Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] RPSI 141 &142

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Im going on the ITG tour to support a good friend, get drunk and scare the ****e out of Gricers/trainspotters/enthusiasts etc.

"drunkenly in charge of a train"

I don't believe I've come across this offence before :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a very attractive livery for locos wasn't it! Why-o-why did (C)IE insist on splashing Orange (of all colours!) over everything for so long ? The green livery of the old carriges was also very attractive and approriate and has made a welcome return now (in part)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

corktina wrote: »
    a very attractive livery for locos wasn't it! Why-o-why did (C)IE insist on splashing Orange (of all colours!) over everything for so long ? The green livery of the old carriges was also very attractive and approriate and has made a welcome return now (in part)

I believe they went with more orange/tan to improve cab visibility from a distance.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I believe they went with more orange/tan to improve cab visibility from a distance.

Similar to that horrid yellow front all IE & BR locos & MUs seem to have these days :(

Though the all over IE orange was my favourite livery on these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think the ghastly orange paint scheme dates from around 1964 when CIE paid a fortune to a Scandinavian design company to come up with a new corporate image which also included the 'broken wheel' logo which replaced the 'flying snail'.

logo-CIE.gif

The black and orange livery as applied to the 'Super Train' (MkII stock) always looked very good until the addition of the white toothpaste stripe in later years. Today, in common with British rail companies the emphasis is on design over durability. The various colour schemes applied to the Enterprise, the MkIV's and the 22000's are completely impractical and show ever bit of dirt/brake dust etc.etc....

• Advertisement

The various colour schemes applied to the Enterprise, the MkIV's and the 22000's are completely impractical and show ever bit of dirt/brake dust etc.etc....

As did the old, old silver. Lasted about 2 hours before it was nearly black again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think the ghastly orange paint scheme dates from around 1964 when CIE paid a fortune to a Scandinavian design company to come up with a new corporate image which also included the 'broken wheel' logo which replaced the 'flying snail'.

I always thought the Flying Snail was ahead of it's time tbh,it was a great looking logo and much classier than the 'broken wheel' logo.

P1010461.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Hamndegger wrote: »

what on the sides? and on the carriages???

corktina wrote: »
    what on the sides? and on the carriages???

Woodie's had a deal going on orange paint that year.

As did the old, old silver. Lasted about 2 hours before it was nearly black again :pac:

Do you mean something like this? An unidentifiable A-class at Dungarvan in the early 1960s by my old pal Joe St.Leger. :D

utacrockery002.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Do you mean something like this? An unidentifiable A-class at Dungarvan in the early 1960s by my old pal Joe St.Leger. :D

utacrockery002.jpg

Your havin a laugh JD.:D

Obviously Inchicore ran out of black paint.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I think the ghastly orange paint scheme dates from around 1964 when CIE paid a fortune to a Scandinavian design company to come up with a new corporate image.

Nah - it was done in-house. Remarkably, the designer's inspiration was a friendly tabby cat - and that's according to CIE's official accounts.

What on earth happened to that, someone just dump a load of sludge over it, noway thats just normal dirt build up
    Hungerford wrote: »
    Nah - it was done in-house. Remarkably, the designer's inspiration was a friendly tabby cat - and that's according to CIE's official accounts.

WTF, LOL :D
    "only in Ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

What on earth happened to that, someone just dump a load of sludge over it, noway thats just normal dirt build upQUOTE]

Nothing more than some oil by the looks of it. Fairly common for the early crossley engines.

What on earth happened to that, someone just dump a load of sludge over it, noway thats just normal dirt build up

Nothing more than some oil by the looks of it. Fairly common for the early crossley engines.

over the whole of the front of it, how was that a common happening:confused:

over the whole of the front of it, how was that a common happening:confused:

I believe the original exhaust was located above the cab door in the center of the roof, hence when the engine throws oil it would usually go over the cab front and down the sides of the cab - quickest way to the ground!!

When they were re-engined the exhaust ports were changed to the center - was still common to see oil sludge down the sides of the locos, prefectly normal for a 2 stroke engine. However, the old photo there is a little more than abit of oil. Maybe the sump leaked into the crank case, thrus spewing un-burnt oil out the exhaust. Not un-common with the old crossley engines, hence the re-engining to GM power units.

I believe the original exhaust was located above the cab door in the center of the roof, hence when the engine throws oil it would usually go over the cab front and down the sides of the cab - quickest way to the ground!!

When they were re-engined the exhaust ports were changed to the center - was still common to see oil sludge down the sides of the locos, prefectly normal for a 2 stroke engine. However, the old photo there is a little more than abit of oil. Maybe the sump leaked into the crank case, thrus spewing un-burnt oil out the exhaust. Not un-common with the old crossley engines, hence the re-engining to GM power units.

Ah, I see. Interesting, I imagine it made the windows pretty horrid too. Wiper covered in sludgy oil, water, wsher fluid and god only knows what else. What a pleasant surface to look through :D

I once heard someone say that with the Crossley engines, the A class often had more oil outside the engine than inside. That photo certainly supports that assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

WTF, LOL :D
    "only in Ireland"

Seriously! I don't have it to hand but I'll dig out the exact quote when I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All Murphy models of the 141 in original black and tan are sold out / finished production, anyone any idea if they will be released again? You would imagine there would be some demand for them with the restoration of these two locos.

141_class_1.jpg

• Advertisement

All Murphy models of the 141 in original black and tan are sold out / finished production, anyone any idea if they will be released again? You would imagine there would be some demand for them with the restoration of these two locos.

141_class_1.jpg

you can still get them in a few places, and on ebay every so often. IIRC Marks models have at least one in Dun Laoghaire but its a display model, there may be others

EDIT: I already have B181 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

you can still get them in a few places, and on ebay every so often. IIRC Marks models have at least one in Dun Laoghaire but its a display model, there may be others

EDIT: I already have B181 :P
    You will need a pair of them now, I only see one of them in your collection. :p

You will need a pair of them now, I only see one of them in your collection. :p

tis planned, I'll see what I come across :)

A post on IRN seems to be suggesting that the entire 141 class were withdrawn today. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Karsini wrote: »
    A post on IRN seems to be suggesting that the entire 141 class were withdrawn today. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

The ITG have this on their website in relation to their tour in March:"ITG has become aware that the 141 class are being taken out of service, with several remaining locomotives working to Inchicore, and the rest to follow imminently. ITG has been in contact with Iarnrod Eireann, and it is still intended to provide two 141 class locomotives for the ITG Railtour on 6th March. These will be examined over the coming days to ensure the locomotives are fit to work the train."

http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/index.htm

Extraordinary isn't it? What do you think it can be, tin worm, swine flu or the dreaded lurgi? One day a perfectably serviceable locomotive, the next so many tons of scrap metal - you would never know that CIE was a State company unaccountable to anybody would you?

lord lucan wrote: »
    The ITG have this on their website in relation to their tour in March:"ITG has become aware that the 141 class are being taken out of service, with several remaining locomotives working to Inchicore, and the rest to follow imminently. ITG has been in contact with Iarnrod Eireann, and it is still intended to provide two 141 class locomotives for the ITG Railtour on 6th March. These will be examined over the coming days to ensure the locomotives are fit to work the train."

http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/index.htm

Aww boo :(

Still 48 years isin't a bad run!

Aww boo :(

Still 48 years isin't a bad run!

Glad i went on last Sundays spin to Longford!!

Extraordinary isn't it? What do you think it can be, tin worm, swine flu or the dreaded lurgi? One day a perfectably serviceable locomotive, the next so many tons of scrap metal - you would never know that CIE was a State company unaccountable to anybody would you?

Got it on one JD, got it in one.

• Advertisement

Got it on one JD, got it in one.

reading lord lucan link there have been a few recent issues that caused this, including brake problems. they were due to be retired soon enough anywya, no point spending a lot of time and money to repair them and rettire them a few months later.

48 years is a long service life, I'd hope they get the same out of the 071's and 201's. Some of the 201's have been mothballed already though

Advertisement