Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 carnin

With the way they were talking about it, it sounds like it's something bigger, but maybe they've just gotten around to filling the Adrian/Phil sports guy role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Derek Ryan has been doing sports news since Phil went so I don't think that will be it. I still miss Phil from the show :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

IUA14 wrote: »
    I don't know about Deeno, like Ray started as a newsreader, JP on sports so its not unusual to see people move into more presenter roles from those beginnings. Louise Duffy was ex AA roadwatch I think? News reading is a way into the industry so who knows!

Ray always wanted to be a presenter though, news was just his in to the to the industry, JP never wanted to work in radio so it seems so he just did it for fun, where as with Deeno she seems more invested in Current Affairs and has been doing it for a number of years and is a respected broadcaster, it's not an impossible move, to me it wouldnt make sense, and as I said i dont see her being strong enough to be more involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Muireann is doing a lot on the show these days (even when she is on holidays apparently) and was on the podcast-only bit this morning so seems more and more likely she is the one that will join the show.

She said that "I can't be drinking during the week if I am going to be in podcasting all the time". And then when an emailer asked about changes Foley said sarcastically it was "the worst thing to ever happen the show" which would seem to point to her joining. Seems like good craic but not sure about her joining the show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

IUA14 wrote: »
    Muireann is doing a lot on the show these days (even when she is on holidays apparently) and was on the podcast-only bit this morning so seems more and more likely she is the one that will join the show.

She said that "I can't be drinking during the week if I am going to be in podcasting all the time". And then when an emailer asked about changes Foley said sarcastically it was "the worst thing to ever happen the show" which would seem to point to her joining. Seems like good craic but not sure about her joining the show...
    Yeah just listening to it now, sounds like she could be joining the show in some shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jaysus they made some balls (no pun intended) of the Wimbledon game this morning, right so best of 3, male caller makes it 2-1, oh back to the female caller for the win! She gets it right and makes it 2-2 but Ray declares her the winner. The male caller complains it's actually 2-2 so they go to sudden death, male caller wins it and Ray declares them both winners.

Poor Ray must have been extra tired this morning haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Loughc wrote: »
    Jaysus they made some balls (no pun intended) of the Wimbledon game this morning, right so best of 3, male caller makes it 2-1, oh back to the female caller for the win! She gets it right and makes it 2-2 but Ray declares her the winner. The male caller complains it's actually 2-2 so they go to sudden death, male caller wins it and Ray declares them both winners.

Poor Ray must have been extra tired this morning haha!

I thought it was great though, the grunting was so funny!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I thought it was great though, the grunting was so funny!

Oh I agree it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus the podcast only bit today was very grown up and deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Jesus the podcast only bit today was very grown up and deep.

Compared to the toilet sex yesterday

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »

Yeah that conversation went in directions you wouldn't have expected even for ray and JP.

Yeah a very grown up podcast today, but it was a nice change of pace. JP's poor friend Clair never going to be getting him down the aisle!

Another reference to Muireann today too and her being a bit too cooky but they will "beat that out of her over time"...near certain she's the personnel change!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

FunLover18 wrote: »

I only just finished listening to yesterday's podcast-only bit, but I much preferred it to Friday's mularky! All they did on Friday was harp on and on for an hour about JPs name. It stopped being funny after about 10 minutes - move on lads. Get over it.

At least yesterday, with Muireann, there was genuine talk about the development of relationships these days. They discussed the use of Tinder, and Muireann contributed very well as she was able to give insights for what it's like as a single female in the 'dating society' nowadays. The sex in toilets part of the discussion was just an acknowledgement of the reality of how some people conduct themselves and their relationships these days. Whereas Muireann was able to say - that may be how it appears that society is going, but not everyone is succumbing to that level of interaction. I admired her honesty in saying that she isn't currently dating anyone, and she said she can't remember the last time she had sex, but she would never go on Tinder, because the expectation of it is just for hook-ups. It was a different insight than is normally provided. Even JP talked more than he has before about his hook-ups that he's had before, and why he would/wouldn't date a listener, and situations he's been in where he has been propositioned, but he's said no because he fancied someone else at the time. He normally doesn't go into so much detail about his romantic life, I think.

At least these were genuine, real topics of interest. Not some ****e about a name!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Has she been off her usual evening post (after Dara Quilty) all this week or was it only today? That's as big a hint as any I'd say.

Has she been off her usual evening post (after Dara Quilty) all this week or was it only today? That's as big a hint as any I'd say.

She's on holidays as far as I know. She was at Taylor swift on Tuesday and in the podcast she said she's off out foreign to a wedding.

I also really enjoyed Wednesday's podcast. It was an interesting listen.

I wonder who will get the 7-9pm slot if Muireann does end up joining the lads. Damian McCaul maybe?

I have liked the podcasts this week but equally last Fridays was hilarious! I think Andy Clarke will take over full time from Muireann if she does in fact join Ray and JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Does dara quilty give out all the answers for the quiz or just a couple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Just 2 I think. They got a funny dig into Darcy this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

If anyone's looking for it: the link to the feed for the show is: http://player.98fm.com/content/006/podcastFeeds/262.xml?id=11

• Advertisement

So it has just been confirmed that Brian Maher is taking over Muireann's slot 7-9 Mon-Thurs on 98FM following The Big Ride Home with Dara Quilty...so besides some good handovers ahead it seems to confirm Muireann will be joining Foley and JP on breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

A few changes to the running order this morning: no chat after the 0730 news, just the gossip straight away.

The Accents game they played yesterday was hilarious! I was in tears laughing!

I'm not too sure how the 3-person lineup will work for the Ray Foley Show, Ray & JP barely get time to riff and banter between them as it is, add another person in the mix and you're less time to play with.

I know Beat Breakfast and 2fm use 3-person morning shows but 2fm's is not a success.

I really hope the show gets completely re-formatted when they do go ahead with adding Muireann.

Yeah I agree...I'm not sure exactly how it will work adding a third full time person in there when currently Ray and JP don't get to talk enough themselves. I also hope this wont mean Adelle taking a step back because I love her involvement on the show, the three of them are great together and the paper round up and chat after 9 has fast become my favourite part of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Well at least now when Foley is late they can start the show properly without the annoying rays late intro music !

I wonder would Muireann be moving to be their producer rather than to be on air?

Definitely not, she is all about presenting and being on air so can't see that being a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Is listen back working for other people today? It seems like they've changed something and now I'm getting a (non-functioning) pop-up audio window as soon as I go on there, with no chance to close it or choose which date I want. No doubt my work firewall is interfering with it, but I get the feeling something's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

There was no 9.30 news today. Is that a recent change as well? JP gave his traffic update - but then went straight into a song and movie reviews.

• Advertisement

So a podcaster asked the lads about Muireann joining the show and they spent the first 20 mins of the podcast ripping the piss out of her and denying that she is good enough to join...so thats all but confirmed then it seems. One interesting thing that Ray said was that he has been saying for a while now he wanted to do a "crew show" like back in TodayFM when there was four of them. He said they never intended for it to just be him and JP and though Deeno and Adelle do bits here and there they have their own jobs too...so from that it sounds like if there is going to be Muireann added in there that they may change the format up quite a bit to allow more chatting and stuff between the presenters...here's hoping!!!

Advertisement