doing more than just peddling around (although I know my turbo sessions help) so after a bit of research (see the above links) i decided to do that session....really really enjoyed it, a good 50k.

3 weeks till first tri now, need to get into open water soon. Rest day today.

• Advertisement

So annoyed with myself for not going to bed earlier Sunday night.....needless to say-didn't get up for my swim this morn :mad: replacing tomorrow morn's weight session with a swim session instead.

Mon Eve

Turbo Session Number 30 - 60 mins.

Tues 20th April

Warm Up 100m fs/250m kick

2 x 400m/200m/100m

400m 7min 14sec
    200m 3min 19sec
    100m 1min 34sec

400m 7min 25sec
    200m 3min 30sec
    100m 1min 35sec

Cool Down 250m bc

Don't have much time on a tues morn for a swim session, really I wanted to do 3 sets, how and ever it is better than nothing. I was absolutely knacked for the second set! But I was determined not to let my form suffer, thats why I think my times didn't suffer that much.

No running training this eve as tomorrow eve is the first Dublin Graded Track Meeting of the summer in Santry. Looking really forward to it! I was just going to compete in the 800m but I think I will also try the 100m....just for the craic and I would love to get an official time.

Right....to bed early now!

maybe only 2 sets but quality, your times are dropping more and more. Good work

100m would love a crack off that although I'd imagine I'd barely scrape 12 secs. Could do 10.8 as a teen but years of sitting on a sliding seat in a narrow shell put paid to those fast twitch fibres! Good luck with it and mind the hamstrings, remember tri less than 3 weeks away now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

10.8 holy sh1t.

I would have considered myself a nippy corner forward in a previous life but 10.8!!!!!!!!

maybe only 2 sets but quality, your times are dropping more and more. Good work

100m would love a crack off that although I'd imagine I'd barely scrape 12 secs. Could do 10.8 as a teen but years of sitting on a sliding seat in a narrow shell put paid to those fast twitch fibres! Good luck with it and mind the hamstrings, remember tri less than 3 weeks away now...

LOL, well I used to do 100m too when I was in school and it was definitely my distance, but I can't remember my times, anyway should be a bit of craic before the 800m. I am thinking my lungs will be at brusting point after the first bend! Hope to get into a rhythm fairly quickly and then just go for it in the last 300m.

• Advertisement

Coached Swim Session

Warm UP 300m FS/200m kick

8 x 75m Kick Coming in on ave at 1:10

8 x 125m/75m FS

1st 125) 2:04 1st 75) 1:17
    2nd 125) 2:08 2nd 75) 1:17
    3rd 125)2:09 3rd 75) 1:18
    4th 125)2:11 4th 75) 1:19
    5th 125)2:10 5th 75) 1:19
    6th 125)2:14 6th 75) 1:22
    7th 125)2:15 7th 75)1:21
    8th 125)2:19 8th 75)1:28

Cool Down 100m BC

Good session and should help me with my swim fitness. Those kick sets however may hinder me at this evenings meet.

Weds Eve 21st April

Well my coach talked me out of doing the 100m. He said it would be "stupid", it wasn't a conversation, he was right too....always listen to ur coach ;)

800m

My only aim, being completely honest, was not to finish last. This after all was a meeting for serious runners, doubt there were any other tri heads there.

There were 4 grades, A, B, C, and D, I part took in grade D. Put into lane 7, there were 8 of us. After the first bend I forgot to move inside but I did eventually. 3 young lads took it out and I was in 4th after 400m. At 500m I was over taken at the 500m mark. I felt I was under presure, on the back straight one of the coaches at my club told me to keep my head up and start pumping my arms.....it had the desired effect. With 150 to go I just said 'come on empty the tank and catch one of those young lads'. On the line.... I did, just.

So 4th place and a time of 2:17. Coach delighted with my fight, really enjoyed the experience. My lungs were busting! They were hurting, still are 3 hours later! Well satisfied though.
    :)

Well done El D. Good speed, must have been a great rush albeit pure pain down the last straight! With that kind of mental strength you will be a force on the Tri scene this summer

Thanks MCOS, but i'm not sure if I will be a "force" but I do know I will always give it everything! :) That sort of attitude I find usually won't let you down! Can't wait until next meet.

Thursday Morn 22nd April

Max strength session number 13.

Next week I will do two of these sessions then it is down to once a week and back to strength maintenance phase for the summer. Thurs mornings will be reserved for an easy spin on the bike.

Thursday Evening 22nd Feb

Legs felt very heavy starting training today and my left hammer felt like it was in an knot, but once I started it seemed to be ok although I was always aware of it.

Warm up 3.5k

4 x 400m/200m haven't got all my times as I forgot my watch but my first 2 400's were a slow 74/75 but the last two were 71 sec.
    My first two 200m were 35/36 sec and my last 2 200's were 31/30 sec.

Cool Down 3.5km

I suppose as I got more confident on my leg I ran faster. Strange how much an 800m race will take out of you! One lesson learned was I must warm down, coach picked me up on that this eve as I got straight into my car and home yesterday after the race.

Friday Morn 23rd April

Warm Up 6 x 75m - 25 kick/25 pull/25 FS (descending)

1) 3:35
    2) 3:30
    3) 3:26
    4) 3:20
    5) 3:18
    6) 3:02

8 x 200m off 3:45

1) 3:33
    2) 3:39
    3) 3:44
    4) 3:41
    5) 3:40
    6) 3:45
    7) 3:46
    8) 3:49

Cool Down 200m easy

Tough session. I was wrecked this morning getting into the pool. The feedback was that my stroke/tech was grand for the first 2, but fell apart again after that. Coach said we will be doing this set regularly between now and July. He also said i have to make my 3 sessions per week to see the improvement required. By the end of June he wants me doing these off 3:35 and making all of them. Though week so far but it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

He also said i have to make my 3 sessions per week to see the improvement required. By the end of June he wants me doing these off 3:35 and making all of them. Though week so far but it will be worth it.

good strong work.
    just on your coaches intentions for you through til July - something of a hot topic and running the risk of stating the obvious - from my understanding your swim coach is just that ... a swim coach. By the sounds of it you've also got someone that is a run coach. As coaches they want to see you progress ... in the specific sports ... so if you're trashed from a track session and head to the pool the next day and cant make sets you made the previous week you're likely to hear about it.

The target 200 times arent too far out of reach for you between now and july but as the milage grows during May, June and July and some weekends are spent racing instead of training / resting ... the trick will be staying fit and getting that bit faster and trying to make all your sessions.

Anyhow - congrats on the progress so far - you might consider adding an open water swim to the training schedule as well to ensure you're translating the speed in the pool to outside where the most of the races will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Weds Eve 21st April

Well my coach talked me out of doing the 100m. He said it would be "stupid", it wasn't a conversation, he was right too....always listen to ur coach ;)

800m

My only aim, being completely honest, was not to finish last. This after all was a meeting for serious runners, doubt there were any other tri heads there.

There were 4 grades, A, B, C, and D, I part took in grade D. Put into lane 7, there were 8 of us. After the first bend I forgot to move inside but I did eventually. 3 young lads took it out and I was in 4th after 400m. At 500m I was over taken at the 500m mark. I felt I was under presure, on the back straight one of the coaches at my club told me to keep my head up and start pumping my arms.....it had the desired effect. With 150 to go I just said 'come on empty the tank and catch one of those young lads'. On the line.... I did, just.

So 4th place and a time of 2:17. Coach delighted with my fight, really enjoyed the experience. My lungs were busting! They were hurting, still are 3 hours later! Well satisfied though.
    :)

That's great speed ther El D, I think ecoli has a 2:13 time for 800m on the best of '10 thread and he is a dedicated runner, so puts your time in perspective, well done.

interested wrote: »
    good strong work.
    just on your coaches intentions for you through til July - something of a hot topic and running the risk of stating the obvious - from my understanding your swim coach is just that ... a swim coach. By the sounds of it you've also got someone that is a run coach. As coaches they want to see you progress ... in the specific sports ... so if you're trashed from a track session and head to the pool the next day and cant make sets you made the previous week you're likely to hear about it.

The target 200 times arent too far out of reach for you between now and july but as the milage grows during May, June and July and some weekends are spent racing instead of training / resting ... the trick will be staying fit and getting that bit faster and trying to make all your sessions.

Anyhow - congrats on the progress so far - you might consider adding an open water swim to the training schedule as well to ensure you're translating the speed in the pool to outside where the most of the races will be.

Thanks Interested for the sound advice.

You are spot on re my coaches. I decided not to join a tri club as their training times don't really suit. Also talking to a mate of mine in a club he said that the sessions are pretty tame with nobody really pushing it. So I took the notion-run with runners;swim with swimmers;cycle with cyclists.

My swim coach is well aware of my tri life and he even has a written plan to have me at my best/peak for my A races (Kilkee and Athlone Euro). My running coach however does not really know the extent of my tri involvement. There are 3 coaches and to be honest they are kinda running snobs. But they are terrific and take a real interest.

Again you are also right about keeping fit/injury free. I plan on dropping some sessions in mid May for higher intensity and good quality session, less volume-more quality. Hopefully this will give me the top end speed thats needed.

Thanks again dude.

Macanri wrote: »
    That's great speed ther El D, I think ecoli has a 2:13 time for 800m on the best of '10 thread and he is a dedicated runner, so puts your time in perspective, well done.

Thanks Mac, ya I was thrilled with that time alright. There were 4 grades and taking all times from all grades into account I finished 26th out of 31....so that also puts it into some perspective too ;) put I always focus on the positives and all in all it was positive :)

• Advertisement

Well what a difference a week makes. Last Saturday, sunny, dry, little breeze and I was full of beans and well up for it! :)

Today, dull, wet, very windy (Only last 8k a tail wind, head/side otherwise) and after a tough week, I really didn't want to know about it. I was also at Ricky Gervais last night in the 02 and drove all the way home after to galway, 2:30 when I got to bed. Anyway I convinced myself that its days like today that will make the difference.

Warm Up 30k Easy

7 x 45 sec On/1:15 Off

1) 45 sec Max; Distance 420m; Ave Speed 33.5km/h; Max HR 145;
    2) 45 sec Max: Distance 500m; Ave Speed 40.3km/h; Max HR 160;
    3) 45 sec Max: Distance 500m; Ave Speed 39.9km/h; Max HR 167;
    4) 45 sec Max: Distance 530m; Ave Speed 42.3km/h; Max HR 166;
    5) 45 sec Max: Distance 520m; Ave Speed 41.6km/h; Max HR 170;
    6) 45 sec Max: Distance 460m; Ave Speed 36.6km/h; Max HR 167;
    7) 45 sec Max: Distance 490m; Ave Speed 39.3km/h; Max HR 168;

Recovery Easy Spin Distance 14K; Time 31 min 47 sec

5K TT

Distance 5k; Time 9min 52sec; Ave Speed 30.4km; Ave HB/Zone 160/3.5;

Cool Down Distance 10k; Time 20 min 08 sec

Used my TT bike today, no cadence sensor on it (less clutter the better in my opinion) it was tough going to be honest. Times were better on my road bike, conditions were not the same though. I also had trouble getting onto the big cog (again) must get that sorted! Before I did the 5k TT I did do an extra 25k of hills, so that with the wind and rain would explain the fact that I was much slower today. Still, glad I did the session, had a nice jacuzzi after.

One thing that is concerning me, the fact that since Larne Half Marathon (Mar 20th) I haven't done my endurance runs. So starting on Friday of next week I am back to 12k runs and build it up to 18/19k run, this is after all my half Ironman year!

Didn't go to bed early enough again Sunday night so missed my coached session...again. Once again I will be replacing my Tuesday strength session with a pool session, this time in the NAC (50m pool), coach has already text me a session to do!

Monday Afternoon - 26th April

Turbo Session No. 31 60 mins

Good workout, feeling very strong today for some reason.

This Weds Eve I have my first ever bike race, Swords CC runs a summer league every Weds evening. Looking forward to it but I'm a bit nervous because I have never raced in a group/drafting type situation and these are serious, dedicated cyclists :rolleyes:

Warm Up 800m (200 pull/200 FS x 2)

10 x 50m x 4 off 60 sec

1st 10 between 52sec - 57sec
    2nd 10 between 53sec - 58sec
    3rd 10 between 53sec - 58sec
    4th 10 between 53sec - 60sec

Cool Down 200m

Wanted to do 600m kick but ran out of time. Actually struggled this morning, it was tough. I was expecting much better times in the 50m pool because I'd have less turns. It didn't work out that way, I was actaully slower. A bit disillusioned to be honest.

The USA Junior swim team were getting ready for a session as I was leaving, would love to have stayed and watched....roll on the summer when I'll have nowhere to be!

I was expecting much better times in the 50m pool because I'd have less turns. It didn't work out that way, I was actaully slower. A bit disillusioned to be honest.

Dont beat yourself up too much - moving from short course (25m pool) to long course (50m) pool takes ALOT of getting used to and times are generally slower anyhow. Also, it was a long set of 50's.

The USA Junior swim team were getting ready for a session as I was leaving, would love to have stayed and watched....

I would imagine the Irish Director of swimming and his old contacts are working together to ensure the NAC is the base for some european training camps for these squads. Some of the Junior team are probably hoping to get a spot for London and the management team are probably looking around at facilities here. Theres every chance, if they like the look of the pool, facilities and surrounding hotels etc that Mr Phelps (if he qualifies ;)) and the other US swimmers will use Dublin as a low-key european base before heading into the glare of London.

BTW, if that happens Id imagine there wont be a set of public/member lanes available for morning swims for a while ;)

Thanks interested! Ya it really took me by surprise, has it anything to do with the extra volume of water?

Good point re these high performance teams, it would actually be great! They are competing all weekend actually and it's free to enter.

Tues Eve 27th April

Warm Up 4km

4 x 600 m

1st) 630m time 1:51; Max HR 175
    2nd) 619m time 1:53; Max HR 180
    3rd) 618m time 1:54; Max HR 182
    4th) 596m time 1:53; Max HR 182

Cool Down 4km

Didn't think I would be up for this session but once I got going I was flying! A real sense of nervous excitement about tomorrows bike race!

Thanks interested! Ya it really took me by surprise, has it anything to do with the extra volume of water?

Yeah, tis pretty much it.
    FINA (the FIFA of Swimming / world governing body) define a fairly comprehensive set of rules associated with swimming pools - which give strict guidelines about length, water depth, water temperature, number of lanes and even brightness in pool area etc. You HAVE to do qualifying times for major events in compliant pools.

BTW, I think you're plan of running with runners etc etc is as good as any to be honest. There's definitely some benefits of having a triathlon coach at some point (depending on your level and where you want to go with the sport yourself) but swimming and biking with swimmers and bikers aint no bad idea.

Thanks Interested, I was thinking that for next year I will have to consult a tri coach, by that stage I will have two years under my belt and have a fairly good fitness level. For now I will just keep working hard, especially on endurance.

Weds Morning 28th April

Warm Up 6 x 100m

12 x 50m kick (25 easy/25 hard)

Hard Sets
    1) 1:16
    2) 1:16
    3) 1:10
    4) 1:11
    5) 1:07
    6) 107

8 x 150m off 3 min
    1) 2:48
    2) 2:46
    3) 2:46
    4) 2:47
    5) 2:48
    6) 2:47
    7) 2:48
    8) 2:47

8 x 50m 25m kick/25m FS off 1:15

All done between 55 sec - 60 sec

Felt god to be back in more familiar waters! Chatted to the coach and he reiterated what interested said. So I felt much better and I actually felt great in the water this morn and had a light bulb moment too! Regarding the kick, I brought it down from an average of 1:15 to 1:07 all of a sudden! I really started to propel myself forward by keeping my leg straight when coming out of the water and then letting it bend a little on the way back in, this is so that the whole shin and foot catches the water. Hope that makes sense! It caught the coach out as he gave me too much reat time for those that last set ;)

Also decided as my gym membership is almost up I am going to become a member of the NAC, my thinking is, if its tougher than it will make me better.

First bike race this eve, 30km.:o

Also decided as my gym membership is almost up I am going to become a member of the NAC

Training regularly in a 50m pool and then moving to a 25m pool has its benefits. Probably none related to triathlon - unless pool based tri ;).
    I plan on joining the NAC soon too, the early morning access is the draw for me. Tired waiting about for a 7am start.

• Advertisement

Very disappointed this evening. Could not for the life of me find the signing on location, drove around for an hour and a half looking for it. inaccurate direction on the website coupled with my stupid sat nav and the fact that I can't find any number on the clubs website or facebook for anyone in the club. Anyway it's my own fault. Over the disappointment now. Scratch strength training in the morn, 2 hour cycle at 6am before school instead. Onwards and upwards.

Advertisement