Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

liam7831 wrote: »
    Did Take Me Out get canned too ?

Yes a long time ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

IUA14 wrote: »
    if I remember correctly in its heyday circa 2011 I recall 156,000 being the number.

What were the numbers when he took over the slot? How much did they drop off after he left? Who is current market leader in that slot and with ~what numbers?

I thought it was a great show btw, nothing close to it on the air since.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Foley's final book on Today FM (Q3 2012, which would have been up as far as September 2012 I believe), puts his fugres at 153,000. Up from 141,000 the previous year. In the next book, KC had taken over, and the figures dipped by 2,000. In the most recent book, Dermot and Dave had 115,000, down 38,000 on where Foley left.

2012Q3
    2012Q4
    2016Q4

EDIT: Just saw the previous post. The current market leader would be Nicky Byrne on 131,000. IMO, comparing with the Radio 1 figures is apples to oranges, so I'm using the actual competitor to Today FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What kind of numbers was Cawley doing prior to Foley

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

MrMac84 wrote: »

iLevel only go back as far as 2010. I think we'd be looking for the 2006 figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

It was Tony Fenton who was doing the lunchtime show before Foley, Phil Cawley was doing the late afternoon slot.

Looking at figures from Q3 2007. Foley had 172,000 then. Not sure if that was his peak, but he was down 17,000 on that when he left, albeit on an upward trend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54433741&postcount=4

Look at those figures though. My god it was definitely a different time for Today FM... In a decade they've gone from:

Ian Dempsey 240,000 to Ian Dempsey on 167,000 (down 73,000)
    Ray D’Arcy 249,000 to Anton Savage on 164,000 (down 85,000)
    Ray Foley 172,000 to D&D on 115,000 (down 57,000)
    Tony Fenton 143,000 to Fergal D'Arcy on 103,000 (down 40,000)
    Matt Cooper 204,000 to Matt Cooper on 132,000 (down 72,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Looking at figures from Q3 2007. Foley had 172,000 then. Not sure if that was his peak, but he was down 17,000 on that when he left, albeit on an upward trend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54433741&postcount=4

Look at those figures though. My god it was definitely a different time for Today FM... In a decade they've gone from:

Ian Dempsey 240,000 to Ian Dempsey on 167,000 (down 73,000)
    Ray D’Arcy 249,000 to Anton Savage on 164,000 (down 85,000)
    Ray Foley 172,000 to D&D on 115,000 (down 57,000)
    Tony Fenton 143,000 to Fergal D'Arcy on 103,000 (down 40,000)
    Matt Cooper 204,000 to Matt Cooper on 132,000 (down 72,000)

Even considering the overall decline in people listening to radio over the decade and the effects of emigration that's still a massive drop in numbers.

It's going to be great having Ray Foley back on the radio in the mornings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

It's going to be great having Ray Foley back on the radio in the mornings!!

I'm guessing you're assuming he's taking Dempseys slot as he's after giving a few sly digs towards management in air this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

WTF? Well that's all kinds of mental...don't get the logic behind that move...assume he'll still be broadcasting from Dublin...can't see him moving to Cork with a young family and his wife working at 2FM. Also going up against KC now over on 96FM at breakfast...

WTF? Well that's all kinds of mental...don't get the logic behind that move...assume he'll still be broadcasting from Dublin...

Nope! Living in cork Monday - Thursday then back up the road to Dublin to do the 6 o clock show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Thought he hated doing the breakfast show ?

Nope! Living in cork Monday - Thursday then back up the road to Dublin to do the 6 o clock show

How long will that last? Can't see him being okay being away from his young family 4 days a week long term...

How long will that last? Can't see him being okay being away from his young family 4 days a week long term...

No idea. I'd imagine he's signed for 12 months any ways... probably travel down first thing Sunday/Monday and leave Friday as soon as the shows over

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

No idea. I'd imagine he's signed for 12 months any ways... probably travel down first thing Sunday/Monday and leave Friday as soon as the shows over

Crazy idea. He detested the early mornings in Dublin but I guess it comes down to finances as he's been out of full time work for over a year and the tv3 money couldn't be great for one show a week. It's some amount of mileage, 500km a week, that's 25000 a year if he's returning to Dublin every week. Be interesting to see if he can click with a Cork audience where he couldn't in Dublin.

reg114 wrote: »
    Crazy idea. He detested the early mornings in Dublin but I guess it comes down to finances as he's been out of full time work for over a year and the tv3 money couldn't be great for one show a week. It's some amount of mileage, 500km a week, that's 25000 a year if he's returning to Dublin every week. Be interesting to see if he can click with a Cork audience where he couldn't in Dublin.

Everyone I know in cork loves him from his Today fm days so I don't see any problem there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

This makes the morning slot in Cork interesting, Foley v KC. I'll give them both a go but can see me leaning towards KC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Really really surprised with this one.. By complete co-incidence I was listening to a NTN podcast last night (19.09.2016 episode) and he was emphasising so strongly how he hated the early mornings and the negative effect it had on his home life and health (weight). He was saying how much he was enjoying being with the kids and the negative effect breakfast radio had on his time with them.

That was breakfast radio in Dublin - he's now moving to Cork :eek:

He must have just decided to sacrifice his home life for a year in the hope that it would lead to something more practical.

Fair fecks to him - hope it works out really well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Absolutely fantastic news, I went straight back to Dempsey once KC left Red but you can hear in his voice and his odd little dig that he's not happy and things aren't rosy in Marconi house.

96 now need to get KC on air ASAP before Foley starts stealing his audience, I for one will be straight back to Red Monday morning.

I find it hilarious that all the Dubs are outraged that he would take a breakfast show with Red and wonder will he connect with the audience as he didn't in Dublin,
    Of course he'll connect with the Cork audience, we don't take ourselves too serious, we love a bit of Craic and we don't get easily offended, we're everything the Dubs aren't and that's everything that Foley brings to the table.

And to be fair in this day and age of internet radio, radio station apps and tunein radio if you're truly a fan of a certain presenter you'll listen to him no matter what county he's broadcasting from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Eh what the frick. Talk about a shock!

I don't know how he'll manage it tbh. Away from his wife and kids all week and early mornings too? I'd find that very difficult myself. Best of luck to him. I'll probably check it out on Tunein.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Really really surprised with this one.. By complete co-incidence I was listening to a NTN podcast last night (19.09.2016 episode) and he was emphasising so strongly how he hated the early mornings and the negative effect it had on his home life and health (weight). He was saying how much he was enjoying being with the kids and the negative effect breakfast radio had on his time with them.

That was breakfast radio in Dublin - he's now moving to Cork :eek:

He must have just decided to sacrifice his home life for a year in the hope that it would lead to something more practical.

Fair fecks to him - hope it works out really well

You wonder tho...being in Cork Mon to Fri on his own...assume he'll just be in a hotel or something...might manage a better lifestyle etc. His weekend show seemed to be popular there and if he can build himself back up a bit there might be a national slot open in a years time. I reckon it will be a little more relaxed than 98...with less meetings and incessant focus groups to listen to and he'll have more control over the show.

Out of left field move but may prove a good...also NTN might a bit more regular with him having more time in the evenings? One can hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

It's going to be so weird hearing him doing a show with someone that's not JP. What's this Jay fella he'll be presenting with like?

It's going to be so weird hearing him doing a show with someone that's not JP. What's this Jay fella he'll be presenting with like?

He was to KC what JP was to Ray. A foil to work off and to poke fun at in a good natured way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Shocked at this!!I actually can't stand jay though, just don't find him funny

Gushing Foley fan perspective:
    Well, that's a nice bit of news for a Friday! I'm delighted Foley'll be back on air, and it's made my decision to buy an internet radio a certainty now. I'd been putting it off for a while, just using Tunein on the phone, but I'm definitely grabbing one now.

It'll be weird having him do a show with someone else. It's going to be awkward for a while, but hopefully it'll work out. I wouldn't rule out him teaming up with Ann again though.

More neutral non-fanboy perspective:
    Bit of a shock on a number of levels. Firstly, Foley back to doing a show that starts at 6am is a surprise given how much he said he disliked that shift, but money talks, and he's been off air for 15 months at this point, so it makes sense to take a full-time gig to keep his profile up.
    You'd wonder how long this is going to last though with him living in Cork and the wife living in Dublin. Now, she does work for RTE, so maybe there's scope for her to move to Cork at some point? Or maybe this is a short-term thing for RED to steady the ship while KC is off gardening and they look for a long-term replacement. Who knows.
    It's going to be interesting to see if he does fit in on a Cork station. One of the reasons for his failure on 98 was that he was never really that popular in Dublin, and was more popular "down the country". Wonder how many of the more casual listeners from the Today FM days even remember him at this stage...

I'm pumped and excited for this though. Even though it has potential to be dire, I still can't wait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Typical. My favourite radio presenter has moved to a weekday slot on a radio station I can't stand. Redfm to me is poor. I hope there is a podcast or something like that. I won't be listening live even though I could do it being from cork.

I can see this going to way of KC when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What happened to KC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

liam7831 wrote: »
    What happened to KC

Moved to 96FM in Cork

Advertisement