Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

IUA14 wrote: »
    Foley would jump at the chance I imagine...if he does want to get back into radio full time that is. After being off the national airwaves since 2012 he won't just walk back into a prime weekday slot, getting in at the weekend to host breakfast or a day time slot would be a good move and a foot in the door.

For 2FM...if they wanted him it would be for the old show he used to do on Today FM, or that style at least I would imagine...it was geared towards younger people and would fit the station. Ann is available so who knows...its possible if its a weekend show it will be Foley on his own with someone who pops up every now and again to chime in...it wouldn't be a full team unless it was a weekday slot.

As for the old gang moving on...I imagine if there was ever an offer from a national station to bring them back together they would take it...JP is the Producer on Off The Ball...I imagine that is a serious pay decrease on what he was on at 98FM/Today FM as an on air personality. Don't see him moving in the next few months tho. All about timing I suppose.
    Are you actually serious??He won't get a national prime time slot as he hasn't had a prime time slot since 2012?

What national prime time slot had Al Porter, Tracey Clifford, Nicki Byrne etc got before they were handed their current roles? Whilst I wouldn't class any of the above as good presenters it shows that stations don't demand you serve your time on regional stations or doing early mornings/late nights, weekend or swing jock slots any more! Rays Today fm lunchtime show, ratings and awards (granted dubs didn't take to him but around the rest of the country he was a success) are all the experience he should need to get back on national airwaves.. the fact he isn't on either of the two at the minute I would put down to the respective PD's/managers and not his ability and to be honest I wouldn't class either PD or managers as doing a good job of either station

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

MrMac84 wrote: »
    And you know he's getting no offers how??are you his manager?

Of course I don't but do you think he would have turned down a bigger radio gig than red if he was offered it? I don't.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Of course I don't but do you think he would have turned down a bigger radio gig than red if he was offered it? I don't.

A few hours pre recorded on a station that's splashing cash to try to compete with 96Fm and Is ran by his child hood buddy? I could think of ALOT harder ways to earn a few bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

A ****é weekend slot on a national station no one listens to? Foley deserves better then that.

He failed badly at 98FM, then burnt any remaining bridges he had at Today FM by slagging off their management. His only recent radio work is Weekend cover on Local radio.

No, he does not deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Are you actually serious?? Do you know anything about radio? He won't get a national prime time slot as he hasn't had a prime time slot since 2012?

What national prime time slot had Al Porter, Tracey Clifford, Nicki Byrne etc got before they were handed their current roles? Whilst I wouldn't class any of the above as good presenters it shows that stations don't demand you serve your time on regional stations or doing early mornings/late nights, weekend or swing jock slots any more! Rays Today fm lunchtime show, ratings and awards (granted dubs didn't take to him but around the rest of the country he was a success) are all the experience he should need to get back on national airwaves.. the fact he isn't on either of the two at the minute I would put down to the respective PD's/managers and not his ability and to be honest I wouldn't class either PD or managers as doing a good job of either station

Tone it down with the condescension...I am actually serious yes. And I don't profess to be a radio know-it-all. He was last on the national airwaves with a highly successful show in 2012...he went to 98FM for 3 years and that experiment failed in terms of ratings success...he has been on Red FM on Saturday mornings since the summer...why would he walk into a national radio primetime weekday slot?

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that this is the way it SHOULD be...it just seems like it is the way it is. I am a huge fan of Foley and would love to see it, but if he is offered a weekend slot on 2FM and he wants to get back on the air full time then I think he would take it and get the foot in the door at RTE.

As for the people you mentioned...Al Porter was given the role because he is young and 'famous'...Nicky Byrne the same reason and he had done bits and pieces on 98FM previously...is Foley seen to be at that level of 'famous' that he could waltz in to a role when a national audience hasn't heard from him since 2012? No. It seems like radio is intend on having the name rather than talent. As for Tracey Clifford...she was on Spin breakfast for years and was pretty successful growing that show and was popular in Dublin...thats why she got the gig....2FM needs to grow in Dublin...the exact market Foley got no traction in. Again, I am not saying that this is the way it should be, but this is just the way I think it is.

IMO Foley is one of the best presenters around and should waltz into any national slot he wants, he would be an improvement on anyone on either 2FM or Today FM currently...but it hasn't happened yet and one would assume had he got a better offer than Red FM he would have taken it...he has hinted that the phone isn't ringing off the hook on NTN. If I was the 2FM PD I would be ringing him up and doing all I could to get him to agree to join and do a show of the ilk of the Today FM days...proven success at a national level over many years and would fit the station perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

IUA14 wrote:
    As for the old gang moving on...I imagine if there was ever an offer from a national station to bring them back together they would take it...JP is the Producer on Off The Ball...I imagine that is a serious pay decrease on what he was on at 98FM/Today FM as an on air personality. Don't see him moving in the next few months tho. All about timing I suppose.

I can't imagine that it would be that serious of a pay decrease? Off the Ball is a big show on a national station like, on 7 days a week. Not a chance in hell of JP moving from there IMO. Maybe if there was a weekday slot on 2FM offered, but no way would anyone in their right mind give up a decent job for a weekend slot, even if it was working with your best mate.

If this rumoured 2FM weekend restructuring happens (and it's a big if, there's been rumours for ages and no sign of anything), then I think there's a good possibility that Ray could be offered a slot. Maybe weekend drivetime or something. Can't see Will Leahy making it through another 2fm cull.

I can't imagine that it would be that serious of a pay decrease? Off the Ball is a big show on a national station like, on 7 days a week. Not a chance in hell of JP moving from there IMO. Maybe if there was a weekday slot on 2FM offered, but no way would anyone in their right mind give up a decent job for a weekend slot, even if it was working with your best mate.

If this rumoured 2FM weekend restructuring happens (and it's a big if, there's been rumours for ages and no sign of anything), then I think there's a good possibility that Ray could be offered a slot. Maybe weekend drivetime or something. Can't see Will Leahy making it through another 2fm cull.

Well they commented many times that they could pay the bills so much better at 98FM than they could at Today FM so I imagine they got a pretty sweet deal there. I can't see JP, as one of the producers of Off The Ball, being on anywhere near as good money as he was, he also doesn't work 7 days a week. As I said above I don't see Foley being able to have a full team if he got a weekend slot of 2FM, I could see Ann being more probable than JP...but if down the line he got a weekday slot then I could see Ray and JP reuniting.

The 2FM weekend schedule has needed a restructuring for years so hopefully it happens now and Ray gets in. There is a weekend market out there...Allison Curtis has impressive ratings (somehow) over on Today FM for weekend breakfast. Would be a good step for Foley to get back up and running on a national platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

Skid X wrote: »
    He burnt any remaining bridges he had at Today FM by slagging off their management.

What did he say to slag them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

loumasry wrote: »
    What did he say to slag them off?

In short, he had talks with Today FM last year about returning to the station for a weekend slot.

It didn't happen. Foley released a podcast in which at length he discussed how some of the management turned him down as a personal rather than a professional decision.

I like the guy, I would like to see him back on radio but anyone thinking of taking him on is going to consider the likelihood of Foley running crying to his podcast fanboys if/when things don't work out. He was very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

Skid X wrote: »
    In short, he had talks with Today FM last year about returning to the station for a weekend slot.

It didn't happen. Foley released a podcast in which at length he discussed how some of the management turned him down as a personal rather than a professional decision.

I like the guy, I would like to see him back on radio but anyone thinking of taking him on is going to consider the likelihood of Foley running crying to his podcast fanboys if/when things don't work out. He was very unprofessional.

Oh, ok. I listened to that podcast. He just told what happened, but I didn't hear him slagging anyone. I thought maybe you heard him say something else about them.

If what he said was true then they seem to have been the ones who were unprofessional. Their dealings with Anton Savage and the schedule changes they've made since have also been pretty poor.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I really wished Ray followed through in what he said on the last NTN podcast and he started a daily podcast for the craic.

I could do with his humour in the mornings on the way to work.

Maybe if we all tweet him enough he'll give in and do it :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    I really wished Ray followed through in what he said on the last NTN podcast and he started a daily podcast for the craic.

I could do with his humour in the mornings on the way to work.

Maybe if we all tweet him enough he'll give in and do it :pac:

Might be worth a shot! In other, possibly positive news, Ann's back on Twitter!

And JP is in the sh1t!
    https://twitter.com/gelliott_racing/status/836508846600437761

http://radiotoday.ie/2017/03/red-fm-pdand-breakfast-presenter-kc-leaves/

KC has left RedFM...wonder what this means for Foleys stint there...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Foley for Red FM breakfast lads, c'mon t'****. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Haha not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

wnolan1992 wrote: »

But done from a remote studio...in dublin...between 7-9...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

KReid wrote: »

Is it up in the Dublin mountains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

IUA14 wrote: »
    http://radiotoday.ie/2017/03/red-fm-pdand-breakfast-presenter-kc-leaves/

KC has left RedFM...wonder what this means for Foleys stint there...

I assume kc had a role as program director in getting ray in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ofcork wrote: »
    I assume kc had a role as program director in getting ray in.

He did indeed Ray pretty much admitted to that on one of the NTN podcasts.

Loughc wrote: »
    He did indeed Ray pretty much admitted to that on one of the NTN podcasts.

Might be good timing with the rumoured 2FM weekend shake up taking place...

Was hoping for an NTN this week but it appears Al has been away on holiday

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

liam7831 wrote: »
    Deleted

Oh ffs mods said to give this a break already

Now there is a podcast and show I would listen to...

https://twitter.com/gleesonann/status/839579273367339008

Is that Nordy Eoghan?? Wonder is Ray rounding up the gang for an on air re-union?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Is that Nordy Eoghan?? Wonder is Ray rounding up the gang for an on air re-union?

It's just a few friends out for pints. No need to get your hopes up.

It's just a few friends out for pints. No need to get your hopes up.

After all the false dawns in the last few years I don't get my hopes up anymore. Just asking questions on a forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

See from his Twitter bio that Nordy Eoghan is deputy editor of Joe.ie. Now I know that it isn't exactly the creme de la creme of journalism (putting it mildly), but didn't he just start off randomly doing movie reviews after winning a competition on the show and then that led to him getting a job at Joe.ie? Pretty cool that he's done well enough for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Once you get in somewhere in Ireland, it opens doors easily enough (if you put the work in of course) to other places. Good to see it happen for one of the good guys though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

KReid wrote: »

But didn't he hate the early mornings?

Anyway, question: in its heyday, what were the numbers for the Ray Foley show? Did it dominate that slot? Were the numbers dropping towards the end of its existence? Hoping for some facts here but if nobody has them then I suppose a few vague opinions will have to do :-)

I'm just curious because even though it seems to me that there are a lot of personality-preference based decisions made by radio execs, surely if the numbers speak loudly enough that trumps all?

Milkers wrote: »
    But didn't he hate the early mornings?

Anyway, question: in its heyday, what were the numbers for the Ray Foley show? Did it dominate that slot? Were the numbers dropping towards the end of its existence? Hoping for some facts here but if nobody has them then I suppose a few vague opinions will have to do :-)

I'm just curious because even though it seems to me that there are a lot of personality-preference based decisions made by radio execs, surely if the numbers speak loudly enough that trumps all?

He did, but it's different starting at 6:00/6:30 5 days a week and starting at 7 one day a week.

I think you'll find that information previously in this thread I think, if I remember correctly in its heyday circa 2011 I recall 156,000 being the number. I don't think there was much of a drop off in the last year, at least I can't recall any coverage of any dropoff anyway.

I would agree with your last point but for whatever reason he hasn't got back on the nationals. I guess he's been off the national airwaves for 4 years and 98FM didn't go well so that would play into people's thinking perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Did Take Me Out get canned too ?

Advertisement