Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2010 Trade Rumours/Speculation/Confirmations**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Pats make an offer to Faulk
    Recent rumors had it that free agent running back Kevin Faulk(notes) hadn't gotten an offer from his former team, the New England Patriots, just yet to stick around, but Faulk tells the Boston Herald via text message that an offer has been made.

Faulk gained 335 yards on 62 carries last season and caught 37 passes for 301 yards. He was one of quarterback Tom Brady's(notes) favorite people to get the ball to on third downs. And it doesn't appear that Faulk wants to go anywhere else.

According to the Herald, talks had been "moving along" up till Friday when the free-agency window got thrown open. Things will likely start rolling again soon.

5.4 yards per carry & 8.1 yards per catch last season.
    Can't imagine that he wants to go anywhere else so will be interesting to see if this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Other bits and bobs out of Seattle:
    * Derek Anderson scheduled to visit on Thursday, Seahawks have also have been calling the Philadelphia Eagles about the potential availability of Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb. Also talk they may have a look at Tebow and allow him develop behind Hasselbeck for a year or two a la Aaron Rodgers at Green Bay., but sources are vehement that their priority in the draft is an RB and OL-man with their 2 first round picks.

* Brandon Marshall spent the weekend meeting with Seahawks officials, but apparently Seattle will need to give up a first round pick for his services.

* The draft pick the Seahawks will receive in 2011 in the Wallace deal is a seventh-rounder that could improve to a No. 6 depending on how much he plays this coming season.

All from the Seattle PI

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bengals-sign-Antonio-Bryant-killing-the-T-O-?urn=nfl,227252
    The Cincinnati Bengals did indeed sign a free agent receiver, but it wasn't the one that Chad Ochocinco wanted. It's Antonio Bryant, who had a really good year once.
    Chad wanted Terrell Owens. He wanted him so badly that last night on Twitter, he volunteered to let Owens be Batman while he'd take the Robin role. He then he went on to cast the rest of "Batman" with various other members of the Bengals organization. Carson Palmer(notes) got stuck being Alfred, the poor guy.
    Chad's taking the news well.
    I admit, I'm disappointed that we won't be seeing Owens and Ochocinco on the same team. I try not to make it a habit of wishing for things that make Carson Palmer bleed out of his eyeballs when he thinks about them, but I honestly think this would've worked. Chad and Ocho could've helped each other.
    I think they'd have been a calming influence on one another. If there's anyone on earth who understands what it might be like to be Terrell Owens, it's Chad Ochocinco, and vice versa. If they were together, I think the volume would get turned down a little bit on each of them. They'd keep each other in check, because attention-grabbing forces like that tend to cancel each other out. They don't multiply.
    Anyway, it's Bryant that's a Bengal. After failing to fill his potential in three other cities, Bryant ended up with the Buccaneers, where he was a force in '08: 83 receptions, 1,248 yards. In '09, the Bucs tabbed him as their franchise player, giving him big money in the process, and with injuries nagging him, he wasn't anywhere close to the player he was a year before.
    Owens remains available on the free agent market.

Redskins reach agreement with Larry Johnson
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2010 5:28 PM ET
    The Washington Redskins have picked up a running back -- and made their biggest move since free agency started.

Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting that the Redskins reached an agreement on a three-year deal with running back Larry Johnson.

Johnson had been scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders, but he'll now cancel that trip and head to Washington, where he'll serve as the backup to Clinton Portis.

Johnson was cut by the Chiefs in the midst of a horrible season in 2009, but he was picked up by the Bengals and played respectably in Cincinnati, carrying 46 times for 204 yards, a 4.4 yards per carry average.

UPDATE: A league source tells PFT's Mike Florio that Johnson can earn up to $12 million over three years.

Browns announce acquisition of Benjamin Watson
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2010 9:42 AM ET
    The Cleveland Browns officially have announced that tight end Benjamin Watson, a six-year fixture of the Patriots' offense, has signed a multi-year deal to join former New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini.

"We viewed Ben as one of the top all-around tight ends in the free agent market," G.M. Tom Heckert said in a team-issued release. "Because of his athleticism and intelligence, he has proven valuable as both a receiver and blocker during his career, and has performed well in both facets. He comes from a winning program in New England and possesses the traits that we like in a player. We feel as though he can help us in many different areas and we are excited about his addition to our team."

The Patriots made no real effort to keep Watson, who visited Seattle before heading to Cleveland. Both teams reportedly were attempting to ink Watson.

The Pats are now very thin at the position, as our buddy Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com has pointed out. And the free-agent market is relatively bare; many of the best remaining free agents (like Bo Scaife, Owen Daniels, Anthony Fasano, and Tony Scheffler) are restricted free agents.

I don't understand why the pats didn't resign him but either way he will be a big asset to the Browns offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just seen this on espn.com so i thought id post it..;)

Jake Delhomme has a new NFL home, and the Cleveland Browns have another new quarterback.Delhomme, released last week by the Carolina Panthers, has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Browns, whose quarterback position has been nothing short of a merry-go-round of players since the club returned as an expansion team 11 years ago.
    ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter first reported the deal, and a source told Schefter that Delhomme is scheduled to make $7 million this season, including just under $900,000 in base salary. With $12.7 million from Carolina, Delhomme will make $19.7 million in 2010.

Cleveland has been busy trying to resolve a troublesome position. Earlier this week, the Browns acquired backup Seneca Wallace and released Derek Anderson, a one-time Pro Bowl selection who has struggled in the past two seasons.
    Delhomme is expected to compete for Cleveland's starting job with Brady Quinn, who has yet to receive any endorsement from the club's new front office.
    Delhomme visited the Browns on Thursday but left without a deal. He had scheduled a meeting with the New Orleans Saints, his hometown team, but canceled that trip after working out the principles of a deal with the Browns.
    Since 1999, the Browns have had eight different opening-week quarterbacks.
    Delhomme is coming off his worst season as a pro. He threw 18 interceptions and the Panthers decided to cut him despite still owing him more than $12 million. Delhomme went 58-40 as a starter with Carolina, leading the franchise to its lone Super Bowl appearance to end the 2003 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Jay Glazer is reporting that Brady Quinn has just been traded to the Broncos for Peyton Hillis and two conditional draft picks.

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer

So Delhomme into the Browns and Quinn out. Interesting moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

L.T just signed a 2 year deal with the jets.... According to mr Schefter

Adam_Schefter
    Filed to ESPN: it's official. LaDainian Tomlinson is a Jet. He reached agreement on a two-year contract. Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Good team but I wish he'd chosen the Vikings instead. I suppose he's looking to pick up Tom Jones' goal line work and chase down the only all time record he can conceivably get. Funny that he'll now be splitting time with the upstart who mocked his celebration during his last game for the Chargers!
    Jay Glazer is reporting that Brady Quinn has just been traded to the Broncos for Peyton Hillis and two conditional draft picks.

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer

So Delhomme into the Browns and Quinn out. Interesting moves.

I'm fascinated by Holmgrem choosing to trade Quinn. He clearly doesn't think he'll make it in the league so it'll be very interesting to see how his game progresses under McDaniels.

I'm fascinated by Holmgrem choosing to trade Quinn. He clearly doesn't think he'll make it in the league so it'll be very interesting to see how his game progresses under McDaniels.

I'm equally intrigued by the Bronco's giving up Hillis and 2 picks for Quinn tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Giving up a full back and a sixth next year with a conditional in 2012 is pretty good business by the Broncos. Quinn can come in and learn their system without the pressure he had in Cleveland as a first round pick. With Josh McDanniels there is every chance that he can be functional in their system if he wins the starting job over Orton.

Holmgren traded him because a new GM/head coach nearly always wants his own man in the system, neither him or Mangini were at the Browns when Quinn was drafted and they clearly didn't want their futures tethered to the previous administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

L.T just signed a 2 year deal with the jets.... According to mr Schefter

Adam_Schefter
    Filed to ESPN: it's official. LaDainian Tomlinson is a Jet. He reached agreement on a two-year contract. Done

In hindsight i think its bad for the Jets. They lost Jones and paid LT more when they already have a similar type of player in Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Disagree. IMO jones should have restructered his contract and stayed. However the Jets are saving money in the fact they don't have to pay out the 6 mil bonus Jones was due to earn this offseason.

Disagree. IMO jones should have restructered his contract and stayed. However the Jets are saving money in the fact they don't have to pay out the 6 mil bonus Jones was due to earn this offseason.

I disagree with your disagreement.

The Jets cut Jones to avoid the 6 mil bonus, fair enough but Jones' agent then allowed the Jets to match Chiefs contract offer, they refused and then paid LT more.

Their logic is baffling, Jones is currently a better player than LT, they already have a similar player in Washington, Jones was well liked in the Jets locker room and his release has caused a bit of an upset, he would also have been cheaper. The only thing LT has over Jones is ability to sell more tickets, but thats hardly worth it.

Then the Jets take out a pityful ad in a Kansas Newspaper trying to calm the rift in the locker room. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/jets-try-to-make-nice-with-thomas-jones/

Hazys wrote: »
    I disagree with your disagreement.

Jones' agent then allowed the Jets to match Chiefs contract offer, they refused and then paid LT more.

Have a source for that?

From what I've read on Nfl.com Jones refused to restructure his deal in any way at all.

According to this http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816f4a4f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The chiefs are paying Jones what the Jets would have had to pay him had they not released him, including his bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Have a source for that?

From what I've read on Nfl.com Jones refused to restructure his deal in any way at all.

According to this http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816f4a4f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The chiefs are paying Jones what the Jets would have had to pay him had they not released him, including his bonus.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/spielman-says-theres-no-pressure-to-do-a-deal-with-lt-today/
    But what of L.T.'s visit to New York? Per a league source, the Jets had a chance to match the two-year, $5 million contract that the Chiefs paid to running back Thomas Jones, but opted not to do so. If the Jets weren't willing to pay that much money to Jones after he had a career-high rushing total of 1,402 yards in 2009, why would they give that much or more to Tomlinson?

How exactly is LT a similar player to Washington? If Leon comes back healthy he is a much better player than LT is now. He can burst through a hole, he can catch, he is a dangerous man in space. LT is none of these things anymore. The move doesnt make sense to me at all, the Jets went on a full court press for a player that will only be used in certain goalline situations and as Tallaght said Jones(a 1000 yards rusher for the last three years) would have been cheaper. Madness but they do have personal seat licences to sell....

Have a source for that?

Thats incorrect, Jones wasnt place on waivers (he's a vet so he couldnt have been), he was cut, making him an unrestricted free agent. Free to sign any contract he wanted.

frostie500 wrote: »
    How exactly is LT a similar player to Washington? If Leon comes back healthy he is a much better player than LT is now. He can burst through a hole, he can catch, he is a dangerous man in space. LT is none of these things anymore. The move doesnt make sense to me at all, the Jets went on a full court press for a player that will only be used in certain goalline situations and as Tallaght said Jones(a 1000 yards rusher for the last three years) would have been cheaper. Madness but they do have personal seat licences to sell....

Similar style (thier talent similarities is debatable), neither are large, power backs like Jones, both have/had good speed and hands.

IMO the Jets RB situation has become less flexible and they have lost overall talent as Jones > LT.

Hazys wrote: »
    Similar style (thier talent similarities is debatable), neither are large, power backs like Jones, both have/had good speed and hands.

IMO the Jets RB situation has become less flexible and they have lost overall talent as Jones > LT.

I was looking at it more that right now LT is finished as an elite player in the NFL and Washington-recovery permitting- can be more than LT for this team. I think its a mistake to take in a player like LT that is clearly finished as an elite level back and really isnt cut out to be a number 2 either. The Jets overpaid and I think that Washington can be of far greater value to the team. To be honest I think that if the Jets were so eager to bring in a finished rb that Brian Westbrook would have been a better option. He has always been willing to be a role player when needed and they would have gotten him fairly cheap

• Advertisement

The Seahawks have traded for Chargers backup QB Charlie Whitehurst. The teams have flipped second rounders and the 'hawks have given up next years third for him as well. He has been signed to a two year $10 million deal.

Whitehurst has been a career third stringer behind Philip Rivers and Billy Volek. It seems like a lot of cash for a player that has never taken an NFL snap. He was a solid player in college with Clemson and was a four year starter. When he came out he drafted in the third round but had an NFL talent level but was let down by poor decision making and rushing throws. Maybe after spending a few years in the NFL with the Chargers he has overcome these issues.

One thing is for certain Pete Caroll hasnt spent this money and given up a valuable pick in the draft to have a backup for Hasselbeck-the job is Whitehurst's its just a matter of time. Matt is getting old and has had injury problems, Caroll knows that he is not the QB longterm in Seattle and he has brought in a younger player to be that man for the future. One interesting development from this is that the 'hawks will not be looking at QB at the top of the draft so we could see Clausen fall consideribly in the early running if tackle needy teams like Washington and Buffalo look to shore up the O-line instead of QB

frostie500 wrote: »
    The Seahawks have traded for Chargers backup QB Charlie Whitehurst. The teams have flipped second rounders and the 'hawks have given up next years third for him as well. He has been signed to a two year $10 million deal.

Whitehurst has been a career third stringer behind Philip Rivers and Billy Volek. It seems like a lot of cash for a player that has never taken an NFL snap. He was a solid player in college with Clemson and was a four year starter. When he came out he drafted in the third round but had an NFL talent level but was let down by poor decision making and rushing throws. Maybe after spending a few years in the NFL with the Chargers he has overcome these issues.

One thing is for certain Pete Caroll hasnt spent this money and given up a valuable pick in the draft to have a backup for Hasselbeck-the job is Whitehurst's its just a matter of time. Matt is getting old and has had injury problems, Caroll knows that he is not the QB longterm in Seattle and he has brought in a younger player to be that man for the future. One interesting development from this is that the 'hawks will not be looking at QB at the top of the draft so we could see Clausen fall consideribly in the early running if tackle needy teams like Washington and Buffalo look to shore up the O-line instead of QB

Wee bit of confusion and murmurings of unrest about this move in Seattle. The guy lasted 2 weeks as backup in his Rookie season before the Chargers traded for Volek. He's never thrown a pass in the NFL and there are a fair few free agents that could be or could have been enticed into a $10m, 2 year contract.

Other people are saying that Rivers was always going to be the starter in San Diego and not missing a game in four years is not going to give backups too many opportunities to shine. Plus, we gambled on a backup QB last time round and it worked out pretty well.

However I see Whitehurst as a solid backup with upside - a calculated gamble. He may be a flop, he may be a good mentor for a Rookie QB, he may develop himself into a starter. Carroll has picked a decent quarterback or two in his time, so I think he should be afforded the benefit of the doubt. Also, moving down 20 spots in a draft of this quality is not a serious sacrifice, so it's really only giving up next years 3rd round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

I don't see this lad becoming the long term replacement to Hass.
    Still think Carroll should draft a QB in what is one of the best drafts ever for top level QBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

After a poor free agency so far, as a Chargers fan I'm very happy with this trade. The Chargers have effectively given up nothing as he'll never see any meaningful time in SD. I'd say they've been waiting a long time for this offer to be made and they can now get a player onto their roster who will actually contribute something! I've no idea what he's like as a player but from a Seahawks POV the fact that he was 3rd string to a guy who was traded in afterwards would set off alarm bells. I also wouldn't be too pleased that his best completion % (best QB stat imo) over a full preseason is ~56% but that could just be because he doesn't see time with the first team.

It seems using this value chart, the swap in 2nd round draft picks is worth approx. a mid 3rd rounder in itself which adding in the 3rd next year seems like a huge amount.

I don't see this lad becoming the long term replacement to Hass.
    Still think Carroll should draft a QB in what is one of the best drafts ever for top level QBs.

I tihnk only one of the Qb's this year is worth a first round pick. . . The Qb position is the one position I dont like this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/22/ravens.cory.redding.ap/index.html

The Baltimore Ravens and former Seattle defensive end Cory Redding have agreed on a two-year deal.

Redding started only three games for the Seahawks last season but has 18 career sacks over seven NFL seasons, the first six with Detroit. The 29-year-old has played in 101 games, 79 of them as a starter.

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Redding fills a void left by the departure of Dwan Edwards, who signed as a free agent with the Buffalo Bills last week.

Redding was an unrestricted free agent. His best season came in 2006, when he had 16 starts and finished with eight sacks and 70 tackles.

He was drafted by Detroit in the third round in 2003 out of Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

I tihnk only one of the Qb's this year is worth a first round pick. . . The Qb position is the one position I dont like this year.

Tim Tebow yeah?

IMO Bradford will go first overall. Clausen will go early 2nd, tebow will go late second, McCoy will go third.

Tebow could drop as low as late 3rd.

Thats my opinion anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 seanin98

Bradford first, McCoy second ... Tebow late second round i would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big rumours that McNabb will be traded to the Rams for their 2nd round pick(33rd). If this goes through it would blow the draft wide open as most likely the Rams wouldn't go Qb with the top pick.

Advertisement