Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] RPSI 141 &142

Options
  • 17-02-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭

141 & 142 have been re painted in their original black and tan livery in Inchicore over the last few days.

Example

Keep an eye out for them in Heuston on Sunday (21st) morning, heading a RPSI special at 09.55.

They have been preserved by the RPSI, well 141 has and 142 expected to be handed over iirc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Apparently they've been "re-numbered" B141 & B142 too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

They are out again with the Irish Traction Group on
    The 141 Class Farewell Railtour
    Saturday 6th March 2010
    Proposed Route:
    Dublin Connolly (departure 07:20) – Mullingar – Dromod (extended break to view the Cavan & Leitrim Railway) – Sligo (lunch break) – Longford (break) - Dublin Connolly (arrival 19:45)
    Requested Motive Power (subject to availability):
    2 x Iarnród Éireann 141 Class locomotives

Coaching Stock:
    RPSI heritage set of coaches

Special Features:
    Bar and buffet, railtour raffle, book and sales stands.

Fares:
    Adult - £ 40. (€47)
    Concession (Under 16 or Over 65) - £ 30. (€33)
    All ITG members will receive a £ 2 (€2) reduction on the above fares.

More info here: http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/next_railtour.htm

Quite where the sudden involvment of the RPSI in diesel preservation leaves the hardworking ITG is hard to know. Anyway the ITG tour should be much more exciting as there's a stopover at Dromod to view the Cavan & Leitrim's unrivalled collection of derelict ice cream vans, armoured personel carriers, buses etc.etc as well as meeting the proprietor! :D

I think the RPSI's main interest will always be Steam. An ideal scenario would be a link up between the ITG & RPSI where when the ITG return a diesel loco to running order they could have the RPSI run it with their MKII's or Cravens on the mainline. They could split the cost of insurance between them as well as crew training,running costs etc.

I was going to do the RPSI trip this weekend but decided to do the ITG one instead. I'll just take loads of pics of the locos at Dromod while everyone else is off galavanting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭interlocked

141 & 142 won't be on the ITG trip, it'll be two of the other eight 141's that remain in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Two photos

Pic1
    Pic2

Have to say, they look well!

• Advertisement

They look great in that livery!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

They look mighty fine following their repaint

Just a little taster for what to expect at Dromod.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Maybe you should join up with them and give them some of your years of experience in preservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Some weed killer wouldn't go astray. :p

• Advertisement

Ham'nd'egger - Would there be room for both of us?

Ham'nd'egger - Would there be room for both of us?

I'm not the one with all this preservation experience but you claim to be; that's why I am saying you should join. A guy with your knowledge is bound to be a big asset to them, don't we all agree?

Well Ham'nd'egger there's no answer to that but if I was involved at Dromod my first action would be to give Hammond Lane a call. :D

Well Ham'nd'egger there's no answer to that but if I was involved at Dromod my first action would be to give Hammond Lane a call. :D

There is an answer; yes or no because....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Because, if you do a search on the Cavan and Leitrim railway museum you'll find that it has gone beyond its original remit, and decided to preserve everything and anything in sight, without looking at the feasibility of whether it can be restored or not.

Ham'nd'egger - this is becoming a bit tedious but, as I understand the situation, you cannot join the Cavan & Leitrim Railway as it is a private limited company. I wouldn't be interested in getting involved in preservation again - if indeed that's what is actually going on at Domod - and anyway what's needed there is one of these. I bet it would make short work of all those buses and ice cream vans. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

WTF!

I see they now have an old RTE OB unit! Further proof that its nothing more than a junk yard run on the whims of a daft dipstick who has no regard for customer satisfaction or rail preservation on a wider scale. (The key to success in any business)

Personally, I feel that any money in terms of state funded grant aid should be recouped after a thorough investigation into how a decent preservation idea turned into Steptoe & Son.

On a more related note about the 141 class preservation, what is it with the preservation set up in Ireland? The RPSI are now preserving diesels. The ITG have been banging away at it for years. Some bunch of head bangers down south are also at it. And now I hear that the royalty from the mainland are also setting up a diesel preservation gang. I'd suggest that they all take their dicks out of their hands, sit in a room and discuss a method of unifying their ambitions.

And rail enthusiasts wonder why the cynics like me poor so much scorn on them.:rolleyes:

Edit: The repaint job on those RPSI 141s was paid for out of sponsorship apparently. So no tax payers dosh was used. Thats the "official" line anyway.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Edit: The repaint job on those RPSI 141s was paid for out of sponsorship apparently. So no tax payers dosh was used. Thats the "official" line anyway.

I reckon Murphy Models paid for it (though can't confirm), they paid for the preservation of one of the loco's in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I reckon Murphy Models paid for it (though can't confirm), they paid for the preservation of one of the loco's in the first place.

Yup. Thats the name I heard alright.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Yup. Thats the name I heard alright.

As far as I know some of the profits from the sales of the models went to the funding
    Murphy Models

I've got 9 of these in various liveries, they are stunning models
    SAM_0022.jpg

• Advertisement

Cookie_Monster I hope that you have some Cravens to go with all those locos! I'm nearly as sad as you and if your not careful you will provoke me into posting a pic of my unrivalled collection of postboxes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cookie_Monster I hope that you have some Cravens to go with all those locos! I'm nearly as sad as you and if your not careful you will provoke me into posting a pic of my unrivalled collection of postboxes. :D

There is one behind 192.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Cookie Monster, you might want to attribute copyright of the first two photos to the person who owns them... ;)

Cookie Monster, you might want to attribute copyright of the first two photos to the person who owns them... ;)

no, not really

@ Judgement Day

9 Cravens to go with them :) 6 (5 std & restaurant) ie IR/IE with dual white stripe, 3 (2std & 1 1st) with one stripe, to match the black and tan locos.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

copyright goes to google images search then :P:p

On the contrary, it belongs to me. I don't mind images being used, but I believe you should at least credit the source from which you located them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

As far as I know some of the profits from the sales of the models went to the funding
    Murphy Models

I've got 9 of these in various liveries, they are stunning models
    SAM_0022.jpg

Gosh, they are excellent models. Impressive detailling. What scale and are they static or do they have motors?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Gosh, they are excellent models. Impressive detailling. What scale and are they static or do they have motors?

00 scale and they have Bachmann motors.

Ham'nd'egger - this is becoming a bit tedious but, as I understand the situation, you cannot join the Cavan & Leitrim Railway as it is a private limited company.

You should know this better than most; didn't you know and help out the guys who founded it?
    I wouldn't be interested in getting involved in preservation again

Given your nasty, snide opinions directed at virtually every transport operator out there, I would suspect that you are most unwelcome in any of them for that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is their website, they are an excellent company and the first to produce replicas of some of CIEs finest locomotives.

Unfortunitally as a kid my trainsets consisted of British Rail as Irish stock was unavailible. In more recent years Hornby and Jouef produced some absolute horrid stuff with no thought but into them. :eek:

Murphys Models are currently working on the GM 121 loco, I hope they can produce a powered and non powered version as it would be nice to purchase a pair of them.

• Advertisement

Murphys Models are currently working on the GM 121 loco, I hope they can produce a powered and non powered version as it would be nice to purchase a pair of them.

They will only produce powered versions I reckon, DCC (digital control) allows you to run them back to back without issue, correct lighting and all.

@Flameofthewest

AS RTDH already said they are all motorised. Also have directional lights, headlights and taillights which turn on automatically once power and direction set :)

Advertisement