Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "WWE NXT" thread ***Contains SPOILERS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

FHTHEVOB wrote: »
    Sympathy only gets them so far with the losing streak what egged it on was Cole and Miz saying ''This guy thinks he's so great'' What brought them forward was his recent shoot promo that's what brought the character of Danielson to life in terms of audience participation finding out exactly who this guy is they may not have before.

We're not going to disagree on that but the point still stands - why did they have him job out to nobodies every week? As I said it just makes Cole and Miz seem right when you have a guy, who has a reputation as being an internet darling, come to WWE and lose every week. When Cole said, 'The only guy I saw tap out of this competition was you." He's not actually wrong and many of the casual fans will see Cole's point.
    FHTHEVOB wrote:
    Vince never wants to give the two fingers to the IWC all he wants to do is illicit reactions from them that's all. No matter how much they bitch they still watch at the end of the day. The Danielson push is definitely deliberate he's so well regarded by the guys backstage it isn't even funny.

Vince never wants to give two fingers to the IWC? Three letters for you - ECW.

Never mind how well liked he is. Orton was a third generation superstar who they had high hopes for and when he first started out on the road they paired him with Holly who in Orton's own words beat the crap out of him. They were trying to take him down a notch and make him see how hard the WWE was. This is the way they operate. Even if you are highly rated they force you to scrap and claw your way to the top unless you are one of Vince's big giants.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If Bryan came into NXt just beat everyone and ended up beating miz for the us title it would of bored the pants off most people.

I think WWE creating the loser got peoples attention, wwe having cole talk trash about him got attention, having the miz slap him around got attention. I know having him look like abit of afool upset some but the eventual repsonse with Danielson using his own name, going after cole, punching the miz and then beating him on raw was a pretty good pay off. I think more people developed an interest in him this way than they ever would of if he just won nxt.

I also think the pairing of Kaval with his pros will get him more attention and focus than any other wrestler on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FHTHEVOB

DM-ICE wrote: »
    If Bryan came into NXt just beat everyone and ended up beating miz for the us title it would of bored the pants off most people.

I think WWE creating the loser got peoples attention, wwe having cole talk trash about him got attention, having the miz slap him around got attention. I know having him look like abit of afool upset some but the eventual repsonse with Danielson using his own name, going after cole, punching the miz and then beating him on raw was a pretty good pay off. I think more people developed an interest in him this way than they ever would of if he just won nxt.

I also think the pairing of Kaval with his pros will get him more attention and focus than any other wrestler on the show.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

DM-ICE wrote: »
    =

If they're planning a carbon copy of Miz/Danielson then it will fail. Kaval needs to win this, there's no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FHTHEVOB

We're not going to disagree on that but the point still stands - why did they have him job out to nobodies every week? As I said it just makes Cole and Miz seem right when you have a guy, who has a reputation as being an internet darling, come to WWE and lose every week. When Cole said, 'The only guy I saw tap out of this competition was you." He's not actually wrong and many of the casual fans will see Cole's point.

Vince never wants to give two fingers to the IWC? Three letters for you - ECW.

Never mind how well liked he is. Orton was a third generation superstar who they had high hopes for and when he first started out on the road they paired him with Holly who in Orton's own words beat the crap out of him. They were trying to take him down a notch and make him see how hard the WWE was. This is the way they operate. Even if you are highly rated they force you to scrap and claw your way to the top unless you are one of Vince's big giants.

ECW died in 2001. What Vince McMahon did was try to beat a dead horse for money but it didn't work so he did something else with it.

Randy Orton was nowhere near as good in 02 as Bryan is now. Orton got good and developed in the evolution stable and went on from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

FHTHEVOB wrote: »
    ECW died in 2001. What Vince McMahon did was try to beat a dead horse for money but it didn't work so he did something else with it.

Randy Orton was nowhere near as good in 02 as Bryan is now. Orton got good and developed in the evolution stable and went on from there.

Orton probably was'nt as good as Dragon in 2006 or 2007 either tbh:pac:

Completely agree with DM-ICE.. If WWE had Danielson kicking peoples heads in, in NXT and then had him lose the competition, people would be bored of him by now. And he'd never ever get over, but by having him be a sympathetic underdog, the fans, who may have only heard of Bryan Danielson in passing, are now firmly invested in this guy.. Plus the fact that the storyline has the internet buzzing brings even more noteriety to him..

FHTHEVOB wrote:

He crapped all over ECW and delighted in ripping on the IWC. Even Cornette has noted how they have no respect for this section of the fans.

I never suggested Orton was better. I said Orton was well liked and they had high hopes for him but they still showed they were prepared to dish out poor treatment to him so saying Danielson is highly rated, does not mean they won't handle him poorly.
    Completely agree with DM-ICE.. If WWE had Danielson kicking peoples heads in, in NXT and then had him lose the competition, people would be bored of him by now. And he'd never ever get over, but by having him be a sympathetic underdog, the fans, who may have only heard of Bryan Danielson in passing, are now firmly invested in this guy.. Plus the fact that the storyline has the internet buzzing brings even more noteriety to him..

Wha? People would be bored of a guy winning? This is what they did with Punk before they jobbed him out inexplicably to Holly and I don't recall people being bored.

Sympathetic underdog? He's not going to gain sympathy losing to fellow rookies who the audience doesn't know. The only ones buzzing on the net are the ones that already knew about him. The 90+% who don't know him are probably wondering what the fuss is about. I'm surprised that you would support the way he has been utilised.

I believe it may have been Bret Hart who said if you get a reputation as a jobber it can be curtains for your career. Can anyone name me a wrestler who ever got over on a losing streak? I can't. Bryan's losing streak has actually included guys not on the main roster.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Had they continued the losing streak like the did at the beginning by having Bryan being screwed out of matches he otherwise would've won by The Miz I'd imagine he'd be even more over now than he is. As it is any reaction he's getting is in spite of losing to Darren Young and Skip Sheffield clean in a minute, not because and the only real upside to those loses is hardly anybody watches NXT to have seen them.
    Can anyone name me a wrestler who ever got over on a losing streak? I can't.
    Only one I can think of is Kobashi.

so saying Danielson is highly rated, does not mean they won't handle him poorly.

Wha? People would be bored of a guy winning? This is what they did with Punk before they jobbed him out inexplicably to Holly and I don't recall people being bored.

Sympathetic underdog? He's not going to gain sympathy losing to fellow rookies who the audience doesn't know. The only ones buzzing on the net are the ones that already knew about him. The 90+% who don't know him are probably wondering what the fuss is about. I'm surprised that you would support the way he has been utilised.

I believe it may have been Bret Hart who said if you get a reputation as a jobber it can be curtains for your career. Can anyone name me a wrestler who ever got over on a losing streak? I can't. Bryan's losing streak has actually included guys not on the main roster.

Th only losing streak i can think of that possibly got over was probably MVP's a couple of years ago and i dont think that particularly harmed him in the long term as most fans have probably forgotten about it.. Also CM Punks winning streak was clearly a reaction to Samoa Joes TNA streak at the time, nothing more

Personally i think WWE's handling of Danielson has been excellent, Fair enough they had him lose every week, but at the end of the day MNG what do victories and loses really mean in WWE? Jack Swaggers win/loss record pre Wrestlemania was something like 28 losses 8 wins for god sake. Now he's World Champion

And imho if they had Danielson win every match and then lose the competition, he wouldn't have the support of any casual fan, and judging from the pop he got when he beat Miz on Monday, the WWE universe are very much behind him now, which is what its all about at the end of the day, endearing yourself to the fans by any means necessary

Th only losing streak i can think of that possibly got over was probably MVP's a couple of years ago and i dont think that particularly harmed him in the long term as most fans have probably forgotten about it.. Also CM Punks winning streak was clearly a reaction to Samoa Joes TNA streak at the time, nothing more

Personally i think WWE's handling of Danielson has been excellent, Fair enough they had him lose every week, but at the end of the day MNG what do victories and loses really mean in WWE? Jack Swaggers win/loss record pre Wrestlemania was something like 28 losses 8 wins for god sake. Now he's World Champion

And imho if they had Danielson win every match and then lose the competition, he wouldn't have the support of any casual fan, and judging from the pop he got when he beat Miz on Monday, the WWE universe are very much behind him now, which is what its all about at the end of the day, endearing yourself to the fans by any means necessary

Well I wasn't aware Punk's streak was a reaction to Joe but even if it was, surely you'd agree with me it helped him get over? I think it's fair to say he was the best thing about ECW at the time and Heyman seemed to go out of his way to make him into a star.

I'm really surprised you think the handling of him has been excellent because I think you are a bigger fan of him than I would be. I was never as high on him as others were but I still think he deserved a chance. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should have been used exactly like Punk was, a few losses wouldn't have been a big deal. For example, the loss to Jericho wouldn't have hurt at all. However following that up by jobbing him out to fellow rookies was a shambles in my eyes and hurt his crediblity. They made him the NXT jobber and buried him for weeks before they eliminated him and then they began building him up.

I realise he has been built up well the last few weeks but my gripe is the way they booked him before that. Remember his first win over Santino on Raw? Hardly a big deal at all and little to no reaction. It was something like an 8 on 4 squash too.

• Advertisement

Well I wasn't aware Punk's streak was a reaction to Joe but even if it was, surely you'd agree with me it helped him get over? I think it's fair to say he was the best thing about ECW at the time and Heyman seemed to go out of his way to make him into a star.

I'm really surprised you think the handling of him has been excellent because I think you are a bigger fan of him than I would be. I was never as high on him as others were but I still think he deserved a chance. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should have been used exactly like Punk was, a few losses wouldn't have been a big deal. For example, the loss to Jericho wouldn't have hurt at all. However following that up by jobbing him out to fellow rookies was a shambles in my eyes and hurt his crediblity. They made him the NXT jobber and buried him for weeks before they eliminated him and then they began building him up.

I realise he has been built up well the last few weeks but my gripe is the way they booked him before that. Remember his first win over Santino on Raw? Hardly a big deal at all and little to no reaction. It was something like an 8 on 4 squash too.

Didnt all the rookies lift him over their heads and they all celebrated in the ring like he'd won the champions league.. But with Punk it was a very very different situation, because his debut against Justin Credible, the ECW fans blew the lid off the Hammerstein Ballroom and that made Punk into an instant big deal with the casual WWE fans who like Danielson had probably only heard of Punk in passing. So obviously WWE continued to book him strong for the following 6 or so months wheras Danielson is in a completely different situation, he has to stand out against bigger, more tradition looking "WWE Superstars" and for a guy who's 5 ft 8 and isnt exactly the most flamboyant looking dude thats a challenge he's very much succeed in imho

But tbh i dont mind what they've done mainly because it's different, and it gives the casual fan a reason to get behind Danielson, whist the shoots are keeping the smarks happy because he literally saying everything about the WWE that they've always wanted, he's become the voice of every wrestling fan who sits behind his computer bitching John Cena, HHH and the WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

"Horrowitz wins! Horrowitz wins! Horrowitz wins!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    I was laughing so hard when they revealed who Low Ki's pros would be. The poor guys who had heart failure with Bryan/Miz must be dead by now, or at least will be when McCool beats him clean.

Its a stroke of genius isn't it? I be expect the internet to have a stroke when he comes to Michelle's music as well. :pac:
    Hopefully Michelle makes him cut a promo like this...

That O'Reily dude will probably do well, he is meant to be decent. The black muscular flamboyant dude was awesome as well. Ryder as a pro also = win.

I expect the ratings will be muck, but the partnerships give me some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Michael Mcgillicutty?!!?

,.....the f*ck?!

if they were trying to move him in a different direction then i would recognise and undrstand the name change, btu they have called him "mr perfects son" so let him use his surname ffs! if they still wanna change is that bad call him michael hennig, but even thats a stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I think the Low Ki / Kaval thing could work out ok. Obviously it would suck if they were to having to give him advice and **** but what about if they basically just unleash him as this killing machine esque character. Have them more as managers and talkers (just realised they both kind of suck at that) and the guy at least has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The following are some new tweets from the official Twitter page of John Cena:
    "Barrett wins. Solid episode. Unsure as to why all the pros, primarly Regal, couldn't let the kid have his moment. Well Wade..."
    "Welcome to the lion's den. I wish you the best of luck. After seeing profiles of NXT2, keep an eye on Kaval. I see something there."

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that current WWE creative plans call for NXT winner Wade Barrett to join the Raw brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Wrestling Observer is reporting that current WWE creative plans call for NXT winner Wade Barrett to join the Raw brand.

He'd be more suited on SD imo. He's gonna get lost in the Raw shuffle

If he's going to Raw I imagine they are putting him with Regal. It would explain the Kozlov angle from Monday.

I kinda thought he might be put with Jericho as a tag partner

• Advertisement

- The format of NXT season 2 will see the fans and the Pros both getting 50% of the votes that decide who stays and who goes each week. As noted before, season 2 begins next week and will be shorter than the first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Jesus, it's hardly a sustainable idea, by the rate they are going they will have double figures in regards to seasons by the time the year's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

chordtype wrote: »
    I think the Low Ki / Kaval thing could work out ok. Obviously it would suck if they were to having to give him advice and **** but what about if they basically just unleash him as this killing machine esque character. Have them more as managers and talkers (just realised they both kind of suck at that) and the guy at least has a chance.

For the overreaction of the internet it would be awesome.:pac::pac::pac:

I haven't a clue where they will go with this partnership. Well played WWE. :)

Oh and Layla is a pretty good mic worker, girl has tons of charisma.

So, what are yer opinions of the 8 new rookies for Season 2?

Alex Riley
    Eli Cottonwood
    Husky Harris
    Kaval
    Lucky Cannon
    Michael McGillicutty
    Percy Watson
    Titus O'Neil

So, what are yer opinions of the 8 new rookies for Season 2?

Alex Riley
    Eli Cottonwood
    Husky Harris
    Kaval
    Lucky Cannon
    Michael McGillicutty
    Percy Watson
    Titus O'Neil

Some of the worst ring names in the history of Pro Wrestling..

Some of the worst ring names in the history of Pro Wrestling..

That Percy Watson is gonna annoy the f*** outta me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Isn't that the name of some film? Percy Watson: Lightning Master or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Isn't that the name of some film? Percy Watson: Lightning Master or something?

Percy Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

They need to do an angle where McGillicutty has horrible BO, so they can give him the nickname McGillicutty Reeks.:pac:

Finally we get to see Low Ki on WWE TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Alex Riley looks real good. From what I've seen he's as good as The Miz on the mic (some guys who watch FCW often are saying he's even better and will outshine The Miz), is pretty big and athletic, the full package. He'll probably win.

Lucky Cannon will probably do well too depending on what this story is they're giving him (porn star past probably by the sounds of his name). Big guy, good look, ok in the ring, greatest mentor of the season and appears to be a naturally likeable guy. If Heath Slater can do decently well as a face despite being so bloody hateable then this guy should do even better.

Kaval isn't too shabby either.

Advertisement