Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] RPSI 141 &142

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,079 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The other 3 are 147(limerick),162(limerick)and 171(inch).162 and 147 will head to inch tomoro for withdrawl.as for 071s,072 and 075 are in ballina.088 and 074 are at inch along with 080.076 is on tara's,as is 086.078 and 079 are in waterford.086 is in athlone.077 portlaoise.as for the rest,anyone?? 218 also out an about workin timber trains last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Since you are unlikely to ever see it in real life
    http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/chriswilliams115/Coffee%20Table%20Layout/SAM_0248.jpg

all 4 liveries together :)
    It would be great if they preserved a 4th 141/181 and painted one in each of the liveries but can't see this happening since the two we've been rambling on about in this thread are alraedy the same colour
    How about the usual livery with them covered in soot, grease and dirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thats PATINA.....with a capital PAT of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    How about the usual livery with them covered in soot, grease and dirt?

in time, Victor, in time, sure they're only new :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And with doors from another loco - in a different livery - on the engine compartment side panels (or whatever the technical term is). :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Spot the pair of 141's crossing Butt Bridge 30 seconds into this 1960's period movie. (Footage More than likely taken from the top of Liberty Hall)

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68382

Spot the pair of 141's crossing Butt Bridge 30 seconds into this 1960's period movie. (Footage More than likely taken from the top of Liberty Hall)

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68382

Thanks for posting - really nice post 1966 footage. While I was on the Pathe website came across this nice piece of Lartigue footage too:
    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=11629

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The withdrawal isn't complete yet: 144 is still working away at Connolly.

To be honest, I can't see how IE can function effectively without a small 141 fleet. Having 071s and 201s act as pilot locomotives would be a disaster on cost and fuel efficiency grounds. They also seem to have issues about starting up in the morning for PW work.

I would have thought that refurbishing the remaining 141s or acquiring a small fleet of small locomotives would have been a far better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hungerford wrote: »

To be honest, I can't see how IE can function effectively without a small 141 fleet. Having 071s and 201s act as pilot locomotives would be a disaster on cost and fuel efficiency grounds. They also seem to have issues about starting up in the morning for PW work.

I would have thought that refurbishing the remaining 141s or acquiring a small fleet of small locomotives would have been a far better option.

I could see IE leasing them back off ITG or RPSI. :p

IR are not the only company that disposes of their finest locos.

A Burlington Northern "Funeral train" of EMD's E9's heading to the scrapper. :eek:

Hungerford wrote: »

I already mentioned this point earlier on in this thread but what you are overlooking is that CIE/IE 'do not operate effectively' - they are not only a financial disaster but they they also no longer serve any useful function to a great majority of the population.

• Advertisement
Advertisement