Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keen to see what the future may hold!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That sucks I know you were looking forward to your first bike race. Hey, there will be other races man. Take it easy in the morning.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I was looking forward to it alright Mcos but I'm over it now after a good mornings cycle.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31617170

Thursday Morning Cycle 29th April

Distance 34 KM
    Time 1 hr 07 min 26 sec
    Ave Speed/Max Speed 30.2km/h/47.1km/h
    Ave Cadence 85rpm
    Ave HR/Max HR 136/162

So not the two hours I had thought I'd do bt I wasn't sure of the area as I have never cycled around West Dublin/Meath/Kildare. So Weds race was a 30k, did 34 this morning so all I really missed was a strenth session. I'm happy again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

LOL....Your OH must think you're a bit Schizo, as most of are when it comes to the highs and lows of training & racing! :D

Lol how right u r P! When I miss a sesion, when Im sick/injury that is when Im most depressed-the gf hates it when Im like that!

Thurs Afternoon 29th April

Max strength session no. 14.

As ye can see I actually found time for this session this afternoon after-all!:)

• Advertisement

Friday 30th April

Swim

Warm Up 200m

500m kick All came in between 1:03 - 1:12

1,500 easy Took this nice and easy, concentrated on form. 30 min 22 sec

Run

11km at Olympic Distance Run Pace 11km Time 49 min; Ave HB/Max HB 153bpm/173bpm.

Have not done a friday "long" run for 5 weeks and it's still my most hated session of the week! Anyway good to have it done.

I have a wedding tomorrow so it will be an early start. Luckily my GF's friend started triathlon last year too so we have planned a nice easy brick session, he hasn't been able to train recently so it will be a Zone 2/3 session, suits me fine to be honest as I have 4 races planned for next week starting with the The Athletics Leinster Road Championships 6km in Kilkenny.

Got it 3rd time lucky!! :) One of my A races.

40k Bike Easy 1hr 27mins Ave Hb/Max HB 119/145

lovely spin, nice and flat.

6k Run 28min40sec Ave HB/Max HB 137/150

nice pace for this, great to have company on it and also great to get my nose ahead of Macarni again:)

Now to ruin it all at a wedding!

The Athletics Leinster Road Championships 6km in Kilkenny 3rd May

My GF woke me this morn and I just wasn't feelin it:( You wouldn't have thought that it was a race morning at all! Usually I'm up first going through my usual routine. Not this morn, just wasn't interested. The weekend catching up I guess, Sunday was the day after the wedding and although I wasn't drinking (thank god, got bagged) it was still 1:30 when I went to bed. Anyway....

Race Report

Did a good 2 mile warm up with strides.....great having a team of lads there to do this stuff with. After the warm up and the stitch I was feeling fine. Hot day, 6k, 4 laps, some of it down hill and some up.

My foreman was full up so it didn't work, bummer I thought as I set out. I really rely on it for pacing. But no harm just listen to the body. The first lap felt fast, I didn't get caught up in it though, relaxed into a good pace. Kept that pace up for 3 of the laps, passing one/two per lap on the same up hill section each time. On the fourth I tried to up it but it was tough, I was already tiring my best.

As I didn't have my watch I don't know my exact time but I'm thinking dub 22:30, still waiting for the results which have get to be posted.

All in all though I was pretty happy. Tough weekend, tough race and a tough racing week ahead. Not to worry, rest/easy week next week.

Mon6k Road Race
    WedsPhoenix Park Duathlon
    SatLeixlip 5k Road Race
    Sun Velvet Strand Sprint Tri

Thurs Afternoon 29th April

Max strength session no. 15.

Last max session of the year. Cutting back now to a strength maintenance session once a week.

Result in from the 6km road race

Time 22:28; place 28th out of 46. Very happy with this, it was a high standard so very pleased. Would be delighted if I could push it a little more on Saturday and do a sub 18 20k. (this time last year i would have laughed at that!)

• Advertisement

Gutted. Second Wednesday in a row Im left feeling this way. These wednesday competitive training sessions are so vital to my progress this summer. Turned up this eve did a warm up which only lasted 5 mins, back in bits. Picked it up yesterday playin a bit of mess around soccer with 6th years V teachers :mad:
    stupid. Anyway better to save myself for Sat and Sun. Fingers crossed this passes.

PS just watched Brian McCrystal and the fast boys set off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

PS just watched Brian McChristensen and the fast boys set off :(

Why thanks :o

Sorry to hear you missed out, it was a great night as usual

Thanks Chris, it was a lovely evening with a great atmosphere. Taking the rest of this week off completely, no training what so ever, bringing my rest/easy week forward to this one. Still hope to do the 5k sat and Velvet Tri on Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Thanks Chris, it was a lovely evening with a great atmosphere. Taking the rest of this week off completely, no training what so ever, bringing my rest/easy week forward to this one. Still hope to do the 5k sat and Velvet Tri on Sun.

none of my business chief but is there any special reason you're doing that 5km run the day before portmarnock ? if you're just training through both then cool, but would have thought it might make more sense to give the velvet strand race a crack when you're fully rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Will be down watching on sunday morning so best of luck

Bad luck with your back. Are you sure one of the students didn't take you out? :D I can think of a few teachers I would have liked to have gotten a chance to have a go at way back when! :P

Best of luck at the weekend. I'd echo the concern raised by interested regarding racing the 5k and then racing the tri too.

interested wrote: »
    none of my business chief but is there any special reason you're doing that 5km run the day before portmarnock ? if you're just training through both then cool, but would have thought it might make more sense to give the velvet strand race a crack when you're fully rested.

Yo interested, I'm actually just training through. It is a C priority race and it's just really a case of getting one in before Valentia (which is a B priority). Actually if I had to prioritise a race this weekend it would be the 5k as I am very keen to do a sub 18 min time. After this week though I would settle for a new PB (old one 18:39) and I would be delighted too! :)
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Will be down watching on sunday morning so best of luck

Thanks Kenny! I hope it goes well. Haven't had time to do an open water swim but this will kick start me to doing one at least once a week i hope.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Bad luck with your back. Are you sure one of the students didn't take you out? :D I can think of a few teachers I would have liked to have gotten a chance to have a go at way back when! :P

Best of luck at the weekend. I'd echo the concern raised by interested regarding racing the 5k and then racing the tri too.

Thanks P! Like I said above I'm not really concerned about my placing on Sunday, but in saying that I know once i'm in the thick of it i'll be doing my best! ;)

I feel fine, back seems grand, just did an easy 5 there, still a little something there, perhaps its the new footware affecting my back :confused:

Anyway I will be really gritting my teeth and doing my very best to record a good time.

+1 on the 5k+Tri advice. Yes you seem to be enjoying and doing well at the running lately however with Athlone less than 8 weeks away it may be an idea to prioritise the Tri, give it a bash and see where you stand.

Best of luck anyway man, have a good race.

Thanks man, but I'm committed now and mentally prepared so here goes....

Willing to wait until Valentia to see where I stand, sticking to my plan and believing that it will have me firing on all in Athlone!

Leixlip 5k Road Race 8th May

Did the course as a warm up, nice and easy. It was a good idea to do the course and see what lay ahead. Two things became very apparent (1) this course has two hills that I wasn't aware of (2) it was windy! So I think sub 18 wasn't really on for me today from the start. Still did my best.

1k) 3:25
    2k) 3:38
    3k) 3:57
    4k) 3:54
    5k) 3:46
    81m) 16sec

So for 5.08km I clocked 18:59. No PB but I really gave it everything and was flat out on my back after! My club mate came in 4 sec behind me! 5 lads sprinted by me in the last 70 or so, I had no kick in me which is disappointing but I emptied the tank. Waiting for my placing later today. Quads are killin me now! Headed to the jacuzzi after for some relaxation.

So tomorrow is the start of tri season and I am looking forward to it. I know I won't be 100% but tomorrow for me is all about getting back into it. I know my time won't reflect all the training I've done, another way to look at it is it will reflect all the training :confused:! Anyway, it's all about the bigger picture :)

• Advertisement

Velvet Strand Triathlon 9th May 2010

Woke up this morning at 5:45, I need to eat 3 hours before a race which was due to start at 9. As it happened we weren't in the water till 10:30. Didn't have my usual nerves, sense of excitement or will to want to do well which was weird...I felt nothing. No open water swim this year and it showed.

Swim

We were the last wave into the water (25-29 year age group). Like I said I wasn't feeling any emotion at all.....that is until SMASH, first wave hit my face and....WALLOP, second hit my face! All of a sudden I was awake and found myself gritting my teeth....race on ;) The swim was difficult, I think everybody found it a challenge. Very choppy with a strong current. Checked my watch coming out of the water 11mins 30sec or so, over the mat in 13:33 76th (out of 236).

T1

Nasty up hill run to T1, hemet on, sunnies on and this was my first time with the shoes clipped in (practiced only yesterday evening) didn't even attempt shotguns 'leap of faith', one thing at a time! Got into my shoes just fine, happy with the transition for once. This was also my first sockless triathlon! Time 53 sec.

Bike

Really got the bit between my teeth for this. Felt great as I had so many people to pass (we went off last remember!) so psychologically this really helped, not one person passed me. What didn't help was all the cars that I got stuck behind, very frustrating. We had 3 laps with 6 dead turns, it was madness! It was 21 km and my time 36min 12sec, 17th out of 236.

T2

Rack the bike helmet off and runners on, 56 sec.

Run

Felt much better doing the 5 k today then i did yesterday! First time ever that not one person passed me and I passed loads :) Wish I had done the sub 20 but happy with 20:12, 13th out of 236.

Overall

1hr 11min 49sec, 20th out of 236. Delighted with my new PB. No problem with the sockless thing, didn't even cross my mind actually. I posted in the events section re the race which overall was enjoyable but room for improvement.

So 2010 off to a decent start. Like you shotgun I must get a plan together now for the next 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Brilliant stuff El D. Great times in all sections there including the transitons, and taking into account the waves and traffic. Well Done - and that was a C race, Keen to see what the future holds :)

Excellent result ElD man, top 20 to kick off the season eh! Smashed it. The swim and run training really paying off and with school summer hols coming up you will have loads of time to get a minute or two off that bike. Are you doing the std or sprint race in Athlone? Flat 20 off the bike is great running too, you are flying it and you have a seriously driven attitude too. Importantly you are learning from the swim and run coaches and taking things on board, a sure fire way to get the most out of yourself :)

Monday 10th MAy

No swim this morn, really needed a lie in after the weekend.

Thanks Mac, ya it was a C race, the B and A races will attract a much higher quality field though.

Thanks MCOS, I was very satisfied especially with the run, if you saw my run times last year! I applied for both sprint and olympic distance and got offered both, doing the sprint though as I perform better in them in general. Which are you doing?

Well I always tell the kids in school to listen and take on board what your teachers/coaches/elders tell you as they have much more experience and you could avoid their mistakes!

Nearly have my 8 week plan put together now so I will post it here later.

Good weekend there. Savage going in the tri. Sub 20 off the bike will come handy enough. Great feeling when it does. Top 20 finish is a great result. Fair play.

Thanks P, it has given me a great boost and great confidence for the rest of the year.

Thinking about yesterday a lot today. I love that feeling you get when day dreaming of how you felt yesterday and how well it went. I was low on motivation last week for some reason, the race reminded me of why I'm doing all this, it was perfect timimg!

Mon 10th May

Turbo Session No. 31/32 Time 1hr 20mins

Cadence Max/Ave 171/96
    Watt Max/Ave 384/185
    Km/h Max/Ave 58.4/31.1

8 Weeks To Athlone

Week 1 (Mon 10th May – Sun 16th May)

Mon 1hr 20min turbo session

Tues 3,000m long swim
    Club Running

Weds Coached Swim Session
    Duathlon or 45k Club Race or 16 Run

Thurs 34k cycle
    Club Running

Fri Coached Swim Session
    Weights/Jacuzzi
    O/W Swim

Sat 100k Mount Leinster Challenge or 75k Club Cycle

Sun Sportswrld 8k

Week 2 (Mon 17th May – Sun 23rd May)

Mon 1hr 30min turbo session
    Coached Swim Session

Tues Weights
    Club Running

Graded Run in Santry

Thurs 34k cycle
    Club Running (may drop one of these)

Fri Coached Swim Session (Easy Session)
    O/W Swim in Valentia (course swim)

Sat Valentia Sprint B Race

Sun Rest/Recovery

Week 3 (Mon 24th May Sun 30th May)

Mon Coached Swim Session
    1hr 30min turbo session

Tues Weights
    Club Running

Thurs Club Running

Fri Coached Swim Session
    O/W Swim in Galway (course swim)

Sat Galway Sprint Tri3 C Race

Sun Rest/Recovery

Week 4 Rest/Easy Week (Mon 31st May – Sun 6th June)

Mon Coached Swim Session

Tues Club Running

Weds Duathlon

Thurs Club Running

Fri O/W Swim (School Holidays)

Sat TriAthy Olympic B Race

Sun Rest/Recovery

Week 5 (Mon 7th June – Sun 13th June)

Mon Easy 16k Run

Tues Weights
    Club Running

Swords TT

Thurs Cycle
    Club Running

Fri Coached Swim Session

Sat Club Cycle/Galway Cycle/O/W Swim Galway

Sun COPE Galway Sprint C Race

Week 6 Peak (Mon 14th June – Sun 20th June)

Mon Long Recovery Run

Tues Weights
    Club Running

Bray Aquathon

Thurs Cycle
    Club Running

Fri Coached Swim Session (Easy Session)
    O/W Swim in Mullaghmore

Sat Mullaghmore Sprint B Race

Sun Rest/Recovery

Week 7 Race Week (Mon 21st June – Sun 27th June)

Mon Coached Swim

Tues Bike (Interval/TT Session, Race Bike)

OR (Go to Kilkee)

Mon Bike Course, do hills hard the rest easy.

Tues Swim Kilkee Bay/Run Course

Weds Graded Run Santry

Thurs O/W Swim

Fri Short Morning Brick (30 min bike with 6 45 sec intervals/15 min run with 6 x 30 sec pick ups)

Sat Race Day Kilkee A Race (This time it’s personal!)

Sun Rest/Recovery

Week 8 Race Week (Mon 28th June – Sun 4th July)

Mon Swim 2,000 easy

Tues Brick Session

Weds Swords TT (Maybe Athlone Bike Course)

Thurs O/W Swim Athlone

Fri Short Morning Brick (30 min bike with 6 45 sec intervals/15 min run with 6 x 30 sec pick ups)
    in Athlone

Sat Race Day Athlone Euro Age Group A Race (This is it!)
    Party Time!

Sun Rest/Recovery

Mon Cyprus here I come! Two weeks of R&R.

After I come back I will return to some base training and getting many miles in for the half iron man.

Heavy schedule there ElD. Good that you have Rest Days pencilled in, however I'd suggest you revisit the week before Valentia and Athlone.

Valentia B race.. 2 races and a heavy bike in the week leading up to it may have you tired for the race

Athlone.. going deep in Kilkee is going to require a few days of rest or very easy maintenance stuff. I'd recommend ommiting the Swords TT that week to be fresh in time for your A race. Your 2 A races are a week apart so the bit in between is crucially a legs up, stretching, sleeping week. All the work will be done before Kilkee where you will at peak fitness. Being at peak will mean you will have the depth to go pretty deep and Kilkee is a tough race.

Best of luck man. Train happy:)

Thats the beauty of having someone look over these things, looking back over the plan you're prob right. I will prob have a rest day on the Thurs before Valentia and have a rest day on the Sun and Mon and not do the TT on Weds before Athlone.

Set my alram for the wrong day last night so didn't wake up for my swim this morn grrrr....!

• Advertisement

Tues Eve 11th May

Warm Up 4k easy

4 x 600m

1) 1min 55 sec
    2) 1min 56 sec
    3) 1min 56 sec
    4) 1min 56 sec

Cool Down 4 k easy

Felt a bit weak today and it showed in my times. 3 to 4 sec slower than two weeks ago, perhaps something to do with not getting time to eat since 2pm.
    Anyway, get to bed now, haven't done a coached swim session in 10 days or so.

Advertisement