Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] RPSI 141 &142

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

reading lord lucan link there have been a few recent issues that caused this, including brake problems. they were due to be retired soon enough anywya, no point spending a lot of time and money to repair them and rettire them a few months later.

48 years is a long service life, I'd hope they get the same out of the 071's and 201's. Some of the 201's have been mothballed already though

Maybe they were nearing retirement but there need not be the usual rush to scrap them! The use of 071 type locos for pilot duty, pw trains etc seems, to me, to be a waste of resources not to mention fuel. All I'm saying is that a private company (such as the SLNCR or CDRJC) would not have been so wasteful with money. There is no accountability in CIE - look at the mothballed 201s, the ongoing scrapping of MkIIIs - to be followed, no doubt, by the premature withdrawal and scrapping of the MkIVs. CIE ....Cash In Everything. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Some of the 201's have been mothballed already though

Its called "early retirement", the A's would have long outlived them. :p

I blame Dick Fearn for the 201 and Mk3 debacle. His intention seemed to be to eliminate locomotive hauled services regardless of cost or life expectancy of the existing rolling stock. I'm not trying to turn this into a loco vs railcar debate - I'm talking about wastage here. I do agree that the Cravens and Mk2s had to go, I wasn't particularly a fan of the former when in service, but lets face it - the Mk3s still had another 10 years at least.

And why are 34 year old 071s (of which, six have not received an overhaul in years) still in service while 15 year old 201s are rotting in Inchicore? Getting back to the 141s, I'd assume the lack of maintenance was becoming a safety hazard - it wasn't uncommon to see 141s running with brake pads worn down to the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The use of 071 type locos for pilot duty, pw trains etc seems, to me, to be a waste of resources not to mention fuel. All I'm saying is that a private company (such as the SLNCR or CDRJC) would not have been so wasteful with money.

Don't forget the 181's ;)
    Karsini wrote: »
    And why are 34 year old 071s (of which, six have not received an overhaul in years) still in service while 15 year old 201s are rotting in Inchicore?

Because 201's are railbreakers

Is that not due to poor track maintenance?

• Advertisement

There are still heaps of them being used in the UK, are their tracks any stronger?

They could always flog them off to Egypt. :p

Is that not due to poor track maintenance?

partially but there are also some routes where the track bed is not rated to take their weight
    There are still heaps of them being used in the UK, are their tracks any stronger?

yes they (track bed & rails) are. I presume the gauge also affects it as the 66's are about 14 tonnes heavier. The "Sheds" are also standard across much of europe, exported as surplus from the UK

They could always flog them off to Egypt. :p

They should flog off all the fecking CIE managers to Egypt instead. :D Which reminds me whatever happened to CIE Consult (?) a division of the company that use to send CIE engineers abroad to 'help' Third World countries.....probably also defunct like.......ohh time to take my medication!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Don't forget the 181's ;)

They've all been withdrawn.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They've all been withdrawn.

All the more reason to not forget them then :p

• Advertisement

partially but there are also some routes where the track bed is not rated to take their weight

yes they (track bed & rails) are. I presume the gauge also affects it as the 66's are about 14 tonnes heavier. The "Sheds" are also standard across much of europe, exported as surplus from the UK
    Looking at them it looks as if IR were flogged off a load of rebadged surplus freight locomotives with slight cosmetic modifications to the roof. :p

Imcidently the 66 holds the world record for haulage, they can't be too bad.

All the more reason to not forget them then :p

The ITG have 190 down at Moyasta so they'll never be forgotten.:)

The ITG have 190 down at Moyasta so they'll never be forgotten.:)

Until the sea air takes care of it. :(

Until the sea air takes care of it. :(

Sad but true.:(

Since you are unlikely to ever see it in real life
    SAM_0248.jpg

all 4 liveries together :)
    It would be great if they preserved a 4th 141/181 and painted one in each of the liveries but can't see this happening since the two we've been rambling on about in this thread are alraedy the same colour

Since you are unlikely to ever see it in real life
    all 4 liveries together :)
    It would be great if they preserved a 4th 141/181 and painted one in each of the liveries but can't see this happening since the two we've been rambling on about in this thread are alraedy the same colour
    Any idea what colours ITG are going to paint their two locos?

It wouldnt make sense to have them black & Tan like the two 14X's that were sent up to IRPS last week.

Like with the A's it would be nice if the kept an A class in Supertrain livery for runs with the Mark 2"s

At the moment the ITG have 1 'A' Class in the older CIE Black & Tan livery,and the other in the Black with white trim.

003:loco_05.jpg

039:Copy1%20of%202007_12220013.jpg

At the moment the ITG have 1 'A' Class in the older CIE Black & Tan livery,and the other in the Black with white trim.

039:Copy1%20of%202007_12220013.jpg
    Im hoping to see A39 running at Downpatrick next weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just a heads up. There is reports going around that the 8 141s left in service are to be withdrawn from service on Monday morning. They did well hanging in on, they were all ment to be withdrawn on the 10th of Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Who is ITG?

• Advertisement

Who is ITG?

The Irish Traction Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

The Irish Traction Group.

Thanks I will google their site.

About the ITG, I'm not sure they have many options regarding repainting the locos. I've heard that the RPSI were not permitted to use the CIÉ "broken wheel" logo on the 141s - but this isn't really relevant as they didn't have the logo when new anyway. But I'd say they wouldn't be allowed to use the 1972 "Supertrain" livery either as it's very close to the current livery. I wonder could we see 124 outshopped as B124 in grey?

I wonder could we see 124 outshopped as B124 in grey?

apparently it will be.
    someone in the know on another site this was the plan.

About the ITG, I'm not sure they have many options regarding repainting the locos. I've heard that the RPSI were not permitted to use the CIÉ "broken wheel" logo on the 141s - but this isn't really relevant as they didn't have the logo when new anyway. But I'd say they wouldn't be allowed to use the 1972 "Supertrain" livery either as it's very close to the current livery. I wonder could we see 124 outshopped as B124 in grey?

I was never mad about the Grey and Yellow colour scheme the 121's started life in tbh. I think the livery it ended it's life on suits it best.

1960's Livery:http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locos/121%20Class/slides/122%20(1).html

2009 Livery:http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locos/121%20Class/slides/134%20(6).html

Oh No!!! I don't remember the 121's in their original livery but I would rather seem them running without any paint than in the awful 'toothpaste' livery. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

And why are 34 year old 071s (of which, six have not received an overhaul in years) still in service while 15 year old 201s are rotting in Inchicore?

Don't worry - my informants indicate that Tricky Dicky shall soon be getting started on ridding Ireland of its 071 problem. The six unrefurbished ones are next up for the chop. Did anyone mention he hates locomotives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

What locos are actually still in service now then...cant be many?

corktina wrote: »
    What locos are actually still in service now then...cant be many?

There is 8 141s left. Due to be withdrawn tomorrow. But we'll see.

Don't know the other 3.

All 071s are still on the go.

077 and 080 are acting up a bit.

Of the 201 class. 201-205 and 210-217 are all in storage at Inchicore works. The rest are all on the go.

215-217 are reportedly being prepared to return to service as the 071s are to replace the 141s on pilot and per way duties. But there is only really a need for 8-10 of the 071s as it is form day to day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

There is 8 141s left. Due to be withdrawn tomorrow. But we'll see.

Don't know the other 3.

All 071s are still on the go.

077 and 080 are acting up a bit.

Of the 201 class. 201-205 and 210-217 are all in storage at Inchicore works. The rest are all on the go.

215-217 are reportedly being prepared to return to service as the 071s are to replace the 141s on pilot and per way duties. But there is only really a need for 8-10 of the 071s as it is form day to day.

very bleak....i do like a nice loco...railways not as interesting when its all fixed formation units (inc mk4/201s):(

Advertisement