Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "WWE NXT" thread ***Contains SPOILERS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

geeky wrote: »
    Am I the only guy who noticed that there was one chap roaring 'you suck!' with unusual enthusiasm?

It makes so much sense paying money to do that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Danielson for president. - he kicks ass for you.

you know i dreamt of it but i have to say - it was even better than i imagined.

i love the way cole was all tough until he got out of the ring. then as austin would say there was a little come to jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's an interesting angle, almost like a Paul Heyman angle actually, but whether it goes anywhere worthwhile I'm not so sure. They could have developed it better by not having him look so weak on previous shows and by showing more of his wrestling from the indy scene.

I would say 80% of the audience, if not more, have no idea who he is and so to them it comes across like a guy who has been a weekly jobber throwing a fit, and only having the heels to support him. It might get over with the more knowledgeable fans but I think the casual fans will find it a bit perplexing.

Still, he did deliver the promo well and it seems he is in WWE's thoughts. I've no idea what the deal is with Cole. Seems like a build towards a Jim Ross return to TV.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

F*cking incredible. I feel like a proud father watching his son grow up. Best five minutes of WWE I've seen since Mayweather f*cked up the Big Show at No Way Out a few years back. Whoever booked that needs to be booking RAw every week. Dabielson proves he has the personality and charisma to go with teh in ring skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

This is easily one of the best angles WWE's has done since it became WWE, I had a massive grin on my face and tear in my eye when he punched Cole:pac: The only problem is its been wasted on NXT and not Raw or Smackdown, but jesus Danielson's running with this angle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

while i agree with the comments saying he was made look weak in his matches, i dont think he was 'walked on' as such.

He really came close to beating jericho, miz and even batista, granted, they werent exactly match of the year candidates, but he was allowed to give a certain different flair in each one of these matches.

It also seems that WWE are using NXT for us "smart-marks", keeping us quiet from giving out. Putting an angle on like this on a show which is only watched by a fraction of their overall fanbase means that they could make it a little realer than if it was on raw or smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

CMpunked wrote: »
    It also seems that WWE are using NXT for us "smart-marks", keeping us quiet from giving out. Putting an angle on like this on a show which is only watched by a fraction of their overall fanbase means that they could make it a little realer than if it was on raw or smackdown.

I think you're right. Otherwise Danielson would have been shut down pretty sharpish when he started talking about the politics, how Vince likes big guys, and screaming at Michael Cole that he's a poor man's substitute for JR. At least they care enough to give us a storyline! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I think you're right. Otherwise Danielson would have been shut down pretty sharpish when he started talking about the politics, how Vince likes big guys, and screaming at Michael Cole that he's a poor man's substitute for JR. At least they care enough to give us a storyline! :)

You think that what he said there was a shoot and that he wasnt meant to talk about the "Big Guys" and politics etc? Ive no idea myself, wondering what the general consenus is!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

johnn wrote: »
    You think that what he said there was a shoot and that he wasnt meant to talk about the "Big Guys" and politics etc? Ive no idea myself, wondering what the general consenus is!

It's a work. NXT is completely scripted; just like RAW & SD; nothing is said without WWE's approval these days. But it is pretty amazing that his words were actually true. I dunno who penned it but i'm real happy that it got the go ahead! Danielson is an internet darling and it's real odd (but great) that he's being portrayed as such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's a work. NXT is completely scripted; just like RAW & SD; nothing is said without WWE's approval these days. But it is pretty amazing that his words were actually true. I dunno who penned it but i'm real happy that it got the go ahead! Danielson is an internet darling and it's real odd (but great) that he's being portrayed as such!

Yeah i thought so myself, but the way people are talking about it they seem convinced it wasnt. i think michael cole deserves alot of credit for this, which he probably wont get. he has made himself a very over heel on NXT. Its great to see that the lines are being blurred, now if only they could do more of this sort of edgy stuff, they have the talent to pull it off with guys like Orton and now danielson, not to mention if Hunter went heel again!

• Advertisement

johnn wrote: »

Oh no, quite the opposite - if Danielson actually started shooting on people the WWE would be more than capable of shutting him down or simply editing him out of the show. I think the fact that he went so close to the bone on things was kind of a nod to the internet/smark demographic, a sort of revival of the 'worked shoot'.

Yup, NXT is really odd; in that Michael Cole is a (really entertaining) heel and Striker is a face. I reckon Vince doesn't watch NXT...he probably doesn't bother shouting in their ear until RAW starts :D

A small point; but i find it offensive that WWE label (although not this time around) Canada as "Bizarro World", and not the more accurate "respect talent" world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

Yup, NXT is really odd; in that Michael Cole is a (really entertaining) heel and Striker is a face. I reckon Vince doesn't watch NXT...he probably doesn't bother shouting in their ear until RAW starts :D

A small point; but i find it offensive that WWE label (although not this time around) Canada as "Bizarro World", and not the more accurate "respect talent" world.

Seriously? Don't think thats offensive in the least. Americans respect the talent just as much as Canadians, its just Canadians have this habit of acting different to other fans, often booing the faces and cheering on the heels. I think its great, especially that the WWE actually acknowledge this instead of straight out ignoring it and pretending they don't hear anything like they often do.

Tribesmen7 wrote: »
    Seriously? Don't think thats offensive in the least. Americans respect the talent just as much as Canadians, its just Canadians have this habit of acting different to other fans, often booing the faces and cheering on the heels. I think its great, especially that the WWE actually acknowledge this instead of straight out ignoring it and pretending they don't hear anything like they often do.

Offensive is probably too strong a word. I mean that Canada is pretty much like cities with a higher concentration of knowledgeable wrestling fans (NY, Philly, UK etc), where they appreciate/cheer 'talent' and boo less talented guys, regardless of heel/face alignment (like booing a face Batista, cheering Orton before it was cool etc)... what i'm trying to say is that Canada is a more accurate portrayl of how the IWC think rather than the generic american crowds who cheer and boo exactly how Vince wants them to. I just don't appreciate WWE commentators fobbing off the reason behind it that Canada being "bizarre" :D

Offensive is probably too strong a word. I mean that Canada is pretty much like cities with a higher concentration of knowledgeable wrestling fans (NY, Philly, UK etc), where they appreciate/cheer 'talent' and boo less talented guys, regardless of heel/face alignment (like booing a face Batista, cheering Orton before it was cool etc)... what i'm trying to say is that Canada is a more accurate portrayl of how the IWC think rather than the generic american crowds who cheer and boo exactly how Vince wants them to. I just don't appreciate WWE commentators fobbing off the reason behind it that Canada being "bizarre" :D

I like when they call it that, as I said I'm happy they just acknowledge it. The rest of your post I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

in fairness it does seem like bizaro world:D

lol, cool.

How many of the NXT crowd will end up with a job in WWE? (i.e. still be employed by WWE on Jan 1st, 2012)

I'm going for :

Daniel Bryan (Brian Danielson)

Wade Barrett

David Otunga (he'll get a stint on RAW, then get moved to FCW)

Heath Slater

Justin Gabriel

Michael Tarver

Darren Young

Skip Sheffield

• Registered Users Posts: 85,079 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From who is left I hope its Wade or Justin who wins.

I think Bryan, Wade, Justin and Darren could all have long term careers with the WWE.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    From who is left I hope its Wade or Justin who wins.

I think Bryan, Wade, Justin and Darren could all have long term careers with the WWE.

I'd actually add Slater to that list. He annoys the funk outta me when he opens his mouth, but he's capable bell-to-bell. Give him a couple of more interesting moves, team him with Gabriel, and you've got a decent tag team right there.

id actually like skip sheffield to stay aswell. if he stopped trying to have that catch phrase yip yip yip he would actually be quiet cool. if not i could actually see him in a "beer money/AKA" persona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i think the wwe they are pushing it for otunga to win so he can take over from dave as a big power house heel on raw

I'd actually add Slater to that list. He annoys the funk outta me when he opens his mouth, but he's capable bell-to-bell. Give him a couple of more interesting moves, team him with Gabriel, and you've got a decent tag team right there.

i flip out (in the bad way) when he starts dancing and waving his hair around...ARRRRGH!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If they keep him on they should turn him heel. Ironically I think he might do well with the annoying goofy heel persona that his mentor once made his own. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Something about Slater makes me think of Owen Wilson for some reason.. I think it's the pouty sort of lip thing he does.. Out of the 4 left, My fav is Gabriel, then Wade. I'm not that keen on Otunga or Slater.

whats the bet that Darren Young will help Rey Rey on sunday???:D

a guy can dream:rolleyes:

i think the wwe they are pushing it for otunga to win so he can take over from dave as a big power house heel on raw

I dont think he will. Because of his wife/girlfriend? hes name is already out there, he does not need to win thie competition to get over. Wade Barrett is also doing very well for himself and I feel hes already getting over and he will make a big name for himself in the WWE. For that reason I dont think the WWE will have him win it either, neither of them two need to win this competition to get over with the fans, the same reason they didn't have Daniel Bryan win it. My bet is Gabriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Icky Thump wrote: »
    id actually like skip sheffield to stay aswell. if he stopped trying to have that catch phrase yip yip yip he would actually be quiet cool. if not i could actually see him in a "beer money/AKA" persona

I think he might alright. He seems to work better as an intense ball of muscle than a goofy meathead.

Carlito has been released.......................................................

he refused to go to rehab. anyway thats not why im bringing it up.

i am trying to think has carlito even been on NXT lately??? i cant remember seeing him

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

Not this week anyway

• Advertisement

Icky Thump wrote: »
    Carlito has been released.......................................................

he refused to go to rehab. anyway thats not why im bringing it up.

i am trying to think has carlito even been on NXT lately??? i cant remember seeing him

I thought it was pointed that he wasn't with the pros at the start of the show. Then again, I've felt that Carlito was on borrowed time for almost a year now.

Advertisement