Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mod: Guys, FFS. If you want to continue to indulge in this idiotic back and forth about the Six O'Clock show, take it to the TV forum. Or, preferably, just drop it completely, your call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I wonder is ray giving up on radio and trying to break into tv? i caught him friday filling in for martin and i thought he was really brilliant, just what you want on a friday evening, funny and witty, there was some knacker on from coolock and ray just couldnt stop laughing at her and i was laughing at ray laughing at her, hes a tonic in fairness!

p.s. he had tarquin on from damo and ivor and i thought he was like a clone of JP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

jezzer wrote: »
    I wonder is ray giving up on radio and trying to break into tv? i caught him friday filling in for martin and i thought he was really brilliant, just what you want on a friday evening, funny and witty, there was some knacker on from coolock and ray just couldnt stop laughing at her and i was laughing at ray laughing at her, hes a tonic in fairness!

p.s. he had tarquin on from damo and ivor and i thought he was like a clone of JP

He's not filling in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Not strictly radio news but with Martin King now joining Q102 to do 9-1 Weekdays I wonder will he keep up the six o'clock show. Presumably Ray would be next in line to take his space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

King is staying at tv3 but I'd say the 6 o clock show will be canned entirely within 6 months

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

King is staying at tv3 but I'd say the 6 o clock show will be canned entirely within 6 months

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Loughc wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

He's part of the furniturr there I guess. He'll probably stay doing the weather alright.

As already pointed out, The Six O'Clock Show will be scrapped before the summer, with Xpose moving back to 6pm. Excuse would be that Lucy Kennedy could concentrate on Livin With Lucy, and Martin on the radio.

Would be nice to see Ray doing the T6OCS in some other form or time in the schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Yep wouldn't be surprised to see it scrapped in the next few months. There's not enough Z list celebrities and random chefs to keep a show like that on the go forever. It's a shame though, as I do actually enjoy it the odd time I see it. Seems like a bit of craic.

It'd be cool if TV3 did an Irish version of The Gadget Show with Ray as host. He'd be in his element!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yep wouldn't be surprised to see it scrapped in the next few months. There's not enough Z list celebrities and random chefs to keep a show like that on the go forever. It's a shame though, as I do actually enjoy it the odd time I see it. Seems like a bit of craic.

It'd be cool if TV3 did an Irish version of The Gadget Show with Ray as host. He'd be in his element!!

Joe Donnelly (today fm staff but formerly on txfm) hosted a gadget show on tv3 last year. Was pretty good actually

I'd love to see ray develop the ntn podcast a bit and get it working like an actual show. Interviews and banter etc, run it how he wants and not constrained to management. Could be an interesting format

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'd love to see ray develop the ntn podcast a bit and get it working like an actual show. Interviews and banter etc, run it how he wants and not constrained to management. Could be an interesting format

Im really surprised this isn't the route he's gone down. It'd be perfect for him and I imagine if he got a sponsor and a bit of promotion about it, it'd really take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Or go the Second Captains route and charge people a small monthly fee, he has a good cult following to do so. I'd pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭pedatron

leggo wrote: »
    Or go the Second Captains route and charge people a small monthly fee, he has a good cult following to do so. I'd pay.

+1

I pay for a few podcasts and would definitely back him if he went down that route.

In reality few would pay for his podcasts I'd say. 100+ max. I couldn't see him doing it either for a few reasons but mainly because it would feel like work then to him and there would be pressure to have one done every week, they would need to have some planned content and also I really cannot see a sponsorship deal. As great as it is it's not popular enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

FrostyJim wrote: »
    In reality few would pay for his podcasts I'd say. 100+ max. I couldn't see him doing it either for a few reasons but mainly because it would feel like work then to him and there would be pressure to have one done every week, they would need to have some planned content and also I really cannot see a sponsorship deal. As great as it is it's not popular enough for that.

I can't say I follow your cynical view. It takes work if you want to make something successful. Nobody has any idea of his schedule or future plans only himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

49,000 Twitter followers, 12,000 on Facebook. He'd get sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

leggo wrote: »
    49,000 Twitter followers, 12,000 on Facebook. He'd get sponsorship.

I doubt it. Those figs are bang average

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

even that would be a generous amount, around 20 people seem to listen regularly on here, he's said before downloads are low, that's down to the ad hoc nature of it I guess and he doesn't promote it, but I'd be surprised if many outside of these forums paid for it, needs a regular cast, regular release and about 6 months of analytics to back it up before sponsorship really,

Now... Maybe he could look at syndicating a show... He records an hour long show once a week or maybe twice, produces it and sells it to stations, does it from home with guests. Smallest stations could take it and use it to boost talk output and he could drive it back to an online only podcast too. ..he needs someone managing his brand like that to maximise his potential, think the biggest barrier for him is his reputation and people in the industry who worked with him have bad things to say about him, but listeners like him, cut out the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I see Joe.ie are moving agressively into the multimedia content space with new sports and politics podcasts amongst other things...one wonders if he may opt to go down a road like that...create content and write articles etc. and have a podcast hosted somewhere like that? Seems like it would suit.

The longer he is away from radio on a day to day basis the less likely it is he'll get a shot at a national station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

IUA14 wrote:
    I see Joe.ie are moving agressively into the multimedia content space with new sports and politics podcasts amongst other things...one wonders if he may opt to go down a road like that...create content and write articles etc. and have a podcast hosted somewhere like that? Seems like it would suit.

Wasn't he always slagging Nordy Eoin for working for JOE, I'd say he might see himself as above them.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Wasn't he always slagging Nordy Eoin for working for JOE, I'd say he might see himself as above them.

Think it was more taking the piss really? The slagging was always because Nordy was with Foley before Joe and then Foley had to start introducing him as ''Nordy Eoghan...from Joe.ie''

Sure Foley used to write for them regularly back in TodayFM before the TV3 grabbed him for Take Me Out.

Jesus...the absolute state of daytime Irish radio right now, I'd rather have silence in the office...radio needs the King back!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

IUA14 wrote: »
    Jesus...the absolute state of daytime Irish radio right now, I'd rather have silence in the office...radio needs the King back!

Was thinking the same thing yesterday, lunchtime.

The choice was Al ****in' Porter, George Hook or whatever was on 2fm.

Presenters normally wouldn't irk me. I don't get the hate for Muireann or even Fergal Darcy (I do understand that one, I'm just not bothered either way) but Jesus Al Porter has to be the worst presenter I've ever heard.

I've turned the dial from Todayfm for the first time in about 10 years yesterday. There's no going back now.

I find myself constantly checking my Podcast App to see if there's a new Foley one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

The upcoming weekend schedule revamp at 2fm is surely Foleys last chance to get back on national radio http://extra.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/2fm-dj-ruth-scott-is-the-latest-to-be-axed-at-the-station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

A ****é weekend slot on a national station no one listens to? Foley deserves better then that.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    A ****é weekend slot on a national station no one listens to? Foley deserves better then that.

True but the longer he's off air the harder he will find it harder to get a good slot on a national station.

MrMac84 wrote: »

Maybe so but he's not exactly getting any better offers at the moment. If the weekend slot went well for him I'm sure we would see him in a more high profile slot again either on 2fm or elsewhere. I think people are forgetting though, it'll only be Ray moving to 2fm if he does, the rest of the old gang have went their separate ways so it wouldn't be the same type of show anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

The red FM show sounds like he is going through the motions.

Maybe so but he's not exactly getting any better offers at the moment. If the weekend slot went well for him I'm sure we would see him in a more high profile slot again either on 2fm or elsewhere. I think people are forgetting though, it'll only be Ray moving to 2fm if he does, the rest of the old gang have went their separate ways so it wouldn't be the same type of show anyway.

Foley would jump at the chance I imagine...if he does want to get back into radio full time that is. After being off the national airwaves since 2012 he won't just walk back into a prime weekday slot, getting in at the weekend to host breakfast or a day time slot would be a good move and a foot in the door.

For 2FM...if they wanted him it would be for the old show he used to do on Today FM, or that style at least I would imagine...it was geared towards younger people and would fit the station. Ann is available so who knows...its possible if its a weekend show it will be Foley on his own with someone who pops up every now and again to chime in...it wouldn't be a full team unless it was a weekday slot.

As for the old gang moving on...I imagine if there was ever an offer from a national station to bring them back together they would take it...JP is the Producer on Off The Ball...I imagine that is a serious pay decrease on what he was on at 98FM/Today FM as an on air personality. Don't see him moving in the next few months tho. All about timing I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

And you know he's getting no offers how??are you his manager?

Advertisement