Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] RPSI 141 &142

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They will only produce powered versions I reckon, DCC (digital control) allows you to run them back to back without issue, correct lighting and all.

@Flameofthewest

AS RTDH already said they are all motorised. Also have directional lights, headlights and taillights which turn on automatically once power and direction set :)

Shows how far I am lost with OO gauge technology and all these new electronics ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfortunitally as a kid my trainsets consisted of British Rail as Irish stock was unavailible. In more recent years Hornby and Jouef produced some absolute horrid stuff with no thought but into them. :eek:

What is that Hornby unit meant to be?

MYOB wrote: »
    What is that Hornby unit meant to be?
    It looks like some type of a pass off of a Brit Rail loco dressed up in IR colours, disgusting and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hamndegger wrote: »
    You should know this better than most; didn't you know and help out the guys who founded it?

Given your nasty, snide opinions directed at virtually every transport operator out there, I would suspect that you are most unwelcome in any of them for that alone.

What's your own track record, apart from stalking people here and thinking you know far more than you actually do? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It looks like some type of a pass off of a Brit Rail loco dressed up in IR colours, disgusting and cheap.

Its a BR class 35 "Hymek" dressed in CIE colours. Where the idea for it even came from is beyond me, it awful. Though the newer class 35 models in proper colours are quite good

• Advertisement

Its a BR class 35 "Hymek" dressed in CIE colours. Where the idea for it even came from is beyond me, it awful. Though the newer class 35 models in proper colours are quite good

I am a very appreciative fan of BR loco also, this is unacceptable, you must agree Murphy Models are the business.

You have nine of them :eek:

I have to say I'm not a modeller (save for trying to build one for my kids) but I love the Murphy Models locos and carriages - except for the hideous unrealistic Hornby/Bachmann couplings. Any ideas about how to replace these as I would be happy having them 'non-running' but looking authentic.

While I would no longer consider myself a serious railway enthusiast, certain things still do it for me and I couldn't resist this G scale Wickham railcar which I bought last year. Perfect in every detail and a bargain at
    £175-00 in ready- to- run condition. :)
    new+012.JPG

I am a very appreciative fan of BR loco also, this is unacceptable, you must agree Murphy Models are the business.

You have nine of them :eek:

9 so far... ;)

They are simply brilliant, much more detaild than 90% of the BR models.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

From Railscene Irelands fotopic site this evening.

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p63394726.html

Unfortunitally as a kid my trainsets consisted of British Rail as Irish stock was unavailible. In more recent years Hornby and Jouef produced some absolute horrid stuff with no thought but into them. :eek:
    The Lartigue Monorail in Kerry have one of the Hornby models in a layout of Listowel station, it looks horrible alright. I don't have much in the way of models, 146, B181, 3 Cravens (including 1508) and 2 Executive Mk3s. Also got some bus models as gifts, Dublin Bus RH and RV classes and the 1988 MCW demonstrator.

Back to the real things, they look quite amazing in that livery. Pity the ITG won't be using them on the farewell tour as I'll be on it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as most of the standard model-buyers are likely to know what locos CIE/IR had, what the hell were they thinking?

I can't see the "buying on patriotism alone" market being big, unless/even if they were doing a complete ready to run trainset with that + similarly liveried carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

Too be fair both the Hornby and Jouef models, as well as the Lima attempt at hiding a BR Class 33 in orange and black are all from the late 70's early 80's. They can hardly be classed as recent releases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

What's your own track record, apart from stalking people here and thinking you know far more than you actually do? :D

I'm just a guy on the ground who admires the work of RPSI, ITG and others from afar and gone on the odd steam trip or that. I have to admit that there much good work done by groups like them and others in trying to keep a piece of our transport history still alive in spite of the begrudgers such as you. I must say the negative vibes you give doesn't do you any favours as you have a lot of decent input to offer when you stop being so bitter for the sake of it.

Dromod is one place that gets a lot of bad words from you and others; I have seen the pics and Telly clips and it's not a place I'd take my kids unless they want to play in rust but there clearly is a lot of bad vibes between you and them; what 's the story with that, who did what to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

As far as I know some of the profits from the sales of the models went to the funding
    Murphy Models

I've got 9 of these in various liveries, they are stunning models
    SAM_0022.jpg

Contributed to the preservation but not the repainting, I understand.

The RPSI set just passed by me here in Drumcondra less than five minutes ago, headed towards Connolly. Didn't get to see the locomotives, just saw the last couple of coaches and the steam van.

Decided to go in the end,thoroughly enjoyable day out and i got my pic taken sitting in the cab of a 141!:D:D

I'll post up some pics in a while.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Decided to go in the end,thoroughly enjoyable day out and i got my pic taken sitting in the cab of a 141!:D:D

I'll post up some pics in a while.:)

Did you have marmite sandwiches too? Just kidding - child minding so I didn't get a chance to travel. I will miss the ITG one too so looking forward to your pics!

Did you have marmite sandwiches too? Just kidding - child minding so I didn't get a chance to travel. I will miss the ITG one too so looking forward to your pics!

Ha Ha no,no marmite sambos,thermos flask or notepad!:D

2 hardcore gricers beside me though,notepads,stopwatches and GPS unit. They must've been in their 70's and loving every minute of it.:)

Especially for JD because he loves steam so much.:)

P1010423.jpg

P1010439.jpg

I'm uploading the rest to photobucket,i'll post a link to the album when i have it up.

• Advertisement

Super pics - would almost have me dashing off to buy some of Murphys Models but I'm still waiting for somene to tell me what to do about the awful Hornby/Bachmann couplings. Thanks for posting!

Super pics - would almost have me dashing off to buy some of Murphys Models but I'm still waiting for somene to tell me what to do about the awful Hornby/Bachmann couplings. Thanks for posting!

Take them off and put the shield bit in place - like my picture in previous posts.
    If you need then to work you can always glue the shield in place and stick some Kadee couplings onto the front of it, much less obtrusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

lord lucan wrote: »
    From Railscene Irelands fotopic site this evening.

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p63394726.html

That is a nice shot of that train. I noticed more have been put up from yesterday. I like this shot.

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p63425776.html

Did not realise many people went out and photographed trains now.

CSaber wrote: »
    That is a nice shot of that train. I noticed more have been put up from yesterday. I like this shot.

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p63425776.html

Did not realise many people went out and photographed trains now.

There's still plenty out there spending their free time taking photos of trains. It may be dropping off a little as Loco haulage on IE becomes extinct but there's still plenty out there gricing the railcars.

I do it myself occasionally, the last time was in Connolly about two weeks ago but before that the last one was the IRRS Mark 3 tour last summer. Usually upload the photos to Facebook.

For all the serious anoraks here's footage from You Tube! :D

Spotted myself on that vid!:D

Nice clip. You can clearly hear the higher idle speed of B142, it has a different engine to B141. B141 has the original GM 8-567CR type while B142 was refitted with a GM 8-645E such as those fitted to 181s and the old C class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

And you refer to "anoraks"?

You went searching to find this video.:D

Im going on the ITG tour to support a good friend, get drunk and scare the ****e out of Gricers/trainspotters/enthusiasts etc.

Advertisement