Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This McGregor competition is so stupid.

Ray said ysterday that the winner won't be chosen until next week. So you could have someone who wins 10+ rounds, then loses on the last day and loses the trip. Seven Days was fine because they were usually small prizes, but doing this for a real prizes seems really sh*tty to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't know if anyone was listening this morning but they mentioned after the show today they had a meeting to discuss big changes to the show.

He said something is def coming to an end, I wonder what changes there'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gunty90

The way the competition is done its better to be chosen last than to be winning for a week and lose it on the last day. I think they should have come up with another way of giving the prize away giving how good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Your one yesterday wasn't happy about losing at all. The first sudden death question they both answered at the exact same time. The second he just pipped it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Synode wrote: »
    Your one yesterday wasn't happy about losing at all. The first sudden death question they both answered at the exact same time. The second he just pipped it

I'd've been pissed off two if I'd won a competition 4 times and got nothing for it...

On the changes, could JP be leaving I wonder? It's the immediate thing that jumped to mind when they were on about personnel changes on the podcast yesterday. I hope I'm just over thinking things.

EDIT: Actually, just listening to today's podcast, and I don't think that's it at all. Possibly Deeno or Adelle being on more often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm really wondering what this news show thing is now. I'd be up for adelle being more involved then she is already as I think she is brilliant. And deeno has moved back to the malt house so she's in the same studios now,

I don't think anyone is leaving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I didn't hear the show today, but personally I'd love if it was Deeno joining the show. She could still do the news but be more involved with the lads aswell.

The 2 boys, 1 girl dynamic works very well on Beat 102-103's breakfast show here in the South-East.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

On the competition I agree it is too long, if it was going to be a two week thing they should have a winner from each week who battle it out on the last day or something. Hilarious that Ray asked ydays questions to the guy who won this morning and then Quilty had to re-do it on The Big Ride Home after 4. He slagged off Ray/JP/Adelle/Suze/Dennis for messing it up and then he had a wobble when he was doing the questions himself...so much so that JP popped into the studio to give him **** for it at 4:30. JP really is the hardest working man in radio...in there at 6 and there at 4.30 in the evening!

Given the podcast yesterday when they were discussing the change of personnel it definitely isn't anything to do with JP, my guess would be Deeno being more involved...or Muireann O'Connell perhaps since it was "a suggestion from the bosses" according to Ray that they liked. The more I think of it I think it will be Muireann joining the lads. I have to say the papers recap after 9 yesterday with Ray, JP and Adelle had me in stitches...bounced off each other so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Maybe he is going to start coming in on time the odd day for his own show.

buster180 wrote: »
    Maybe he is going to start coming in on time the odd day for his own show.

There's not a meeting in the world that could make him do that. :P

• Advertisement

Ann on the podcast today!!! :-) Ah jaysus I miss the craic between the three of them!

Today's podcast only bit is almost as long as the show itself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Was there not an announcement on the show today?

Nope, no announcement but didn't expect anything that soon. The way they were talking yesterday was it would be a few weeks down the line. Should give the podcast a listen tho, best one yet and the show part itself was really enjoyable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Wonder could Tracey Clifford be joining the show? I'm not basing this on anything other than the fact she is friends with ray, used to have a tiny slot on the old show and is currently not on air anymore.

Hmmm interesting point but not sure on that. Would she really leave one breakfast show in the malt house and go straight to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Could Ann Gleeson be joining the show. She mentioned on the pod cast only bit that she was in the office already at 9

She was great on the phone so I think it would be great to have her on the show.

Is hector taking over the old Fenton slot on today fm so could Ann want to jump ship.

Hope it something good as the last time they were really excited was for the secret sounds hitch ain't exactly original. Even D'arcy does that

I would love that but highly doubtful, they addressed why Ann didn't come with them on the podcast a few weeks back.

Louise Duffy seems to have that slot for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Where would hector go then

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

"Ronald dip****." Quality radio

• Advertisement

As far as I know he's only filling in for Dempsey, he hasn't signed a deal with TodayFM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Wonder could Tracey Clifford be joining the show? I'm not basing this on anything other than the fact she is friends with ray, used to have a tiny slot on the old show and is currently not on air anymore.

Tracey is still with Spin, she was doing the request show on Saturday evenings.

I don't see where they need to add to the the personnel, they have two presenters, a producer, a broadcast assistant and Adelle seems to be involved, what else do they need to add. Adding another presenter would be pointless really, i wouldnt stop the main problem which is that the lads don't get to express themselves due to all the commitments a breakfast show has.

Last time they had an announcement they revealed the secret sound which is just rubbish, something Ray would slag other shows about doing.

Interesting to see what they do with it anyway, could be good, could ruin the show too.

Maybe they're introducing a Cash Call and a Fugitive to the show, to complete the trifecta of sh*te local radio gimmicks? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Did they do the Fugitive thing before? Like at the real start of the breakfast run? It seems familiar... I could be mixing up with iRadio though, they love all that kind of ****e. (I do have a soft spot for iRadio though, as they brought us Chris and Ciara).

If Deeno's back in the Malt House I could the announcement being her having a bigger role in the show. It might be a way for Adelle to step back a bit too. I know she doesn't be on the show *that* much, but I'm sure she's enough to be at as assistant PD without being on air all the time too.

It won't be Tracy Clifford I don't think! And the difference with this change as opposed to the secret sound is that they said that something would be replacing reasons to be cheerful on air and in fairness it is a 5 mins slot so its not like they could have, or intended to, reinvent the show with that announcement. This one they have not really talked about on air but was more on the podcast only parts. Loved Fridays podcast. Renaming JP as "Antndec"...brilliant!

As for Adelle, she seems to want to be involved in the show, on Friday in the podcast when they called the boss Michael she introduced herself as "Adelle from The Ray Foley Show". So hopefully her role will stay as is

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

I think I remember Foley saying recently (maybe NTN) that he wants to do The Fugitive and he seemed pretty genuine about it which I was surprised by. While it would be great to have Ann back on the show, I can't see that happening. It would be a step back towards the old show which they're clearly trying move on from. Epic podcast on Friday.

Actually I think they did do the Fugitive in the early days alright. Not 100%, but pretty sure they did.

It's odd, Foley seemed to genuinely feel the Fugitive and secret sound were good ideas (think he said on NTN that those were things he wanted to do when he decided to move to 98).

Now, obviously that could all be an act and we don't really know what he actually thinks about it, but to me they're the type of segments he would absolutely rip other shows to shreds for if they did them. But I suppose even if he hated them, he probably doesn't have that much of a choice in the matter.

I don't think they have done that at 98FM. They did something similar on TodayFM in conjunction with Kit-Kat I think a few years back and it was decent because they didn't make it easy for people.

I think the talk about secret sound and the fugitive is kind of a mute point, they are doing the secret sound and may end up doing the fugitive...in fairness they take up 5-10 mins of airtime so its an easy competition for them to do and there is rollover potential for the prize which is why marketing people in 98 probably like it, would get a lot of buzz the higher it gets obviously.

Wonder if anything will be revealed this week on the show about the personnel change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Did they do the Fugitive thing before? Like at the real start of the breakfast run? It seems familiar... I could be mixing up with iRadio though, they love all that kind of ****e. (I do have a soft spot for iRadio though, as they brought us Chris and Ciara).

If Deeno's back in the Malt House I could the announcement being her having a bigger role in the show. It might be a way for Adelle to step back a bit too. I know she doesn't be on the show *that* much, but I'm sure she's enough to be at as assistant PD without being on air all the time too.

I don't think the fugitive has been done for a good while now, in fairness to it, as a station wide promotion it can really capture peoples imagination, especially if theres a decent prize.

I would be suprised if Deeno was going to do anything more with the show, newsreaders are meant to stick to current affairs, she does more for the station than just the bits on the show, probably not a great idea to have her move into a presenting role.

• Advertisement

I don't know about Deeno, like Ray started as a newsreader, JP on sports so its not unusual to see people move into more presenter roles from those beginnings. Louise Duffy was ex AA roadwatch I think? News reading is a way into the industry so who knows!

Advertisement